• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast |OT|

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
fuck this game, I'm glad I have youtubed it. Will buy on a sale though as I was scared to watch it. Amnesia is next.

EGM1966

Whelp finished it and it was pretty good overall. Terrific start and it held well I thought until about three quarters through. Some great sequences and the core engine and mechanics were very, very strong IMHO.

I only have three gripes, two more minor the other larger. First minor one is a little combat capability would have worked better here IMHO. It's quickly clear you're often dealing with other people not monsters - so in reality you'd definitely be willing to grab something and hit them. I know they were channeling Amnesia no combat just run but it does give rise to suspension of belief issues at times when you're clearly in a position to grab something and just whack them. I guess it might hurt the overall mechanic design but I felt it should have been there as an option in some places.

Second minor one is the true danger your foes represented - for the most part it was actually pretty easy to escape and you seem able to take a fair bit of punishment apart from when encountering a few select foes. I guess they were balancing between the problem of frequent re-starts vs the tension of making an escape and hiding somewhere - but they game actually felt a little too forgiving to me if you did get too close to enemies.

My major gripe is the ending - not so much how the narrative played out although I thought it was pretty weak with an obvious reveal - but how the mechanics fell apart in the final sections into a trial by death running extravaganza where all tension and fear evaporated due to frustration and poor design. It was a real shame to find the final sections a somewhat lame experience that totally reversed the previous measured tone in favour of rushing around and trying to inject a sense of urgency. The nature of the final threat didn't help and I though was a mistake too - better definition of what your final foe could/couldn't do and taking an approach the allowed for continued stealth would have worked better IMHO.

But as I say overall I can forgive the weak ending as the rest was so strong and, TBH, whether in books, films or games almost all horror narratives fall apart if they chose to have a big plot reveal and explain what's been going on. Knowing is never as good as when it's all unknown it seems for these tales.

Would love to see something like Dark Corners Of The Earth with this engine.

muffs92

So I was so scared by Amnesia: TDD that I stopped at the water monster part, but I had no problem playing through Outlast, which in my eyes is actually a much more terrifying game.

I think I have to chalk it up to Outlast feeling much more like a game compared to the more narrative based ambiance of Amnesia.

Also I really didn't find A Machine For Pigs scary at all and was left quite disappointed in the end.

I guess I have Red Barrels to look forward to my horror gaming pursuits.

Gah, I LOVE this game! I've only put in few hours...but damn. It's absolutely fantastic so far. It reminds me a ton of Condemned, which I'm all for. From the enemy designs, to the sound, to the weird creepy clandestine stuff. All of it is fantastic!

Is there any word of a possible sequel? I know I haven't even finished but I definitely would like to see more quality horror like this.

red731

Just finished it. This was my second sitting with this game.
When I started with the game for the first time I played one hour. Now, I've finished it in second sitting within 5-6 hours.

I took my time and even in stress, I remained in the area to explore - sometimes. I've found many documents and made many notes.

It was psychologicaly scary and the atmosphere it created was superb. I must admit that I won't touch this game for a long time.

Playing this at night with 5.1 was awesome. I recomend this game as someone who doesn't play many "true" horror games.

Fuck, how will I sleep now I don't know.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Finished this game last night and, yes, this is like Condemned. And just like Condemned, the last part ruined the game for me. :(

i'm moderately enjoying this game so far. i don't enjoy jump scares; they're a lazy and cheap "get". there's no narrative reason for me to be scared; just a bunch of creepy imagery i've seen a dozen times over and loud noises. the environmental awareness in the game is lacking. the lack of choice in how to handle confrontation is stifling and needlessly restrictive. i get that i'm a journalist, but i seem to have perfectly functional arms and legs enough to vault ledges and scale heights. just throw a punch you ninny.

Taruranto

i'm moderately enjoying this game so far. i don't enjoy jump scares; they're a lazy and cheap "get". there's no narrative reason for me to be scared; just a bunch of creepy imagery i've seen a dozen times over and loud noises. the environmental awareness in the game is lacking. the lack of choice in how to handle confrontation is stifling and needlessly restrictive. i get that i'm a journalist, but i seem to have perfectly functional arms and legs enough to vault ledges and scale heights. just throw a punch you ninny.

Pretty much my opinion. Liking the game so far, but nothing mind-blowing.

At least it feels much more like a "game" compared to A Machine for Pig, enemies can kill you and you are punished for that.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to playing more of this soon.

Just played through to getting the security card right at the beginning. Seems a bit crass, where style and music is concerned, but I really dig the camera perspective.

Is there ever a reason to not be constantly recording?

microtubule

Downloading a 1.1GB patch now via Steam.

2 new difficulty levels: Hard & Nightmare

· Based on your feedback, struggle mini-games have been revamped and the "mouse shaking" mechanic has been removed

· You can now disable motion blur and hide prompts

· Polish translation added

· General optimization and bug fixes

more info here

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
so, I ask this as non-cynically as possible:

is the whole game just "head into the dangerous area, hit some switches, and then escape"?

I'm ok with it, but I thought the respawn point in the basement section was kind of shitty.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just finished this.

It had some good ideas. I'd definitely recommend playing it, but there were some systems that were VERY exploitable.

For example, battery-refill on death actually made being killed a desirable thing. Getting a full charge is, on its own, kind of shitty, but not game-breaking. But then you start using this knowledge to haphazardly explore ares the first time you enter them, expecting to die. Aaaaaand then you realise you've basically found all three trinkets by accident on your "fake-run". Whoops/hooray?

I just finished this.

It had some good ideas. I'd definitely recommend playing it, but there were some systems that were VERY exploitable.

For example, battery-refill on death actually made being killed a desirable thing. Getting a full charge is, on its own, kind of shitty, but not game-breaking. But then you start using this knowledge to haphazardly explore ares the first time you enter them, expecting to die. Aaaaaand then you realise you've basically found all three trinkets by accident on your "fake-run". Whoops/hooray?

this is my biggest problem with the game. there's zero motivation for me to play in the way that i know it's creators intended. when there's no penalty and even a reward for death, what reason do i have to fear for my safety as a player? couple this with abusing the same gimmick repeatedly (
big bad stalks the area, avoid his aggro range
) and an incredibly weak and cherry-picked narrative? just blah.

Taruranto

Ahah, holy shit, the plot is so baaaad.

I can't believe they went with
nanomachines
of all things. I was laughing so hard at the ending part.

So Im playing through this and in enjoying it but I can't help but keep asking myself why doesn't the character we play try and find himself a weapon?

Anything would do.

A peice of glass, a brick, something to make a shiv out of.
You even go through a kitchen and there are these metal pots and pans hanging up. He should take one to use and bash in enemies skulls with!

dk_

Heh, just wanted to google scary stuff on my second monitor while playing, because this game doesn't appear to be that bad.

Apparently, Steam Cloud is supported (store page), but I'm not sure if that's referring to keybinds, or if it also includes save games being saved on the cloud. Anyone?

So Im playing through this and in enjoying it but I can't help but keep asking myself why doesn't the character we play try and find himself a weapon?

Anything would do.

A peice of glass, a brick, something to make a shiv out of.
You even go through a kitchen and there are these metal pots and pans hanging up. He should take one to use and bash in enemies skulls with!

ROLEPLAYING MUTHA #@$#@#@@..
When it comes to combat our hero is a wuss, the only thing he's fighting is his desire to wet himself when danger comes near.

Cerity

Given that this game is now on sale...

How bad is the post processing and effects in this? It's the main reason I never finished the first amnesia game, I spent most of my time feeling queasy more than feeling scared.

legacyzero

Banned
Given that this game is now on sale...

How bad is the post processing and effects in this? It's the main reason I never finished the first amnesia game, I spent most of my time feeling queasy more than feeling scared.

You're going to be walking in the dark alot, with a night vision camera. But nothing near as bad as the screen warping and such that Amnesia had.

Bought this in the sale, this is some good shit so far .... love this REC style camera stuff.

Poor Agent 47 however, things finally took a toll on him !

And finally done. What a game ....

Ending was kind of ... meh, tell all etc, and like others have said, you are running most of the time. But the rest of the game was pure class. Camera mechanic was great, and the game genuinely had me on edge (although slightly less towards the end, as you get a feel for the way things are done), and some jump scares that made me remove my hands from the mouse and keyboard.

Playing at night with headphones helps :p

Am i right in thinking some DLC is coming out ? I want MORE.

Scarecrow

Just finished this last night after buying on Steam sale. What a ride! I really enjoyed that. Would have liked the ending better if
the reporter had been steadily going crazy the whole time. The underground facility would be just a manifestation of his mania, caused by the injections the preacher gave him. He wants there to be a conspiracy so bad his head fills in all the blanks with 'fake' incriminating documents and a secret lab. In the end he's just become a new inmate.

Very stoked to try this this week on PS Plus. Question to those who've played? My wife's not a huge fan of horror games, but we do like playing through games together. Any chance we'd enjoy this together, or is it too much? Trying to see what I can talk her into :b

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Ahah, holy shit, the plot is so baaaad.

I can't believe they went with
nanomachines
of all things. I was laughing so hard at the ending part.

I came here hoping someone else felt this way.

What a let down.

Top Bottom