• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
First match night I had a bunch of clowns that started arguing right when things went bad. We lost that 3-0. The second you start to fight your chances of winning diminish. Fortunately after that my games were much better. I did have a heart breaking loss because of sudden death (sudden death is fucking stupid). Oh well, pretty close to 55 now.

that's a lot of words and I hear you, but in the end they just amount to excuses that will slow your own improvement. If you're in the 35-40 range and are having a hard time improving, there are a lot of things you need to get better at. If there's one thing I know after playing MOBAS competitively for 5 years, it's that most people aren't as good as they think they are. You're not as good as you think you are either. You're not a 60 rank player trapped in the stupid penitentiary of 30 rank players and unable to escape or convince the warden to let you out for good behavior. You're a 30-something player that will get better over time if (s)he puts the work in to get good.

You have quitters, bitchers and underperformers at every level of play. People have bad days. People have off games. People sometimes play something to fit the comp that they aren't individually strong at and struggle. I had to carry an offensive Torbjorn on Hanamura, but I did carry his ass and stayed positive while the rest of the team flamed him before the match even began. Look for ways to improve the alkaline levels on your teams via being positive in voice chat and encouraging others to do the same. Spend your time looking at what YOU can do to carry more than your own body weight on your team. It'll be far more productive than tilting like all the other people around you. As has been said by one wiser than myself:

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;

Keep your eyes on the prize and man up. Moonmoon (the popular streamer that plays with popular streamer Seagull a lot) lost 9 ranks today and he didn't blame anyone along the way. Learn the lesson.

Also this is an excellent post.

Danj

Rank 50 shitters: "Don't pick torb!"
*lose first round of Volskaya defense"
*second round someone picks torb and we run down the clock*
*almost lose the flip to a torb as well*

I wish these bads would stop thinking that the pro meta actually affects games at their level.

I don't understand, why would you not want to have a torb on the team for defense of Volskaya?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't understand, why would you not want to have a torb on the team for defense of Volskaya?

People think they're playing on C9 and Envyus, that's why.

Blizzard

Banned
I tried 3 solo queue games tonight to see if it was as horrible as one might expect. Decent set of games, gained a net level.

1. Balanced game I think? We won, but we had to fight hard for the point.
2. Lost, had a lagger and a constantly disconnecting person. I got 4 gold medals and kept overtime going for a while, but it wasn't enough.
3. Won, had good team coordination and a good game with Pharah for me. Very unusually, had a good Tracer too with like 48 KOTH kills (they said they lost levels because of bad internet). Won 3-0.

You most likely do. He's saying his teammates were influenced by pros that often don't choose Torb because a well-organized team of really good players will quickly take out his turret/render Torb useless.

LordAmused

17% win rate as Mercy in competitive.

I know I'm not the best Mercy around but these teammates, seriously.

I understand your pain, brother (Sister Mercy?).
Love how when things start to get ugly, everybody would rather attack or defend in 6 waves of one than one wave of 6 and then just run to die. Then support gets blasted. "I knew we should have had a Lucio or blabla." I'm getting salty just thinking about it.
It's one hell of a jest.
Still love the game though.

Anybody needs a Mercy for some early morning Competitive? NA PC.

duckroll

How to tell the team you're playing against is really bad: You solo a Reaper as Lucio and win.

How to tell the team you're playing against is really bad II : You solo a Pharah as Symmetra and win.

How to tell the team you're playing against is really bad III: You're playing a KotH map with a Widowmaker and a Torb on your team, against tanks and attackers, and you win.

How to tell the team you're playing against is really bad IV: You can ride on top of the payload in Hollywood from the final checkpoint all the way to victory without being contested except for one Genji who decides to run up to a Winston and Dva sitting on the payload.

mxgt

Banned
Man, the quality of quick play has declined rapidly since comp was brought in.

People really don't give a single fuck any more. I guess it was expected.

finalflame

I understand your pain, brother (Sister Mercy?).
Love how when things start to get ugly, everybody would rather attack or defend in 6 waves of one than one wave of 6 and then just run to die. Then support gets blasted. "I knew we should have had a Lucio or blabla." I'm getting salty just thinking about it.
It's one hell of a jest.
Still love the game though.

Anybody needs a Mercy for some early morning Competitive? NA PC.

Still trying to play? I'm on right now -- na PC. darkatnight#1407

ViviOggi

>2 Reapers in every game
buff McCree

RIP finally ran into a troll, Symmetra on Dorado defense... and then offense. Didn't contribute at all, don't think I heard an ult callout from her more than once the entire match, didn't respond to us in chat or on mic, so sad.

Ah well still sitting around the low 60s, hopefully once we get a group we can push to mid/high 60s, but it'll be a tough climb, its a decent skill group. Ran into a disgusting widow the other night, looks like pre-nerf, very spooky.

One of these days I'll get some gfy's uploaded... Got stuff sitting in there from LAUNCH DAY... Intel QuickSync is the shit though, I can finally RECORD THINGS without KILLING MY CPU!

jerd

It really feels like overtime on an early point should cut into the attacking team's remaining time. Just feels kinda bad getting a good hold and dancing around the first point in overtime forever and having nothing to show for it if they eventually take the point

Would be a pretty significant advantage to defenders though so i guess i can see why it doesn't work that way

Rank 50 shitters: "Don't pick torb!"
*lose first round of Volskaya defense"
*second round someone picks torb and we run down the clock*
*almost lose the flip to a torb as well*

I wish these bads would stop thinking that the pro meta actually affects games at their level.

People think they're playing on C9 and Envyus, that's why.

Volskaya is banned in pro tournaments too, so it makes even less sense, lol.

EDIT: Also, when playing outside tournaments, pro players themselves sometimes go with Torbjörn. I just saw Seagull wreck with Torbjörn on CP.

meshwork

so you're saying you didn't really climb, that's the thing... Next week you will still be hovering around those levels more likely that not.

I know this is an extreme idea, but maybe you're not supposed to climb any ranks? Maybe your current rank is exactly where you belong? Sometimes someone on your team brings you down, but it's statistically just as likely that someone is bringing the enemy team down. The only variable in that equation is how good you are. If you're not gaining ranks, maybe that's where you belong?

There are so many people in this thread complaining about playing in bad teams and not gaining ranks who don't even consider the fact that the rank distribution for almost everyone right now seems to be between 30 and 70 because people haven't played enough to gain/lose more ranks. With that in mind, most people are supposed to be around 50 rank. That's what Master Overwatch shows as well: the ranks have a gaussian distribution with 50 being the most common rank. I know everyone thinks they are good at this game, but most people will stay between 40 and 60 no matter what. Most people are not supposed to climb any higher (disregarding over a longer period of time as they improve obviously).

Zemm

>2 Reapers in every game
buff McCree

Need the Reapers for all the Zarya's that have infested the games. At least one, sometimes two in every match, tis crazy.

This game is basically Hearthstone now. Someone or some team does something on a stream, the plebs try to copy them. Be it useless Hanzo's trying to play like Seagull or some double zarya, double lucio, double reaper type shit because they saw Cloud9 use that setup in a tournament.

DrArchon

It's KotH on Ilios, so our need team really needs Torb and Hanzo. Doesn't matter if we've lost the last 2 rounds. Don't bother trying to switch when they have Tracer and Pharah and Reinhardt. Nope. Stick with the plan.

Competitive mode makes me want to tear my eyeballs out.

finalflame

It's KotH on Ilios, so our need team really needs Torb and Hanzo. Doesn't matter if we've lost the last 2 rounds. Don't bother trying to switch when they have Tracer and Pharah and Reinhardt. Nope. Stick with the plan.

Competitive mode makes me want to tear my eyeballs out.

Amen. I am so tired of telling people we pretty much never need Torb or Hanzo. People don't care. It's like they're fucking deaf. What irritates me the most is NOT losing, it's KNOWING we're going to lose because people aren't even remotely trying with their hero picks and refuse to budge.

Ayumi

that's a lot of words and I hear you, but in the end they just amount to excuses that will slow your own improvement. If you're in the 35-40 range and are having a hard time improving, there are a lot of things you need to get better at. If there's one thing I know after playing MOBAS competitively for 5 years, it's that most people aren't as good as they think they are. You're not as good as you think you are either. You're not a 60 rank player trapped in the stupid penitentiary of 30 rank players and unable to escape or convince the warden to let you out for good behavior. You're a 30-something player that will get better over time if (s)he puts the work in to get good.

