• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of stuff to do in Diablo 4? "Take a break and go play something else," lead developers say

Spyxos

Gold Member
u4RXBuuUK2gTZ6XmHdki8P-970-80.jpg.webp

Diablo 4’s first seasonal update, Season Of The Malignant, begins later this month. Though developers at Blizzard have some advice for max-level players who have run out of stuff to do: “Take a break and go play something else for a while.”

“When you’ve reached all the goals and done the things you think are important, take a break,” said associate game director Joseph Piepiora, “we do the same.” He continued to explain that “a great time to come back” to the game is when a new season launches “and there’s new things to come check out… that’s exactly when you should come back and check out Diablo 4 fresh.”

“I’ll be honest,” said another developer on the panel, “when the next [World Of Warcraft] expansion comes out, there’s a non-zero chance that I’m gonna be playing [that] for a while. But it’s great to know there’s a point that I can come back to Diablo 4 and everyone’s on an even footing.” You can take your new character back to the base game (the eternal realm) at the end of the season, thankfully.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Not wrong. People bruteforcing through a 100-hour game in a week probably need to go out and look at the sky.

This.

You will never, ever satisfy these people. You could drop a 20 hour DLC on a Friday and they’d be whining about needing more content by the end of the weekend.

There’s no point of even trying. The actual, legitimate answer to this problem is for these losers to find something better to do with their lives.

Topher

Gold Member
I finished the campaign and I'm taking a break. Good time to switch gears and play some Oblivion for a bit.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I finished the campaign and I'm taking a break. Good time to switch gears and play some Oblivion for a bit.
I ran through the campaign twice just to see how the Rogue faired against the Barb in like for like instances but I too am on a break likely until Season 1 drops

The guy who runs FF14 said this about their game as well when people started complaining about lulls in content between patches.

It's a reasonabale stance for a dev to have. Everything is so hype-focused nowadays that people no-life their way through content in a couple of days to be part of a trend and then complain that there isn't anything left to do.

DryvBy

Once you get to 50, the end game is pretty pathetic. I feel that they had something with D3 after all these years but they took several step backs and made a very boring end game. Without RNG, this game suffers and there's only so many reasons to want to level up.

I play Hunt: Showdown several times per week for a few hours each. A meaty event with a 60 day timer dropped and people were bitching that they had blown through it three days after and that they were now bored and the event is "getting tiring".

Sorry devs can't create 2,000 hours worth of content to cater to your no-job-having ass.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
So far I've been having a blast reading random Reddit threads where hardcore Diablo stans couldn't cope with the fact that the game is fucking boring and it's putting them to sleep. It's honestly quite hilarious.

Screenshot_20230704-151450_Reddit.jpg

Screenshot_20230624-220152_Reddit.jpg

blacktout

I honestly think it's best to play games slowly, an hour or two at a time, and just sort of gradually take them in without thinking too much about when (or even if) you'll finish them. I think this is even more true of games you really enjoy.

Gaming is experiential and experiences are ruined by rushing through them just to feel like you've accomplished something or soaking in the same repetitive grind for hours until your brain dissolves.

Luipadre

I mean he is not wrong. Diablo is a game you can pick up anytime if there is new content or season or expansion. Its not meant to be played all day everyday

Last edited:

acm2000

i mean its sound advice so wheres the story here? new content will come with time, they cant magic it out their asses.

there are literally unlimited games to fill your time with while waiting for your favourites to release/update

nikos

The problem is I'm not out of stuff to do, there's just no reason to do it with Season 1 around the corner. Aside from collecting the rest of the Altars of Lilith, the rest would pretty much be a waste of time considering we have to roll a new character.

Braag

It's honestly a good advice lol
The game lacks any reward in its end game past lv.80
Maybe check back in season 7 or 8.
I also quit D3 few months after release and only got back to it when expansion came out.

Puscifer

imo, the onset and availability of high profile streamers/youtube videos only catapulted this outlook, for better or worse.
Seriously, you see people angry at gameplay hours they wouldn't be able to achieve without being home all day. Where the hell do these people find the time?

Varteras

Gold Member
Took a break from D4 for now. Tried Immortal on PC. Honestly, it's not bad. I'm in it more for the story and I want to try that new Blood Knight class they announced for the 13th. If you're out of stuff to do in D4, play on mobile or PC, and don't mind a more simplistic gameplay experience, I'd give that a shot.

I missed out on D2 back in the day. Tried it a few months ago and it didn’t click. Bought D4 and I’m totally addicted… I feel as though I’m crazy with all the hate im seeing online.

Dynasty8

He's not wrong, headline seems very clickbait and trying to shine a negative light. If someone is no lifing a game during the first month and complains there's nothing to do....not the developers fault.

New content will never be created faster than how fast we are able to consume it.

Atrus

Gold Member
Diablo 4 is under-developed and lacks a number of features from D3 that could have been in from the start but was not prioritized or held back due to the “Live Service” format of the game.

Old games gave you the entire game for full price and then sold you on expansions.

The new game model is to sell the core game at full price as a vehicle to sell you more content via “seasons”.

The most hardcore players burned through the core game under the premise of the older D2 and D3 standard and found nothing was left in terms of replayability because the focus is on paying for seasons.

So far they’re claiming pay to play but not pay to win, but we’ll see how long that goes.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Fuz
Top Bottom