• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Outlast |OT|

K.Sabot

Great Game
C43673588C8FFC09BB867C9BC1A66397B03304C3
That's some SCP shit right there.

I don't have a decent PC so will wait until PS4 release.

I did however, think it was a launch title that I heard the Developer or someone say?

Ah well, looking forward to it.

Afro

So damn good so far. Just standing outside the asylum in the very beginning with the autumn leaves whipping around you and the gorgeous sunset in the distance. You glance up at the facility and see a few dimly lit rooms, just waiting for that one shadowy figure to walk by.

You make your way into the building and feel strangely comforted by the shimmering hazelnut-brown hardwood flooring illuminated by the warm glow of a nearby table lamp.

That's how much I'm into this game after ~2 hours. Such rich, warm colors. Already begging for a sequel.

DryvBy

Really curious as to the comments about being too scared to play. There's certainly jumpy moments, but how in the world are you too scared to play a game?

I love this game, btw. Amazing atmosphere.

Jirotrom

Really curious as to the comments about being too scared to play. There's certainly jumpy moments, but how in the world are you too scared to play a game?

Some people are afraid to go to the dentist... everyone's different my friend

sunnz

I guess some people can find the atmosphere too eerie and such, making them feel uncomfortable.

It isn't that scary, correct and the atmosphere is incredible.

TentPole

... and done. Really enjoyed my time with it and thought it was scary as hell despite kinda falling apart at the end.

RangerX

Banned
Just purchased this 30 mins ago, really looking forward to trying it when the sun goes down. I only found out about the game a couple of days ago when a Gaffer made a thread about it so it was a pleasant surprise. Hopefully it scares the pants off me.

So I'm thinking of picking this up, mostly because my GF loves horrors, so I figure one we can play/enjoy together would be a good laugh.

Worth doing, or are there better horror games to get?

(I don't play on my PC all that much, despite it being perfectly capable)

So I'm thinking of picking this up, mostly because my GF loves horrors, so I figure one we can play/enjoy together would be a good laugh.

Yes def get it. Its a good group game from a few people I've talked to. People get all into it just watching.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

It's a good horror game, I think it would be fun to play together.

BUT for girlfriend/boyfriend time, I'm saying this as a personal fleeting thought as I know some couples who don't care about this sort of thing at all and some who care quite a bit, but there is a lot of penises in the game... I know that's a weird comment, but I think this is the game I've played with the most penises in it. That might mean nothing or everything to you, depending who you are.

But that doesn't detract from it being a wonderfully atmospheric experience, with some fairly good scary parts.

Afro

This would be even better if it controlled as smooth as Dishonored, but I guess the protagonist isn't supposed to be some ninja assassin, just a clumsy reporter.

Wish my footsteps weren't so damn loud though. He actually makes more noise crouch walking than he does walking normally. They should also tone down the heavy panting after a scare sequence, which doesn't seem to end no matter how long you rest.

Also seems you can open doors stealthily, but can only slam them shut.

Will post complete impressions after completion.

Excellent++ game so far.

It's a good horror game, I think it would be fun to play together.

BUT for girlfriend/boyfriend time, I'm saying this as a personal fleeting thought as I know some couples who don't care about this sort of thing at all and some who care quite a bit, but there is a lot of penises in the game... I know that's a weird comment, but I think this is the game I've played with the most penises in it. That might mean nothing or everything to you, depending who you are.

But that doesn't detract from it being a wonderfully atmospheric experience, with some fairly good scary parts.

Haha, I'm sure my lady won't mind. She's not a huge gamer, but she's amazed at how passionate I can be about games/gaming, so I figured a horror is a good start to show what games are capable of, and how they can provide a very different experience to a film or book.

Anyone know if it supports the 360 pad?

My KB/M skills leave a lot to be desired! :)

Haha, I'm sure my lady won't mind. She's not a huge gamer, but she's amazed at how passionate I can be about games/gaming, so I figured a horror is a good start to show what games are capable of, and how they can provide a very different experience to a film or book.

Anyone know if it supports the 360 pad?

My KB/M skills leave a lot to be desired! :)

Yes it supports the controller. :D

God damn it, the basement alone nearly did me in. It's getting really good right now and I can't wait for the rest of the game, I'm loving it. So many jump scares, though... The comparison to Amnesia is apt: I like its more extensive world interaction, but Outlast's character model and actual reaching for and grasping stuff made me feel much more immersed, too. The camera gimmick was a superb idea. It constantly reminded me of Fatal Frame and that's a good thing. There are quite a few batteries lying around so far, though, so I haven't really felt forced to ration them that much. Still, it's been a fantastic experience.

