• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oroville Dam situation: evacuation order lifted, spillway repair underway

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how it looks so tiny until they show a person or machine to give perspective.

Figuring that mass in terms of dump truck loads that must be hauled away, the average commercial dump truck can carry up to 18 cubic yards of material. That's 55,556 truck loads that will be hauled away and dumped near the dam.

wow

Rommel

Makes the up to $200 million dollar clean up and repair bill make sense.

Bet they wished they had forked out the money in 2005 when they first started noticing problems with it.

Bet they wished they had forked out the money in 2005 when they first started noticing problems with it.

Sadly when engineers and the people handling the money clash, it's hard for engineers to convince the budget planners that preventative maintenance is better than reactive maintenance.

Most of the time you get a "well, do we HAVE to do this RIGHT NOW? Can't it wait?"

Well yeah it can, but it's gonna look bad and cost way more to fix this later...

Woorloog

Banned

Seems to me that a lot of time people are idiots. Preventative maintenance and other things are usually cheaper in the end. Belief in that status quo remains is utter idiocy.

Seems to me that a lot of time people are idiots. Preventative maintenance and other things are usually cheaper in the end. Belief in that status quo remains is utter idiocy.

I remember reading a story on L.A water pipes. They quoted a price of $1,3 billion over the next ten years to repair them, and for every ten years you waited the price would double.

holy shit!!! that's a ridiculous amount of erosion! the whole spillway is pretty much gone!!! seeing the water in action in that album thou, it's no surprise. that force is simply terrifying.

Steejee

Yikes.. I hadn't seen a picture of the main spillway's damage since the one of the original hole with the workers standing in it. I had no idea it had been ripped up so badly by the following flows. I don't know how you even begin to repair that. Guess they'll need to hope for a dry spell.

SkyOdin

Yikes.. I hadn't seen a picture of the main spillway's damage since the one of the original hole with the workers standing in it. I had no idea it had been ripped up so badly by the following flows. I don't know how you even begin to repair that. Guess they'll need to hope for a dry spell.
We're pretty much going to have to wait until summer before they can take the time to fully repair the spillway. While the rainy season should end before too long, the snowmelt during spring will contniue to feed the river for quite a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom