• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch has 7 million+ players

Seiniyta

I retracted my statement and I do think it did break Diablo 3's 6.3 million

Diablo 3 did launch only on PC though whilst Overwatch is multiplatform. So on a single platform Diablo 3 still did a lot better. Doesn't make Overwatch's sales any less of a accomplishment however!

TheBeebs

Neo Member
giphy.gif

bombshell

Why did the thread merge go with the slightly misleading title?

It didn't actually do that great physically in the UK. But seems like the rest of the world has certainly picked up that slack and then some.

900% digitally in UK, obviously.

Navid

Great attachment numbers compared to the 9 and a half million (I think) people who played the beta... especially so early after release.

Would be interesting to see the platform split though.

Mrbob

I remember all the shit I took for saying this would be a bigger new IP launch than The Division. Not going to gloat now. Nope. Just never underestimate Blizzard.

Wagram

Great sales.

"According to Game Informer, “Overwatch is an amazing experience,” concluding in its 10-out-of-10 review that “things will never be the same.”"

Yeah, sure.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Less than the number of people who played the beta?

Edit: Oh, Watch Dogs sold 4 million in the first week. I guess that means Overwatch did sell well

It's a really big number for a first week. Skyrim shipped 7 million up front and got to 20+ million, and Diablo 3 shipped 6.3 million and got to 30+ million when combining in the expansion pack.

cr0w

Old Member
Man I really want to give this a shot, but as a solo player (none of my friends even own a PS4, and everyone I used to play with has gone on to greener pastures) I hear it would be a nightmare.

wrowa

What does 7 million players mean, though? Are they actually referring to 7 million sales or is something like a print magazine claiming to be read by a 100 million people, because their surveys show that each printed magazine is read by 100 different people?

Sweetooth

Neo Member
If there's 7M players that means it sold at LEAST 7M copies. If you factor in the amount of retail copies purchased but have not been played yet, it should be more.

Diablo 3 did launch only on PC though whilst Overwatch is multiplatform. So on a single platform Diablo 3 still did a lot better. Doesn't make Overwatch's sales any less of a accomplishment however!

True, would like to see what the playerbase is on PC but god damn 7 mil is nothing to shy away from.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
logging more than 119 million hours [...] teamed up to deliver 11 million payloads to their destinations
1 payload delivered per 11hrs of gametime / 12 players per game = 1 payload delivered per 1hr of "real" game time? Seems low.

(Congrats Overwatch!)

Top Bottom