• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast |OT|

twins.jpg

Doesnt this remind you of anyone, gaf ? :p
Do they
want my liver?

Untracked

twins.jpg

I recognize the ears...

Just finished it and totally loved it, just wish it was a bit longer. The whole night-vision camera mechanic is fantastic, very, very creepy stuff.
It's up there with Condemned 1 for me, really hope we get another scary game from Red Barrels in the future, they clearly get it.

twins.jpg

That bit when they pursue you across a few rooms was really tense, reminded me of Call of Chulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, where you had to close the doors behind you, bolt them, move the furniture to block them... really intense and I love that in horror games, always ends with my heart jumping and that slight relief when the pursuit ends.

Jackpot

Banned
I really liked the last level.

I wish they hadn't been so predictable with the ending
It's every ending from FEAR all over again. Of course you "die", it's a horror game. A real curveball would have been making it out and hearing clips from news reports about your scoop. I really wanted to take those bastards down.

Razorskin

----- ------
I just reached the
female ward
, some intense stuff happening and thankfully I found a bunch of batteries.

I just reached the
female ward
, some intense stuff happening and thankfully I found a bunch of batteries.
Funny, I hit the
male ward
and I don't think I've been routed back to the
female ward
as of yet. Curious if there are two branching paths there and if they play out significantly different or not.

TentPole

Funny, I hit the
male ward
female ward
as of yet. Curious if there are two branching paths there and if they play out significantly different or not.

Nope. The game is pretty linear; you'll get there eventually.

jaaz

Played for about 3 hours tonight. Good stuff. Not all that scary--I found Amnesia much scarier--but then again I'm not really scared by jump scenes. I almost always see them coming. I'm more prone to being scared by the story line and psychological scares.

I also think part of the reason is that I'm not finding the enemies all that scary. Their art design is a bit weak. Prefer the Silent Hill / Amnesia "WTF is that" enemy. Too much of the same condemned-type enemies. The game is at its best when they talk to you, however and the atmosphere it creates. After about 3 hours the dread of that damn asylum made me want to take a break. It was suffocatingly bleak--loved it!

BTW, the priest reminds me of Preacher from HL2: We don't go to Ravenholm.

Razorskin

----- ------
Funny, I hit the
male ward
female ward

If you're referring to the part of the sewers with the male and female ward sign, the female ward end leads to a locked door, so no branching paths.
You just end up going there later on.

NoirVisa said:
You barely did any commentary in the beginning..and that was perfectly okay, the unknown of your surroundings was tense..by heck yeah was that chase something to start babbling about, keep it up i'm looking forward to where you go from -snip- -snip- :|

Yeah man I thinking to myself "how much worse can it get?" Just a fyi though me and the fiancee are moving into a new house tonight so earliest Ill have a new video is Sunday night if I get everything situated by then. More are def coming though, so thanks for watching. :)

Beat the game yesterday and overall I really enjoyed it. Hated the ending, for many of the same reasons other have
it was FEAR, but nowhere near as good. They could have at least let you control the vengeful spirit at the end
. I think I played for about 3 1/2 hours, worth the 16 I spent, I have the feeling I missed quite a few documents though so I might go through it again. Here's hopping that AMFP will tie me over until GTA.

eXistor

Just finished it and I really didn't like it any better the further I got. Very predictable and fairly boring to be honest. The mission objectives really got on my nerves, I just wanted to get it over with but the game keeps on going, repeating the same trite theme-park haunted house type scares over and over. The final stretch sucked as well, such a cop-out.

I don't get the hype for this one at all and I love horror games, this one just really goes against my idea of a good horror game. Here's hoping A Machine for Pigs manages to be just as good as Amnesia 1; show them how it's done.

derFeef

I just don't like the objectives this game gives you. Turn two valves, switch on two generators. It's boring and idealess. With a game that well made it also relies too much on jump scares and stuff like that. I do like the chasing sections, when the game is quiet and has shocking moments - the atmosphere and setting is fantastic. But yeah, it feels too gamey sometimes.

I wish it would have been just on linear game instead I guess.

Yeah man I thinking to myself "how much worse can it get?" Just a fyi though me and the fiancee are moving into a new house tonight so earliest Ill have a new video is Sunday night if I get everything situated by then. More are def coming though, so thanks for watching. :)

*darthvadernooo.gif*

but seriously, congrats to you and the fiance on the new place, I'll still watch the rest to see how you react to the next sections!

Hey, Red Barrels! Can you do the next Silent Hill game please? You got what it takes.

iAnloQvtEhQY1.gif

This game is the opposite of what Silent Hill should be and how it should develop its scares. Not to say it's all jump scares or anything like that, there's some really good, old fashion tension, but this game is very far away from what Silent Hill is or even what it has developed into in recent years.

Momentary

Banned
I'm not really a horror snob. The game was pretty good. I'm not sure what horror experts are looking for, but this had everything I was looking for. Great game. After this it'll be time for Amnesia: AMFP. I gotta get my heart ready for Daylight.

derFeef

Hey, Red Barrels! Can you do the next Silent Hill game please? You got what it takes.

The studio has some strong skills like world building, tension and level design. But they should rethink some of the structure like objectives an backtracking in those "arenas". I hope they get to make a sequel and improve on the shortcomings a lot.

legacyzero

Banned
iAnloQvtEhQY1.gif

This game is the opposite of what Silent Hill should be and how it should develop its scares. Not to say it's all jump scares or anything like that, there's some really good, old fashion tension, but this game is very far away from what Silent Hill is or even what it has developed into in recent years.

The studio has some strong skills like world building, tension and level design. But they should rethink some of the structure like objectives an backtracking in those "arenas". I hope they get to make a sequel and improve on the shortcomings a lot.

I agree. Silent Hill is more obscure, and doesn't need jump scares to do it's job. I'm more talking about the idea that they are good about atmosphere, environments, etc.

From someone on another forum:
Just wanted to post an update about the AA in Outlast; I sent an email off to Red Barrels about the issue and got this reply:

"While I cant make a firm promise let me tell you that we will definitely try to bring anti-aliasing in a patch shortly, likely MSAA.

- Rejean"

derFeef

I agree. Silent Hill is more obscure, and doesn't need jump scares to do it's job. I'm more talking about the idea that they are good about atmosphere, environments, etc.

Yeah for sure, the game soaks you in and everything is goddamn believable. I was reminded of Sanitarium, Condemned, Call of Cthulhu and other games. It's just that Outlast makes itself less out of it because of weird design decicions that seem to come from somwhere else entirely.

edit: my english is bad, time to go to bed ;)

Off-topic but I'm still really bummed about Downpour's enemy design. It did so much right, but the enemies came from some completely bland, non Silent HiIl Universe and it really took so much of the fear out and because of their bland nature outside of a few there wasn't really much to interpret either. Some of the side-quests had unique, terrifying encounters and it's a shame the entire game's enemy design wasn't as creative.

Going to try to finish this tonight, chickened out last night after a short time to play more Rome II :D

I just finished this up. While I think Red Barrels have their hearts in the right place, the overt gamey-ness of many parts with collecting x amount of a given item to proceed, weak scares that don't have much long lasting impact, and a lack of unpredictability in its enemy AI really unravel its ability as a horror game to immerse me into its world and create a sense of dread the longer I play. However, I do think it has some good atmosphere and visuals. The setting of traversing an insane asylum sounds good on paper and has been done before, but its the execution of it that I find very underwhelming.

Because of the issues I have with the game, it feels more like I'm progressing through a mostly static haunted house at an amusement park rather than a living world where I would need to be cautious of any patient that I walk up to. At its worst, I'd be startled by a patient that is behind a barrier who tries to reach out at me in the moment, but after that brief rush ends, he'll just stand there completely lifeless like a jack-in-the-box. The illusion of fear and danger quickly disappears which made me feel more detached from the world. Being encouraged to run away from an enemy in multiple directions and hiding under various things is cool, but more needless issues arise from that as well. They're issues that could have been easily avoided in favor of making the game more nerve-wracking yet Red Barrels insists on making the survival part of it not very challenging along with a healthy amount of batteries scattered around each section.

A lot of the game simply feels like missed opportunities that I could see a more creative team fixing or playing up on certain areas in a great way. Even the ending section felt misguided, which left more of a sour taste in me after finishing it.

Outlast has some good aspects to it, mostly relating to its good visuals and lighting, but I can't say I'd recommend it to players who are more familiar with the genre and its tropes. However, if you aren't too familiar with horror games then you could do a lot worse than this.

The story was really really poor. And some encounters dragged on like forever and became cheap at the end (The big guy arrived in 2-3 times in exactly the same way. At the end of an corridor.) The whole second half of the game was like a running simulation. Only a few parts were running wasnt a good plan. The design of the enemies were not great.It had a huge creepy factor with night vision... but when you see them in the light its like "I was scared of that thing?".

If they improve things like story,pacing,enemy design,level design (the second half of the game) and encounters, i could see them making a horror masterpiece like Amnesia (Frictional Games had nearly the same issues in Penumbra and managed a few of them in Amnesia)

I wish those guys good luck on their next title.

DukeBobby

What's the general verdict of this game? Is it terrifying?

It's terrifying at first, but it soon becomes rather predictable. You know where the jump scares are going to be, and the enemies are easily avoided due to their poor AI and slow running speed.

It's still worth playing if you enjoy horror games, but it is definitely not as terrifying as Amnesia.

~Kinggi~

Banned
This game is damn brilliant. One of the best horror games made. But i guess that doesnt say much as there arent a whole lot of horror games that actually scare well. Hopefully Amnesia has ushered in a new age opf horror games. Games that want to land on youtube making little boys cry.

jaaz

And never look at the notes. They're all bad, weirdly sarcastic and don't fit within the narrative.

I noticed the same thing. They sound like they were written by a frat boy, not some supposedly respected member of the press. It was disappointing, felt childish. I haven't finished it, so I thought maybe that's part of the asylum getting to the character, making him lose his mind literally, but maybe not. Others who finished it would know.

By contrast, Amnesia had some great notes and narrative--drafted quite well and period specific. Red Barrel should have spent some dough on a good writer.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I noticed the same thing. They sound like they were written by a frat boy, not some supposedly respected member of the press. It was disappointing, felt childish. I haven't finished it, so I thought maybe that's part of the asylum getting to the character, making him lose his mind literally, but maybe not. Others who finished it would know.

By contrast, Amnesia had some great notes and narrative--drafted quite well and period specific. Red Barrel should have spent some dough on a good writer.

I disagree. I actually felt it refreshing personal notes reflected what the guy was actually thinking, cause i sure as shit am not going to be a master writer in a situation as fucked as that! Wouldnt be writing at all actually, which is why the notes just felt like his thoughts instead of written content.

Razorskin

----- ------
Hey guys, does anyone know how to properly turn off the Motion Blur?? It's making me queasy... The one in PCGamingWiki isn't working..

5# Remove Motion Blur

FIRST OF ALL: I don't recommend turning off Motion Blur if you are getting like 30fps or less, BUT if you are above 60fps I think is a good Idea to Turn Off Motion Blur. :)

REMBEMBER: Check the box read only in this .ini file.

Open "OLSystemSettings.ini", change this:

MotionBlur=True
MotionBlurPause=True
MotionBlurSkinning=1
AllowRadialBlur=True
MaxFilterBlurSampleCount=16
MobilePostProcessBlurAmount=32.0

▶ ↓To this:↓

MotionBlur=FALSE
MotionBlurPause=FALSE
MotionBlurSkinning=0
AllowRadialBlur=FALSE
MaxFilterBlurSampleCount=8
MobilePostProcessBlurAmount=16.0
----------------------------------------------------------------------

OR -- Download THIS to Replace your config and turn Motion blur off (but you can do it manually (Look just above).--> (You may have to change the resolution and other things, Only recommended if you don't exactly know how to do it manually)
So you can download this file made by LoneWolfDon and just replace it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i0t6dhppi8mkio8/OLSystemSettings.zip

Thx to LONEWOLFDON

Slightly different than the fix I linked another person in the thread. Hope it works for you, remember to check read-only

Kydd BlaZe

The game reminds me of Condemned for some reason.
I'm too much of a chicken to play this myself, but I've been watching some let's plays on YouTube, and I'm getting the exact same vibes. This game really reminds me of Condemned. This looks like something that Monolith (before they turned to shit) could have put together.

Artanisix

Very fun game, pretty scary to boot. There are some really frightening sections of the game that build some sweet atmosphere and all that good jazz. Completely loved the way your body interacted with the world and it's something I'd love to see in Amnesia. The night vision was also incredibly well done.

Negatives: Bad enemy design (for the most part, the penis lord dudes are pretty awesome), repetitive gameplay at the end (fetch the key! pull two levers! twist three valves!), consists mostly of jump scares instead of building a steady terrifying atmosphere (although it does have its moments). Also had some really immersion-breaking bugs, if I get the time I'll link the exact twitch times from my stream.

Either way still enjoyed it a lot, totally worth the price. Really looking forward to Amnesia 2 in the next few days.

Enemy design seems truly terrible from the first 20 min time but the jump scares mang... fuck them, they really got to me haha. If they keep going like this I could see it lose its effect, but man I was shitting myself doing that intro.

Top Bottom