• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over 100 million US residents on welfare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

commedieu

Banned
My faith in this site is immediately diminished by the fact that the article has two links in it that that link back to the same article.

Its the same as the RT story.

-9.img_assist_custom-640x465.png

Where I live, people are satisfied living off welfare, unemployment and food stamps the rest of their lives. My parents have a small business and need employees, but we can't find anyone that's willing to work. A few months ago, a woman called for her husband wanting to know if we needed anyone. When my mom told her we did, she said that he wasn't really wanting a job. He was just calling so he could keep his unemployment. I know of quite a few people that sell their food stamps, too. The system really needs to be reformed.

If you are a mother with more than one kid and no husband you can live like a queen on welfare and food stamps. Some women in my neighborhood have anywhere from 2-5 kids and get around $800-1,000 in food stamps alone plus welfare cash, so in their minds they have it made.

yeah, sure they have it made. rolling in dat govt. dough. Such a luxurious lifestyle.

In my experience, a heck of a lot of people abuse the system when they don't need it.
Yeah, mostly by rich people hiding a lot of wealth in the Cayman Islands and getting tax cuts.

Awesome

Banned
So in your eyes, a family of 6 that makes $250-$400 a week can live like royalty?

This... this is a parody right?

I think it's pretty clear that some people here can't understand sentences and just create their own ideas in their minds.

So no, what I wrote wasn't " in my eyes ", learn to read better, and stop being hostile.

pigeon

Banned
CHEEZMO™;40848687 said:

I'm pretty concerned about that 0.4%, actually. 46 million people below the poverty line means almost 200,000 people who don't have a fridge! How do they keep their food cold?

RDreamer

If you are a mother with more than one kid and no husband you can live like a queen on welfare and food stamps. Some women in my neighborhood have anywhere from 2-5 kids and get around $800-1,000 in food stamps alone plus welfare cash, so in their minds they have it made.

Hey, they're just getting all the money they're legally entitled to, and not a penny less!

diffusionx

Gold Member
Where I live, people are satisfied living off welfare, unemployment and food stamps the rest of their lives. My parents have a small business and need employees, but we can't find anyone that's willing to work. A few months ago, a woman called for her husband wanting to know if we needed anyone. When my mom told her we did, she said that he wasn't really wanting a job. He was just calling so he could keep his unemployment. I know of quite a few people that sell their food stamps, too. The system really needs to be reformed.

I don't dispute this. My question is - what type of jobs are available in your area? Can a person live off the wages your parents' business is paying?

I ask because so many parts of this country have been decimated and the jobs left don't pay a decent wage, or more than government services pay. So it's perfectly logical to not take the job. The way out of this problem isn't really to cut the services, but to try to get better jobs in those areas.

5 kids on 12,000-18,000 a year, sounds like the good life to me!

Loki

Count of Concision
30 years of wealth. Trickling down.

This. This is an absolute EMBARRASSMENT as a nation. That's a THIRD of the population. Meanwhile, the Walton siblings alone have more wealth than 50% of our nation combined, and the top 1% control 70+% of all wealth. Great nation we live in. <roll eyes>

qcf x2

And so that's 1/3 of the country that Republicans are saying is the problem. Idk how they figure this benefits them, unless they're really going all out for the rich vote.

seriously!? over 100 MILLION? holy shit...thats one third of the population, and over 3 times as much as Canada's entire population!

Awesome

Banned
The sad thing is that the number is only going to be getting bigger, in the next 5 years 50% of the country might be the number.

commedieu

Banned
The sad thing is that the number is only going to be getting bigger, in the next 5 years 50% of the country might be the number.

That is really insane when you think about it. The math is adding up. You have so many people always trying to downplay anything acting as if its normal, but shit is bad for people. Anyone who has a job is damn lucky.

Crazy.. Us population 314,126,759.

Measley

The Republican plan to solve this is to give the rich more tax breaks, and make it harder for state governments to pay for education, public workers, and infrastructure. They also plan to gut stuff like planned parenthood, medicaid, pell grants, and welfare.

While the rich sit on piles of more cash, they will eventually toss some of it to the rest of us, and we'll all get rich!

Eventually.....

Awesome

Banned
That is really insane when you think about it. The math is adding up. You have so many people always trying to downplay anything acting as if its normal, but shit is bad for people. Anyone who has a job is damn lucky.

I am really scared for everybody.

Awesome

Banned
Is it realistic to say we will never see 5% unemployment again and will be stuck in the 7% range for a long time to come?

It's only going to get bigger. The biggest problem is the fear of people losing their jobs so they save up their money instead of spending it so there lies the never ending cycle. Credit can only go so far and a lot of americans are relying on that to get by.

What's insane is that Romney wants to cut benefits of these 100 million people, so they can be REALLY hurt with no recovery in sight...until the great regression of privileges. Aside from that though, jobs really are a huge problem for now and later from a natural point of view.

People talked about forever displacing american works in the future...that time is now.

commedieu

Banned
So. Where are jobs going to come from? Now that the USA has outsourced everything?

I think the one solution is for americans to buy more local products, at normal costs, from normal people. Not huge businesses that shut down all the original mom&pop\family stores. I think its something we just have to do. Take the more expensive product, but hopefully the quality comes with that quality as well.

We enjoyed bargain bin deals, but they came at a price. Need to bounce back to a sustainable system. Buying the cheapest quality product is not sustainable.

What's insane is that Romney wants to cut benefits of these 100 million people, so they can be REALLY hurt with no recovery in sight...until the great regression of privileges. Aside from that though, jobs really are a huge problem for now and later from a natural point of view.

People talked about forever displacing american works in the future...that time is now.

:)

Were in a transition! Service economy! New normal!

No our jobs are being outsourced and too small a percentage of the population is holding too much of the money for it to be spent back into the economy.

commedieu

Banned
Were in a transition! Service economy! New normal!

No our jobs are being outsourced and too small a percentage of the population is holding too much of the money for it to be spent back into the economy.

So, what are you thinking? Any ideas?

People are going to have to start bartering or something. The financial meltdown is leaving too many of us without a pot to piss in, yet we have the capabilities to grow food and find other types of work that can take care of a family. Something has to be tried... I really liked that School/Food Program in the Bronx. Ideas like that need to keep happening.

pigeon

Banned
So. Where are jobs going to come from? Now that the USA has outsourced everything?

Two-thirds of the American economy is service providing, which is notoriously difficult to outsource since you can't really go out to dinner in another country. Given the number of economies which are basically dependent on exporting stuff to US, I suspect we could reach an equilibrium where almost all Americans are white-collar or pink-collar. At the same time, I'm hoping the Internet will continue to enable small businesses and fight economy of scale. I guess we'd be going back to the artisan days....

According to an excerpt from the committee’s new presentation, nearly one-in-three US residents receive government assistance — and that’s not even including those benefiting from Social Security or Medicare.

This is worded in a way it could include financial aid or the earned income tax credit

commedieu

Banned
Two-thirds of the American economy is service providing, which is notoriously difficult to outsource since you can't really go out to dinner in another country. Given the number of economies which are basically dependent on exporting stuff to US, I suspect we could reach an equilibrium where almost all Americans are white-collar or pink-collar. At the same time, I'm hoping the Internet will continue to enable small businesses and fight economy of scale. I guess we'd be going back to the artisan days....

Good points. Bold: Thats my problem. Right now, we supported so many companies that exported the cheapest products to us, that closed down the rest of smaller businesses that were tied to people and neighbors. Yea, clearly you cant out-source service jobs. But service jobs are severely low paying. The Internet will continue to bring jobs, but i think a lot has to be done on the local level. And locally, people have to be willing to pay the extra dollar to keep the economy going, rather than run into this again. I'm sure there are a myriad of reasons that contributed to the way things are. But We've got to experience what it means to have a wallmart on every corner, we've got to see what happens when capitalism is at full speed. Everyone lies, cheats, and steals to make a dollar. Leaving a wake of nothingness behind them. The point is to just make more money, not to sustain an economy.

Measley

It's only going to get bigger. The biggest problem is the fear of people losing their jobs so they save up their money instead of spending it so there lies the never ending cycle. Credit can only go so far and a lot of americans are relying on that to get by.

Well that, and the fact that there's a lot of dumbasses in the country who aren't educated enough to take the jobs in the fastest growing sections of the economy.

Cheebo

Banned
You must have missed something. People are joking about other Gaf members who have said these exact things. They were dead serious.

Also, people on welfare need to get a job, and pull themselves up by their own bootstraps.

Its too bad. RT is a good source of news, and covers more than Kim Kardashian. Sure, they have their propaganda, but so does everyone else. Like this story for example.

No they aren't. They are government controlled propaganda, the worst kind of propaganda. Especially coming from a place as corrupt as the Kremlin. Come on man, avoid that site like the plague. It's like trusting a news story from the North Korean government.

So, what are you thinking? Any ideas?

People are going to have to start bartering or something. The financial meltdown is leaving too many of us without a pot to piss in, yet we have the capabilities to grow food and find other types of work that can take care of a family. Something has to be tried... I really liked that School/Food Program in the Bronx. Ideas like that need to keep happening.

Well in my life I had never planned on demanding more than a 50% tax rate on the rich, but after they have had the gift of 34% payroll tax and 15% on capital gains i think they should have to make up for those 10 years of having a ridiculously low tax rate. Raise the teax rate for those making over 250,000 to 42% and 25% for personal and capital gains, and raise it to 65% and 35% on anyone who makes over 1,000,000 per year in combined income. Hold that tax rate for 10 years to make up for the last 10 years of insanely low taxes for "the job creators". Spend that money on infrastructure and get it flowing back through the economy.

Jimothy

Well in my life I had never planned on demanding more than a 50% tax rate on the rich, but after they have had the gift of 34% payroll tax and 15% on capital gains i think they should have to make up for those 10 years of having a ridiculously low tax rate. Raise the teax rate for those making over 250,000 to 42% and 25% for personal and capital gains, and raise it to 65% and 35% on anyone who makes over 1,000,000 per year in combined income. Hold that tax rate for 10 years to make up for the last 10 years of insanely low taxes for "the job creators". Spend that money on infrastructure and get it flowing back through the economy.

The government doesn't need to raise taxes to spend more. High taxes on the rich are in good for income equality, but they don't supply the government with funds to spend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom