• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overheating dualshock 4

TheTurboFD

Well today I decided to fire up some MP of The Last of Us and during gameplay I felt my controller get REALLY hot and I mean to the point where I didn't want to hold it anymore. So I took apart my controller and touched around to see where the hell it's generating this heat from and lo and behold at what I found. It was coming from near the solder points on the right side of the controller that connects the vibration module to the board. It must have burnt out some how leaving this brown crap all around it. Has this happened to anyone else? Also I burnt my finger trying to take apart the inside :[

IgJVueFh.jpg

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Never had a controller overheat. Clearly, something is wrong with that rumble motor.

The solders are probably shorting intermittently causing heat build-up. Since you took it apart I guess warranty is out of question, I'd suggest cleaning up and re-soldering the joints again.

Well today I decided to fire up some MP of The Last of Us and during gameplay I felt my controller get REALLY hot and I mean to the point where I didn't want to hold it anymore. So I took apart my controller and touched around to see where the hell it's generating this heat from and lo and behold at what I found. It was coming from near the solder points on the right side of the controller that connects the vibration module to the board. It must have burnt out some how leaving this brown crap all around it. Has this happened to anyone else? Also I burnt my finger trying to take apart the inside :[
Nope. Seems like you got a faulty one. Sorry, OP.

Have you noticed how the rumble motor behaved differently before this happened? Maybe drew too much power and caused the heat. Could be that the thing is damaged and needs to be replaced or removed (if you don't mind playing without rumble function on that side).

Flarin

I feel like the Dualshock 4s in general do not hold up well over time. I just bought my 3rd one yesterday and I bought my PS4 last February. Kind of crazy considering I never had to replace controllers like this with any previous console.

FYI I've taken apart a DS4, replaced the sticks and didn't have any heat issues. Seems like a rare case unfortunately.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Looks like re-activated and burned solder flux which isn't the problem, but rather a symptom. There is likely a short somewhere causing the heat. Ohm it out if you can.

TheTurboFD

I just clipped the wires for the rumble motor as close as I can to the board. Tested the controller and that side is getting warm but not as hot as the it got before.

Top Bottom