• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Out of the Game Episode 14 (10/05/09)

minus_273

Banned
bandresen said:
I feel like such a fanboy for writing this, but here it goes: Someone tell me if that quote by Shawn is in jest:

(They are talking about the PS3 and the fanboys that need to validate their system. Specifically there are not enough 10/10's on the system versus the 360. Time mark: 25:30)
"And It has been in question for a long time, I know a lot of studios sort of have been waiting to decide whether or not they want to make their games for that platform. When it's a multiplatform thing, they've been waiting for a price drop and it has been in such a situation."

If that was serious, who were those studios? I remember Activision dude saying such a thing and he got universally ridiculed for it because he would be locking himself out of an install base which is 85-90% of its main competitor.
(Global numbers, of course.)

Or maybe an example of a company that pulled through with such a thing?
For me the above reason is completely ludicrous. I understand technical reasons and porting because it would add extra cost and the PS3 is shitty to program for. But because the PS3 is too expensive? Why would they be concerned, they have the numbers how many have been sold. They know what they lock themselves out of.

And a small note about the Uncharted 2 game review. I don't mind a 4.5/5.0 because I understand that Anthony and Rory are not the same person. But other reviews site operate under the single voice system. Gametrailers is notable because they omit the writer's name, which leaves them wide open to be compared to each other. And an ex-Gamespot reviewer has recently said on the Bombcast that everyone on the staff reads the review and gives input and that makes Gamespot it a single voice example too.

HAHAHAHAH. im ashamed to say i actually read that like a serious post until i got to the middle when i realized what you were doing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
so... any word on a new ep?

one second they're going weekly, the next they're going monthly.

sgnhh

Neo Member
FartOfWar said:
Here's some of my recent reading:

Rubicon
The Brain that Changes Itself
The Nine
Sway
The Forever War
The Paradox of Choice
How We Decide
Drunkard's Walk
The Chris Farley Show: A Biography in Three Acts
Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex
The Female Brain

Perhaps you've already read it, but you should look into Mary Roach's Stiff. I thought Bonk disappointed to a pretty high degree compared to Stiff (which is about cadavers).

Rahk

the_concierge said:
I wonder if this has anything to do with Shawn's in depth questioning of the whole MusicHub / music.ign.com editorial controversy that occurred recently? Because if so, that would be a shame.
I figured this might be the case, considering it happened in the last episode.

the_concierge said:
I wonder if this has anything to do with Shawn's in depth questioning of the whole MusicHub / music.ign.com editorial controversy that occurred recently? Because if so, that would be a shame.
Really? So, it's Take-Two/2K Boston not wanting to piss off IGN, as I can't imagine they care what Activision think
(unless another merger is on the cards, yay, and such actions are just cautionary).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Elliott's bosses slapping him on the wrists following the whole Twitter/Musi Chub thing seems like a likely scenario, especially now that it looks like their new game is about to be debuted.

Rahk

Calcaneus said:
Or, it could just be a joke?
Seems unlikely to be a joke considering it was a statement made in reply to someone on Twitter. If it was a joke, he'd more likely try to rope people in by making it public. Plus I don't think it's really something worth joking about.

StuBurns

Banned
I really hope whatever the deal is it's temporary. I don't think what he said was especially bad, it's not like he trashed a 2K game, everyone knows IGN is wank at best, it's hardly an out there criticism. Although it did seem a little like a witch hunt.

If it is true I wonder if they'll just never discuss games or he just won't join in. It could extend to stupid things like IPs relating to games. I wonder if he would be willing to comment on the BioShock movie for example.

Considering some of the things Levine has said on podcasts, I don't see why he'd be in trouble.

Akia

Funchameleon said:
http://twitter.com/ShawnElliott/status/5896786517

"@Tarmanydyn Out of the Game will return, however, I'm no longer able to discuss the gaming industry."

Not immediately. What happened with Shawn anyway?

Maybe its about the MW2 Controversy blog post he did. I'm sure that 2KBoston and IW have some mutual respect for one another or maybe people at 2KBoston have friends that work at IW (or vice versa). The games industry is a really small place y'know.

NYR

I hate to go after Shawn Elliot since he is all kinds of awesome (and 100% right about the music hub BS), but I've never heard someone IN the industry just shit on so many of his peers like he has lately - just not a good idea. You just don't do that, that is taught on the first day of "having a job" 101 - in other words, you don't burn bridges.

It is ironic though, the people who he is going after, journalists, reviewers and critics, might be the only ones who can do that kind of thing.

Firestorm

Is it industry or games in general? Was thinking it might be because he was talking about how he was looking at Halo like all FPS devs. Or did we already know 2K Boston was working on a shooter.

