• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overlord Dark Legend for the Wii

El-Suave

I agree but I think it's a huge mistake to release the Wii version together with the PS3/360 versions (and the DS version). It's a different game so they have the chance of selling it to multiconsole owning Overlord fans more than once, but they can't expect people to buy two or even three Overlord games at once. That's asking too much - and I'm afraid the Wii version will be the one that might suffer from that strategy because most multiconsole owners will probably pick the HD game if they're all quality products.

El-Suave said:
I agree but I think it's a huge mistake to release the Wii version together with the PS3/360 versions (and the DS version). It's a different game so they have the chance of selling it to multiconsole owning Overlord fans more than once, but they can't expect people to buy two or even three Overlord games at once. That's asking too much - and I'm afraid the Wii version will be the one that might suffer from that strategy because most multiconsole owners will probably pick the HD game if they're all quality products.
Im not sure why they are doing this to be honest.

Gassey

Banned
I'm probably going to buy the Wii and the 360 one (360 already on order) - but that's coz I'm an Overlord freak.
Dunno bout the DS one - I think that's a try before I buy.

gamingeek

Effect said:
Has anyone gotten a chance to play Dark Legend yet?

A bit late but I have the game.

If you are in Europe/UK you can get it cheaply. Zavvi.co.uk are selling it for under £12 and ASDA recentely had the same deal.

overlord-dark-legend-20080813041329246-000.jpg

Screens don't do the game justice. I started playing on an HDTV which normally rapes most wii games, but even on the huge panel the game looked great and if experience is anything to go by it will look 20% better on the old SDTV.

The castle area is very well polished, the game has a lovely art style, great lighting and texture detail. It reminds me of Oddworld Strangers wrath only better looking. In terms of charm and character, the game is almost on par with Little Kings Story, the voice acting helps alot which is often hilarious.

Unfortunately once you hit the first open area things take a turn for the worse, the frame rate chugs quite badly, its not a game breaker but its noticible and the polished game you thought you had turns into a not so polished game. Some shadows are like pixel shadows, you can see the squares, its pretty bad and there is some noticible pop up.

Thankfully outside of the first couple of open areas it has seemed to go back down to steady and things are looking lovely again.

Nicely though there is tons of descrutability in the environment and everything you smash is animated like a crash in a Warner Bros cartoon with nice attention to detail. It's just fun to smash things with your axe.

Minion AI seems clever, they rarely get stuck on scenary but its easily remedied.

One problem you have is that you cannot save where you want to and when the game does save it does it pretty innocuously so you dont know what is saved and what isn't. Hitting the off button is often a leap of faith. The main complaint is that the game is too easy, this hasn't bothered me so far, I don't like ball busting difficulty in games so this is fine for me.

But the gameplay is pretty simple so far. The pointer reigns supreme and its easy to order your troops about. Nicely you can really take advantage of it. I pointed at a spawn gate miles away and popped a minion fresh out of his hole. It's slowly adding features though so the gameplay could open up and get more complex. I'm only through about 15% of the world map.

IGN says:

"Collect enough of that somewhat-elusive loot though and you'll experience the game's real depth. Cash can be traded in for weapon upgrades, new armor (which changes on the actual character model), and level-ups for your minion groups. While adventuring through the world minions will also grab random objects and wear them as hats or use for weapons, and that's pretty awesome to see."

At the moment its very simple, you trudge through some nice and some not so nice looking areas, generally wafting your minions towards things with a wave of the remote and watching as they deal with things.

It's not brilliant or anything, but pleasent. One thing you can be sure of as its the same team, Silent Hill Shattered Memories is going to look pretty special visually. The darkness will mean the game will avoid the pop up and the interiors and added experience from this game means the game shouldn't chug.

Otherwise apart from the framerate all IGNs issues with camera and minion AI haven't happened to me at all.

If you're in europe and can take advantage of the super great zavvi.co.uk deal I would snap it up for £12

You can find the rest of my impressions here on the Godly site:

http://thevgpress.com/ggweekly/ggweekly__2.html

Just started playing the game today, it is pretty good. It took me a while to get used to the controls, but they work. I generally have a problem setting up markers but other than that, its alright, and it is fun sending out minions on a lonely halfling.

Graphic wise, amazing for a third-party Wii game, there are frame-rate slow downs in the open areas but generally its smooth and its nice to look at.

I am enjoying the game alot, just seems like a Pikmin + Dungeon Keeper kinda clone, its not bad at all. Hopefully gets more difficult further on as I only just passed the first boss.

CTLance

The game is plenty fun and looks good, and yes there are framerate issues.

Still, what bugs me the most that sometimes I'll lose a minion while sweeping around. It'll simply disappear, and the counter in the upper right corner will show it as missing or busy, but when I press the A button to recall them he will stay invisible - I think I've seen an invisible minion do damage on a monster, though. I have a sneaking suspicion that they're falling through the level geometry or something.*

I'm impressed with the amount of breakable stuff, and some of the vistas are breathtaking. Art-wise the game is certainly up there.

Gameplay- and techwise it's a bit faulty, but still pretty good too. Sweeping your minions around and zapping goodies and baddies with your entropy spike spell is very satisfying. You're given a new ability or weapon or minion or... etc frequently, so the gameplay keeps fresh. The dialogue is witty and the voice actors are quite nice too. The way the Overlord leisurely swings his huge axe with only one hand looks a bit off. The camera system tries to help keep foes on the screen, but that can sometimes work against you too.

Saving is a bit of a problem. I'd have loved a "Save and Quit" option, just to be on the safe side. I never know when it's safe to turn the game off.

USBloader acts up with it. I've had the game crash and stuff, not really annoying, but I can get no more than two hours of uninterrupted gameplay. Made sure to unplug the LAN adapter and wipe its settings off the Wii too. Oh well. Maybe I need to rip it again, or fiddle with the settings.

gamingeek

flipping_heck said:
Just started playing the game today, it is pretty good. It took me a while to get used to the controls, but they work. I generally have a problem setting up markers but other than that, its alright, and it is fun sending out minions on a lonely halfling.

Graphic wise, amazing for a third-party Wii game, there are frame-rate slow downs in the open areas but generally its smooth and its nice to look at.

I am enjoying the game alot, just seems like a Pikmin + Dungeon Keeper kinda clone, its not bad at all. Hopefully gets more difficult further on as I only just passed the first boss.

The areas with the biggest frame rate problems so far are the wilderness area directly outside of the castle and farmstead. Otherwise its generally allright and perfect in the indoor areas. The art in this game is beautiful, there is a colour scheme for every area. I just hit this lush green area after a toxic orange landscape.

gamingeek

CTLance said:
The game is plenty fun and looks good, and yes there are framerate issues.

Still, what bugs me the most that sometimes I'll lose a minion while sweeping around. It'll simply disappear, and the counter in the upper right corner will show it as missing or busy, but when I press the A button to recall them he will stay invisible - I think I've seen an invisible minion do damage on a monster, though. I have a sneaking suspicion that they're falling through the level geometry or something.*

I'm impressed with the amount of breakable stuff, and some of the vistas are breathtaking. Art-wise the game is certainly up there.

Gameplay- and techwise it's a bit faulty, but still pretty good too. Sweeping your minions around and zapping goodies and baddies with your entropy spike spell is very satisfying. You're given a new ability or weapon or minion or... etc frequently, so the gameplay keeps fresh. The dialogue is witty and the voice actors are quite nice too. The way the Overlord leisurely swings his huge axe with only one hand looks a bit off. The camera system tries to help keep foes on the screen, but that can sometimes work against you too.

Saving is a bit of a problem. I'd have loved a "Save and Quit" option, just to be on the safe side. I never know when it's safe to turn the game off.

