• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

What's your current SR?

Mid 2500s. Spent too much time this season struggling to get out of Gold due to the BS lowering of starting SR. My goal is currently to get to 2600-2700 range so I'll hopefully start in Plat next season for sure and go from there.

It's usually good aim bad positioning.

Not in my case! Still need to get my sensitivity in a good spot - it's almost there though, I've been having better games as aim-oriented DPS recently.

Reaching diamond is just pure luck at this point. There is no skill involved.

I'd like to think with enough time and effort and tweaking of settings I could make it, unfortunately I like to play games other than Overwatch so I don't spend as much time honing my skills. I only have 100 games or so of competitive this season - last season I had something like 20 total. Luckily there aren't that many games I'm super interested in this fall so maybe I can dedicate more time to OW.

Or it's completely luck-based and I just pray. That works too.

PatjuhR

Mid 2500s. Spent too much time this season struggling to get out of Gold due to the BS lowering of starting SR. My goal is currently to get to 2600-2700 range so I'll hopefully start in Plat next season for sure and go from there.

I don't get this from Overwatch. Why even have placements when you are going to end up near last season anyways?

LiK

I don't get this from Overwatch. Why even have placements when you are going to end up near last season anyways?

Placements are pretty useless with how close the seasons are now. Also, we're gonna be most likely placed 100-300 SR below our final SR of current season again if their system remains unchanged.

Making fun of plat

Not cool man not cool

:(

It's still a pretty funny line.
But with Anne, I usually just substitute "plat" with "low bronze" and it all makes sense.
In my son's wood SR games I am not scared of Winston at all. When he dives on my Zen, he has made a serious tactical error.

The GM Zens I watch, they are saying, "I'm dead." the instant they see a Winston jumping.

Schlep

After this last match, I'd say the hardest part of playing Mercy is getting people to listen. Me: "If you're going to die, do it on the point." Team: "So you're saying die in 5 different places across two maps?"

I've been stuck around 2500-2600 for a while now. It sucks. Playing solo I had much better teammates in all-gold games, dealing with salty 2600SR diamond players is the worst.

It's funny how people at every rank look at the next rank up as this wonderland where everyone works together and is really good, like I've heard so many people say "if i could just get to diamond I know I'll get to masters".

I've been stuck around 2500-2600 for a while now. It sucks. Playing solo I had much better teammates in all-gold games, dealing with salty 2600SR diamond players is the worst.

It's funny how people at every rank look at the next rank up as this wonderland where everyone works together and is really good, like I've heard so many people say "if i could just get to diamond I know I'll get to masters".

It was funny, when I was climbing the ranks when i got the PC version, I was in high gold and we had a diamond on the team. It was nauseating how much praise he was getting from everyone just because of his rank. He was even acting cocky too lol, I couldnt help but laugh. Why they didn't ponder why he got his SR down to Gold level was beyond me.

Mr Git

Eeep is it that bad? This is my first comp season and I've gained 500 SR in 6 hours playtime - now in platinum. Was hoping to climb a bit more this season but so far games haven't looked good. I need to stack up really, randoms is hard work.

LiK

Eeep is it that bad? This is my first comp season and I've gained 500 SR in 6 hours playtime - now in platinum. Was hoping to climb a bit more this season but so far games haven't looked good. I need to stack up really, randoms is hard work.

Who's your mains?

I don't think the quality of game will get any better at Diamond, but personally I just want to make it because I feel like mentally I have Diamond understanding of how to play the game, but mechanically I can range anywhere from Bronze to Diamond depending on the day. I still make really stupid mistakes on occasion and it's because in the moment I discard all rational thought processes and strategies in the game and just go AHHHHHH. It's why I've never been good at fighting games - I can do combo inputs and remember moves and know strategies, but I get into a match and panic and then get combo'd into oblivion.

Also most of the people I usually play with are high Platinum/Diamond range and I felt like the kid brother that got ordered to tag along by the rest of the group's mother with my Gold ranking for most of this season while I was grouping up with them. So there's that.

I don't think the quality of game will get any better at Diamond, but personally I just want to make it because I feel like mentally I have Diamond understanding of how to play the game, but mechanically I can range anywhere from Bronze to Diamond depending on the day. I still make really stupid mistakes on occasion and it's because in the moment I discard all rational thought processes and strategies in the game and just go AHHHHHH. It's why I've never been good at fighting games - I can do combo inputs and remember moves and know strategies, but I get into a match and panic and then get combo'd into oblivion.

