• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Osiris being turned into Assassin's Creed Egypt?

Ntsouls

Banned
Just remove forced 3 hour tutorials. Open the game up more.

If you want to give us tutorials. Make it optional. God I hate this 3 hour tutorial. I get you have to set the story up. But you can do it better.

Guri

I didn't play IV, but they should stop using Desmond in any way if they plan to expand the series in my opinion. Just use other characters and other stories.

Derrick01

Banned
Honestly the only cool thing I can imagine about an AC game set in ancient Egypt are the "Assassin" tombs which would obviously be set in pyramids and be actual tombs filled with traps and puzzles. But then again it's an AC game so there wouldn't be any actual puzzles and it would all be guided. That's pretty frustrating because that setting lends itself perfectly to those things.

The rest of the game though I just can't see what would make endless sand and simplistic city design fun to play around in.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly the only cool thing I can imagine about an AC game set in ancient Egypt are the "Assassin" tombs which would obviously be set in pyramids and be actual tombs filled with traps and puzzles. But then again it's an AC game so there wouldn't be any actual puzzles and it would all be guided. That's pretty frustrating because that setting lends itself perfectly to those things.

The rest of the game though I just can't see what would make endless sand and simplistic city design fun to play around in.

I'm sure that Ubisoft would find a way to make the tombs as boring and lifeless as possible. They were only mildly challenging, but good fun at first in AC2. And that was in part because of the reward (the legendary armor of Altair, I doubt they can find something that sounds as good as that).

Now after the pirates were assassin, Leonardo Da Vinci was assassin side kick, the civil war was orchestrated by.. "Assassin"... So when we could get that Assassin Creed: Obama? Assassin behind the election with the setting of open world DC ala GTA? Or even Napoleon? Or Tokugawa? Assassin orchestrated industrial revolution, world war 1 and 2, even orchestrated Iraq war?
Gosh Ubi... Why everything is Assassin? It's not even fun or cool anymore.

Teknoman

Assassin's Creed would be AMAZING if the combat was just a bit more difficult and the platforming was just a tad less automatic.

Although an Assassin's Creed in Egypt would make me buy it just on the fact that i'm a sucker for well done desert areas.

EDIT: Also the only well done games I can think of in feudal Japan recently are the Onimusha series and Shogun total war. Its really not over done. Now cowboys on the other hand...

Cant we just get a fucking Assassins Creed set in China or Japan? I just want to see completely new architecture and setting that no one else has done. My dream game would be playing as a ninja assassin that actually uses stealth and you have to assassinate samurai lords across Japan.

Cant we just get a fucking Assassins Creed set in China or Japan? I just want to see completely new architecture and setting that no one else has done. My dream game would be playing as a ninja assassin that actually uses stealth and you have to assassinate samurai lords across Japan.

Ideally, no.

Because, returning to a setting that has beaten to death by the gaming medium is neither interesting nor exciting. And one of the most appealing parts of the AC franchise is that it dares to take us to times and places that no other games do. Feudal Japan is has been done. No need for this franchise to go there.

A dev confirmed before black flag that they wouldn't want to go to a location/time like that, specifically mentionally feudal japan. You can rest safely knowing that Assassin's Creed won't be overdone or cliche anytime soon.

Oh, thank god! :)

Axass

Well shoot, I forgot about that part. Let's hope that someone at Ubisoft is foolish enough to start a new IP set in Feudal Japan or WWII (that is not a shooter). Otherwise we will be stuck with exciting settings like New Orleans and other places during the American Revolution. To anyone at Ubisoft I would suggest California during the westward expansion or just anywhere with uninteresting buildings.

I see what you did there. And I agree.

Martian

That looks pretty dope, if they improve it (after AC3, I havent played AC:BF, so dunno bout that) I will buy
Maybe it's a spin-off?

Also: how many countries does desmond have ancestors of? Mine is pretty boring, just Dutchies and Germans. Desmond is from all over the world.

Marvel

could never
I hope it is Osiris rather than just an AC spin off... you can do so much with Egyptian mythos.

GYNGA

originalc1pta.jpg
Why is that pyramid brown?

XAL

didn't someone from ubisoft hint that watch_dogs and AC take place in same universe?

Far Cry 3 takes place in the same universe as well.

Abstergo logo: http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6905/farcry3d3d1120121130153.jpg http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc...BE36A879EAB26E3D7EEE162/1024x576.resizedimage
Abstergo file: http://ps3info.de/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Far-Cry-3-Abstergo.jpg

Japanese WWII/Edison Era connection to Abstergo/Genetic Memories: http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/4875067/3y7kjh.0_cinema_640.0.jpg

BeberMan

Neo Member
I honestly don't get it.
AC 1-3 spoilers:
Desmond is entering the Animus again and again, why? So that he can learn the skills required to face the Templars in modern day(Matrix style), right? So... For how long are they going to keep stretching the whole thing?
If they want to keep making open world games based on all sorts of periods and times then that's fine by me, but please - just finish this franchise. Give me an AC game that wraps everything up, focusing only on Desmond and modern day.

kazebyaka

Banned
I honestly don't get it.
AC 1-3 spoilers:
Desmond is entering the Animus again and again, why? So that he can learn the skills required to face the Templars in modern day(Matrix style), right? So... For how long are they going to keep stretching the whole thing?
Eh, wrong. Go and play them again.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I honestly don't get it.
AC 1-3 spoilers:
If they want to keep making open world games based on all sorts of periods and times then that's fine by me, but please - just finish this franchise. Give me an AC game that wraps everything up, focusing only on Desmond and modern day.
That's what they appeared to be leaning towards in 2, and even in 3, but then they pissed all over that and decided to milk it.

edit: not so much Matrix fighting, but my guess was that they'd get the location of something (
the apple
) in the Animus that helped them defeat the Templars once and for all and then you'd do what you do and bish bosh, story wrapped up.

I'd want an Egypt game to be something completely different. I don't think I've ever said that about a series before.

Why is that pyramid brown?

For that current generation feel.

Dennis

Banned
They will continue milking the franchise until it no longer sells.

And then at the end they will consider wrapping it up with a modern-day Desmond game but the game will be deemed not to be profitable enough so it will be canceled.

The End

XAL

You do realize that the whole picture is pretty dark... black clouds and stuff...

Yes, but the guy's hair is white and you can still tell it's definitely white.

You look at the pyramid and its primary color/hue is sand/tan/light brown - the same or darker than the sand on the ground, not white. Dark clouds casting a shadow or not, it would still be identifiable as white (since the casing stones on the pyramid were a very polished bright white).

Structure with limestone facade:
17.5-Million-Limestone-Mansion-in-Centre-Island-New-York.jpg

Taker34

Banned
Yes, but the guy's hair is white and you can still tell it's definitely white.

You look at the pyramid and its primary color/hue is sand/tan/light brown - the same or darker than the sand on the ground, not white. Dark clouds casting a shadow or not, it would still be identifiable as white (since the casing stones on the pyramid were a very polished bright white).

I don't think it is possible to say what the colour of the pyramid is. Maybe the artist did think that the Pyramids of Giza are brown, maybe he didn't tint the concept art properly... I simply wouldn't imply such a thing.

I honestly don't get it.
AC 1-3 spoilers:

That's what they appeared to be leaning towards in 2, and even in 3, but then they pissed all over that and decided to milk it.

edit: not so much Matrix fighting, but my guess was that they'd get the location of something (
the apple
) in the Animus that helped them defeat the Templars once and for all and then you'd do what you do and bish bosh, story wrapped up.

Eh, not really.

The Desmond story-arch was about heading off one particular cataclysmic event in the year 2012, not ending the Templar/Assassin conflict completely.

At no point did they suggest that succeeding in saving the world would end the Templar/Assassin conflict.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Eh, not really.

The Desmond story-arch was about heading off one particular cataclysmic event in the year 2012, not ending the Templar/Assassin conflict completely.

At no point did they suggest that succeeding in saving the world would end the Templar/Assassin conflict.

I've only just remembered that the AC2 ending happened. Well, right until the the ending it seems fairly normal in an "We have cool tech and there's the ancestor thing but everything else is normal" sort of way. But with every game they seem to have gone even further off the rails with the story. I'm usually fine with stories that others hate, but AC's gone in a fucking weird direction. The
apple
could have been used to magic some world saving event into motion, but it's turned into
Tron
or some shit. All of the Assassin/Templar fighting seems to be for naught in the grand scheme of the story, which as far as I understand seems to be the old ones doing whatever they want in an "us vs them" sort of way.

I've only just remembered that the AC2 ending happened. Well, right until the the ending it seems fairly normal in an "We have cool tech and there's the ancestor thing but everything else is normal" sort of way. But with every game they seem to have gone even further off the rails with the story. I'm usually fine with stories that others hate, but AC's gone in a fucking weird direction. The
apple
could have been used to magic some world saving event into motion, but it's turned into
Tron
or some shit. All of the Assassin/Templar fighting seems to be for naught in the grand scheme of the story, which as far as I understand seems to be the old ones doing whatever they want in an "us vs them" sort of way.

Well the
Apple
was never proposed as a means to stop the cataclysm. The Templars and Assassins were searching for them for a) the power (mind control, at least in a local area) and to keep them out of each other's hands, but more importantly b) the information they held. Both the Templars and Assassin's are trying to gather up as many as possible to put together the info to find the answers they're looking for.

I can't tell you what the storyline for AC4 is, I haven't played it yet. Waiting for the next-gen. I know the set-up involves you working for the Templar company Abstergo in their 'entertainment' division. Which seems kind of like self-satire at this point, but everything I've read suggests that there's more there, with a lot of intelligent hints about where the series is going forward as far as the core story-arc, and some suggestions that the whole 'creating a videogame' thing is basically a cover for Abstergo to have people scrub through the genetic heritage of various people looking for more information about the 'The Ones Who Came Before' as a result of the ending of AC3*.

I'll have to wait and see to verify that for myself.

For those who don't know, Desmond's data, his entire genetic memory was hacked into and uploaded to the cloud - unknown whether it was the Assassin's that did it to ensure that Abstergo couldn't cover up what happened, or if Abstergo did it because they wanted the ability to dive back into Desmond's head themselves. Based on the fact that Abstergo is diving back into Desmond's geneology again this time, it seems likely it was the latter.

More importantly, in saving the world from cataclysm, Desmond released Juno, one of the 'Ones Who Came Before'. She had essentially immortalized herself as a digital consciousness, not that different from the Patriots in MGS actually. Minerva warned him that Juno would attempt to conquer mankind as she had in the past, but Desmond said he would rather deal with that problem later than lose everything.

So between having a digital god running amok somewhere in the world, and having an Abstergo division devoted to scanning through genetic memory, my guess is that the crux of this second trilogy will be about the Templars trying to find clues and information and interaction points in the past between Assassins, Templars and Minerva, and trying to find a way to stop her. The Ones who Came Before don't really like Templars anymore than they like Assassins. AC4 puts you in the shoes of a man that's neither Assassin nor Templar... is this a warmup for the next game that puts you in the boots of a Templar? We already know at least one of Desmond's ancestors was one.

Top Bottom