• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch beta PC performance thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 325805
  • Start date

Orion514

I was enjoying the hell out of it on console, but having a KB+M is making those precision characters so much more fun.

I'm totally with you on the KB+M thing. Unfortunately, most everyone I know who I'm going to play the game with is getting it on PS4 so I gotta stick with that. It just annoys me sometimes on controller; I know I'd be hitting way more shots with KB+M but I just cant get that accuracy on controller. Haha.

Odrion

Banned
980ti
i7 4970K
32GB DDR3
1440p/144hz display but playing on 120hz ULMB.

At "Epic" settings it stays at 120fps for about 90% of the time. On Ultra it's 99%.

dr_rus

Doesn't seem like there should be any problems on any h/w really: Overwatch тест GPU

Overwatch_1920.jpg
Overwatch_2560.jpg
Overwatch_3840.jpg

ScOULaris

Has anyone compared performance of these two scenarios in terms of both framerate and input lag?

• Borderless window with triple buffering turned off in-game
  • Fullscreen with triple buffering turned on in-game
In both scenarios you should have triple buffering (since Windows forces it when running a game in borderless windowed), but I'm curious if using the in-game option yields higher performance.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm seeing 98% CPU load and 99% GPU load, is that normal? I'm going to turn the graphics to ultra instead of epic to stress the GPU less because of this hitching I'm getting randomly, it's so strange how I can play for an hour at 90fps locked with no issue and then bam, I start dropping frames constantly, usually 5 - 10 at most and when it's doing that it's super choppy. I really want to work this out.

dr_rus

It's really strange that 670 and 950 are performing better than 280x. It looks like game doesn't like AMD GPUs.

I don't have any drops to 50 btw. Maybe 2-3 drops sometimes but i don't even notice it.

If you're looking at 1080p then the best DX11 driver wins because the game is CPU limited in this res probably. In 1440 280X is faster than 950 and even 960 2GB.

doubt theres much of any compute being used.

Even if it was not, it would not mean they are doing it incorrectly. There are of course certain shaders that should and could be done in compute and others that should not.
The recent epic presentations and the couple of GDC presentations highlighted the downsides of doing certain passes in a compute shader and others not. Pretty awesome.

Even if it was not, it would not mean they are doing it incorrectly. There are of course certain shaders that should and could be done in compute and others that should not.
The recent epic presentations and the couple of GDC presentations highlighted the downsides of doing certain passes in a compute shader and others not. Pretty awesome.

not about being good or bad, just a big reason why kepler is ding well. kepler will typically do fine in older engines not using modern techniques

dr_rus

not about being good or bad, just a big reason why kepler is ding well. kepler will typically do fine in older engines not using modern techniques

Not really true as you can do all modern techniques just fine without patching up the pipeline with compute to make them work on console GCN chips @ 30 fps.

Shy

So is anyone else having this problem, or know to help.

For every other resolution i can choose from different refresh rates, except at 1080P where it only goes up to 59htz.

I don't know how to fix it, as everywhere else it's set to 60 (in the Nvidia control panel, and in Windows)

EDIT: Forgot to mention i'm running Windows 10. Don't if that'll help.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
If you're looking at 1080p then the best DX11 driver wins because the game is CPU limited in this res probably. In 1440 280X is faster than 950 and even 960 2GB.

I'm actually GPU bottlenecked at 1080p on a 280x, if I run windowed I get a good 20+ FPS.

Tip for those who want more fps:

Turn dynamic reflections from ultra to off.

I went from 65-70 fps at 1440p on a gtx 970 to 120 fps with just that one change.
Considering the game looks basically identical with it off or on ulta (you still get the cubemap reflections on your weapons and on certain parts of the environment) the performance hit for that one setting is ridiculous and not worth it.

The game also suffers from shitloads of input lag at 60 fps so doubling the framerate mitigates it somewhat.

Also important:

Stressing your video card does indeed cause input lag.

This may explain your hitching, but this definitely fixed my floaty mouse input.

Not sure if they ever fixed it

It doesn't really 'fix' the input lag, it just reduces it so it's a bit more manageable

the mouse is still very floaty at 120 fps for me (much less than at 60, but it's still bad)

Go back and forth between overwatch and cs:go or dirty bomb or even battlefield (which also suffers from some input lag) and the difference is night and day.

The input lag is the main thing putting me off from overwatch right now, it's just not enjoyable to me to have to fight the controls like this.

Hmmm... thanks for posting this. That would explain why upping certain graphical settings increases mouse delay without seeing a hit in FPS. Weird.

Which settings are those? I doubled my fps by turning off reflections but it still feels laggy, if there's anything else I can turn off to reduce the input lag (you mention mouse delay without seeing hit in fps) that would be great

So every time I exit the game I my OS is very laggy and/or freezes and I have to hard reset my system.

While the game is running it works fine.

