• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Over halfway through the Switch lifecycle what are your expectations for nintendos next gen console?

The wii came out in 2006. the wii u came out in 2012. the switch came out in 2017.

thats 6 years between releases, 5 years, and in march 2021 will be 4 years for the switch currently....

what do you expect from nintendo's next gen system?

will they stick with the Switch brand? will they stick with the hybrid concept? or will they out-nintendo themselves again with something completely radical?

Jeeves

It's honestly pointless to predict what Nintendo's ever going to do.
charlie day wildcard GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
what i want and what i expect are two different things...

what i want: a more powerful switch. it's really that simple.

what i expect: a stupid ass console with some crazy gimmick that is nothing like the switch and shows that Nintendo have learned ZERO from the last almost 4 years.

Last edited:
well, let's see, they already did the motion controls gimmick, then the tablet gimmick, then the tablet/console hybrid gimmick... what other gimmick could they try to capitalize next?

oh, right. The VR gimmick!

prepare for expensive cardboard, bois

Kdad

Switch U will be a portable only. For an extra 10$ per month you'll be able to stream your registered Switch U games via app to your Chromecast/Apple +/Firestick/Roku etc (so they wont be paying these people anything, all purchases are still via the switch or via Nintendo's website).

They will keep using the Switch brand. It's just too popular to abandon at this point. I expect a similar leap like the one from DS to 3DS. Some kind of gimmick (perhaps VR?) might get people to upgrade to a new device. Backwards compatibility will be very important too. I'm not expecting the new console to happen anytime soon though. Probably in two or three years, with another year or two of support after the next console is aleady out.

gtrwll

I expect them to be Nintendo and continue developing new approaches to gaming. I doubt it will be a straight successor to Switch, but something new instead.

I reckon they might do a revision model in the vein of New 3DS, but the next main console will be something else.

Switch 2 - Same format compatible with current Switch game cards and accessories like the current Pro Controller and Joycons

Nvidia chipset supporting DLSS. Internal 540p resolution increased to 1080p for both handheld and docked play. Performance about on-par with PS4 Pro.

Anyone expecting 4K/60 from $300 hardware with a PCB the size of a credit card is delusional.

I'm gonna be hopeful (trying to have a positive attitude as there was a lot of negativity this year and want to at least have a good attitude going into the new year). My thought is Nintendo continues with a hybrid model and a lite model. Instead of them releasing separately like they did with the current models, Nintendo releases the "Super Switch" (come on...you know it would be so awesome if they did this...especially if the system was in SNES colors) with two models. A sleeker model similar to the current model with a dock and removal joycons (that now comes with an actual dpad!). It can run previous Switch games and next gen Switch games at a native 1080p resolution in handheld mode and in docked mode, can run them in 4k HDR (though it would probably be more likely to be 1440p). Both modes run games at 60FPS (though some more extensive games runs at 30FPS). The handheld does not have a tv output but is still able to play games in a native 1080p resolution. Past digital purchases carry over as well as physical cards. Nintendo continues to use microSD cards for expandable storage as the 64GB of onboard storage still isn't enough. And for those looking for the traditional Nintendo gimmick, Nintendo is still creating new Labo kits including the...drumroll please...Virtual boy!!! The Super Switch launches at $399 while the Super Switch Lite launches at $299.

Royal-Slime

Banned
It would be silly of them to not stick with Switch brand and that's fine to me. I want Nintendo's take on adaptive triggers.

cabbage5k2

If they're smart they will just release a Switch 2.

But this is Nintendo, and based on their history they will come up with something nonsensical like Wii U next.

They probably will too, unless Furukawa plays this game far differently than Iwata did. But so far, he's mostly hands off in the video game/console side of the company.

NinjaBoiX

Hope they don't go full retard and just release a stronger, more sleaker Switch (lite) version. Nobody cares about the joycon gimmicks so they should focus on it being a handheld that you can also easily connect and play on TV.
Yup, the detachable joycon thing is such a gimmick, they’re barely usable. I took my switch round to a friends for Christmas but forgot to bring my extra pad or the joycon grip so we ended up trying to play with the joycons.

It was pretty dire...

Just go all in with a solid handheld unit that can be hooked up to the tv, you’ll get more peripheral sales into the bargain.

Moogle11

Banned
Personally I hope they stick with the Switch brand. I love having a portable and have done most of my Switch gaming on that mode while half watching sports in the TV, while traveling, out on the deck etc.

I don’t know that I’d buy a regular, TV only console from them. Most of my tv gaming time goes to AAA games with more realistic art styles etc. As much as I like many of Nintendo’s cartoony looking games, the retro games and retro styles indie games I play handheld etc, I never seem motivated to play them when I could be playing something else on PlayStation or Xbox in my tv.

That said, there are a few of there games I prefer in the bjg screen, so I hope they stick with a hybrid, or go multi Skus with a hybrid, portable only and tv only option to cover all bases.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Same controller scheme and TV output all the way up and I won't care if it's a pikachu tail shaped console powered by wind

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Switch 2 - Same format compatible with current Switch game cards and accessories like the current Pro Controller and Joycons

Nvidia chipset supporting DLSS. Internal 540p resolution increased to 1080p for both handheld and docked play. Performance about on-par with PS4 Pro.
Hell yes. If I could play all those blurry 540p at 1080p I would buy it day 1.

For me it would be basically that. As I've said some times the think I dislike more about the Switch is the resolution and poor performance of some third parties. If they could irom that out it would be awesome.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Smart thing to do and what everyone wants:

Make a more powerful version of the Switch.

