• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overlooked Wii gems

atre324

Crystal Bearers...

Something about Crystal Bearers is completely captivating. Seemless game world, amazing soundtrack, and loads of stuff to explore/see/do. I sank so many hours into that game.

The combat system can be a little annoying but if you take the time to farm the materials you need for the best equipment in the game (you will probably need to use the Turtle infinite money thing) it's actually a lot of fun. The sheer amount of reactions you can get by tossing stuff into other stuff is pretty neat.

kunonabi

I have to say, looking at it, that for me the Wii was console of the generation. I know I'm not normal in that regard, but it had so many wonderful games I either loved or want to play.

Such an amazing system that my Wii U gets a huge bonus for playing it's games!

It certainly was for me. It's 1st party content was right up there with the SNES for me, I loved some of the more inventive and quirky stuff that came out for it, and I enjoyed the flexibility of controls allowed by the wiimote and nunchuk setup. You had to import to get the most out of it at times but I lived through the saturn so that really isn't that much of an issue to me.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I have to say, looking at it, that for me the Wii was console of the generation. I know I'm not normal in that regard, but it had so many wonderful games I either loved or want to play.

This post perfectly sums it up for me
Code:

cropper.php
This game have awesome soudtrack and art collectibles. Quick Look: Domino Rally

Oregano

Crystal Bearers...

Something about Crystal Bearers is completely captivating. Seemless game world, amazing soundtrack, and loads of stuff to explore/see/do. I sank so many hours into that game.

The combat system can be a little annoying but if you take the time to farm the materials you need for the best equipment in the game (you will probably need to use the Turtle infinite money thing) it's actually a lot of fun. The sheer amount of reactions you can get by tossing stuff into other stuff is pretty neat.

Probably my favourite Wii game and one of my favourite games ever. I just love how refreshingly open the game is. There's some areas you don't even have to go to and may never know about if you don't explore.I love trying to figure out new combinations for the reactions and how the world is just so lively.

Bought a copy of NiGHTS: Journey Of Dreams for £5 earlier this week. It's a beautiful game, and yet another one that's far better than some said it is.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Honestly, if you had a gaming PC, the Wii probably had more games worth playing on it than the 360 or the PS3... by a pretty significant margin. So I don't think you're too far off.

Yuterald

I always thought of the Wii as an extension of the PS2 in terms of the variety and types of games that were released for it. What are some titles that a lot of gamers might have missed, but are actually well worth playing? I'm thinking of games like Elebits, Opoona, Endless Ocean, etc. I'm thinking of building up my Wii collection.

I've always felt this way about the Wii too. There were way more quirky/alternative games on the Wii than there was for the PS3/360. Most people have already covered all of the hidden gems on the system, but I guess I'll suggest my top 10 niche/gem games.

943385_96298_thumb.jpg
945591_100974_thumb.jpg
938142_84502_thumb.jpg
971438_138008_thumb.jpg
933005_75563_thumb.jpg

620591_300303_thumb.jpg
944059_124906_thumb.jpg
938642_85581_thumb.jpg
958286_121151_thumb.jpg
954341_116662_thumb.jpg

Sonic and the Secret Rings

the bite sized mission based structure turned most people off, as did auto run but these elements actually made for a great game once you unlock most of your abilities. customizing your ring setup to score golds on a mission by mission setup is incredibly addicting and the game is very challenging. The levels are all pretty amazing, the music is stellar, and the sense of speed is incredible. It isn't really a platformer like the older sonic fans prefer but as someone who prefers speed runs and tinkering it worked for me.

Metroid Other M

Top three Metroid game for me. It's more fusion than Super Metroid but it made a lot of tweaks that made it better for me. Still the only game to switch perspectives right. Aiming being based on where your character is looking is much better than the camera. It makes it so much easier to flip between views and once you get the hang of dodging in both views it makes for some very satisfying combat especially when you start dodging into finishing moves and learn counters. I loved a lot of the horror elements that leaked into it and the different approach to the score. The entire game just clicked with me and honestly I find 90% of the complaints leveled at it to be completely unwarranted and inaccurate. It was easily my game of the year when it came out.

I haven't played Sonic & The Secret Rings, but I hope to pick it up. Never believed in the Sonic Cycle.

Also, great Metroid: Other M comments!! I added this and LOZ: Twilight Princess to my Wii U Mega Bundle, and it was one of the reasons why I never felt a 'game drought'. It doesn't deserve the hate it gets. I thought the reveal and trailers were cool at the time, and I rate it as one of the most visually impressive games on the Wii. I don't think it ruined the series or Samus, and have been enjoying it lots.

