• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overlord Dark Legend for the Wii

Gwanatu T

later said:
God damnit, we need some direct-feed stat!

Definitely, but man if those videos didn't look good. Best looking Wii game yet? So far it looks like it could be a contender for sure.

The M.O.B

hmmm.....

It's releasing around the same time as OL 2 is on ps360pc............not sure if that's a good idea.

Anybody interested in getting this and OL2?

Haunted

Those videos don't even look like the same game compared to the screens released.

Seriously good looking game.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
M3d10n said:
Proper shadows on a Wii game? Nice!
hey, somebody
other than ignition
finally noticed the wii had depth textures! this developer just made it to level 2, save now?

rezuth

blu said:
hey, somebody
other than ignition
finally noticed the wii had depth textures! this developer just made it to level 2, save now?
Lets hope they soon realize you can get EMBM for free as well.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I'll remain cautious until we can see direct-feed videos. You never know what hides behind the blur.

From what we can see though, it sure doesn't look too shabby!

rezuth

Has these been posted?
lord1.jpg

lord2.jpg

lord4.jpg

lord5.jpg

lord6.jpg

lord7.jpg

lord8.jpg

rezuth

JetSetRadio said:
Didn't play the original, but does it have some dungeon keeper elements? If so I will buy Overlord 2 for sure.
Yes! Its like Dungeon Keeper except more focus on RPG rather than base building. If you have a PC the game costs like 20 bucks for it. Awesome game, one of the best I played last year.
It feels like if Bullfrog made the game :)

vareon

rezuth said:
Yes! Its like Dungeon Keeper except more focus on RPG rather than base building. If you have a PC the game costs like 20 bucks for it. Awesome game, one of the best I played last year.
It feels like if Bullfrog made the game :)

Hmmm now I'm interested in playing the PC version.

Edit : :lol Judging by the screenshots above it looks like Sauron in a Harvest Moon world.

batbeg

titiklabingapat said:
Their engine downscales really well.

<----- Impressed.

Different developer probably means different, brand new engine, no? But it is an awesome engine either way.

StranGER

makes me think it's not a port! ;)

flipping_heck said:
IGN: Will Overlord Dark Legend be a port or an all-new game for Wii?

Dean Scott: It's an all new game, designed especially for Wii. New story, new characters, new gameplay. It doesn't make sense to try and port the old version, when the Wii gives you an opportunity to make something that works very differently. The key difference is in how you play it. You point, and the minions go and break and kill things. It's a very literal connection for the player.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I hated the controls on the 360 version but loved the concept, this actually might work well on the wii, I'll check it out

batbeg

ChrisGoldstein said:
I hated the controls on the 360 version but loved the concept, this actually might work well on the wii, I'll check it out

Really? The only problem I'm having is the lack of camera control beyond shifting views and the left button, though some of that may be that I'm not yet used to the 360 controller.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
batbeg said:
Really? The only problem I'm having is the lack of camera control beyond shifting views and the left button, though some of that may be that I'm not yet used to the 360 controller.

Yeah if I remember correctly the right camera wasnt controlled by the right analogue as usual. That killed it for me

rezuth

ChrisGoldstein said:
I'm glad that I ended up buying the PC version in that case :)

CaVaYeRo

I liked Overlord on the 360, and I'm looking forward to this, but how can people say that this LOOKS great?! It looks mediocre, even for a Wii title. I've seen stuff on PS2 that looks leagues over this.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
FoxHimself said:
I liked Overlord on the 360, and I'm looking forward to this, but how can people say that this LOOKS great?! It looks mediocre, even for a Wii title. I've seen stuff on PS2 that looks leagues over this.

1-1.jpg

:D

CaVaYeRo

FoxHimself said:

It looks much better in motion. These screens are horrible.

I think it looked pretty good on the TV, lighting and environments, specially. I hope Codemasters releases a trailer soon.

bdouble

CaVaYeRo said:
It looks much better in motion. These screens are horrible.

I think it looked pretty good on the TV, lighting and environments, specially. I hope Codemasters releases a trailer soon.

This should be common knowledge now. It happens with every single game. Looks much better in motion.

CaVaYeRo

bdouble said:
This should be common knowledge now. It happens with every single game. Looks much better in motion.

Yeah, but those are really bad. Sometimes they are more useful than in this case.

CaVaYeRo

Let me bump this, I think you may be interested in some new details.

I could have a telephone chat with four Climax Studios developers and Dean Scott, producer for Codemasters. It was pretty deep and interesting, we discussed many development details, working with the Wii, graphics and use of the TEV, Wiimote usage...

t’s going very, very well, we’re on track for a summer release. The game is looking spectacular for a Wii title.

the advanced effects are custom. Our main focus was to have a lot of enemies and a lot of minions. In complex shading we had to low it down a little bit. We’ve got a lot of things going on at screen, we think the game needs a lot of visual feedback to the player, specifically with the Wii remote.

There’re a couple of things that we did to help, there’re separate processes like the really good shadowing system on there. It would go, generally, with “next-gen” games and PC hardware, but we matched to get it working on the Wii hardware. We’ve tried to make it pretty much for the environment, to give that rich and luster feel. (Shadows from trees and leaves) Walker: yes, our real-time shadow system, that’s exciting, different; it gives us a really nice look. We’ve got bloom effects, 20 minions, 10 enemies on screen. We’ve worked to push the hardware, and there’s a lot going on.

Ric: The level of detail that we’ve got on Wii is probably unparalleled at the moment. It’s thanks to the engine that we’re using, but it also is thanks to the techniques that we’re using, as well.

We posted summarized quotes from the conversation in English, so you can take a look at the whole thing (pages 3 and 4):

http://www.revogamers.net/articulos-394-Dentro-de-Overlord:-Chat-con-Climax-3.html

EDIT: Oh! and direct-feed stuff is coming... soon. It just needs it.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Oh shit I totally forgot about this! I loved what little I played on a friends 360, the gremli uh minions are so awesome! And it looks great so I'll definitely dust my Wii to ply this.

D-Pad

CaVaYeRo said:
Let me bump this, I think you may be interested in some new details.

<snip>
We posted summarized quotes from the conversation in English, so you can take a look at the whole thing (pages 3 and 4):

http://www.revogamers.net/articulos-394-Dentro-de-Overlord:-Chat-con-Climax-3.html

Awesome, thanks for that! I cant believe I forgot about this game. :( Sounds like it's gonna gonna be a beaut with all that talk about real-time shadows and what-not.

rpmurphy said:
Why do you have your TV on its side?
:lol

Top Bottom