Also most of the people I usually play with are high Platinum/Diamond range and I felt like the kid brother that got ordered to tag along by the rest of the group's mother with my Gold ranking for most of this season while I was grouping up with them. So there's that.

There is a noticeable difference with an all Diamond team vs an all Platinum team. People have a better understanding for picking heroes, aim, positioning, game sense, comboing ults, etc. Same goes for moving up to Masters/GM. However, you can't avoid the randoms that want to play only their mains, carried players, tilted players or people who just want to throw. That's just Overwatch.

antitrop

There is a noticeable difference with an all Diamond team vs an all Platinum team. People have a better understanding for picking heroes, aim, positioning, game sense, comboing ults, etc. Same goes for moving up to Masters/GM. However, you can't avoid the randoms that want to play only their mains, carried players, tilted players or people who just want to throw. That's just Overwatch.

I think the 3 things that get noticeably better as you climb through the ranks are (in order):

1. Ult use and economy management
HUGE GAP
2. Positioning
3. Aim

Basically, Ults are incredibly important to the game and most people don't treat them that way.

LiK

I think the 3 things that more noticeably better as you climb through the ranks are (in order):

HUGE GAP
2. Positioning
3. Aim

Basically, Ults are incredibly important to the game and most people don't treat them that way.

Would you include target priority as number 4?

Jellie

Would you include target priority as number 4?
Probably above aim. You aren't going to do anything if you shoot different targets. Just feeding support ult
like with junkrat :p
and killing them slower than they kill you so you'd lose.

I think the 3 things that more noticeably better as you climb through the ranks are (in order):

HUGE GAP
2. Positioning
3. Aim

Definitely agree with #1. From my experience when playing on an alt account with friends/coworkers, too many people in lower ranks want to solo ult when it's not in their favor or hang onto ults when they should've popped it.

antitrop

Definitely agree with #1. From my experience when playing on an alt account with friends/coworkers, too many people in lower ranks want to solo ult when it's not in their favor or hang onto ults when they should've popped it.

With how often Overwatch gets described as a "Press Q to Win" game, you would think the community would be overall more judicious with their ult usage, but they aren't.

Oh shit a bad sleep dart. I never had one of those, ever. Seriously.

I would say the fact that she is playing with pro players is more important to me when watching this clip.

Bet she was getting owned by wraxu :p

Reaching diamond is just pure luck at this point. There is no skill involved.

Skii o/

I do agree with this in a way that a player with the exact same skill level as other can be in a significantly different SR since this is a 6vs6 game, so there's always a good chunk of luck involved, even more now that Blizz completely broke the SR system.

It also depends a lot with the characters he mains, some have more carry potential than others. Same thing with communication (good callouts and sutff), though that's harder on europe.

LiK

Probably above aim. You aren't going to do anything if you shoot different targets. Just feeding support ult
like with junkrat :p
and killing them slower than they kill you so you'd lose.

Yup, as soon as we get a pick or two. It becomes a lot easier to win team fights especially when they trickle back in.

With how often Overwatch gets described as a "Press Q to Win" game, you would think the community would be overall more judicious with their ult usage, but they aren't.

I was happy when they increased the Ult charge cuz it was ridiculous how quickly people gained their Ults back then.

Jellie

Oh shit a bad sleep dart. I never had one of those, ever. Seriously.

I would say the fact that she is playing with pro players is more important to me when watching this clip.

Bet she was getting owned by wraxu :p

Skii o/

I do agree with this in a way that a player with the exact same skill level as other can be in a significantly different SR since this is a 6vs6 game, so there's always a good chunk of luck involved, even more now that Blizz completely broke the SR system.

It also depends a lot with the characters he mains, some have more carry potential than others. Same thing with communication (good callouts and sutff), though that's harder on europe.
If I recall right Anne said every time she peeked wraxu killed her.
Wraxu was on the enemy team for three games in a row lmao

antitrop

I think the worst mismanaging of Ults in lower ranks comes down to overuse. Team hears one guy pop his Ult and suddenly it's just 5 different Ult voice lines playing over each other, when you probably only needed 1 or 2 to cleanly win the fight.

Top Bottom