• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overlooked Wii gems

frizby

1. Sin and Punishment 2: Yeah, it's from Treasure, and it's brilliant
  2. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories: Atmospheric as hell and gets my award for best use of Wiimote
  3. Muramasa: The Demon Blade: Simply beautiful
  4. Mad World: I can't defend this game, but it's fun and nice to look at
  5. Deadly Creatures: Most original action adventure game in forever
  6. Bit. Trip. Complete: Collection of bit sized gems
  7. Castle of Shikigami III: Shmuply goodness
  8. Geometry Wars Galaxies: Geo Wars with variety, and I actually like the Wii control scheme
  9. House of the Dead: Overkill: Best rail shooter and hilarious to boot
  10. Red Steel 2: Might as well get some use out of Wiimotion Plus
  11. 007 Goldeneye: Best FPS this side of Metroid Prime 3 and dat nostalgia
  12. Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition: This sold well, but I don't think it's properly appreciated for how mind-blowingly perfect it is

Despite what people say, I think the Wii is an underrated console, and it still gets some play in my house.

Seik

Banned
Bumping this thread because there's so many games that are worth checking out in here!

Plus it's perfect to spend some time, I've been going pages to pages looking at youtube videos and browsing Ebay for almost an hour, hah!

kunonabi

the tron game was solid as well. it was a minigame collection but it was pretty fun and the customization was pretty good.

D-e-f-

Banned
Despite what people say, I think the Wii is an underrated console, and it still gets some play in my house.

Funny thing is, Wii is actually a way more "hardcore" console than any of the others. Why? Because it has the most obscure, weird stuff while also being home to some of the most amazing classics from generations past, groundbreaking new experiences and unique experiments that put gameplay above fancy new shader tech and Hollywood-glitz.

I have most of the games mentioned in this thread. I must have good taste ;)

Indeed.

Sbraik79

Banned
Funny thing is, Wii is actually a way more "hardcore" console than any of the others. Why? Because it has the most obscure, weird stuff while also being home to some of the most amazing classics from generations past, groundbreaking new experiences and unique experiments that put gameplay above fancy new shader tech and Hollywood-glitz.

Indeed.

I could not agree more. In time, people may look back on the Wii and see it for the treasure trove it really was. Fashionista fanboys will never concede though.

dino-strike-boxart.jpg

Really surprised that no-one has mentioned Dino Strike. I haven't played it, but it is a game that has been getting some interest among the more hardcore Wii collectors.

Classic Game Room has a video review of it here.

Eric C

I have most of the games mentioned in this thread. I must have good taste ;)

I have most of them too.

The Wii was my favorite console last gen, but without GAF threads like this
Why your Wii doesn't have to be dusty - Game Recommendations I probably wouldn't have known about most of them.

kunonabi

yeah the dc and wii are easily my two favorite consoles. i own like 4x as many wii games as i do ps3 and xbox combined. on that note i just picked up spectrobes origins and the first endless ocean for 10 bucks.

Sakujou

Banned
that zangeki game is pure garbage.

a friend of me, who has too much money bought it and struggled to get the hang... also the graphics are clunky as well as the controls feel like some kind of early psx-game. glad, that i didnt buy it.

there are a few games, that i still want to buy, but without being able to understand japanese they dont make sense...

kunonabi

that zangeki game is pure garbage.

a friend of me, who has too much money bought it and struggled to get the hang... also the graphics are clunky as well as the controls feel like some kind of early psx-game. glad, that i didnt buy it.

there are a few games, that i still want to buy, but without being able to understand japanese they dont make sense...

the default settings for zangeki are pretty damn poor but if you tweak the settings just right they work really well.

kunonabi

just picked up ghost recon and rebought sky crawlers and and ffcc crystal bearers. Ghost recon is really fun I just wish it had a zapper control scheme.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Castlevania_Judgement.jpg

I know everyone hated it but I had tons of fun with it.

EDIT: This was an old thread that got bumped... >.>

Zack and Wiki! (this was overlooked, right?)
This was the first thing I thought of. Such an inventive and fun game. It's a shame nothing more came from it.

Another Code:R - if you've played other CiNG games you know what you can expect. Somewhat slow paced adventure that's beautiful to look at/listen to
This is was the second. It's one of my favorite Wii games, period. RIP CiNG. ;___;

alvis.exe

I don't think this game gets mentioned much, if at all, but I actually really enjoyed Fishing Resort.

518I1Un4XQL._SY300_.jpg

The visuals were colorful and charming; there's a fair bit of player customization with clothing and such; the separate zones/areas were all pretty big with a lot of room for exploration especially because you could rent boats in certain areas and just mess around; there's a pretty good variety of fish you can catch; controls weren't bad; and it's kind of addictive just filling up your aquarium and then chilling in front of it, watching your virtual fish swim around.

Oh and there's even a world map you get access to haha.

Plus it has a great pedigree what with it being developed by Prope and Yuji Naka.

But then again I just really love aquatic life so maybe I'm biased heh.

addyb

Just bought another Wii for £18. Primarily just for Mario Galaxy as I have the urge to play through that again. I need to get on some of the games mentioned in this thread. Hopefully some will be cheap as chips.

maxcriden

GeekyDad

I still contend (truly) that...
1QLrfyn.jpg

is a total Wii gem. It was the only waggle game I had complete and unadulterated fun with. The combination of the waggle combat with the crunchy sounds that came out of the Wiimote set inside a crazy, ridiculous B-movie arcade-style setting was just a blast for me. So many folks were so serious about this game -- I truly didn't get it. It was an arcade game...not sure what folks were expecting or so hot-under-the-collar about. Really good fun. The waggle combat felt weighty and just...fun.

Giga Man

Dewy's Adventure isn't getting the respect it deserves.

Dewy%27s_Adventure_Coverart.png

It's a game where you tilt the world with the Wii Remote to slide Dewy (our little raindrop fella) across the plain as well as alter the temperature to transform Dewy into an ice crystal or a thunder cloud, all to rescue his friends and save the world from evil. It's extremely cute, but it's really fun and very well designed. It also has a multiplayer battle mode with a stage creator to make your own battle stages. Oh, and the soundtrack is super catchy.

addyb

Thanks mate.
I'm aware of the first thread but not the other so will check that out.

Initially I'm going for these:

Fire Emblem
Fragile dreams
Silent Hill:Shattered memories
Kororinpa Marble Mania
Muramasa demon blade

I've already got galaxy and donkey Kong country returns so for now this little lot will do me and then I'll look to buy another batch.

big youth

Wii had tons of overlooked gens. Two that I rarely see mentioned even in threads like this are BlastWorks and SSX Blur (the motion controls make for a steep learning curve)

Considering the amount of people who say the wii is shit and only has party games I think you could make a case for every game :/

Seriously though, Zack and Wiki is fantastic.

Paine

Neo Member
Another Code R. Sadly from what I've seen, no one played the Another Code games, even though they were really good.

kunonabi

Castlevania_Judgement.jpg

I know everyone hated it but I had tons of fun with it.

EDIT: This was an old thread that got bumped... >.>

Judment actually had really solid gameplay and the online scene was pretty damn competitive when it was up. It's probably the most fun I've had with that kind of fighter since the original stone. Great soundtrack and sense of humor as well. The item descriptions got really, really funny.

Jesus this thread... are a lot of these on WiiU virtual console?

Actually more than you would expect at over 30.

Roughly the same as the DS games available and more than the 21 N64 games which is is better than the 20 N64 games for Virtual Consoles.

Nintendo seems much more comfortable with straight 2D consoles as seen by the over 90 for NES, over 70 for GBA and over 50 for SNES on Wii U VC.

Top Bottom