EDIT: Reinstall of the latest drivers fixed this.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
60fps with everything maxed 1080p. Good times

i5 4690k
16gb ram
2 X gtx970 (no idea if the SLI is even working tho, rpobably not)

Zexen

Doesn't seem like there should be any problems on any h/w really: Overwatch тест GPU

Overwatch_1920.jpg
Overwatch_2560.jpg
Overwatch_3840.jpg
So, SLI is indeed working? Maybe I should update my drivers, I'm on 364.72.
It's really strange that 670 and 950 are performing better than 280x. It looks like game doesn't like AMD GPUs.

I don't have any drops to 50 btw. Maybe 2-3 drops sometimes but i don't even notice it.
Blizzard games are not known to be kind on AMD cards, being most of the time CPU limited, and we all know how AMD's struggles with CPU overhead (corrected thanks to DX12).

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So no one else is seeing performance degradation after prolonged play?

Firebrand

The ingame FPS counter is a bit weird, I have frame rate limit set to display (59Hz), yet the counter hovers on 70 (except for hero portraits where it drops to 52, for some reason).

Playing with the latest drivers on my 2GB GTX 770, max setting 1080p and keeping a constant 60+ FPS, no complaints here. Blizzard games making me feel like I don't need to upgrade for just a bit longer.

As for the performance degradation issue, I haven't seen it. I would say about 3-3.5 hours has been my longest individual session and I didn't notice an issue during that time.

K.Sabot

i thought my 2012 era computer parts were garbage when it struggled to run SFV with shitty settings

but I can run this better looking game on high and get 80 fps.

SugarDave

i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz
Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 @ 1532MHz OC
16GB RAM

Everything maxed seemed to run at roughly 70-80fps, I'll try turning down the dynamic reflections setting like Stephan said above to see if I can bump it up to 120fps.

Has anyone else experienced their screen turning black during play? It's happened a handful of times now and I have to restart the game to fix it. The HUD, killcams and menus aren't affected but everything else will turn pitch black. I'm trying to determine whether it's an issue with the beta in general or if it's possibly my drivers (the latest 365.10).

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, could it be my GPU overclock? It was stable in all the testing when I recently set it so any problems with the GPU since then I've kind of put down to the fact that some of the latest Nvidia drivers have been shoddy.

jony_m

What is the consensus on the built-in render scaler?

I've left it at auto and it defaults to 122% on epic settings/everything maxed @ 1440p

I haven't noticed a dropped frame under 60 (6700K@4.4 - 980Ti@1400ish)

Renekton

i thought my 2012 era computer parts were garbage when it struggled to run SFV with shitty settings

but I can run this better looking game on high and get 80 fps.
It's a very undemanding game, if Blizzard wanted it can be squeezed into PS360.

i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz
16GB RAM

Everything maxed seemed to run at roughly 70-80fps, I'll try turning down the dynamic reflections setting like Stephan said above to see if I can bump it up to 120fps.

Has anyone else experienced their screen turning black during play? It's happened a handful of times now and I have to restart the game to fix it. The HUD, killcams and menus aren't affected but everything else will turn pitch black. I'm trying to determine whether it's an issue with the beta in general or if it's possibly my drivers (the latest 365.10).

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, could it be my GPU overclock? It was stable in all the testing when I recently set it so any problems with the GPU since then I've kind of put down to the fact that some of the latest Nvidia drivers have been shoddy.

That does seem like an insane overclock lol

Mine runs at 1300 mhz (though I haven't overclocked beyond the overclock the gpu came with (asus strix) )

i7 4790K @ 4.4GHz
16GB RAM

my 970 did this same exact thing when the overclock was unstable. Had to turn it down to 1500MHz and it never happened again.

What resolution are you running at? 70-80 fps seems low with those settings if at 1080p and 100% render scale.

SugarDave

And here I thought I'd got lucky with my card lol.

I'll sort that out then, the factory OC was 1392MHz I believe. Is the memory clock worth changing?

EDIT: Knocked the core down 20MHz and the memory down 50MHz. Everything maxed at 1080p gives me 110fps now and if I put dynamic reflections on medium it's pretty much a constant 120fps.

So I turned more stuff to medium and it seems to have reduced the input lag to where it's finally no longer screwing with my enjoyment of the game.

It's weird, everything medium or everything ultra (aside from the reflections) has no real effect on my fps, I sit at about 120 fps either way, but the reduction in input lag is significant

this is the weirdest engine

Swhalen

Anybody have any weird graphic issues with this game? I have a GTX 680 and 16gb of ram. When I play on PC I get constant flickering of textures.

GTX 980, i5-4670, 8 GB of RAM with a quad HD monitor.

I can get over 60 fps on Epic which really surprised me. However, I had to roll back my drivers because after installing them for Battleborn, my Overwatch performance went to shit. Like, around 40 fps average.

Top Bottom