USBloader acts up with it. I've had the game crash and stuff, not really annoying, but I can get no more than two hours of uninterrupted gameplay. Made sure to unplug the LAN adapter and wipe its settings off the Wii too. Oh well. Maybe I need to rip it again, or fiddle with the settings.

I agree on the art, I love the colours and lighting, I just wish the frame rate was better. Saving, I learned that when you hear the jingle look at the top left hand corner of the screen and it says FULL save or Stat save so you know when you can quit.

It sometimes flashes a distracting mini-encyclopedia update at the same time in the bottom right so make sure to look top left first :lol

I have a thread here where I'm trying to find decent screens of the game as the video and screens so far doesn't do the game justice IMO

The Art of Overlord Dark Legend (Screenshots inside)
http://thevgpress.com/forumtopics/the-art-of-overlord-dark-legend-screenshots-inside_385.html

VAIL

Finally got around to renting this, visually it's very nice for a Wii game and I haven't run into any serious framerate issues, just a hiccup here and there. I have a feeling this performed miserably and it's a shame.

OMG Aero

VAIL said:
I have a feeling this performed miserably and it's a shame.
It probably did due to the same reason I haven't picked it up yet.
The fact that they stupidly released all the Overlord games on the same day. What would have been a day one purchase to me has got pushed back until I have completed Overlord 2 fully, and by that point I may be all Overlorded out for a while meaning I might not get it for even longer.

Tailzo

OMG Aero said:
It probably did due to the same reason I haven't picked it up yet.
The fact that they stupidly released all the Overlord games on the same day. What would have been a day one purchase to me has got pushed back until I have completed Overlord 2 fully, and by that point I may be all Overlorded out for a while meaning I might not get it for even longer.
Yeah. I had to choose between Overlord II (HD consoles), Overlord II PC, Overlord DL (Wii), and the minions game for DS. While I was interested in overlord for wii, I ended up getting Overlord II instead. Coupled with the fact that I've got new play control pikmin 2 & Little King Story to finish, I've got more than enough games of the genre to play.

Effect

I hope this does well sales wise. Then again that will depend on what expectations were for the game or if they were looking at sales figures of the franchise as a whole. I've picked up Dawn of Discovery and recently Little King's Story in recent weeks. Very tempted to order Overlord: DL now but fighting the urge to hold back for a few more weeks or months.

batbeg

I'm no longer so upset with having not bought it on launch. It just isn't clicking with me, though I seem to be having some issues with my IR sensor anyway so maybe once I get that sorted it'll turn for the better. Thus far I've had some camera issues and the minions seem to get stuck or just be plain dumb at times.

It's worth the £8 I spent, though. Just... it's not as smooth as I'd hoped it to be.

Vagabundo

VAIL said:
Finally got around to renting this, visually it's very nice for a Wii game and I haven't run into any serious framerate issues, just a hiccup here and there. I have a feeling this performed miserably and it's a shame.

It really really did bomb in the UK charts. And for a Wii game with some effort put in to it that is heartbreaking to see.

EDarkness

VAIL said:

I was going to pick this up, but after reading about it being made for a "younger" audience, I totally took it off my radar. I'm not sure why the Wii has to get the kid/family friendly version of all these games, but I'm just refused to support them. A shame, too, since the first one was cool on the 360.

gamingeek

After completing it my opinion of the game has dropped a bit. It can look lovely but its just too unpolished, the frame rate being the biggest offender. They dont build up to the end either or flesh out the story or cutscenes or sidequests which is a real shame given the inherent charm of the world, music and visuals.

The level design is also overly simplistic and never really kicks into gear and the gameplay remains consistent all the way through with not much variation at all.

It's definetely worth the cheap UK price, ASDA online and zavvi.co.uk have it at £12 but if you buy it at full price you will be disappointed.

It's about a 7.0 game.

Top Bottom