• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch has 7 million+ players

Guymelef

Again, since they are likely counting unique account logins, 7 million players means at least 7 million copies were sold. It does not factor in retail copies that were sold through and never opened/used, and likely doesn't include people who bought the game on multiple platforms as it would count that as one User.

So again, it should be reiterated that the game sold at least 7 million units unless Blizzard is using some unorthodox way of qualifying people as users (which is unlikely).

I wouldn't be surprised if Activision sends out a press release soon claiming #1 new IP in history.

One disc, infinite possibilities.
PS4-OS-Screenshot-1-1024x576.jpeg

Jito

Banned
Again, since they are likely counting unique account logins, 7 million players means at least 7 million copies were sold. It does not factor in retail copies that were sold through and never opened/used, and likely doesn't include people who bought the game on multiple platforms as it would count that as one User.

So again, it should be reiterated that the game sold at least 7 million units unless Blizzard is using some unorthodox way of qualifying people as users (which is unlikely).

I wouldn't be surprised if Activision sends out a press release soon claiming #1 new IP in history.

I can tell you for starters they're 2 less than 7 million sold then as I've had two other accounts playing the one copy I've bought.

Afrodium

Banned
I hope a new IP with a female on the cover and a wonderfully divers cast selling gangbusters will causing the video game industry to wake the fuck up.

MUnited83

For you.

physical copies are not linked to a account and could be passed on a infinite ammount of new players with new accounts. Same for the digital console version, you can play it with any of the accounts on your console and each one will be its own individual account.

If it's players it can't be that far off from the actual 7 million sales. Great start regardless for Overwatch though. People should stop trying to downplay

fhqwhgads

Hopefully this gives Valve an incentive to give Team Fortress some better treatment. Game has been lingering for the past few years since the TF2 Team has been heavily reliant on the community to provide content to fill in the droughts, meanwhile DOTA and CS have 10 times as many employees working on them than TF2 does and those playerbases are healthier than ever. The game isn't going to last much longer if Valve isn't going to support the team working on the game better. Fully aware that TF2 is still popular, but the general opinion has really gone down and Overwatch being such a juggernaut isn't going to help TF2's situation.

Hektor

I actually wear my battlenet login on my shirt in public, so there have probably been around 250 people playing my copy.

Guymelef

If it's players it can't be that far off from the actual 7 million sales. Great start regardless for Overwatch though. People should stop trying to downplay

It's not trying to downplay, it's calling things by its name.
Same situation when we usually discuss about shipped copies or sold through.

trixx

It's not tied to a Bnet id. Well you can tie it but you don't have to and even then the disc will work with other accounts and you can sell it.

Wow I'd rather get it on console then. The battleid thing is dumb when you have multiple siblings that want to play the game as well

also brilliant for Blizzard to make specs low, so almost any PC can run decently and yet still look great. Good stuff

Title has been updated for clarity. But given more PC focus than other AAA blockbusters and that it's only been out for a week (and thus there's been less opportunity for copy sharing/trading in/renting), that number has to be pretty close.

* I should add that this obviously doesn't factor in the secondary market (trade, rental, etc) but in the first week of release I think that's a fairly small factor.

The PR is already out and all it says is that Overwatch is "one of the most successful global game launches of all time". No record has been broken here, and since it's ActiBlizz, no sell-through data will come.

There is no doubt Overwatch is an excellent launch, GfK said it was the fastest selling Blizzard game on console for UK, which means it was stronger than Diablo III, but the "number of players" was never the same thing as a sell-through number, such as the one Sony gave recently with Uncharted 4.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
But Diablo 3 was PC only, so apples to Oranges. Diablo 3 on 3 platforms probably would have sold 10 million week 1.

Sure, but that's literally what they listed as their expectation. "Biggest Blizzard launch since Diablo 3 in 2012".

The biggest game since then was Draenor in 2012 with 3.3 million copies in a day (but it didn't climb as fast as Diablo 3 did for the full week).

Nokterian

Sure, but that's literally what they listed as their expectation. "Biggest Blizzard launch since Diablo 3 in 2012".

The biggest game since then was Draenor in 2012 with 3.3 million copies in a day (but it didn't climb as fast as Diablo 3 did for the full week).

WoD launched in 2014 not 2012.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
7 million players doesn't exactly mean 7 million copies sold, especially since the game has a different business model in South Korea where users play it at PC Bangs. (dunno what the situation is in China).

Top Bottom