• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

randome

A good tracer is almost invincible. I played against clearly a smurf tracer and she destroyed us. She averaged almost 45 elims per 10 minutes lol (high plat rank).

Bogus

Gorgeous.

It was tasty. I couldn't believe they all flew into the tunnel together after the charge.

better to just fire strike and swing at first and not charge until they are about to stand up. you lose lots of damage potential by insta charging

Yea thanks, definitely used the fire strike too early. I underestimate how long the stun lasts, so I have a bad habit of charging right away if I see a guaranteed kill. Should go for the strike + swing + charge combo.

Shredderi

So, by extension, Tracer doesn't have a traditional hard counter?

Yeah, and she seriously needs one. Not for meta or any of that shit, but to make the game universally more likeable and tolerable for everyone. As it is right now, if the enemy team decides that they don't want Winston in the game, they can do that. Pick reaper and the enemy will switch off Winston. I want an equivalent for Tracer, someone who doesn't have to be good with this mystery character in order to shut down borderline godlike Tracers.

I fucking hate this mobility meta. Tracer cancer in every fucking match. How do you counter a good tracer? It feels like you need and overblown amount of pure skill on my (counter's) part to outplay a good tracer. We need a tracer counter ASAP who can demolish tracer with the same ease and consistency as Reaper can demolish Winston. Tracer needs a reliable shut down button/character.

Mobility meta is honestly the only time I've really enjoyed this game. When they inevitably replace it with some other boring meta (because more than eight viable characters at a time is a pipe dream at this point) I'll probably uninstall for good.

I was actually just complaining about map design the other day with my friends after a comp match.

The bulk of the map design is just a variation of the same thing. Fun fight zones that lead into really infuriating choke points that either stall the game until one team coordinates their ults better than the other or simply let the team that's winning win harder.

I've lately just been switching to widow for the choke portions of the match because getting 2 picks quickly within 5 seconds of each other is honestly more beneficial than 50% of what the other characters can do. 2 dead enemies either completely stops a push from happening, or opens us up to do a super strong potentially round winning push.
It's a shame that I can't ever pick widow unless i'm queued with almost a full group or SOMEONE on my team will throw a hissy fit guaranteed

Ayup. The map design is abysmal. The meta problem doesn't come from hero design, it comes mostly from the level design. Yet the devs seem completely against going back to the drawing board to fix existing maps. So 2/3 of the heroes are doomed to stay unused because of this stubbornness.

I was hoping it'd get better as it went on (just like TF2's launch maps were pretty trash), but the new maps (like three in a year lol) have pretty much the same design philosophy applied to them. Granted, they're slightly more open, but not by much.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So, by extension, Tracer doesn't have a traditional hard counter?

the closest things are mcree and hog and those are exclusively on a 10 and 8 second cooldown

sombra would be a good choice too but tracers ridiculous fire rate and reload speed makes it pretty easy to outrange her or interrupt her

pharah has a similar issue. high mobility heroes in this game have been too good since launch for people outside of the pro scene

LiK

the closest things are mcree and hog and those are exclusively on a 10 and 8 second cooldown

sombra would be a good choice too but tracers ridiculous fire rate and reload speed makes it pretty easy to outrange her or interrupt her

Junk trap plus mine is also very good against a Tracer who's not paying attention.

The truth is Tracer doesn't really need a hard counter because almost every high damage ability is a counter to her if it lands.

Probably half the cast of Overwatch can 1HKO Tracer (or 1 Ability KO if you don't consider McCree's Fan the Hammer a single hit).

Then you have other characters like Torb, Symm, Sombra, and Zen who can very much make a Tracer completely worthless if done right.

I dunno. I guess to me, Tracer has felt like the most balanced character in all of Overwatch since day 1.

Odd, I've only seen Tracer like twice in 25 games so far. I always feel like both 76 and McCree counter her pretty well, and I feel like at least 1 of those is required for every comp right now.

If you start popping off as Zen, you know there is a Tracer and/or Sombra in your immediate future, and it is gonna suuuuck.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
As stated, Tracer doesn't need a hard counter since almost every character can counter her.

Basically, she is good and going in and getting out, but that's it. He damage is subpar from range, but getting in close puts her in massive damage since a fart can kill her. Almost every DPS can one or two shot her. Soldier, Rep, Junk, Road. Any traps, hook, or hack and due to her low HP is instant death. Her range damage will be out healed easily. And she can not get caught close.

Only characters I would say she is great against would be Genji.

She's not bad against anyone, but there is no hard counter since everyone basically stands an equal shot of killing her.

Mr Git

Yeah, and she seriously needs one. Not for meta or any of that shit, but to make the game universally more likeable and tolerable for everyone. As it is right now, if the enemy team decides that they don't want Winston in the game, they can do that. Pick reaper and the enemy will switch off Winston. I want an equivalent for Tracer, someone who doesn't have to be good with this mystery character in order to shut down borderline godlike Tracers.

I don't know. I was a one trick Tracer for my first 6 months of the game and she's still a go-to. But I feel that any slip up, brainfart or bad reaction causes her death already. There's already a lot of characters that can kill her very quickly but I wonder if the best counter to a Tracer is the person playing Tracer. Everyone fucks up at some point.

Soo I was wondering what everyone's bottom 3 all modes playtimes are.

At third place I've got Winston at 14 minutes. Might rectify that.
At second place it's Reaper with 13 minutes.
But at first place with a whoppingly shite 5 minutes, it's Wanker 45

xCobalt

I think Hanzo fairs pretty well against Tracer to be honest.

Regardless of who you play though, it's important to get the timing right and know where Tracer will be after she recalls.

finalflame

The counter for Tracer is learning how to aim. At lower ELOs for people with terrible aim she might be hard to counter, but as you get into any reasonably skilled ELO range Tracers have to be exponentially more skilled to have any effectiveness.

Shes been basically untouched since the game released, she is one of the most balanced heroes in the game.

Frester

Maybe it's just the last couple days, but I've had some awful comp matches already in S6. Went from 2760 down to just above 2500 in the last ~week, mostly because of attack Bastions and Torbs. Played some matches with Deicide but don't think I've grouped with Lik or Owzers yet!

Edit: 2600, not 2500

You have 5 games, W/L/D to get back to the previous rank minimum.

Is it 5 games after you've already gone below your rank, or does it count the one that took you there? I had 3 losses in a row which put me below my rank, so I'm wondering if I have 2 or 3 games to get out. Not sure if I can do it anyway though.

Mei's annoying as hell for McCree in deathmatch because your areas of engagement overlap while survivability most definitely does not. Sneaks up and freezes you before you can turn to get a bead, icicle to the brain. Flash-Fan at point blank range, survived it and freezes you, icicle to the brain. Manage to get away and shoot her, wall goes up and she heals, start all over. Searching for a health pack after a scrape, get frozen while searching, icicle to the brain.

Not nearly as aggravating as dealing with the Symmetras and Junkrats, but still up there.

If you start popping off as Zen, you know there is a Tracer and/or Sombra in your immediate future, and it is gonna suuuuck.

I feel a shiver run down my spine everytime I'm playing Zen and hear the Sombra uncloaking sound, you know that she's gunning for the easy target.
With Tracer you have a chance of popping her due to the low health, something about Sombra though feels tougher to hit and the gun just keeps on going and going, you think you'll be spared on the last dredges of health by it reloading but it never reloads until you're dead.
And if you survive she'll be back from wherever the heck behind enemy lines her current translocator spot is.

Worst of all, your team are unaware of this horror story unfolding in the backlines.
Oh and her ult is like one big middle finger to Zen.

antitrop

I feel a shiver run down my spine everytime I'm playing Zen and hear the Sombra uncloaking sound, you know that she's gunning for the easy target.
With Tracer you have a chance of popping her due to the low health, something about Sombra though feels tougher to hit and the gun just keeps on going and going, you think you'll be spared on the last dredges of health by it reloading but it never reloads until you're dead.
And if you survive she'll be back from wherever the heck behind enemy lines her current translocator spot is.

Worst of all, your team are unaware of this horror story unfolding in the backlines.

... Unless you have Torb armor.

Seriously, I love Torb as Zen.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
also hey look at that doomfist hitbox nerf was completely unnecessary and they're already reverted it

its almost like they only show restraint some of the time with some of the heroes

They reverted it? because it's been leaving me glum on console, all they had to tweak was to make it not punch through phone booths/up ledges surely, I think a giant DOOM fist lunge that places you in the danger zone with limited options afterwards warranted a bit of width to the strike.

Especially in a world where Genji can deflect things not even hitting him.

... Unless you have Torb armor.

Seriously, I love Torb as Zen.

It's amazing how much Torb armor can ruin Sombra and Winston's damage output.
In general Torb is an asset as Zen, you may not be able to rely on people to watch your back but you can rely on machines!

Schlep

Just had my first run in with toxicity this season. A two stack who wasn't in chat the whole match joined team chat after losing to call me a "f'n retard" for putting up shield gen to keep my team alive on Hollywood. This was after they couldn't take the payload to the end despite 26 sound barriers on attack (was on fire almost the whole time, we stalled out about halfway). Then on defense I set up TP and all five of them used it and got wiped within 15 seconds.

Didn't affect me lol, just funny how people always want to blame the support/rest of their team and never themselves.

also hey look at that doomfist hitbox nerf was completely unnecessary and they're already reverted it

its almost like they only show restraint some of the time with some of the heroes

Maybe they shouldn't have reduced the hitbox THAT much, I've seen some videos and it's broken now in a different way. Seems like blizzard has some troubles when balancing things. It's probably not a easy job but holy shit it's like they always overdo things.

It's amazing how much Torb armor can ruin Sombra and Winston's damage output.
In general Torb is an asset as Zen, you may not be able to rely on people to watch your back but you can rely on machines!

A lot of characters Torb pairs best with are the characters he hates/doesn't vibe with lmao (Zen, Orisa, Symmetra..)

the funny ones are the ones that cloak near you and you saw the direction she went so you right click in the general area and headshot her lol.

Blues1990

That's a good point, and I love my Torbs, but I see them so infrequently on Attack, when I need that armor most.

From my experience, so long as the team works with the Torbjorn player (and said player knows how to play the class), he can be pretty viable on Attack.

New Clip Show! Sometimes I play Mercy.

https://vimeo.com/233067479

And sometimes I go full Battle Mercy and do really shitty rezzes.

As someone who doesn't know how to properly use Mercy, those are some nice plays. Bonus points for waving at your victims when you kill them.

Today so far with Zen

1-0. Would have joined the group after that match but i'm soloQ.

they had a zarya/doomfist/tracer. you think they would have done a grav strike or bomb. but it never happened. oh well. sucks for them lol.

my brain is so off. like i'm saying left but i mean right. RIP callout. it must be because im playing on a controller. i have no problems on kb/m LOL

From my experience, so long as the team works with the Torbjorn player (and said player knows how to play the class), he can be pretty viable on Attack.

As someone who doesn't know how to properly use Mercy, those are some nice plays. Bonus points for waving at your victims when you kill them.

I always try to pocket my Torbs on Attack, but my win-rate with them is pretty abysmal if they stay Torb the whole match (because we get rolled on Attack too often- "we already lost" mentality, I guess).
So I don't blame them for switching off for Attack, but I do miss that armor.

New Clip Show! Sometimes I play Mercy.

https://vimeo.com/233067479

And sometimes I go full Battle Mercy and do really shitty rezzes.

You totally died to that Roadhog (just after the cut at 1:40-ish), right?

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I love Mercy's Summer Games outfit from this year. The two SG skins are probably my favorites for her.

Nice work! I will never show this to my Battle Mercy-wannabe daughter, but I enjoyed it.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I'm pretty sure I just hate this game.

Mr Git

I've just played my last ever solo queue comp game. Fuck doing that ever again. Not even sure I've won a game yet this season. Just a repetitive lesson in sheer frustration. I'd rather actually anything.

Chance

Thank you!

1.png

You totally died to that Roadhog (just after the cut at 1:40-ish), right?

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I love Mercy's Summer Games outfit from this year. The two SG skins are probably my favorites for her.

Nice work! I will never show this to my Battle Mercy-wannabe daughter, but I enjoyed it.

I'll be honest, I do think Winged Victory is her best legendary, but I still think her base skin is actually her coolest looking skin >.<

As to the Roadhog, I was just gonna' say "yes I did!" 'cause I thought 1:40ish was when I went off the jumppad and got the McCree and Tracer (1:28 ish and yes he did, he was behind me the whole time!), but the one at 1:36... well, I couldn't remember so I checked and...

The short version is yes, but there's a long version. That vid includes the McCree/Tracer double just before he gets me from behind, the video's cuts up to the Sombra pick in front of the Hog at 1:36, and what follows.

It's the same Sombra I have an awkward extended duel with later. We had something special.

Thank you!

1.png

I'll be honest, I do think Winged Victory is her best legendary, but I still think her base skin is actually her coolest looking skin >.<

As to the Roadhog, I was just gonna' say "yes I did!" 'cause I thought 1:40ish was when I went off the jumppad and got the McCree and Tracer (1:28 ish and yes he did, he was behind me the whole time!), but the one at 1:36... well, I couldn't remember so I checked and...

The short version is yes, but there's a long version. That vid includes the McCree/Tracer double just before he gets me from behind, the video's cuts up to the Sombra pick in front of the Hog at 1:36, and what follows.

It's the same Sombra I have an awkward extended duel with later. We had something special.

I cannot believe you survived that. I saw 'Hog on the stairs as you killed Sombra, and thought for sure you were dog-meat. Good evasion of that hook.

Top Bottom