Macleoid

PES 2008

After years of feeling like every football game was just a data/graphics update with minor gameplay tweaks, it felt like a new way to play football games. Plus the uk version had Magpie Michael Owen on the box cover.

Dantard

Neo Member
Not to be a dick but.. Thread about *overlooked* Wii game -> People list every Wii game ever ranging from Final Fantasy IV: After Years and Red Steel 2 to Metroid: Other M and Sonic and the Secret Rings... All of which received enormous media coverage at the time of their releases...

Here's a truly overlooked game (because it didn't leave Japan, but is completely playable with no knowledge of japanese) which made GREAT use of the Wii's IR sensor:

tom_gr_cover.jpg

tact-of-magic-20090513091322373.jpg

takt_of_magic_screen_2.jpg

Real Time Strategy-ish + Amazing rune drawing spellcasting system + Huge content = awesome game

Yuterald

Not to be a dick but.. Thread about *overlooked* Wii game -> People list every Wii game ever ranging from Final Fantasy IV: After Years and Red Steel 2 to Metroid: Other M and Sonic and the Secret Rings... All of which received enormous media coverage at the time of their releases...

Here's a truly overlooked game (because it didn't leave Japan, but is completely playable with no knowledge of japanese) which made GREAT use of the Wii's IR sensor:

tom_gr_cover.jpg

tact-of-magic-20090513091322373.jpg

takt_of_magic_screen_2.jpg

Real Time Strategy-ish + Amazing rune drawing spellcasting system + Huge content = awesome game

Ugh, wanted this so badly. Along with all the other import/Japanese-only games people listed here. =(

Fox Mulder

It's probably one of the rarest, if not THE rarest, 3rd party Wii games. (And one of the most expensive ones, as well.) That could be why nobody's mentioned it.

There's rarer games, but not many of the rare wii games are actually that expensive unless you want sealed. Stuff like Metroid Prime Trilogy and Xenoblade go near $100 even used. I've found some of the rarer wii games like fire emblem, one piece, walk it out, and they're all worth around $40 or so used.

JoeM86

You'll all think I'm mad, but PokéPark 2: Wonders Beyond.

While it's absolutely easy, it's a joy to play and the battles in it are great fun. It's a decent action adventure with a lot of battles, races and several minigames. It's definitely worth a go if you have any slight interest in Pokémon.

People dismiss it because it's a Pokémon spin-off and possibly aimed more towards kids, but it's a decent game.

fraxuredruddigon.jpg
oshawottkrookodile.jpg
scrapbig.jpg

Danny Dudekisser

3 pages with lots of great gems but I haven't seen this one mentioned yet:

Metal Slug Anthology

I got it for 3.99 at Kmart years ago. There is a shitload of content and fun to be had in that package.

While Metal Slug, MS X, and MS 3 are incredible games, that compilation is such garbage that it doesn't deserve a recommendation. The control schemes suck, and there's no hitflashes for the bosses, so you don't know if you're even hurting them. The series deserved better.

I'm gonna rebuy Crystal Bearers and give it another shot. I blasted the game a lot because I was expecting an JRPG for a JRPG-starved console. I liked the characters and the world, I was really critical about everything else.

kunonabi

I'm gonna rebuy Crystal Bearers and give it another shot. I blasted the game a lot because I was expecting an JRPG for a JRPG-starved console. I liked the characters and the world, I was really critical about everything else.

I liked the game I just felt underwhelmed by the untapped potential in the battle system. I dug the characters, world, and story though. It also looked pretty damn amazing too.

Yuterald

I got really far in Crystal Bearers and then just dropped it for some reason. The production values are through the roof in that game and there's some really nice environments. The character models are really nice. The OST is pretty jazz-tacular too. I'll echo the sentiment that the game's combat system is very strange and unlike anything I've ever played. Don't even expect a traditional action RPG. It's more like a game where you mess around with the environment. There's a lot of cause and effect. Like, dowse a bomb enemy with water and see what happens and you unlock a corresponding "Achievement". It's almost like Dawn of Mana, in a way. Take that comparison as you will (I actually quite liked some aspects of DoM). =/

cropper.php
This game have awesome soudtrack and art collectibles. Quick Look: Domino Rally

Whoa, how did my eyes pass over this!? WTF is this game? It came out in NA too! Holy shit, running to eBay now to score a copy. Looks/sounds crazy!

EDIT: ORDERED! lol!

addyb

Great thread. 2 stand outs for me that I've never played are Cursed Mountain and Deadly Creatures. I'll have to check these out sometime.

My only contribution is:

G1 Jockey

Gets average reviews but I found it great and motion controls certainly added to it. Slightly dull career mode but it was hard as nails so when you get that first win it was an elation beyond belief.

As for the rest of this thread I've seen a few listed already that I've nearly bought on amazon for peanuts months ago. Mercury Meltdown being one of them.

Jacqli

I got tired of Wii and sold it litte after Mario Galaxy came out. Then, I regretted what I did and bought it again pretty cheap recently. One wise decision now that I read this great thread.

My contribution would be Phantom Brave. -Although I am not really sure if it is overlooked- this game is the most similar to Disgaea we can find on Wii. I think it is on PS2 and PSP as well.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Man, I can only hope the Wii U gets support even close to the level of what the Wii got. I fear the inreased power over the Wii means that we're gonna see fewer mid-budget games than we did on the Wii. Too bad, as those were some of the best games on the console!

Danny Dudekisser

So as long as this thread is still kinda fresh... how was Kirby: Return to Dreamland? Kirby games are usually a bit too slow for my tastes, but watching this on SGDQ (which I realize, is speedrunning, but still) makes it look unexpectedly exciting. Is it worth looking into?

D-e-f-

Banned
so thanks to this thread, I now have elebits (eledees), earth seeker and captain rainbow on the way (and lostmagic for DS lol)

screw you! :D

D-e-f-

Banned
Aaaand yesterday I paid for Crystal Bearers ...

Funny how ONE awesome post can turn a game I kinda sorta maybe was interested in for years into a "must get naoO!" :D

TAFK

I am lurking this thread patiently waiting for Wii game lots on ebay to go super cheap with these included games ... let the waiting game begin.

I'm playing Wario Land: Shake It! right now, and I'm having an awesome time with it. It was definitely overlooked when compared to other sidescrollers on the Wii.

DJ_Lae

I feel so weird - I own a lot of the games mentioned and have played little to none of them:

-Crystal Bearers (still sealed)
-Battalion Wars 2 (sealed)
-Sin & Punishment 2 (sealed)
-Mad World (sealed)
-Zack & Wiki
-Klonoa

I'll have to get to that at some point. My poor Wii hasn't even been turned on in about a year.

D-e-f-

Banned
I'm playing Wario Land: Shake It! right now, and I'm having an awesome time with it. It was definitely overlooked when compared to other sidescrollers on the Wii.

For some reason I wasn't feeling it. It looked gorgeous but the gameplay didn't grab me. I forced myself to finish it and then sold it.

I'm gonna go with Okami off the top of my head. The controls were a little difficult at first, but once you got them, it became vastly superior to the PS2's controls.

Also, Sonic and the Secret Rings was amazing. One of the few games I 100%'d. It had some problems to be sure but even today I think this is how Sonic in 3D should be done. I like the recent games, but they're mostly just 2D Sonic titles done with 3D graphics. Secret Rings was like a racing game/platformer mashup.

I also just mentioned Catz 2 in the God Hand thread. The adventure mode is kind of like a Zelda game. Nothing mind blowing, but a pleasant surprise I remember.

As for some of the other games mentioned in this thread...
I loved the charm of Zack & Wiki, but felt it was ultimately over rated.
Mad World was a disappointment to me, but I was expecting essentially a God Hand sequel. It played like a very, very dumbed down God Hand, I guess.
I bought Klonoa but never opened it. haha. Maybe I should get around to that finally.

A thousand times yes. I loved both of these games.

Porcile

Such an awesome system. I love so many of the games in this thread.

It's been mentioned already I think but Gunblade NY & LA Machineguns is a great collection.

A5JfmQbo1wMV3H6E1ymK10tcS_uKMMUW.jpg

Opoona as well. Such a charming game.

Opoona.jpg

A curiosity but not really a great game is Major Minor's Majestic March.

250px-Major-minor-box-art.jpg

Let's Tap.

Let%27s_Tap.jpg

Minon: Everyday Hero or Domino Rally

Minon_-_Everyday_Hero_Coverart.png

udivision

You'll all think I'm mad, but PokéPark 2: Wonders Beyond.

While it's absolutely easy, it's a joy to play and the battles in it are great fun. It's a decent action adventure with a lot of battles, races and several minigames. It's definitely worth a go if you have any slight interest in Pokémon.

People dismiss it because it's a Pokémon spin-off and possibly aimed more towards kids, but it's a decent game.

fraxuredruddigon.jpg
oshawottkrookodile.jpg
scrapbig.jpg

I've always felt that this idea should be fleshed out more (Pokemon as an Action Adeventure/RPG), but I understand that because of the target audience and relatively small budget, it probably won't ever be. Besides, pokemon on consoles = blarg, or so they say.

zroid

Banned
I bought a used copy of Blast Works for like 99 cents a few months ago

Haven't played it yet, but apparently it has a bunch of Kenta Cho's older games on-disc, which should be enough to sell anyone. :p

Top Bottom