Weird that they'd do it over IGN. Everybody knows his stance on them...

neptunes

Is he apart of the marketing department at 2k? Why is he prohibited from providing his own opinions on certain aspects of the game industry. What position does Shawn hold at 2k anyway?
I'm not familiar with employment process at game studios, but is that outlined in any contract you sign?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
neptunes said:
Is he apart of the marketing department at 2k? Why is he prohibited from providing his own opinions on certain aspects of the game industry.
Maybe he's not prohibited from anything, but chose this stance for some reason. Who knows, right?

The consensus in the industry generally is that you don't talk shit about your competitors, just like it is in any other field. The few times it happens, the people involved somewhen start to see that it's really not good for the atmosphere and stuff, so they usually decide to drop it.

Happened a few times before.

Can't say I see much shit-talking by Shawn in the last few months though, to be honest. Maybe he went a bit out of his way with the Musi Chub thing, yeah.. But there was a point to it.

Anyway, it's not really our concern, right?

wmat said:
The consensus in the industry generally is that you don't talk shit about your competitors, just like it is in any other field. The few times it happens, the people involved somewhen start to see that it's really not good for the atmosphere and stuff, so they usually decide to drop it.

Has anyone let Randy Pitchford in on this industry secret?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
OmniAvenger said:
Has anyone let Randy Pitchford in on this industry secret?
He can do whatever the fuck he wants, I guess ;)

Some guys are like that, what are you gonna do, right?

Curufinwe said:
Heads of studios must get more leeway than fairly new employees.

This is why game development should be staged like WWE. Have some independent body write stories around devs stealing each others girlfriends and game code and crazy ass "He has an evil twin!" twists and attacking each other at E3. That would be much more interesting than a lot of the blathering that goes on. Give these fellas a script!

I digress.

Wasn't the latest OOTG recorded a couple of weeks ago? Seem to recall seeing something somewhere sometime that it was recorded.

Firestorm

wmat said:
Maybe he's not prohibited from anything, but chose this stance for some reason. Who knows, right?

Happened a few times before.

Can't say I see much shit-talking by Shawn in the last few months though, to be honest. Maybe he went a bit out of his way with the Musi Chub thing, yeah.. But there was a point to it.

Anyway, it's not really our concern, right?
IGN isn't a competitor though...

Calcaneus

Sometimes I get the impression that Shawn is embarrassed about video game culture and the fact that he works at a gaming studio

I think he secretly wishes he worked in a different field of some sort...yet he works at 2k Boston(which is not bad)

I remember him talking about going to graduate school or something like that

This might be the reason for his constant greifing and his sometimes pompous attitude

throwback yall

big_z

Russian Steve said:
Gerstmann-gate 2.0?

Any info reguarding the next episode?

when jeff was on 4guys1up i think he mentioned that they were recording the next OotG the next day. so i imagine it might be done but on hold until whatever is going on with shawn is figured out. i dont see why he *might* be in trouble, he only pooped on activision/ign for their shady advertisement page and that was rightfully deserved.

Calcaneus said:
Sometimes I get the impression that Shawn is embarrassed about video game culture and the fact that he works at a gaming studio

I think he secretly wishes he worked in a different field of some sort...yet he works at 2k Boston(which is not bad)

This might be the reason for his constant greifing and his sometimes pompous attitude

throwback yall
he wasnt pompous. i greatly appreciated him and jeff green calling out bullshit when they saw it. looks like that won't happen anymore.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
that was a throwback to an old post (think "I'm an expert")

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
DevelopmentArrested said:
he wasnt pompous. i greatly appreciated him and jeff green calling out bullshit when they saw it. looks like that won't happen anymore.
To be fair, it's not really clear who they're trying to educate with the critique - the people who listen to their podcast probably aren't deceived by that marketing backflip in the first place, and the marketers already made their mind up. So it's really just ranting, if you think about it.

Calcaneus said:

throwback yall

TIME PARADOX!!

Come on guys throw some change our way.

Calcaneus

DevelopmentArrested said:
I love what they do, I was just referencing/quoting an old creepy post about him.

I wonder if Shawn no longer talking about the gaming industry extends to no longer talking about games at all, because that would suck if so. Hell, it sucks even if it's limited to talking about the business/development/coverage of the industry.

stuburns said:
I really hope whatever the deal is it's temporary. I don't think what he said was especially bad, it's not like he trashed a 2K game, everyone knows IGN is wank at best, it's hardly an out there criticism. Although it did seem a little like a witch hunt.

If it is true I wonder if they'll just never discuss games or he just won't join in. It could extend to stupid things like IPs relating to games. I wonder if he would be willing to comment on the BioShock movie for example.

Considering some of the things Levine has said on podcasts, I don't see why he'd be in trouble.
Probably just won't discuss if he's on.

And we might know their names equally well (relatively), but in development Ken Levine is head honcho, and Mr. Elliot is a small fry. I always feel it must be weird to be say the lead on MySims: Agents and have the internet blathering on about Jeff Green (who I manlove), but by his own admission came in half way and just rewrote some dialog & quests.

Top Bottom