• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of stuff to do in Diablo 4? "Take a break and go play something else," lead developers say

Filben

The fact that you have to spell that out for some gamers is quite baffling. I mean, such an alien concept to actually finish a game and move on... what novelty.

This seems hard to grasp for some life service disciples but if you think how much (or few in most cases) meaningful content is released in these games... it's mostly collectables and cosmetics to keep you in the treadmill and to suggest you get something of value, stretch your gameplay so you're more prone to spend money on digital deadwood. But real content like new gameplay mechanics, new stories, new areas, new interesting characters to meet... that's not gonna happen on a "seasonal" basis and even if so, it's okay to stop playing and wait for such content.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The fact that you have to spell that out for some gamers is quite baffling. I mean, such an alien concept to actually finish a game and move on... what novelty.

This seems hard to grasp for some life service disciples but if you think how much (or few in most cases) meaningful content is released in these games... it's mostly collectables and cosmetics to keep you in the treadmill and to suggest you get something of value, stretch your gameplay so you're more prone to spend money on digital deadwood. But real content like new gameplay mechanics, new stories, new areas, new interesting characters to meet... that's not gonna happen on a "seasonal" basis and even if so, it's okay to stop playing and wait for such content.

To be fair, as a live service game Diablo 4 has almost none of the trappings of the genre to drive up engagement:

No daily bonus.
No weekly activities
No FOMO tactics

Thus it is very possible to be “done” with it and that was obviously a conscious design decision. We should be celebrating this kind of design in a live service.

mopspear

I distinctly remember making the Warframe subreddit unhappy by suggesting they "play something else" once they run out of endgame content. I'm having a hard time seeing how I was wrong in this situation.

countnemo

Neo Member
Just go play spreadsheets in excel, you can probably make a macro so you can continue playing floating numbers the game in there.
This is the thing. Modern games try to appear "hardcore" when all there is to it is look at numbers and data from spreadsheets posted on websites like Icy Veins. There is nothing to figure out because games are designed for computers to figure out, not humans. There is zero discovery in these games. Just stop playing them.

Fuz

Banned
To be fair, as a live service game Diablo 4 has almost none of the trappings of the genre to drive up engagement:

No daily bonus.
No weekly activities
No FOMO tactics

Thus it is very possible to be “done” with it and that was obviously a conscious design decision. We should be celebrating this kind of design in a live service.
No. Fuck those assholes. They have a BP.

Top Bottom