• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast |OT|

Well, finished it. Overall, loved it. Not the scariest game ever, but it is quite creepy. Notes and journals are interesting and I quite enjoyed the ending to be honest. Yea it's no masterpiece in terms of conclusion, but does the job.

I did find the game a bit on the short side, though. Maybe that's a good thing in this case? :p

Pimpbaa

This game ain't scary. Those guys playing it in those animated gifs early in the thread are massive pussies.

Nemic77

The game has the right foundations for greatness, yet... It loses some of its appeal when you become aware of somethings, such as
enemies always checking the closet, bed next to you and proceeding to leave the room afterwards.

Still, with the new Amnesia coming next week, I can't help but feel that It won't match the atmosphere of Outlast. The Unreal 4 engine works wonders and surpasses the STALKER series in atmosphere, in my opinion...
The part where you are momentarily without your camera is just amazing. You get a much better glimpse at the lightning.

I finally got the internet installed at my house and have downloaded this game. I'm a huge horror buff and am looking forward to playing this tonight. Will post a link to my stream when I get it going.

djshauny

Banned
I'm enjoying the game. It relies heavily on jump scares. Some work, but you can see alot of them coming the longer you play.

Still, if you are a survival horror fan its worth picking it up.

A solid 7/10 for me so far.

I will never peak around corners ever again.:(
outlast1_by_xbulletz-d6l6pxa.gif

The game has the right foundations for greatness, yet... It loses some of its appeal when you become aware of somethings, such as
enemies always checking the closet, bed next to you and proceeding to leave the room afterwards.

Still, with the new Amnesia coming next week, I can't help but feel that It won't match the atmosphere of Outlast. The Unreal 4 engine works wonders and surpasses the STALKER series in atmosphere, in my opinion...
The part where you are momentarily without your camera is just amazing. You get a much better glimpse at the lightning.

Regarding the first spoiler, that's not always true.
I thought that at first but one time with the huge guy I was chilling in a locker waiting for him to leave. He checked the locker next to me and then yanked me out of my locker and threw me on the floor. It was such a shock because I'd convinced myself it couldn't happen. Also the Doctor found me under a bed a few times.

I'm really enjoying this so far. I don't really play horror games to get spooked, most only startle me a little. I like to play for the setting, atmosphere, and story. Story isn't anything special so far but loving the setting and atmosphere. And the gameplay is helping me enjoy it a lot.

While I enjoy Amnesia, I got tired of the whole "hide and wait" part. I enjoy being able to run away and be able to jump or slide under things. I first thought this was either gonna be a bad Amnesia style game or worst another Slenderman game. Luckily it's not either.

I'd like to see them do a sequel and improve on some of the ideas here. I still plan to get the new Amnesia but I'm not sure I'll be able to enjoy it, going back to the whole hide and wait style of gameplay.

I'm really enjoying this so far. I don't really play horror games to get spooked, most only startle me a little. I like to play for the setting, atmosphere, and story. Story isn't anything special so far but loving the setting and atmosphere. And the gameplay is helping me enjoy it a lot.

While I enjoy Amnesia, I got tired of the whole "hide and wait" part. I enjoy being able to run away and be able to jump or slide under things. I first thought this was either gonna be a bad Amnesia style game or worst another Slenderman game. Luckily it's not either.

I'd like to see them do a sequel and improve on some of the ideas here. I still plan to get the new Amnesia but I'm not sure I'll be able to enjoy it, going back to the whole hide and wait style of gameplay.

Honestly, so far, I've put about an hour or so into both games and I've done more hiding and waiting in Outlast then Amnesia. Take that for what it is.

Regarding the first spoiler, that's not always true.
I thought that at first but one time with the huge guy I was chilling in a locker waiting for him to leave. He checked the locker next to me and then yanked me out of my locker and threw me on the floor. It was such a shock because I'd convinced myself it couldn't happen. Also the Doctor found me under a bed a few times.
I had the same thing happen. The game lulled me into a false sense of security, so when he was outside the lockers, I thought "Time to wait for a minute". I grabbed my water bottle and was having a drink, then BAM, he opens the locker and throws me out. That surprised me.

As for the game on the whole, it has incredible atmosphere and I love the feel of the character movement; they absolutely nailed it. However, I did become quite annoyed by the repetitive tasks. Go find these valves, these fuses, get that key, follow
Father Martin across the whole motherfucking asylum. Also, lets drop the camcorder so you need to backtrack right as you're getting close to him! Great idea! All it did was piss me off.

The game would have benefited from OHK enemies, as there isn't as much tension when you know you can take a few hits. It becomes viable to simply run straight past many of them, rather than wait for the coast to be clear.

The story is serviceable, I guess. If I were to put a score to the game, it would be about 7/10. I enjoyed it for the most part.

Just finished playing through this in one sitting. It was pretty damn good and sufficiently scary. Gets kind of silly in the last half hour but everything up to that is raaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Just finished it. Had a great time. Plenty of atmosphere with great graphics and sound design.

If I had to rate it I'd give it a 7.8/10.

Not bad, but it definitely loses some of it's panache once you *not a story related spoiler*
realize that the enemies can be easily avoided by dosey doeing around furniture. You can just run them around in circles

Also,
*story related spoiler*
I loved the moment you lose your camera, you feel vulnerable as hell, and once you get it back, it's an awesome scare. I think what I loved so much about that particuliar moment was that up until that point, you get so many batteries, luring you into a false sense of security. But when it starts going in the quasi supernatural direction it gets a bit disappointing. I loved the the WWI and WWII references the story started going in, but I just didn't really like the outcome. The demise of Chubby Kratos was very anti-climatic as well.

All in all a great game, very much worth the $20 asking price. Anyone interested in a very atmospheric game with great graphics/sound design/score and scares should definitely pick this up. I loved it, it actually makes me wonder how good the next Amnesia will be, Outlast set a good pace and has me jonesing for more survival horror.

eXistor

Playing a bit more, the game feels extremely mechanical. It just takes no time at all to see through the game-mechanics and thus, all effectiveness is gone. I suppose that's where Amnesia takes the cake; even though that game has trigger-points, they feel more organic than here. I'm just not able to lose myself in Outlast, it's all very predictable. You have your jump scares like some guy suddenly jumping out at you, but then he just stands there, like a jack-in-the-box that just sprung out its box and then the scare is over and he's kind of...there.

Carcetti

Well, the game's installed. Tonight I'm gonna put on the headphones, wait until everyone in the house is sleeping and play by myself in total darkness. Then it's careful creeping down the hallway to bedroom and some terror-easing cuddling. If there's a better use for a horror game, I can't think of one.

What is performance like in various rigs? Settings options?

Played 5 minutes at the start with an ancient computer (5 years old?) and it played smoothly all on 'high'.

The machine for pigs is being recording but can't release till September 9th :D So those will be coming soon! :D Outlast will continue :D

Yeah, i peeped the first vid that was up, very subdued in comparison to Outlast, I'm fine with just Outlast, gonna peep part 3 later this evening!

Finished it. Very good pacing and being defenseless meant that I felt hopeless and scared the entire way through. I liked how it was very streamlined and didn't turn me off with clumsy maps and puzzles like most horror games. The video camera is the best horror game gimmick ever. I HATED the lamps in Amnesia, I literally gave up when I ran out of candles and went insane in the dark making it impossible for me to dick around with a puzzle.

Finished it. Very good pacing and being defenseless meant that I felt hopeless and scared the entire way through. I liked how it was very streamlined and didn't turn me off with clumsy maps and puzzles like most horror games. The video camera is the best horror game gimmick ever. I HATED the lamps in Amnesia, I literally gave up when I ran out of candles and went insane in the dark making it impossible for me to dick around with a puzzle.

There are puzzles in Amnesia but you'll be glad to know the lamp in the game never runs out. :D

Fricken loving this game. Amazing horror and something that I've been missing for a long time amid all these shitty mods and indie games that just copied Slender. I dislike how easy it is to evade enemies though and how they don't kill you almost instantly when caught, but it hasn't effected the game much overall

Still continuing my let's play of it too:

Part 2 - "EXTREMELY TENSE"

Part 3 - "FOLLOW THE BLOOD"

AkuMifune

Banned
Game is full of NOPE moments. And although I don't think it needs achievements, I wish there was one just for finishing it so I could say yup, I made it.

Think I'm almost there. Kinda wanna go back through already. Some of the environments are just so rad.

haikira

This game ain't scary. Those guys playing it in those animated gifs early in the thread are massive pussies.

Horror can be very subjective, same as comedy. There's been a lot of horror games almost everyone has considered terrifying, which I didn't find too bad, whereas Outlast really creeps me out.

Why do LP'ers have the need to post their faces on the photographs on the games they are playing? Isn't that a bit pretentious?

It's more of an indication to people of what they can expect. It also helps you stand out a bit more, having a simple thumbnail can be easily scrolled by but if people see a decently made pic then they might check it out.

When you search in youtube a lot of the thumbnails can look similar so by doing something to stand out makes sure you don't get as lost in the bunch

I think that for horror games people want those reaction cams, so those thumbs are a good indication that they'll find it there.

Basically yeah. I don't put my face in the thumbnails for the BF3 stuff I do or for the Last of Us walkthrough I did. It's only for the horror games because it shows people what to expect kind of. It lets them know the face they will be watching if they click on the video, if my face annoys them in the thumbnail they will know to skip the video then

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Finished my playthrough. Overall I found the game design a bit cheap - not so much a real stealth game with so many points where enemies just magically appear and start to chase you because you hit the script trigger.

The jump scares get predictable and feel mechanical pretty quickly.

I really got tired of the sound of the character's sniffly breathing after a while, and would have liked an option to disable the music.

Worth the money anyway, I'd say.

Top Bottom