• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: First Details revealed for Valve's next Game, Deadlock

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Angry Meryl Streep GIF
That stare frightens me and turns me on at the same time.

Wow. Kind of wish I hadn't clicked on this. Literally every word in the description of what type of game this is a turn-off. Modern Valve as a game developer is just completely lackluster and awful. Hasn't been anything good since Half-Life 2. What a waste. And they absorbed the team that was making Valley of the Gods, to make a fcking Half-Life VR game, and canceled Valley of the Gods.

I swear sometimes we live in like *the worst timeline.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Comprehensive reading troubles?

'After years' meaning after the Wilderness periode at Valve, before Alyx. Alyx was the revitalized kick off point that Valve was interested again in focussing on making games.
username checks out xD

Holammer

I'll judge it when I see it, but I suspect it'll be forgotten like Artifact & Dota Underlords after 2 years.
Valve needs to do "real" games to uphold its brand rather than milking machines.

Hate when maps have Lanes , I like an open map design , hit them from any angle. Ppl be camping lanes behind a box, making you having to check every corner.

Atleast COD was like that . Not sure if these hero shooters are

BlazinAm

I feel like Valve has a good ear to the ground when it comes to player wants and trends and they have to see that a hero based shooter is not the way to go. Building unique characters with combo of traits, skills and weapons seems to be the way to go. Let the e-sports money come to you not chase after it. Although I would keep a close eye on Marvel Rivals.

Good luck to them, multiplayer sucks.

I want Portal 3 most of all.

Half Life 3 already happened but some people are in denial due to VR
Ehhhh... I would say they gave us Half-Life 2 Episode 3 more than Half Life 3.

Last edited:
Ehhhh... I would say they gave us Half-Life 2 Episode 3 more than Half Life 3.
Disagree.

Alyx's length (~12 hours for main playthrough) is in the same ballpark as HL2 (~13-15). The episodes are only about 5 hours each.

Additionally, the episodes are not presented as true successors since they generally reuse the same engine and tech, just adding more. HL:Alyx is a generation leap (several, in fact) over the tech in the previous entry, actually a much bigger leap even than between HL1 and 2. In every way it is a sequel-level entry in the series rather than an add on.

Hudo

Are there any news about some games with singleplayer content from Valve? I don't even ask about Half-Life 3. Just something that isn't some multiplayer microtransaction/DLC platform.

Please, someone, get me out of this fucking nightmare of bland hero shooter shit. I will repeat this as many times if I have to.

If I want a whacky shooter, I will play Fortnite, if I want a hero shooter, I will play overwatch. THE END.

These games are blowing it. CoD and Battlefield have their own, separate markets that they refuse to acknowledge and build their games around.

Instead like 10 different games at any one time all copy eachother and none of them are fun or unique. This industry has become such garbage.

Draugoth

Gold Member
More info

• Currently in Closed Alpha with hundreds of people playing. This initially included friends and family members of Valve employees, but invites have been spread more widely.
  • Competitive YouTubers have also been invited to play but they are under NDA
  • He's surprised more details haven't leaked before today considering how many people are playing.
  • Announcement is likely imminent

mrqs

Obviously not coming to consoles. Right? I don't even have a Windows PC anymore, has been years. Sucks. Hope it's good tho!

Toons

yeaaah.. not sure we need another hero shooter

Hero shooters have been doing pretty great in terms of ROI more consistently than almost any other genre so it doesn't surprise me that we're seeing more of em

Edit: I for one welcome it. Don't know why there's so much ire towards them, im a busy guy and most of my time is spend on these types of games in general

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Gold Member
Most of Valve's recent games are GaaS no? What do you think Counter Strike and Dota 2 have been?

I actually REALLY liked Paragon. I was sad to hear they gave up on it. I played it til it was shut down. Main'd Faye.
Paragon came back as Predecessor. You can play it right now:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
A summary of the thread so far...

Valve is close to revealing their new 3rd person, hero based MOBA. A genre in which there are about 7 games total.

NeoGAF: *Whines about creative bankruptcy because 7 is too many*

Will update further as the insightful takes load in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom