• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2023 Nominees will be announced on November 13th

Wunray

Yeah BG3 has this, as much as I like Zelda it's not better than what BG3 offers, and that's one hell of an achievement.

skit_data

I mean it's nominated largely by the same journalists that gave Starfiled a (deservedly) mediocre score and Mario Wonder a (deservedly) great score so not sure what the surprise is. There's probably 5-10 games that would still be nominated after Mario Wonder but before Starfield if we're being honest.
Yeah, in that way it of course makes sense but I still thought there might be some politics behind the scenes for the sake of maximum engagement. Having one game from each platform holder would probably produce that effect.

But anyway I think the nominations are fair and good, I personally think BG3 will sweep most categories and rightly so.

MiguelItUp

I'm surprised Lies of P wasn't nominated more, especially for the music. Of the games I played this year, I felt like it was easily the most memorable. Oh well, I do hope they win at least one category, if they won both where they were nominated that'd be awesome.

I haven't even played BG3 and I hope it wins everywhere else, especially GOTY.

Roberts

Do you have a music or theme to reccomend to us? A few posters have said the same and I am curious of what I have missed as I have yet to play the game.
Punished Miku Punished Miku should be your guide for this. Posted a lot of links on Starfield OT. (edit: Ha, he already did that!)

I love all the bombastic, epic stuff, but it really shines at more subtle moments and echoing (without ripping-off) motives familiar to us from many sci-fi movies like Blade Runner, for example. Also, the way these 6 notes from the main theme sneaked into many others was sublime - it plays when you level up so I heard it more than 50 times and it never got old.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
None of those games deserve nomination. FFXVI might win Best Soundtrack, and SFVI will definitely win Best Fighting game.

It's not a trash list. You're delusional if you think Starfield deserved to be on that list. Maybe if it were a less crowded year, but as it is, Starfield doesn't deserve to sniff the asshole of most of those games on that list.

Lmao whatever dude, thats like your opinion. Game rated highly across the board and sold millions.

MMaRsu

Banned
Destiny 2 being nominated for Best Community Support is the funniest goddamn thing I’ve ever seen. Especially since they fired almost their entire community support staff lol

Thats why these awards are just trash

I feel like its just corporate dicksucking

MMaRsu

Banned
Imagine buying half of the game industry and still not having a goty nominee. Ooof

Theres def an anti Xbox bias.

I mean come on, putting Cyberpunk on their ongoing games nominees, while Halo doesnt get put on there?

Isnt Halo an actual liveservice game, and Cyberpunk just got a patch + DLC?

F-1IdL1X0AACyxR

And I loved Cyberpunk, and didnt really care for Halo myself.

Dazraell

Hi-Fi Rush is a great game and I'd nominate that. Ofcourse it would have no chance against TOTK or Spiderman 2

I was just sarcastic. Hi-Fi Rush looks really solid. I also loved Pentiment, was even hoping that it will have Best Art Direction nomination as I believe it missed the cutoff point last year

Denton

This is what I expected:

Zelda
Mario
BG3
AW2
Spidey 2
Starfield

Well, I guess Bethesda's free GOTY presence is officially gone now when they put Remake ahead of their latest.
I just hope BG3 will win this over god damn Zelda: Copypaste of the Kingdom

Luigi Mario

There was little chance it was getting a GOTY nomination, but I still would have rather seen Street Fighter 6 take the spot of RE4R. Hopefully it is going to win the “Best Fighting” category.
Also, Octopath Traveler II should have been considered for its phenomenal soundtrack.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I mean come on, putting Cyberpunk on their ongoing games nominees, while Halo doesnt get put on there?

F-1IdL1X0AACyxR

Or maybe the game just isn't as good nor as popular as those on the list.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I voted for Mario Wonder for GotY, but it's certainly NOT my game of the Year. Armored Core was.

Zelda was great but the more I played it the more I disliked it. The finale was pretty lame.

And while I loved Baldurs Gate, it was too much of a glitchfest for it to deserve GotY. It is one of the most technically unsound games I've ever played, and I wished I had waited a year for them to fix it before I had played. It is fundamentally a fantastic game from a design standpoint, but I'm execution it was very frustrating. I loved it in spite of it. I did vote for it in its other categories though.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Or maybe the game just isn't as good nor as popular as those on the list.
I don't play Halo, but from what I've heard the game has greatly improved since launch, with more added modes, listening to the community etc.

And you know, its an actual ongoing game?

Cyberpunk isnt an 'ongoing game' for doing patches + DLC. LMAO

F-1IdL1X0AACyxR

I'm not surprised about Halo not being there, I'm surprised about Warzone.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Best Ongoing Game
Cyberpunk 2077 (CD Projekt Red)

What???
Thats so stupid, it wasn't ongoing, they released broken game and they just try to fix it. I dont care how much they fixed the game, they shouldn't be award for releasing absolutely broken game then later on fix it.

So its okay to release busted game full price but as long as they fix it later on? No, that practice shouldn't be be encouraged.

mrmustard

Banned

F-1IdL1X0AACyxR

LMAO, what the hell is Cyberpunk doing there? And sorry, i think Sea of Thieves, No Man Sky or WOW deserve the spot Cyberpunk blocks rather than Halo.

Last edited:

Damigos

I don't think Starfield will make it.

-Baldurs Gate 3
-Zelda TotK
-Spider-Man 2
-SMB Wonder
-Alan Wake 2
-Street Fighter 6
Starfield doesnt deserve to make it unfortunately. So many better games this year, those you said plus another 10 at least

Best Ongoing Game
Cyberpunk 2077 (CD Projekt Red)

uuuuuh what? "PATCH UNTIL ITS FINISHED THREE YEARS LATER" is not an "ongoing/GaaS game".

Stupid inclusion.

Best Art Direction
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo EPD/Nintendo)

Gross.

Starfield should've been nominated instead of this.

Dazraell

I personally think "Best DLC / Expansion" category would be much more suiting as a category for Cyberpunk. Plus there were some strong DLC / Expansions this year, so quite a few titles to pick like Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed, Horizon Forbidden West - Burning Shores, RE4: Separate Ways, etc

MMaRsu

Banned
LMAO, what the hell is Cyberpunk doing there? And sorry, i think Sea of Thieves, No Man Sky or WOW deserve the spot Cyberpunk blocks rather than Halo.
Any of those would be better. Valorant even.

Also no Music or Art direction nominees for Starfield are really retarded.

Roberts

Obviously I didn’t expect to see them there, but I kind of wished Grounded and Sea of Thieves were nominated for ongoing. Both have been pretty much perfect for a while now and the added content made them even better.

Topher

Gold Member
LMAO, what the hell is Cyberpunk doing there?

Why wouldn't Cyberpunk be there? They revamped the gameplay and added DLC nearly three years after release. That sounds exactly like an "ongoing" effort. And since it is the VGA who decide what games fit each criteria, it seems they agree.

Top Bottom