• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overlord Dark Legend for the Wii

No6

Vinci said:
It's like a natural inclination: Game that's smaller, doesn't receive a lot of spotlight time - you have to pay more attention to 'cause it's harder to keep track of than the GTAs and such.
Why do you have to pay more attention? Is the game not coming out if you don't? It's not like most games don't have release dates announced and on Amazon/EBgames well in advance of release. And why do you feel it's important to announce to others that you'll be paying more attention than normal? Are you a crime lord in your local town, and this is a way of indicating that the game falls under your protection?

I mean, if the latter is the case then ok, but they should have made the declaration of protection sooner before the ninfans started trolling the game.

Vinci

Danish
I think it's simpler: They want to keep it on the list of things to pay attention to in their heads to read any future news about the game and decide if yes, in fact, it's something they'd be willing to purchase.

Gabyskra

Banned
No6 said:
Why do you have to pay more attention? Is the game not coming out if you don't? It's not like most games don't have release dates announced and on Amazon/EBgames well in advance of release. And why do you feel it's important to announce to others that you'll be paying more attention than normal? Are you a crime lord in your local town, and this is a way of indicating that the game falls under your protection?
When I look forward to something, sometimes I say it to people around me. Why do you mock people for doing so? Do you live in a cave or what, have you ever, you know, talked to someone?

I mean, if the latter is the case then ok, but they should have made the declaration of protection sooner before the ninfans started trolling the game.
Oh okay, it's just to show how sectarian you can be.

Banned
No6 said:
I, too, find the constant declarations of "I'll keep an eye on this" endlessly annoying. Is the game going to improve under your steady gaze?
It's not like wii games are covered and heavily followed by the press. How many wii games would have fallen by the wayside or been forgotten completely if those "evil ninfans" didn't pay attention to the game's development.

Are you just looking for something to bitch about?

Threi

notag
No6 said:

I'm pretty sure i posted this opinion a while ago.

Sometimes i slip up and follow GAF but largely i agree with you.

KevinCow

Banned
Mistouze said:
Seriously people comparing between Pikmin and Overlord are fucking insane. I see the "Guy controlling minions" common stuff but that's about it, the focus of both games, settings, gameplay and design are different.
Sure, but how many "Guy controlling minions" strategy games are there? Pikmin, Overlord, and... that's about it?

As far as I know, Pikmin was the first game that essentially took an RTS and made the player a character on the field as opposed to a floating cursor. It's pretty much inevitable that any game utilizing a similar interface will be compared to Pikmin. I've seen Battalion Wars compared to Pikmin on more than one occasion, for instance.

No6

Vinci said:
I think it's simpler: They want to keep it on the list of things to pay attention to in their heads to read any future news about the game and decide if yes, in fact, it's something they'd be willing to purchase.
That's fine, I have a small list of games stored in my head that, if I see the thread pop up on the first couple pages of gaf, will result in me checking it. I don't, however, feel some sort of strange need to tell people "hey I'm adding Witcher Special Addition to my internal list, look at me I'm special!".
When I look forward to something, sometimes I say it to people around me. Why do you mock people for doing so? Do you live in a cave or what, have you ever, you know, talked to someone?
There's a pretty clear difference between saying "looks good" or "will buy" or "can't wait", which are all pretty throwaway statements of interest (and not really contributive but that's most message boards for ya) and "I'll be keeping an eye on this" which implies that you'll actually be doing something as if it matters.
It's not like wii games are covered and heavily followed by the press. How many wii games would have fallen by the wayside or been forgotten completely if those "evil ninfans" didn't pay attention to the game's development.
None that matter? Do you think that PR releases for Overlord: Dark Legend are just going to stop if Codemasters found out that people in GAF weren't "keeping their eye" on something?

Are you just looking for something to bitch about?
This is pretty laughable given that you were the first person to troll this thread.

KevinCow

Banned
No6 said:
There's a pretty clear difference between saying "looks good" or "will buy" or "can't wait", which are all pretty throwaway statements of interest (and not really contributive but that's most message boards for ya) and "I'll be keeping an eye on this" which implies that you'll actually be doing something as if it matters.
I don't see a difference. Saying, "I'll keep an eye on this," is just a way to say, "This title has my interest, but I am not yet convinced of its quality and will need to hear more about it to decide whether I will purchase it or not," which, like "looks good" and "can't wait," is stating the person's opinion on the game.

Why is "will buy" acceptable, though? Why don't you go on rants about how nobody gives a shit what other people are going to buy?

KevinCow said:
I don't see a difference. Saying, "I'll keep an eye on this," is just a way to say, "This title has my interest, but I am not yet convinced of its quality and will need to hear more about it to decide whether I will purchase it or not," which, like "looks good" and "can't wait," is stating the person's opinion on the game.

Why is "will buy" acceptable, though? Why don't you go on rants about how nobody gives a shit what other people are going to buy?
This. It's saying " Im interested but . . .not sold yet". Kinda like how that new Cursed game for the Wii sounds interesting but I have no vid or screen shots to go off of to see if they are actually doing something more than hyping the game's tech (which may or may not result in something as impressive as The Conduit.)

Really, this whole thing is silly. . .

And yea, Im keeping a eye on this. Never played the game but I did peep afew vids. . .looks cool but I want to see some ingame vids (looks pretty crappy/ not-so-good from the srceens but the other OverLord didn't look that good either so thats probly not the strongest point for this dev. Plus, this is really early. The game is sighted for next year).

(Thats a bit of a lie. Im most likely going to get this as well as Pikmin 3. . . but still, I need more to go off of)

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
KevinCow said:
Sure, but how many "Guy controlling minions" strategy games are there? Pikmin, Overlord, and... that's about it?

As far as I know, Pikmin was the first game that essentially took an RTS and made the player a character on the field as opposed to a floating cursor. I
Not even close. Someone help me out here. Wait, real-time? Umm lemme think.....

Black-Wind how old are you?

Flakster99

Quite the cluster fuck of a thread we have going on here. At least there is some decent info to be had. I'm interested, I'll keep both eyes on this one.

Stop acting like pricks about the port thingy. It's obviously a port of the engine/models/etc... Being a different game doesn't change that.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
KevinCow said:

As far as I know, Pikmin was the first game that essentially took an RTS and made the player a character on the field as opposed to a floating cursor. It's pretty much inevitable that any game utilizing a similar interface will be compared to Pikmin. I've seen Battalion Wars compared to Pikmin on more than one occasion, for instance.

I get that, no problem. But when it comes to the point of saying, "Is shit, Pikmin is better" or the contrary I'm having a meltdown. I guess it's the "This is NEOGAF dude" effect.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Black-Wind said:
Ummmm huh. . .where is this leading to?

OH crap, I just noticed that Im no longer a Jr member. :lol
No it's not that. You used this word in page one.

comparation

I normally don't care if people misspell words but the attempt is so far off I just had to wonder how old you were. For future reference it's "comparison". Normally not a big deal but the last thing this place needs is another "Nintendo fans are kiddie" justification and sadly here on GAF misspelling a word this badly could lead someone to thinking just that.

Shaheed79 said:
No it's not that. You used this word in page one.

comparation

I normally don't care if people misspell words but the attempt is so far off I just had to wonder how old you were. For future reference it's "comparison". Normally not a big deal but the last thing this place needs is another "Nintendo fans are kiddie" justification and sadly here on GAF misspelling a word this badly could lead someone to thinking just that.
Why thank you, I will try to spell-check more often if thats the case (as you can see I sometimes simply type in words how I think they sound. . .bad habbit, I know).

Metalmurphy said:
Stop acting like pricks about the port thingy. It's obviously a port of the engine/models/etc... Being a different game doesn't change that.

yepp, it's a port of an HD game to the Wii. i know, the truth hurts.

Mistouze said:
I get that, no problem. But when it comes to the point of saying, "Is shit, Pikmin is better" or the contrary I'm having a meltdown. I guess it's the "This is NEOGAF dude" effect.
I dont see how any pikmin fan could say that overlord was shit. Im mean, i did like pikmin more, and i felt it had more polish and character, but overlord was a really good game.

Gwanatu T

All the Overlord info today has got me psyched. I loved the first game, quite an interesting mix of Fable and Pikmin if you ask me, and it was really a very unique and genuinely awesome game. The Wii title has pretty nice graphics actually and really does look like Fable on the Xbox now. See:

fable_040104_031_640w.jpg

It really is wonderful seeing this third party support for the Wii, just wish it hit more this year, but I guess if it's coming it's still a good thing.

Also, the DS version look incredible. It's amazing how they squeeze power out of systems after a few years.

Mau ®

davepoobond said:
the PS3 port, while i'm thankful they had it, came out a year after the game came out on 360, so it really couldnt have had too many sales.

I thought it was ridiculous that they charged full price for it, since its over a year old and you can find it for a 1/5 of that price on PC or 360. I'll gladly buy it when its like 39.99.

Anyway Im not entirely sure its a totally new game. The locations seem taken straight from the original Overlord. I do think it looks quite good though.

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
No it isn't. A port is a straight up remake, maybe using the same assets. Same story, same characters, relatively the exact same experience, hopefully better. if the core of the game is new, than it's not port.

This has been the case since the fucking snes days. No reason to change it just to troll the wii.

Are you retarded? Everyone on this board says that about games we know nothing about, and it happens to all consoles.

"Keeping an eye" on Underlord Wii. Bad
Keeping an eye on say....Tales of Vesperia. Completely fine.

Azrael

Andrex said:
Cheaper initial price maybe. Lots of things add up.

And 512MB is still better than nothing. :lol Not having a harddrive doesn't mean it doesn't have on-board storage.

Xbox 360 Arcade includes a 256 MB memory card though.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Can anyone tell me if the DLC expansion pack for the 360 overlord adds the minimap that the PS3 SKU shipped with?

Evander

"industry expert"
hmm, somehow missed this before.

I'll have to beat the 360 version before this comes out.

Metalmurphy said:

Oh, I get it.

So, because they ported a "thing", you're going to call the ENTIRE game a port.

That's like declaring that a game "sucks" because a vacuum cleaner is featured somewhere in it.

Also, many sequels are ports under your definition.

batbeg

I loved the demo and got the game the other day. Will play it before Infinite Undiscovery hits, but I'm already in love with the franchise and all the new games look awesome :D

Graphics look really excellent for the Wii, too! They are seriously putting some effort into this, which makes me happy.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
wow, this game DOES look great in motion. the lighting engine is great. can't wait until it gets closer to release. 2009 year of the Wii confirmed :D

batbeg

The shadows disappear in the second video. Oh well, early days and all that.

Although the developers website did not necessarily give me a lot of faith. Hopefully they pull through on it :D And does anyone know what that PS3 game on their front page is?

Opiate

This game got glowing previews from IGN UK at the recent LGC.

Key quotations:

Actually, when we say it looks very similar to its Xbox 360 we mean it literally. On firing up the demo, Dark Legend's title screen featured a background FMV of fly-bys and cut-scenes which we assumed had been culled from the original game. It quickly became apparent though that these scenes had been taken straight form this Wii version, its in-game engine offering some truly stunning visuals that really haven't been done justice by the first batch of Dark Legend screenshots.

Inspired by classic fairy tales – and skewering them into far less innocent tales for its own nefarious purposes – Dark Legend plays out across a lavish fantasy landscape, with our demo set amongst ramshackle cottages, rolling green hills and cascading waterfalls. The world features vibrant colours, sharp textures, real-time shadows, bloom and incredibly detailed character models in what's possibly the best looking third-party Wii title we've seen so far.

We're hugely encouraged by Codemasters's apparent dedication to quality on the Wii. Dark Legend looks to make the most of the console's hardware and seems to retain all of the original 360 game's charm, humour and appealing game mechanics. Overlord: Dark Legend is due for release around June next year and we can't wait to get our hands on the game in the coming months.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Opiate said:
This game got glowing previews from IGN UK at the recent LGC.

Key quotations:

Actually, when we say it looks very similar to its Xbox 360 we mean it literally. On firing up the demo, Dark Legend's title screen featured a background FMV of fly-bys and cut-scenes which we assumed had been culled from the original game. It quickly became apparent though that these scenes had been taken straight form this Wii version, its in-game engine offering some truly stunning visuals that really haven't been done justice by the first batch of Dark Legend screenshots.

Inspired by classic fairy tales – and skewering them into far less innocent tales for its own nefarious purposes – Dark Legend plays out across a lavish fantasy landscape, with our demo set amongst ramshackle cottages, rolling green hills and cascading waterfalls. The world features vibrant colours, sharp textures, real-time shadows, bloom and incredibly detailed character models in what's possibly the best looking third-party Wii title we've seen so far.

We're hugely encouraged by Codemasters's apparent dedication to quality on the Wii. Dark Legend looks to make the most of the console's hardware and seems to retain all of the original 360 game's charm, humour and appealing game mechanics. Overlord: Dark Legend is due for release around June next year and we can't wait to get our hands on the game in the coming months.

Never believe IGN previews. They're nothing but advertising/hype.

Evander

"industry expert"
evilromero said:
I always wanted the original on 360 after seeing the dark humor and Fable-ish landscapes.

Edit- due for release June 09? Damn.

You can still pick up a copy of it somewhre, I'm sure.

And the sequel will also be on 360 next year (the Wii one seems to be following the DAH! trend of throwing them a non-numbered game when a "real" sequel is coming out soon.)

The entire "main series on HD, spin-off on Wii" isn't a bad idea in principle. The main audience for the game in question so far -is- on the HD console, so it should of course recieve its sequels. And instead of a merely water-downed port, the Wii should get a game which plays differently and utilizes the Wii's advantages - a different game which should appeal to both only-Wii owners as well as multiconsole fans of the original game - people who wouldn't buy the same game twice if it were a direct port. If a spin-off is successful enough, nothing prevents it from starting its own franchise.

However, most spin-offs have been mediocre at best (although I believe that Umbrella Chronicles could be continued as a successful franchise), but the idea is generally sound - it just remains to see if Overlord Dark Legend will be the exception to the rule or not. At least it -looks- good so far.

Top Bottom