• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over 100 million US residents on welfare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

commedieu

Banned
No they aren't. They are government controlled propaganda, the worst kind of propaganda. Especially coming from a place as corrupt as the Kremlin. Come on man, avoid that site like the plague. It's like trusting a news story from the North Korean government.

Nah, I disagree. Every story I've seen of theirs is usually mirrored by the BBC/CNN/Huffpo/Nytimes/and eventually fox. Like this story for example, the RT story was actually written, and not just copied and pasted. Its all propaganda, but I'm not going to ban Al Jazera's coverage of a subject, unless its bleeding in an absurd level of bias, which unfortunately I just haven't seen from RT/AlJAz. News is biased everywhere. I understand the hate, but by the same reasons that RT would be banned, I can't imagine it not being the same case for other state run media services. They covered Occupy Wallstreet when no one else would.

Republican Party representatives sitting on the Senate Budget Committee plan to present Congress with their latest findings on welfare programs in the United States this week, and their research reveals that the number of US residents receiving federal assistance isn’t only on the up but now is at its highest ever in the history of the country.

According to an excerpt from the committee’s new presentation, nearly one-in-three US residents receive government assistance — and that’s not even including those benefiting from Social Security or Medicare.

The committee’s findings actually put the figure of US residents on welfare close to around 107 million, which appears substantial when compared to statistics from only a few years ago. During the first quarter of 2009 when Barack Obama was inaugurated as president of the United States, roughly 97 million US residents were on the receiving end of federal programs.

And although the committee’s research does not take into account Social Security and Medicare, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), or food stamps, more than makes up for that exclusion: the study finds that the number of American receiving SNAP benefits have doubled in barely a decade.

Source.

Mock if old.

What kind of assistance are they getting if not food stamps?

How can 100 million people be getting aid if some of those people aren't getting food stamps or SS or am I reading this wrong?

The concept is that the numbers are filled with most who don't deserve to be on it, and that Obama has lowered the standards and at the same time Obama fucked up the economy so Legit people need to be on welfare. Perhaps that's too logical though?

I suppose it would be logical if the assumptions had any basis in reality.

Although even in said hypothetical scenario it would be idiotic to cut welfare before first improving the economy to the point where "legit" people are no longer on welfare.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The concept is that the numbers are filled with most who don't deserve to be on it, and that Obama has lowered the standards and at the same time Obama fucked up the economy so Legit people need to be on welfare. Perhaps that's too logical though?

Its logical, but its almost certainly wrong by almost any measure. Statistics still show that people are on welfare for short bursts to compensate for hiccups in their life. (although I'm assuming here that "people who don't deserve to be on it" is the standard "welfare queen/king" figure)

diffusionx

Gold Member

How can 100 million people be getting aid if some of those people aren't getting food stamps or SS or am I reading this wrong?

TANF, I guess?

But TANF is temporary and not like the "welfare" of old. It was overhauled in the 1990s thanks to the Republican-controlled Congress.

You're reading it right. I'm pretty sure SNAP and maybe some tax credits are in that, but nothing is really breaking down how they came to their number. But looking at the graph, the numbers go from 96 million to 106 million which is only a 10.4% increase which seems inline with the recession. I don't see why anyone should be surprised. There are a lot of working poor people out there.

commedieu

Banned
You're reading it right. I'm pretty sure SNAP and maybe some tax credits are in that, but nothing is really breaking down how they came to their number. But looking at the graph, the numbers go from 96 million to 106 million which is only a 10.4% increase which seems inline with the recession. I don't see why anyone should be surprised. There are a lot of working poor people out there.

And although the committee’s research does not take into account Social Security and Medicare, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), or food stamps, more than makes up for that exclusion: the study finds that the number of American receiving SNAP benefits have doubled in barely a decade

I do love that the Republicans seem to want to make welfare a campaign issue during a recession while a super wealthy Republican is running for President.

I see no possible way this could blow up in their faces.

commedieu

Banned
I do love that the Republicans seem to want to make welfare a campaign issue during a recession while a super wealthy Republican is running for President.

I see no possible way this could blow up in their faces.

I don't know. People are amazingly fucking stupid. 1. People just plain don't like Obama. So they don't care, a vote for Romney is a vote against Obama. Thats all it will boil down to.

2. See #1

Chumly

RT are you freaking kidding me? Everything in that article screams misleading including that ridiculous graph. I'm curious what some of the actual statistics are. People say "welfare" and your mind goes to actual direct welfare payments which are actually only around 4-5 million people. The numbers in the article are fluffed up with dumb shit.

Curufinwe

The only way you'll see 7% is because people have exhausted their unemployment benefits and are not counted anymore. Real unemployment is still over 10%

That's not how the unemployment rate is measured. If you're out of work, but actively looking for work and available for work, then you are counted as unemployed whether you receive unemployment benefits or not.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/cps_htgm.htm

Yes Obama took over a booming economy with a large fiscal surplus, strong job growth, and extremely healthy financial and housing markets, and then he fucked it all up.

