• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2023 Nominees will be announced on November 13th

SJRB

Gold Member
Some of the reactions in this thread are pure gold.

bfb.jpg

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Is playing Octopath Traveller 1 elevates the experience of the sequel?
Not really, no, probably the opposite because they have a lot of similarities and I wouldn't personally recommend playing them back to back. Just play part 2. It is the better of the 2. If you like it, play part 1 down the road sometime. I also liked it a lot, but 2 is better.

3liteDragon

Best case scenario for me is Spider Man 2 wins it all and the director gets up there and gives a 20 minute acceptance speech with MJ's mo-cap actress. The Sony fans and the PC gaming fans will literally disembowel each other and it will be glorious to see.
The Spider-Man 2 cope is hilarious to watch in all these threads.

Michael Jordan Lol GIF by ESPN

Not really, no, probably the opposite because they have a lot of similarities and I wouldn't personally recommend playing them back to back. Just play part 2. It is the better of the 2. If you like it, play part 1 down the road sometime. I also liked it a lot, but 2 is better.

You dont need to play first game, the story is not connected.

Perfect. Thank you both.

mrmustard

Banned
Why wouldn't Cyberpunk be there? They revamped the gameplay and added DLC nearly three years after release. That sounds exactly like an "ongoing" effort. And since it is the VGA who decide what games fit each criteria, it seems they agree.
To me an ongoing game is a gaas game with continous support and content and not a dlc after 3 years. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Rran

Octopath 2 (and 1 for that matter) honestly has one of my all-time favorite gaming soundtracks. These Game Awards are ludicrous, and yes, I am Anally Annihilated about it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Why wouldn't Cyberpunk be there? They revamped the gameplay and added DLC nearly three years after release. That sounds exactly like an "ongoing" effort. And since it is the VGA who decide what games fit each criteria, it seems they agree.
Because they are were not "supporting" the game they were fixing broken game. I dont understand why devs should be rewarded releasing broken game.....its okay for devs release broken game as long as they fix it later on?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So happy to see Alan wake 2 I'm the running. Just a dream that the game exists and for it to be ...such it's own identity, trying new things. Absolutely amazing game.

I've not played bg3, but I understand how amazing that game is. My heart is with Alan Wake II

Topher

Gold Member
Because they are were not "supporting" the game they were fixing broken game. I dont understand why devs should be rewarded releasing broken game.....its okay for devs release broken game as long as they fix it later on?

Just not true. The 2.0 was factually much more than game fixes. They overhauled many of the systems and made significant improvements to gameplay overall. Yes, there were a lot of fixes in the update that needed to happen but to summarize it as simply fixing a broken game is not accurate.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

I think common nomenclature indicates that when a number of consumers hear "ongoing," they think of something with continued drip feed updates, expansions, 24 hour service, etc. I mean....past and current nominees support this interpretation, essentially all being MMOs or GAAS. I mean...that's kind of the tip of the iceberg, and if I were seriously invested enough, I'd go into my thoughts about DLC being included in awards not specifically tailored to it is kinda shit, too.

Unfortunately, this is TGA, and it's primarily orchestrated by game journalism, so to adequately convey the level of seriousness I believe this issue warrants, I'd need a lion, a flaming hoop and seven clowns.

Danjin44

Just not true. The 2.0 was factually much more than game fixes. They overhauled many of the systems and made significant improvements to gameplay overall. Yes, there were a lot of fixes in the update that needed to happen but to summarize it as simply fixing a broken game is not accurate.
I still havent played it but 2.0 how the game should have released in the first place, when the game first released it was literately busted and unfinished and in my opinion they shouldn't be rewarded for that.

IT NO OKAY to release full price broken game.

Topher

Gold Member
I still havent played it but 2.0 how the game should have released in the first place, when the game first released it was literately busted and unfinished and in my opinion they shouldn't be rewarded for that.

IT NO OKAY to release full price broken game.

I would agree with you if this nomination were about fixing a broken game, but I just don't see it as that. We disagree. It's fine.

Danjin44

I would agree with you if this nomination were about fixing a broken game, but I just don't see it as that. We disagree. It's fine.
??? They shouldn't be even fucking category for it, that would be very stupid.

Doom85

Seriously, I assumed ongoing meant content updates, not bug fixes and such. So I don’t see why Cyberpunk should be controversial since most praised the DLC expansion.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
??? There isn't. None of this is about a "broken game".
Topher Topher , buddy, it's literally about updates for a broken game. That's the on-going support.

Then there's a DLC expansion.

Danjin44

Seriously, I assumed ongoing meant content updates, not bug fixes and such. So I don’t see why Cyberpunk should be controversial since most praised the DLC expansion.
Then why Xenoblade 3 not nominated? Since that game also got big expansion this year and unlike CP 2077 it was full functioning game from release, without ever getting delayed and in fact releasing it sooner.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Topher Topher , buddy, it's literally about updates for a broken game. That's the on-going support.

Then there's a DLC expansion.

Eh...I don't need links my man. I'm giving my opinion having sunk 100 hours into the game since version 2.0 was released.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Eh...I don't need links my man. I'm giving my opinion having sunk 100 hours into the game since version 2.0 was released.

Best Independent Game
Cocoon (Geometric Interactive/Annapurna Interactive)
Dave the Diver (MINTROCKET)
Dredge (Black Salt Games/Team 17)
Sea of Stars (Sabotage Studio)
Viewfinder (Sad Owl Studios/Thunderful Publishing)

This was an extremely tough vote for me. This was a great year for indies because I can think of other amazing games that just barely didn't make the cut.

Fredrik

Can we all agree that this event is held too early now?

Can’t have 4 out of 6 late year games and a november 17 cutoff date. I’ve literally played 2 games from that list. Can’t vote. 😕

Celcius

°Temp. member
It hit me how far Overwatch has fallen when it wasn't an option in the E-Sports game of the year category

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I looked at a few of those and strangely the one that I liked the most is Moonbase, and it was not in your propositions. Thanks for that by the way. Only a few months left before being able to play it myself.
Edit: the music is this one. But when I look at it alone I got something else. Can someone help me find the name?
What time?

Top Bottom