God damn it, the basement alone nearly did me in. It's getting really good right now and can't wait for the rest of the game, I'm loving it. So many jump scares, though... The comparison to Amnesia is apt: I like its more extensive world interaction, but Outlast's character model and actual reaching for and grasping stuff made me feel much more immersed, too. The camera gimmick was a superb idea. It constantly reminded me of Fatal Frame and that's a good thing. There are quite a few batteries lying around so far, though, so I haven't really felt forced to ration them that much. Still, it's been a fantastic experience so far.

I agree 100% on the animations and the camera. I wish Amnesia had an animation for opening and closing doors. Makes it more immersive and tense at times. The night vision on the camera is one of the best effects I've seen. It's so damn good and needing to change batteries at the worst times ratchets up tension a lot

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I should also mention I completed the game and loved it. I liked the change of pace in the final stage, but thought the conclusion could of been better. I also am in the camp who didn't think the game was too scary, though a few good scare moments and some great atmosphere.

The scariest part for me
was when you're outside in the storm and in the lightning you think you might see something a few times but can't quite make it out fully, getting a bit unnerved, only for you to eventually go open a door and suddenly... That moment was greatly built-up and got me actually really paranoid and tense as it dealt a great way with dealing with the unknown. The environment is much different and harder to see in than the previous environments, and it lends itself to a feeling of the unknown, especially as you think you see glimpses of something watching and coming closer to you but you can't quite be sure if it's your imagination or not.

AkuMifune

Banned
Love it. Just made it to the
Male Ward
before I had to go to bed. I'd say so far the only disappointment is that it's more manhunt and less call of cthulhu than I was hoping for, but it's minor, and I still have a ways to go. I also like the writing of the dialogue, but not the writing in the main characters notes. The rest of the stuff I really love.

Jackpot

Banned

People like to exaggerate and when it came to Amnesia it seemed like posters were trying to one-up each other over how short a time they'd last.

Razorskin

----- ------
Does anyone know how to remove the grain filter?

Here's a guide someone posted on the Steam community to remove it, along with some other fixes. *note that the grain filter doesnt go away completely with this fix..

http://steamcommunity.com/app/238320/discussions/0/846963710902292389/

[Tutorial] Change FOV, Remove Blur, Antialiasing, FPS, Textures, Resolution, Battery Life, Grain Filtert
[To Developers: Please, can you PIN this Topic and/or add this features to graphics menu? Thanks for this Awesome Game anyway :) ]
-
[sorry for my english if isn't perfect :) ]

HELLO.

Go to My Documents> My Games> Outlast> OLGame> Config

First of all make sure you make a backup of all the files (just copy all of them into another folder).

----------------------------------------- How to Change FOV -----------------------------------------

Go to "OLGame.ini", open it, look for "DefaultFOV=" and "RunningFOV=", defaultfov is by default at 90 but is not the 90 that all we now, it is like 65, so to get like 90 you have to write:

DefaultFOV=110.0
RunningFOV=120.0

This is like FOV 90 in other games (like Battlefield, etc)
.....................................................................................................

IMPORTANT: When you look through your camera you have the old defalut FOV, so to change the default Camera FOV, change this parameters:

---- (CHANGE CAMCORDER/ CAMERA FOV) ----

CamcorderNVMaxFOV=83.0
CamcorderMaxFOV=83.0

TO this:

CamcorderNVMaxFOV=110.0
CamcorderMaxFOV=110.0

(Note: 110.0 is my favourite but you can go higher or lower if you want (of course)

--------------------------- How to Change FPS limit (Uncap FPS) -----------------------------

So, to uncap fps open "OLEngine.ini" and look for:
bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE
MinSmoothedFrameRate=22
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=62

So change it to:

bSmoothFrameRate=FALSE
MinSmoothedFrameRate=0
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=0

(0 means UNLIMITED! LOL)

------------------------------------ Better Textures Resolution --------------------------------

In "OLEngine.ini" change this:

MaxProcBuildingLODColorTextureSize=1024
MaxProcBuildingLODLightingTextureSize=256

To this:

MaxProcBuildingLODColorTextureSize=2048
MaxProcBuildingLODLightingTextureSize=1024

----------------------------------------- Remove Motion Blur -----------------------------------------

Open "OLSystemSettings.ini", change this:

MotionBlur=True
MotionBlurPause=True
MotionBlurSkinning=1

to this:

MotionBlur=False
MotionBlurPause=False
MotionBlurSkinning=0

-------------------- Antialiasing (MSAA) [Working fine on my AMD GPU] ----------------------

In "OLSystemSettings.ini", change this:

MaxMultiSamples=1
bAllowD3D9MSAA=False

to this:

MaxMultiSamples=2
bAllowD3D9MSAA=True

(In "MaxMultiSamples=" you can use 2, 4, or 8 I think)

----------- [nVidia Users Only] Antialiasing (SGSSAA) (CalinTM) -------------

" CalinTM SAID:

To use SGSSAA, you need a nvidia GPU and follow these steps from here:

This does require a powerful system!

- Download Nvidia Inspector
- Open up the program
- Open up the Profile settings ( Tool button on the right side of driver version )
- Open the Outlast profile ( if you havn't created it yet, look in the previous section )
- Paste 0x000010C1 in the "Antialiasing Combatibility" section
- Set "Antialiasing - Mode" to: Override any application setting
- Set "Antialiasing - Setting" to: 2x [2x Multisampling]
- Set "Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling" to: 2x Sparse Grid Supersampling
- Set "Lod Bias" to: -0.500 for 2x
- -1.000 for 4x
- -1.500 for 8x

Note: you can set it to 4x or even 8x if your system is powerful enough, always be sure that the values in multisampling and supersampling match up.

Should look like this:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-wXxQY5OF4Ic/UieZZ_OSnHI/AAAAAAAAAc4/305PasjIkFc/s919/AA.png

Also if you want to enable Physx on the GPU instead of CPU, modify this to False
bDisablePhysXHardwareSupport=False (found in OLEngine.ini) "

----------------------------------------- Change Resolution -----------------------------------------
In the same file, look for:
ResX=
ResY=

Change it to whatever you want (800x600, 1920x1080, etc)

For Example:

ResX=1920
ResY=1080

----------------------------------------- Change Battery Life -----------------------------------------

Go to "OlGame.ini" and change this: BatteryDuration=150.0
to the desired value. I think it is measured in seconds, so 150 seconds.

For Example: BatteryDuration=300.0
for 300 seconds of battery life (I THINK)

----------------------------------------- Modify Grain Filter -----------------------------------------

Go to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Outlast\Engine\Config

Then open "ConsoleVariables.ini" and underneath "[Startups]" write: "ImageGrain = 0.0" or the desired value.

So it looks like:

[Startup]
ImageGrain = 0.0

YOU MAY HAVE TO SET -READ ONLY IN MOST OF FILES
ALSO MAKE SURE YOU MAKE BACKUPS OF ALL YOUR .INI FILES.
(If you don't have a backup and sadly your game does not start up, please write a comment or contact with me)

Afro

Here's a guide someone posted on the Steam community to remove it, along with some other fixes. *note that the grain filter doesnt go away completely with this fix..

http://steamcommunity.com/app/238320/discussions/0/846963710902292389/

thanks for this. i love the grain filter, but the motion blur is a bit much.

EDIT: disabling the motion blur doesn't work for me. i change both to false and the "skinning" to 0, launch the game, and it's still there. then when I go back to the .ini file again the settings are reverted to default. hmm.

Razorskin

----- ------
thanks for this. i love the grain filter, but the motion blur is a bit much.

EDIT: disabling the motion blur doesn't work for me. i change both to false and the "skinning" to 0, launch the game, and it's still there. then when I go back to the .ini file again the settings are reverted to default. hmm.

Right click on the file you're modifying > properties > checkmark "read-only"

I'm stuck, I know what to do but don't know how to do it. How do you do a backwards jump off a ledge?

Edit: NVM, I didn't need to do that.

Longshot

Just played over an hour in the early mornings here, I made it up to the part where
you restart the generator in the basement and wind up in one of the asylum rooms
. I must admit being chased by one of the inhabitants of the asylum is quite a terrifying experience.

Loving it so far, the camcorder with the night vision filter is a wicked idea.

SHarris78

Just played an hour whilst the sun is still up. IF I ever play this at night, i'm keeping some spare undies close by. This and Amnesia in the space of a week!

So are people dying in fear from playing this, or simple not playing it because they are wimps? This thead is so quite and creepy... much like the game at times.

One question: my laptop is really slow and i could play this at a resolution of 1024x768 on low settings. I don't think i'll get a decent pc anytime soon, but i was wondering if by playing it at that resolution the game would loose so much that i would ruin the experience.

What do you think?

I started it and it looks fine, like the art direction and intrigue makes up for the lack if details?

Ugh... not if one's parents are sane, or aren't part of a religious tradition that demands it. :p

Heh, now a days the numbers are dwindling and it's becoming more well known that the procedure is largely pointless if not outright abuse but for a good while it was recommend by most doctors in the U.S. That has changed now but my mostly non religious family were recommended to snip me up and so I remain as such :D

In any case, downloading this now but I'll probably wait a few hours to start the game up so it's completely dark.

Top Bottom