And although the committee’s research does not take into account Social Security and Medicare, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), or food stamps, more than makes up for that exclusion: the study finds that the number of American receiving SNAP benefits have doubled in barely a decade

Yet they don't list what went into those numbers. If it's not SNAP, then what is it? And if the source in the OP is a ban site that can't be trusted, then why should this thread remain unlock?

Chumly

Yet they don't list what went into those numbers. If it's not SNAP, then what is it? And if the source in the OP is a ban site that can't be trusted, then why should this thread remain unlock?

Here is some ACTUAL data. Very nice table showing data by state.

Here is another Graphic

02welfaregraphic2_large.jpg

There is 4-5 million cash recipients of welfare. The data thrown around in the OP is grossly over-exaggerated and misleading.

What's insane is that Romney wants to cut benefits of these 100 million people, so they can be REALLY hurt with no recovery in sight...until the great regression of privileges. Aside from that though, jobs really are a huge problem for now and later from a natural point of view.

People talked about forever displacing american works in the future...that time is now.

He doesn't want to cut 100% of benefits out and have it so there is literally no help available to poor people. The system needs to be reformed; too many people who are capable of work and live in areas with plenty of jobs just refuse to get them because they can get by on gov't assistance..and who wouldn't rather get paid to sit around and play videogames all day?
There's a crap ton of jobs in my area at places like mcdonald's and walmart. The problem is the pay is so little that you can get more per month by staying unemployed, and that's a problem. Fix the system. If you're capable of working and the only job in your area is minimum wage, then you need to take it. Our system should then be able to help you out a little in addition to that, if your wage isn't cutting it, but it shouldn't encourage people to not work like it does now. Obama is just using it to buy votes, it's not going to get better if he gets re-elected.

He doesn't want to cut 100% of benefits out and have it so there is literally no help available to poor people. The system needs to be reformed; too many people who are capable of work and live in areas with plenty of jobs just refuse to get them because they can get by on gov't assistance..and who wouldn't rather get paid to sit around and play videogames all day?
There's a crap ton of jobs in my area at places like mcdonald's and walmart. The problem is the pay is so little that you can get more per month by staying unemployed, and that's a problem. Fix the system. If you're capable of working and the only job in your area is minimum wage, then you need to take it. Our system should then be able to help you out a little in addition to that, if your wage isn't cutting it, but it shouldn't encourage people to not work like it does now. Obama is just using it to buy votes, it's not going to get better if he gets re-elected.

citation please? With less than 2% of the population receiving cash welfare, and almost all of those programs being temporary in nature, who exactly makes up this population you speak off?

Food Stamps for adults: temporary
Welfare: temporary
unemployment: temporary

And your area is not the way it is everywhere. I live in an area with a 14% unemployment rate and zero job availability. I have a friend who own a restaurant who had 125 people apply for a part time dishwasher job.

That's not how the unemployment rate is measured. If you're out of work, but actively looking for work and available for work, then you are counted as unemployed whether you receive unemployment benefits or not.

Thanks for the correction. I always thought it was just based on unemployment rolls as the other factors seem really hard to reliably measure.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Lots of people are going to die from unrest in the coming years. Book it. Also buy guns. Super serial.

That or, a miracle happens and the rich suddenly decide to give back. Haha thats a good one. Nah they just gonna get shot. Just wait till the student loan bubble bursts. All these people who keep going back to college while unemployed waiting for the economy to get better and getting loaded in debt as if its nothing. High interest rates etc. Either that debt is getting forgiven or the youth will get very active again. That always ends well.

So does this mean the Republican Party is now engaging in the same "class warfare" that they accuse the Democrats of every time the Dems want to raise taxes on the wealthy?

Chumly

Who the hell are you talking about? Hardly anybody receives welfare. On TOP of that the mythical welfare queen is negligible. If you want want real reform of you being screwed out of your "taxes" you should be complaining about corporate welfare and tax evasion by the rich.

Lots of people are going to die from unrest in the coming years. Book it. Also buy guns. Super serial.

That or, a miracle happens and the rich suddenly decide to give back. Haha thats a good one. Nah they just gonna get shot. Just wait till the student loan bubble bursts. All these people who keep going back to college while unemployed waiting for the economy to get better and getting loaded in debt as if its nothing. High interest rates etc. Either that debt is getting forgiven or the youth will get very active again. That always ends well.
Begs a question though do those likely to riot actually own firearms?

Who the hell are you talking about? Hardly anybody receives welfare. On TOP of that the mythical welfare queen is negligible. If you want want real reform of you being screwed out of your "taxes" you should be complaining about corporate welfare and tax evasion by the rich.

Or military spending......

Good thing that guns are inexpensive and readily available I guess.

I'd like to see how they know that my mother whose unemployment benefits have expired (and is actively applying) is counted towards unemployment. How would they know what she is doing?

~Kinggi~

Banned

I think it will be split by states. Some states will become no-mans land where the folk just take shit cause they have the weapons, but populations are sparse, and the rest will have isolated incidents of people doing damage but mostly just end up getting oppressed by the under-funded police forces.

Or military spending......

Good thing that guns are inexpensive and readily available I guess.
Yeah, but a Locrin, Jaminez, or HiPoint isn't exactly good for mass civil unrest.

I think it will be split by states. Some states will become no-mans land where the folk just take shit cause they have the weapons, but populations are sparse, and the rest will have isolated incidents of people doing damage but mostly just end up getting oppressed by the under-funded police forces.
You might also see community patrols similar to last years London Riots take over for under funded police.

Why own them, when you can riot and steal them.
That's not something I'd want to try and pull off, getting shot by a shop owner with a SCAR would kind of suck. Plus if some is only stealing a gun they might have questionable ability to use it.

Plus unless you reenact Commando, it's not going to be sufficient long term stocks.

Wray

Better get used to it. Once our society gets more and more automated, unemployment get higher and higher and welfare will need to be expanded.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'd like to see how they know that my mother whose unemployment benefits have expired (and is actively applying) is counted towards unemployment. How would they know what she is doing?

They take surveys and extrapolate from there with statistical methods.

Better get used to it. Once our society gets more and more automated, unemployment get higher and higher and welfare will need to be expanded.

I know this sounds stupid, but this is why George Jetson worked like 2 days a week. People back then figured that technology would lower the demand for labor, but the response would be to just pay more people to do the same amount of work. It's also part of the reasoning behind the shorter work week France implemented a while back.

Instead we are just looking at a permanent unemployed underclass and stagnant growth.

You don't think this is somewhat typical? I mean.....

Yes, a handful of people showing off for cameras are totally typical of those receiving some form as assistance. Those were also people applying for benefits, so we don't even know if they qualified.

Again, welfare, food stamps, and unemployment benefits for adults are all temporary forms of assistance. Even if they qualify, they run out.

FroJay

Banned
Yes, a handful of people showing off for cameras are totally typical of those receiving some form as assistance. Those were also people applying for benefits, so we don't even know if they qualified.

Again, welfare, food stamps, and unemployment benefits for adults are all temporary forms of assistance. Even if they qualify, they run out.

I think enough of us know people in our lives who are living off the "system". And those people plan on popping out kids to continue living off the system as long as they can. Of course there are people trying to do the right thing, but its also time to be real here and understand that there is a very large segment of people that don't plan on working a day in their lives if they don't have to. At some point of course it will backfire, but I know 4 different women living off the system right now who have no plans of getting off of it. Many people would rather be lazy, and that 8% unemployment number is a fairytale.....

Without welfare, my family would be fucked. My sister and I are working and trying our damnedest to get our family out of this situation, but it's hard. If it weren't for welfare, I couldn't go to graduate school. We would have probably lost our home, too.

I think enough of us know people in our lives who are living off the "system". And those people plan on popping out kids to continue living off the system as long as they can. Of course there are people trying to do the right thing, but its also time to be real here and understand that there is a very large segment of people that don't plan on working a day in their lives if they don't have to. At some point of course it will backfire, but I know 4 different women living off the system right now who have no plans of getting off of it. Many people would rather be lazy, and that 8% unemployment number is a fairytale.....

Again, any sort of citation for how many people are "living off the system" outside of the four people you know?

You seem to have no understanding of how our current system of assistance works.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Without welfare, my family would be fucked. My sister and I are working and trying our damnedest to get our family out of this situation, but it's hard. If it weren't for welfare, I couldn't go to graduate school. We would have probably lost our home, too.

Obviously you're one of those "legit" welfare people!

Chumly

Right..... People you know..... How about you back that up with some data? My wife taught a special low income head start classroom that had 18 families receiving forms of "welfare" benefits and none of them were abusing it. She visited their homes every 2-3 months and it was extremely shitty living conditions.

RDreamer

This seems really crazy to me. I don't even know a single person "living off the system" at all. I don't think I've known anyone that has ever had welfare or foodstamps. I have known a few people on unemployment for a few months (my wife included), but never saw anyone even near abusing anything.

LuchaShaq

Banned
yeah, sure they have it made. rolling in dat govt. dough. Such a luxurious lifestyle.

Yeah, mostly by rich people hiding a lot of wealth in the Cayman Islands and getting tax cuts.

Rich scamming the system doesn't make poor scamming it ok or the other way around.

As usual the middle class gets fucked on both ends!

greepoman

Does that chart include children? The fact it says "includes anyone in the household where at least 1 person received a benefit" seems to point to yes. In fact I wouldn't doubt it includes roommates. It looks like they basically look at all the addresses of people receiving welfare then just added up everyone at the same address whether or not they truly benefit from the welfare or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom