• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overlooked Wii gems

@MUWANdo

Banned
I remember a few years ago at some Japanese video game show (maybe TGS?) that some really cool looking games got announced. One game was in space and you controlled an astronaut and some other really neat looking games. Too bad they never came out for the console

I was just thinking about that space game the other day... apparently the studio that was making it (whose name I've already forgotten) went under before it could be released.

Lachie007

I'd suggest the PS2 version, or even the PSP port. The Wii controls were fun for about 5 minutes, but the constant throwing enemies off your back while you were running became a chore with the Wii Remote. The PS2 and PSP version were much easier in this regard.

do not listen to this man

Mario strikers is secretly the best wii game
with 4 people

Ranger X

Don't Own
Another Code: R (PAL)
Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars
Dawn of Discovery
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Elebits
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Mecury Meltdown Revolution
Opoona
Sim City Creator
Trauma Team

Wouldn't say they are all must haves but that's the games I would care to play if I was you. Fire Emblem however is a must. It's mighty excellent!!

No one mentioned Mad World??

Such an underrated game...the visual style was unique and even when the gameplay was kind of repetitve, it stood out for me of one of the best Wii games.

Kurtofan

dokapon_boxart_wii.jpg

I played the original Dokapon on GBA, is it comparable?

IrishNinja

By far one of Treasure's best games. Right up there with Gunstar Heroes and Ikaruga.

For all you Club Nintendo members, this game can be found super cheap ($15 on Amazon, $20 at Gamestop) and can still gives off 50 coins.

^this, Trauma Team & the Konami Rebirth series...but Alien Crush Return i didnt even know that's even a thing!

@MUWANdo

Banned
I played the original Dokapon on GBA, is it comparable?

Dokapon GBA is a roguelike or a monster-battling game or something, right? If so, no.

Dokapon Kingdom (and Dokapon Journey or whatever the DS version is called) is a boardgame/RPG hybrid--it'd make a great party game if it wasn't so very, very slow, and if all the options didn't involve dicking over your friends in ways that will make them hate you forever.

Peagles

That's what I was thinking. I had both games on the Wii and enjoyed them a heck of a lot. Controls were perfect.
Then got Dead Space as a freebie on PS3 and bought the Extended Cut of HOTD Overkill on PS3 as well and found that the controls really lack preciseness no matter if I use the official gun peripheral or just the move itself. Drift is also a huge problem with Move.
Really disappointing. Probably has to do with how big that ball is and how the motion sensors try to compensate for it. It just doesn't work how it should.

Yeh I agree here. On the Wii version of Overkill I was basically getting headshot after headshot and in constant goregasm, but I couldn't hit a thing on PS3 because Move is.. I don't know... floaty? It's really not nice to use.

69wpm

this is a sequel to this:

l7VrsEx.jpg

which is one of my favorite games of all time.

so play the DS game first.

I loved the game on DS (and Wii). One of my most favourite games. Hopefully Nintendo makes another (pun intended) one for Wii U, the gamepad is a perfect fit.

Also, nobody mentioned this:

FFCCMLK_Logo.jpg

It was my first WiiWare title and probably my most favourite, too.

Sadist

A lot of my favourites are mentioned, cool.

But other titles I like;

Bully Scholarship Edition; it might be a port, but with added new content and good wiimote controls it's a great game.
Prince of Persia the Forgotten Sands; totally different than it's PS3 and 360 counterparts and get this; better. Combat is still pretty mediocre, but the platform segments are really, really good.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Any great light gun games anyone can recommend? They seem to be overlooked. I was going through a Wii light gun phase right before the Wii U came out. I have Ghost Squad and Gunblade NY and LA Machineguns.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=615196 Here's a discussion on light gun games based off of my love for the Wii and light gun games, in general!

Best I've found is House of the Dead: Overkill. So much charm, vulgarity, replayability, and the gameplay is just SO tight.

D-e-f-

Banned
Man, going through this thread and the other Wii recommendation one today, there's a lot of cool stuff that I still haven't gotten around to. I think it'll be interesting to see how people look at the system say... 5 years down the road. Eventually, people are going to realize that the system wasn't all waggle bullshit, and find that there's a shit ton of good games they've probably never heard of.

I'd say that personally, my Wii collection is probably the strongest in terms of quantity, variety, originality, quirkiness and fun. Many of the games have their share of polish problems, though.

none of you guys tried Cursed Mountain?

Hells yea! I hated the "combat" controls but apparently I did it wrong ... still terribly finnicky but the game is worth it!

It actually made me feel uneasy at times. Growing up in the mountains I actually was amazed at how well they captured the harsh nature of high altitudes. Mind you I'm no climber, but I am familiar with the harsh weather and environments you would encounter up high. They did a great job with the animations, making Eriks running speed actually sensible, and had they put a bit more effort into the actual climbing parts, the game could've been a masterpiece.

The atmosphere they pulled off was definitely amazing. It helps that I have a thing for snow in video games.

I have the steel case version even. :)

WHAT? There's a steelbook version?!? Can you take a pic?

I remember a few years ago at some Japanese video game show (maybe TGS?) that some really cool looking games got announced. One game was in space and you controlled an astronaut and some other really neat looking games. Too bad they never came out for the console

I believe that was released and was made by the same guys behiind endless ocean, but it was only released in smaller 3rd world countries, probably as a test I guess

That's on the wiiware? I should check for....reasons

No, Cosmic Walker never came out and the developer doesn't even exist anymore I think.

Also, nobody mentioned this:

FFCCMLK_Logo.jpg

It was my first WiiWare title and probably my most favourite, too.

Just bought this a while ago and played the opening bits. It's a really really cool concept! Sounded way more interesting than My Life as a Dark Lord to me, at least (even though it's 5 bucks more expensive).

Can anybody make a good case for ~Dark Lord?

--
A game I'd like to mention: Tomena Sanner (WiiWare)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cJ02vxbazA

00057008.jpg

Yes Cosmic Walker. Such a shame it never saw the light of day. Does anybody have any info on the other games that were announced with it? I don't they they ever made it as well.

D-e-f-

Banned
Yes Cosmic Walker. Such a shame it never saw the light of day. Does anybody have any info on the other games that were announced with it? I don't they they ever made it as well.

Most games did. Line Attack Heroes was also announced there. That game ended up getting retooled as a WiiWare title that only came out in Japan though, sadly. It always reminds me of the drawing mechanic for the Unite moves in The Wonderful 101.

Auskeek

lets_tap_253879.jpg

tb-letstap1.jpg

One of my favorite uses of the Wiimote (along with using it as a phone in No More Heroes and as an elephant's trunk in WarioWare): Let's Tap.

Going through this thread makes me realize that the Wii is the most underrated console of all time. Most people got this system for the 1st party Nintendo games, but I got it for all the mid range B games.

I wish the Wii U would have been more like the Wii but its looking more like another PS360 with no B games.

NYCrooner

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know of some good FPS games? I really really enjoyed Metroid Prime 3 with the wiimote. Are the Call of Duty games any good? Are they different from the the HD twins?

Katsuragi

I wish the Wii U would have been more like the Wii but its looking more like another PS360 with no B games.

Personally, I don't think there will ever be another home console with a comparable amount of unique and fun b-tier retail games. I guess they're just not profitable anymore in today's market, unfortunately. You are going to find these kinds of games on the Wii U eShop & the PSN store, though (and on handhelds in Japan).

cj_iwakura

IJust bought this a while ago and played the opening bits. It's a really really cool concept! Sounded way more interesting than My Life as a Dark Lord to me, at least (even though it's 5 bucks more expensive).

Yep, it's a fun tower defense game with a silly, if cute, story.

I enjoyed it.

And as always, my vote:

shikigami3.jpg

rjc571

Banned
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know of some good FPS games? I really really enjoyed Metroid Prime 3 with the wiimote. Are the Call of Duty games any good? Are they different from the the HD twins?

Try Onslaught on Wiiware. It's a kind of weird arcade-y Japanese take on the fps genre, and it's quite fun. The controls are excellent and it runs at 60 fps.

D-e-f-

Banned
Going through this thread makes me realize that the Wii is the most underrated console of all time. Most people got this system for the 1st party Nintendo games, but I got it for all the mid range B games.

It's too early to say that. Let's talk again in 3-4 years :D

gerudoman

You should really play Goldeneye remake, unless you've already played the HD version. Great graphics, control and online mode and the solo campaign is quite good too, with a great amount of objectives based on exploration and stealth depending on the difficulty you're playing.

Its online got me hooked for months, it must be my most played Wii game along with Brawl.

kunonabi

Tons of my favorites already getting mentioned.

some others

Castlevania Judgment -

unfairly maligned for the graphics and character but is an incredibly solid power stone-styled fighter. The engine allows for quite a bit of combo creativity and there are a bunch of fun playstyles for the different characters. Add in a kick ass soundtrack, a surprisingly competitive online scene when it was new, a great sense of humor in the item descriptions, and you get one of my biggest time wasters. The game was somewhat unbalanced due to Grant being so massively overpowered but it really isn't much worse than most fighters.

Eyeshield 21: The Field's Strongest Warrior

A football game based on an anime and developed by Nintendo. It's pretty much Nintendo's take on Tecmo Bowl. It has some issues and never quite reaches the highs that the ps2 game did but it's a much improved effort over the DS game and still pretty fun.

Mario Sports Mix

My favorite Mario sports game. Dodgeball and Basketball are the standouts but all the games are fun and feature surprisingly deep mechanics.

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

First game in the series to really move the platforming forward since Sands of Time. New abilities make for some excellent sequences and puzzles and the bonus challenge mode is amazing.

Sonic and the Secret Rings

the bite sized mission based structure turned most people off, as did auto run but these elements actually made for a great game once you unlock most of your abilities. customizing your ring setup to score golds on a mission by mission setup is incredibly addicting and the game is very challenging. The levels are all pretty amazing, the music is stellar, and the sense of speed is incredible. It isn't really a platformer like the older sonic fans prefer but as someone who prefers speed runs and tinkering it worked for me.

Samurai Warriors 3

First musou game I really put time into so it may not hold up with some of the others but I loved it. the menus and visual design are great, tons of modes, crazy amount of stuff to unlock, and I really dug the co-op mode too. I also didn't hate the murasame mode as much everyone else did.

Metroid Other M

Top three Metroid game for me. It's more fusion than Super Metroid but it made a lot of tweaks that made it better for me. Still the only game to switch perspectives right. Aiming being based on where your character is looking is much better than the camera. It makes it so much easier to flip between views and once you get the hang of dodging in both views it makes for some very satisfying combat especially when you start dodging into finishing moves and learn counters. I loved a lot of the horror elements that leaked into it and the different approach to the score. The entire game just clicked with me and honestly I find 90% of the complaints leveled at it to be completely unwarranted and inaccurate. It was easily my game of the year when it came out.

D-e-f-

Banned
Metroid Other M

Top three Metroid game for me. It's more fusion than Super Metroid but it made a lot of tweaks that made it better for me. Still the only game to switch perspectives right. Aiming being based on where your character is looking is much better than the camera. It makes it so much easier to flip between views and once you get the hang of dodging in both views it makes for some very satisfying combat especially when you start dodging into finishing moves and learn counters. I loved a lot of the horror elements that leaked into it and the different approach to the score. The entire game just clicked with me and honestly I find 90% of the complaints leveled at it to be completely unwarranted and inaccurate. It was easily my game of the year when it came out.

I wouldn't call that overlooked ... more over"hated" :D

People chose to hate the gameplay for what it wasn't instead of loving it for what it was and then the obvious meltdowns about the narrative overshadowed everything else. But overlooked? Not really.

Definitely underappreciated. But let's not dig too deep into the Other M discussion to avoid derailing this thread :D

It's a decent game, but far,far too hard without the DLC (and by DLC, I mean unlock codes).

Sonic and the Secret Rings

I wouldn't call this a gem, it's let down by the godawful control scheme. If they ever patched (or make a rerelease) out the control scheme to allow you to use the dpad or nunchuk, it would have been a game I could recommend. As it is, we should all just play colours.

kunonabi

It's a decent game, but far,far too hard without the DLC (and by DLC, I mean unlock codes).

I wouldn't call this a gem, it's let down by the godawful control scheme. If they ever patched (or make a rerelease) out the control scheme to allow you to use the dpad or nunchuk, it would have been a game I could recommend. As it is, we should all just play colours.

Controls in Secret Rings are really only a problem if you need to back up which is essentially moot since you should just restart anyway. Colors isn't perfect either since your controls occasionally screw up when the camera angle switches a problem Secret Ring's scheme actually prevents. It's just a different approach that take practice is all.

Cody_D165

Banned
If you think Mario Party is a multiplayer friendship-ender, then you have to try:

250px-FS_boxcover.png

Awesome Monopoly-esque boardgame with Mario and Dragon Quest characters that actually has some depth to the gameplay and is fantastic with four players. I can't recommend it enough if you're looking for a great multiplayer Wii game.

espher

The Wii is a console that has a ton of 6.5-7/10 games that are really fun if you're a fan of the genre or style of the games, but they just got ignored or overlooked. It's the largest of my "last-gen" libraries, frankly, and the only games I consider "chaff" in there are the licenced game show ones I picked up to play with family. When I feel that the jankiest legit game I own out of several dozen is Battalion Wars II (and I still love it), that speaks fairly well to the console's library.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I have to say, looking at it, that for me the Wii was console of the generation. I know I'm not normal in that regard, but it had so many wonderful games I either loved or want to play.

Such an amazing system that my Wii U gets a huge bonus for playing it's games!

drspeedy

I have to say, looking at it, that for me the Wii was console of the generation. I know I'm not normal in that regard, but it had so many wonderful games I either loved or want to play.

I have to agree- There's enough fun, amazing or off-key games that it really did shine. Most were overshadowed by the Nintendo first party games (as mentioned many times here on GAF), but for those willing to look past the Mushroom Kingdom, there's great games everywhere.

Top Bottom