What Nintendo will likely do:

I think they’ll do something as an evolution of the Switch, but introduce a worthless ass gimmick no one cares about like they did with the DS to 3DS. That’ll be a best case (but still realistic) scenario for fans, but it would be conservative and take a lot of restraint for Nintendo to not “fuck up a good thing”, which they’ve shown a tendency to do in the past, over and over again.

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
Redesigned controller, better battery life, same hybrid functions, better performance. I want to log in and have access to all of my existing switch games.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If they're smart they will just release a Switch 2.

But this is Nintendo, and based on their history they will come up with something nonsensical like Wii U next.

Nintendo went with the Wii U because Nintendo did their research. The motion control fad took a nose dive after 3-4 years. Releasing a more powerful Wii wasn't going to capture the attention of the casual audience again, and it always rubbed the hardcore the wrong way.

The Switch doesn't seem to be slowing down. A Switch II is essentially guaranteed at this point.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Not much really.

Nintendo should just continue to do their own thing, what works for them.

Stick with the hybrid and Switch name, better battery life, higher resolution.

Better performance that a hybrid/handheld can allow. So not expecting much.

Maybe the TV dock can offer massive performance?

Turnstyle

Switch 2 seems the most obvious choice. I do think though that Nintendo will try to make the Switch last as long as possible before introducing a follow up. It's still selling like gangbusters, and it's core audience aren't as interested in the tech as Sony/Microsoft's crowd. Nintendo really don't need to be in a rush to get out a more advanced model. It just needs to keep making more mario/Zelda/animal crossing games.

Orta

Banned
Stick with the Switch brand but it has to be radically different from the original concept yet maintain familiarity too. Beats me how they're gonna do that. Main thing I want in it however is performance better than a base PS4/XBO and deliver consistent 1080p/60fps gaming. Maybe a jump to docked 1440p. 100% physical BC is essential too.

I think its unrealistic to expect PS4 Pro performance from a handheld unless you want two hour battery life and oven gloves are required to hold the thing.

Fbh

I expect it to mostly be a Switch 2 that's going to be backwards compatible with Switch games and (most) accessories. But instead of focusing entirely on making it as powerful, compact and sleek as possible there's going to be some new gimmick. Not sure what the gimmick will be though, might be some new function of the controller, or something new with the screen or some new form of peripheral. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see modern Nintendo releasing a straight follow up console without adding a gimmick.

Chastten

Banned
Just gimme a slightly more powerful Switch 2, with better batterylife and better buildquality of the joycons. Be fully compatible with anything the Switch does, including games, saves, the OS and logs.

Honestly, one of my biggest pet peeves with consoles is that with a new generation things get taken away for no reason all the time. Instead of building upon the existing OS and improving they keep trying to reinvent the wheel or something. For example, while I love the clean look of the log on the Switch, it's missing some functions the 3DS had. And there's absolutely no reason for it.

Arkam

I expect a Super Switch. Same thing but based on whatever new (Nvidia) chipset and some minor form factor improvements. Why fuck with a wildly successful product design beyond new tech? If they can get something out that is ~2TF and let’s users play their existing library it will be a guaranteed success.

Mhmmm 2077

Let me start my imagination... It will be called Nintendo Legacy.

pros: it will run every single game Nintendo ever released, from nes to wii u, from gameboy to 3ds

cons: "switch is not dead", so it's still getting its own games and on top of that Legacy is not getting any original (new; made specifically for Nintendo Legacy) games

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Hopefully PS4 to PS4 Pro levels of power cuz I want Nintendo to melt fucking eyeballs and brains with what they can do. Just lookit what they pulled off with the Wii U and Switch.

Now imagine a generational leap beyond that.

I can't fucking wait.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Hopefully PS4 to PS4 Pro levels of power cuz I want Nintendo to melt fucking eyeballs and brains with what they can do. Just lookit what they pulled off with the Wii U and Switch.

Now imagine a generational leap beyond that.

I can't fucking wait.
I think you can expect near PS4 level of performance or sightly less but with more advanced features and RT. It kind of sucks seeing that they take old unmodified HW for nVIDIA and nVIDIA not having anything in the pipeline (publicly) that could fit the bill though... quite puzzled..

Anyone expecting 4K/60 from $300 hardware with a PCB the size of a credit card is delusional.
I hope so much for this.
nVidia DLSS would be a game changer for Nintendo powered consoles.

But nVidia is in a much better place now. Nintendo won't get nVidia IP cheap

Alebrije

They wont move from the Switch formula so graphically they will deliver the best portable and home console. Maybe will be near PS4 , it would be great if they can achive Xbone X performance..

Regarding software they are fine and improving 3rd party suppport.

geordiemp

what i want and what i expect are two different things...

what i want: a more powerful switch. it's really that simple.

what i expect: a stupid ass console with some crazy gimmick that is nothing like the switch and shows that Nintendo have learned ZERO from the last almost 4 years.

Nintendo want you to buy the games again most likely.

And gamers will, so why should nintendo change ?

fart town usa

Gold Member
Probably a more powerful Switch, and then deluxe versions of Switch games, lol. I kid about the deluxe games but knowing Nintendo I'm sure we'll be waiting ages for core/niche titles that die hards really want (f-zero, Metroid, etc).

And that is why I always keep my options open when it comes to consoles.

Reallink

Who cares? 90% of this forum won't play anything on it besides the mainline Mario/Zelda/Metroid that comes once every 2 years, it'll sit untouched the remaining 23 months. I haven't even thought about my Switch since Odyssey credits rolled more than 2 years ago, I doubt it even works.

Last edited:
Top Bottom