• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orphan Black - new Sci-Fi thriller - Saturdays on BBC America

Status
Not open for further replies.
qhTk50b.jpg

Orphan Black starts up tomorrow night at 9pm on BBC America. It's also airing on Space in Canada. The show stars Tatiana Maslany, as Sarah, a woman who discovers she is one of several clones. The show has been garnering some good reviews this week, and it seems like something that GAF might be into. I don't know too much about the show, but people seem to like the lead and the concept is intriguing. Check it out if you have the time and interest.

BBC America said:
About the Show

Sarah has always lived the life of an orphan outsider. But a clone is never alone.

Sarah hopes that cleaning out a dead woman’s bank account will solve all her problems. Instead, her problems multiply – and so does she. Experience a whole new side of BBC AMERICA with the channel’s next original scripted series, “Orphan Black,” the exciting and ambitious new addition to the Supernatural Saturday programming block. “Orphan Black” features rising star Tatiana Maslany (“Cas & Dylan,” “Picture Day”) in the lead role of Sarah, an outsider and orphan whose life changes dramatically after
witnessing the suicide of a woman who looks just like her. Sarah assumes her identity, her boyfriend and her bank account. But instead of solving her problems, the street smart chameleon is thrust headlong into a kaleidoscopic mystery. She makes the dizzying discovery that she and the dead woman are clones… but are they the only ones? Sarah quickly finds herself caught in the middle of a deadly conspiracy and must race to find answers about who she is and how many others there are just like her.
Orphan Black premieres Saturday, March 30, 9:00pm ET/PT, as part of BBC AMERICA’s Supernatural Saturday.

This suspenseful, sexy thriller also stars Jordan Gavaris (“Degrassi”), Dylan Bruce (“As The World Turns”) and Maria Doyle Kennedy (“Downton Abbey”). Orphan Black is executive produced by Ivan Schneeberg and David Fortier (“Being Erica”), Graeme Manson (“Flashpoint”), and John Fawcett (“Spartacus”). The drama is co-created by Manson and Fawcett, with Manson also serving as writer and Fawcett as director.

Videos:

Links:

Reviews:
- The Hollywood Reporter: Orphan Black: TV Review
It is, flat out, one of the most intriguingly entertaining new series of the year, and it’s so much more than pure entertainment. For a sci-fi series, there’s some real heft to it.
- Maureen Ryan @ Huffington Post: A Sexy Identity Thriller That'll Keep You Guessing
At its best "Orphan Black" has the feel of a reasonably entertaining, low-budget European crime thriller, half "Taken" and half "Luther."
- Sepinwall: BBC America's 'Orphan Black' has fun with the many faces of Tatiana Maslany
Basically, it's fun: creepy when it needs to be, light when it can be (which is more often than you'd expect, given the life and death stakes), doesn't look too cheap (it has an easier time than "Copper," in that it doesn't have to recreate an earlier time period). BBC America sent the first four episodes for review. I was going to watch just one or two so I could discuss it on the podcast, and wound up happily watching all four, and will likely stick with it for a while to see where it goes. That is all. Resume partying.
- Newsday: Thrill ride
A head-spinning, yet deeply humane, thrill ride.
- NY Post: Identity thief
An intriguing new series.
- Variety: TV Review: ‘Orphan Black,’ ‘Spies of Warsaw’
“Orphan Black” is essentially just an English-accented version of the CW’s since-departed “Ringer,” with an additional sci-fi vibe thrown in for good measure.

obin_gam

Saw sci-fi in the title and hoped it would be a series set in space :(

But this doesnt seem too bad so I'll check it out I guess.

This has been getting surprisingly great reviews, I'm on board. I think. If I can afford to pick up another drama.
I dropped a couple shows recently plus a number of things are finishing up in the next couple weeks, so I think I'll have space. I wasn't going to watch this, but the reviews have been good. Hopefully it's a pleasant surprise.

Slizz

I've seen so many commercials for this and they have been effective. I'm very interested in checking out the premiere.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This show has totally come out of nowhere. Wow. The reviews are looking good and the premise is intriguing. I don't have any time or space on my schedule for this, but what the hell - I'll watch it anyway.

I dropped a couple shows recently

Which ones, just out of curiosity?

- Houston Chronicle: 'Orphan Black' is ridiculously fun at times
But even when you're still trying to make sense of what's going on, "Orphan Black" is sufficiently enjoyable TV. As the second BBC-America-created series after "Copper," it may not forge any new pathways in the medium, but it is fun. And that's an increasingly rare commodity in new TV shows these days.

Which ones, just out of curiosity?
The Following, Community, Continuum, & Modern Family

R3TRODYCE

Read that wrong, thought the title said "Oprah Back- New Sci Fi Thriller" I was like she came back in a Sci Fi thriller? Da hell.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Fuckin BBCA doesn't have HD on Uverse and it's so hard going back. I'll still check it out.

Sober

The last thing I saw her on was another Canadian show where she also was a Sarah. She was on the radio the other day for an interview so now I'm excited to see what it's all about.

- Think Progress: ‘Orphan Black’ Star Tatiana Maslany On Science Fiction, Class, and Female Anti-Heroines

More reviews:

- Zap2It: 'Orphan Black': The dark sci-fi starts slow but builds the intrigue
The beginnings of answers do appear by the end of the episode, and they are definitely compelling enough to encourage continued viewing.
- TV Guide: BBCA's Dazzling Who-Orphan Combo
A tangy, sexy blend of sci-fi and Run Lola Run-style chase thriller
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: 'Orphan Black' deftly handles plotline of swapped identities
Of course, maintaining a conspiracy plot is a high-wire act and only time will tell whether writer Graeme Manson is up to the task over the long haul. But in its first two episodes, "Orphan Black" crackles with potential.
- LA Times: Multiple challenges, and rewards, in 'Orphan Black'
It's just as ridiculous as it sounds, chockablock with clichés, predictable exposition and some fairly whacked-out plot twists. But it doesn't matter because "Orphan Black" isn't so much about plot as it is performance, and as the series continues (BBC America sent out four episodes), the performances are pretty astonishing.
- Washington Post: BBC America’s ‘Orphan Black’: A stylish case of me, myself and I
“Orphan Black” has the same plain club soda flavor you get in most cable action dramas now, but I have to say that I’m enjoying some of its fizz.
- NY Times: One Woman, Multiplying Identities
By the end of the second episode, this tasty show starts to reveal that it is not just another identity-swapping story. Something creepily sci-fi is definitely going on.

Series premiere tonight:
Pilot

Sarah, a streetwise hustler on the run from a lifetime of bad decisions, witnesses the suicide of a stranger who looks just like her. Sarah assumes her identity hoping that cleaning out the dead woman's bank account will solve all of her problems. Instead, the street smart chameleon is thrust headlong into a kaleidoscopic mystery. After taking on the new identity, Sarah quickly finds herself caught in the middle of a deadly conspiracy and must race to find answers.

- Poptimal: Q&A With Co-Creator John Fawcett and Star Tatiana Maslany

Two more reviews:

- Hollywood Chicago: Clever ‘Orphan Black’ Joins BBC’s Supernatural Saturday
It’s remarkable how well Maslany carries the show. She’s an engaging, beautiful lead and her charismatic performance is the best thing about the premiere.
- Philly.com: Smart thriller heads new television entries
With its superb production values and terrific acting, especially from Maslany (man, she's something else), Orphan Black could very well turn out to be one of the best thrillers of the year.

TripOpt55

Sure I'll give this a look. Hadn't heard of it before this thread to be honest. Sounds interesting enough. I don't think it will have any DVR conflicts on Saturday.

Two more reviews:

- Onion A|V Club: Orphan Black
But for those who can look past the low budget and get over their fears about how on Earth this could possibly be a long-running series instead of a miniseries, there’s so much fun to be had in the depths of Orphan Black’s labyrinthine plotting and endless forward momentum, and there’s even more fun to be had watching the young woman at its center make her way through the maze.
- Matt Zoller Seitz: Orphan Black Doesn’t Connect
Orphan Black is a cool, clever show, and I don’t discount the possibility that it could become great, or at least excellent; but for now, both its tone and its premise seem worrisomely limited.

The premiere airs in an hour.

Effect

Watched the beginning but going to finish it up later as I'm recording on dvr. Seems okay so far. It's feeling like a show though that I have to be in the mood to watch.

I'm not surprised that she did that, but I'm surprised that they showed it.

EDIT: Vic is like a bizarro version of Rafi from The League. "Why Vic? Why are you such a dick?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom