• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of stuff to do in Diablo 4? "Take a break and go play something else," lead developers say

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
This is just like the time I waited over a year for Infinity War to come out and then it was over in 3hrs.

• Empathy
Reactions: Fuz

Little Mac

Gold Member
Currently level 97.75. 9 more paragon points to go. Then I can rest before season and dream about the super rare uniques I'll never get.

Cant Stop Dave Chappelle GIF

killatopak

This is why seasons and ladders exist. Stop playing when you run out of stuff to do and return during the next season/ladder for new stuff.

Barakov

Gold Member
u4RXBuuUK2gTZ6XmHdki8P-970-80.jpg.webp

Diablo 4’s first seasonal update, Season Of The Malignant, begins later this month. Though developers at Blizzard have some advice for max-level players who have run out of stuff to do: “Take a break and go play something else for a while.”

“When you’ve reached all the goals and done the things you think are important, take a break,” said associate game director Joseph Piepiora, “we do the same.” He continued to explain that “a great time to come back” to the game is when a new season launches “and there’s new things to come check out… that’s exactly when you should come back and check out Diablo 4 fresh.”

“I’ll be honest,” said another developer on the panel, “when the next [World Of Warcraft] expansion comes out, there’s a non-zero chance that I’m gonna be playing [that] for a while. But it’s great to know there’s a point that I can come back to Diablo 4 and everyone’s on an even footing.” You can take your new character back to the base game (the eternal realm) at the end of the season, thankfully.

You make a psuedo-mmo out of Diablo and then tell people to go touch grass?
Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

Nydius

Big "Don't you guys have phones" and "We have a product for people without connectivity -- the Xbox 360" energy coming from them with this statement. And completely tone deaf to the legitimate complaints by the community. You run out of things to do well before you hit 100. 70-100 is an absolute slog of unrewarding shit, trash-tier loot where 99.9% of drops are vendor or dismantle fodder, boring ass legendaries, and now they've disabled the uber rare hunt entirely.

It's been fun watching the more casual players finally reaching the late game grind only to realize that the no-lifers who powered there in the first few days were absolutely correct. Late game/end game in D4 is awful. Almost as awful as vanilla D3. The game desperately needs its own version of Loot 2.0 and RoS already -- more difficulty tiers, more loot drops, better affixes, gear sets, etc.

But sure.. "go play something else" works when you want to ignore the actual issues the game has, I suppose. Activision Blizzard and Microsoft truly deserve one another.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
This.

You will never, ever satisfy these people. You could drop a 20 hour DLC on a Friday and they’d be whining about needing more content by the end of the weekend.

There’s no point of even trying. The actual, legitimate answer to this problem is for these losers to find something better to do with their lives.

It’s sort of a multi faceted thing. They clearly like the game if they are pouring that much time into it. The state of their life is whatever because not everyone gets married, is healthy, has friends, etc. But if this keeps them happy day in day out that’s great. When they run out of things to do they really are just poorly wording to the devs they want more of the dopamine trip.

A no lifer who is remotely smart has a cycle of games. This person can easily hop into PoE new league, Last Epoch, do a fresh D2R ladder run, or enjoy any one of the amazing new titles released this year.

There’s no need for D4 to have a never ending supply of content because no game really has that except maybe EVE? Or a multiplayer game like DOTA or LoL.

Best bet is to just cycle games. Even the hardcore no life content creators do the same and it is their “job” to play these titles. Most creators have already moved on until season 1. These guys should too.

I mean is he wrong? The majority of people maybe even didnt finish the campaign let alone reach lvl 100 in a single season that just got released. Who makes games that you indefinitely have stuff to do? These people that play 50hrs a week D4, thats their problem.

Mythoclast

Honestly I wish there were more games that didn’t demand so many hours per week. Between GamePass, PS Plus, Steam, Switch, buying Day 1 releases, sometimes gaming feels like a chore. As a 30+, it’s impossible to handle more than 1 live service game.

This is why I appreciate FF16 took a more linear approach this time around.

Corian33

I’m still playing but slowed down. D4 is perfect game for me because you can hop on whenever and accomplish something even if you only have 15 minutes. Between work and kids sometimes that’s all I’ve got.

I don’t understand, for example, people who got a map of the altars and then spent hours getting every single one all at once, and then complaining that it was an un-fun grind. It’s like, yeah, you weren’t really supposed to do it like that, you were meant to gradually discover them as you played.

I’m looking forward to starting a new class with the season and having the boost of extra stats from the get go. I haven’t even come close to maxing renown or clearing all the dungeons. There’s plenty of time for all that. The game will only get better and have more stuff over time, just enjoy it and play other stuff too. D3 has been around for 10 years, D4 isn’t going anywhere.

Once you get to 50, the end game is pretty pathetic. I feel that they had something with D3 after all these years but they took several step backs and made a very boring end game. Without RNG, this game suffers and there's only so many reasons to want to level up.

Man that's honestly bullshit for a game like this

FeralEcho

If you played through long ass game and did everything you could in week you've got some issues. This dev is right.
This is why this industry is so fucked and why devs feel the need to pad their games with meaningless sidequests or barren open worlds just so they can say to these losers "Look guys our game takes 100 hours to complete" even though only like 20 hours of that shit is actually engaging.I miss blockbuster campaigns that would take you 12 hours but you'd have the time of your life playing through that instead of slogging through the endless diarhea of the open world trope of nowadays' releases.

But "see that mountain,you can go there" and do fuck all when you get there.

Last edited:
Big "Don't you guys have phones" and "We have a product for people without connectivity -- the Xbox 360" energy coming from them with this statement. And completely tone deaf to the legitimate complaints by the community. You run out of things to do well before you hit 100. 70-100 is an absolute slog of unrewarding shit, trash-tier loot where 99.9% of drops are vendor or dismantle fodder, boring ass legendaries, and now they've disabled the uber rare hunt entirely.

It's been fun watching the more casual players finally reaching the late game grind only to realize that the no-lifers who powered there in the first few days were absolutely correct. Late game/end game in D4 is awful. Almost as awful as vanilla D3. The game desperately needs its own version of Loot 2.0 and RoS already -- more difficulty tiers, more loot drops, better affixes, gear sets, etc.

But sure.. "go play something else" works when you want to ignore the actual issues the game has, I suppose. Activision Blizzard and Microsoft truly deserve one another.

This. Btw I've only played 10 hours but these are legitimate complaints.

Why do gamers always seem to want to take the side of devs who have a clear disdain for their audience whenever this comes up?

Xylac

Neo Member
You dont run out of content in arpgs. In D2, D3, Poe etc. you run the same content over and over again. (see the d2 guys still running baal/mehpisto 20years later)

You either quit because you dont have fun anymore or you quit because you have achieved your goals for the season.

D4 has fundamental issuses in its core design (itemization, missing chat features, mobile UI, 4stash tabs for 5 classes, interesting builds etc etc)
The problem of D4 isnt the lack of content. It its the lack of fun.

I really don't get the bitching. I don't have a huge amount of free time, but if I paid a normal amount for a game and I'm getting 30+ hours, and then later will get another bunch of free content on a month or so, i mean, sounds good to me?

Braag

This is why this industry is so fucked and why devs feel the need to pad their games with meaningless sidequests or barren open worlds just so they can say to these losers "Look guys our game takes 100 hours to complete" even though only like 20 hours of that shit is actually engaging.I miss blockbuster campaigns that would take you 12 hours but you'd have the time of your life playing through that instead of slogging through the endless diarhea of the open world trope of nowadays' releases.

But "see that mountain,you can go there" and do fuck all when you get there.
This game is a live service game with season passes and in game shop and basically follows the Destiny formula.
Only it lacks any proper progress once you start reaching end game which doesn't even take that long to get to.

So it's very different from you typical single player open world game which is padded with meaningless collectibles to pad the game.

Hudo

Diablo 4 made me play through Diablo 1 for the first time (my first Diablo game was Diablo 2, I dropped Diablo 3 after my first play-through because I didn't want to play it again. And I dropped Diablo 4 after some hours because I wasn't having fun). And I gotta say, Diablo 1 is still quite fun. There's something satisfying about the a bit slower, more sparse gameplay loop. It really is more like a real-time nethack (without any of the deep bullshit). So I have to thank Diablo 4 for that, at least.

Diablo 4 is under-developed and lacks a number of features from D3 that could have been in from the start but was not prioritized or held back due to the “Live Service” format of the game.

Old games gave you the entire game for full price and then sold you on expansions.

The new game model is to sell the core game at full price as a vehicle to sell you more content via “seasons”.

The most hardcore players burned through the core game under the premise of the older D2 and D3 standard and found nothing was left in terms of replayability because the focus is on paying for seasons.

So far they’re claiming pay to play but not pay to win, but we’ll see how long that goes.

Wait you have to pay for each new season? I thought these were free updates

DavidGzz

Diablo 4 made me play through Diablo 1 for the first time (my first Diablo game was Diablo 2, I dropped Diablo 3 after my first play-through because I didn't want to play it again. And I dropped Diablo 4 after some hours because I wasn't having fun). And I gotta say, Diablo 1 is still quite fun. There's something satisfying about the a bit slower, more sparse gameplay loop. It really is more like a real-time nethack (without any of the deep bullshit). So I have to thank Diablo 4 for that, at least.

Yep, it's still awesome. Try out The Hell 2 mod. Here is a reddit page announcing its completion after several years. It's awesome!

Dread Burner

Neo Member
The guy who runs FF14 said this about their game as well when people started complaining about lulls in content between patches.

It's a reasonabale stance for a dev to have. Everything is so hype-focused nowadays that people no-life their way through content in a couple of days to be part of a trend and then complain that there isn't anything left to do.
100%
FF14 was designed with this philosophy in mind after Naoki Yoshida took over. He stated that unless this philosophy is accepted and implemented, he doesn't see MMORPGs and other time-intensive games getting popular again

Last edited:

Corian33

Wait you have to pay for each new season? I thought these were free updates
The seasons are free, but there’s a $10 battle pass for each one. Strictly cosmetic items. There’s a free battle pass also, but I’m not sure what all is on it.

The content of the season like story stuff, new items, and new mechanics is all free.

Last edited:

Sojiro

I only wish I had the time to just blow into a game at that pace, but even if I did, no way would I want to. People definitely had their shit buckets primed and ready for this game to release lol.

Vox Machina

Banned
He's right. I don't play every Path of Exile season for this exact reason. You'll enjoy the changed meta/new items/new mechanics more if you don't force feed the game to yourself constantly.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I don't see the appeal to this game. Back in diablo 2, atleast there was some challenge but here, when you die you respawn immediately. So why do people play it? The power trip?
????

Plenty of challenging shit in Diablo 4.

*Beating tier 100 NM dungeons
*Beating Uber Lilith
*Playing Hardcore

The game isn’t easy mode if you’re the type who wants a challenge.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Once you get to 50, the end game is pretty pathetic. I feel that they had something with D3 after all these years but they took several step backs and made a very boring end game. Without RNG, this game suffers and there's only so many reasons to want to level up.
How could the series go from super addictive Mephisto, Baal and Cow runs... to what it is now.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I agree with the developer. I put in over 100 hours and still have loads to do. Some of these people have put in nearly 1,000 hours.

unlurkified

Sure, that’s generally good advice, but c’mon, we waited 11 years for a sequel and the endgame (NM dungeon running) is pretty much identical to D3’s endgame of just running rifts over and over. It just gets boring fast. The endgame content is just half-baked.

Top Bottom