You have quitters, bitchers and underperformers at every level of play. People have bad days. People have off games. People sometimes play something to fit the comp that they aren't individually strong at and struggle. I had to carry an offensive Torbjorn on Hanamura, but I did carry his ass and stayed positive while the rest of the team flamed him before the match even began. Look for ways to improve the alkaline levels on your teams via being positive in voice chat and encouraging others to do the same. Spend your time looking at what YOU can do to carry more than your own body weight on your team. It'll be far more productive than tilting like all the other people around you. As has been said by one wiser than myself:

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;

Keep your eyes on the prize and man up. Moonmoon (the popular streamer that plays with popular streamer Seagull a lot) lost 9 ranks today and he didn't blame anyone along the way. Learn the lesson.
Thank you for posting this. It's actually very motivating, and helpful. I'm not an angry rageplayer, and I don't fight with those who are. I'm just a casual player who play for fun, but sometimes I punish myself and am too hard on myself when we lose, or do badly.

duckroll

Amen. I am so tired of telling people we pretty much never need Torb or Hanzo. People don't care. It's like they're fucking deaf. What irritates me the most is NOT losing, it's KNOWING we're going to lose because people aren't even remotely trying with their hero picks and refuse to budge.

Torb, Hanzo, Widowmaker. Killer combo on KotH. Ha...ha...ha.

Pooya

I know this is an extreme idea, but maybe you're not supposed to climb any ranks? Maybe your current rank is exactly where you belong? Sometimes someone on your team brings you down, but it's statistically just as likely that someone is bringing the enemy team down. The only variable in that equation is how good you are. If you're not gaining ranks, maybe that's where you belong?

There are so many people in this thread complaining about playing in bad teams and not gaining ranks who don't even consider the fact that the rank distribution for almost everyone right now seems to be between 30 and 70 because people haven't played enough to gain/lose more ranks. With that in mind, most people are supposed to be around 50 rank. That's what Master Overwatch shows as well: the ranks have a gaussian distribution with 50 being the most common rank. I know everyone thinks they are good at this game, but most people will stay between 40 and 60 no matter what. Most people are not supposed to climb any higher (disregarding over a longer period of time as they improve obviously).

That's not extreme, if the ranking is supposed to indicate skill, your skill doesn't change too much in like a week or month so you shouldn't really level up or down too much from the point you start. It's true.

The system works well for example in case of surefour, he's the highest ranked player in the game right now, he started a brand new account, played his placements, went 8-2, ended up at 78. Almost same rank he got on his main playing with c9 stack. System is working properly here recognizing the best player, those statistical noise and variance won't affect him very much as his inputs put him at the far end of the bell curve either way.

Now as you say, most players are in 40-60 range, but there is still a huge difference in basic game understanding and general awareness and macro. These people might not be that far off in general micro and shooting hence dropping in same ranks but in this game, picks and team composition counts for a lot as there are hard counters for about anything or how you coordinate your ult for example, so in any level if this guy that picks some hero that's readily countered by the enemy team for example, it doesn't matter too much how good his aim is, his aim is as good as the other team's dps probably since the ranking he got playing his dps, or might lack awareness of hero synergies and waste his ults again and again, good ults are game winning in this game and it's all about timing. One weak link can drag every one down and add to that, there are many other outside game and outside of your control issues that can lose you ranks now. So I'm not really sure if the system is right for the busy middle to give a good experience overall, maybe more things should be considered. I don't know, what I know is that it feels awful playing with people that are easily blown up by a bastion again and again instead of trying to find a solution. It feels they are times too generous with the ranks they've assigned or too harsh.

Overall, I think the system works very well on high end of the curve, but like how bad you have be to get to 20 or something? It appears that almost no one is getting there, maybe they need to be more diverse here, maybe a normal distribution doesn't represent that good of a gaming experience, not everything is statistics and they have to change the formula somewhat in the middle of the curve that they've lumped most players in, I don't know what's the solution but in other games like starcraft2, the ranking curve is somewhat skewed, most are not ranked in the middle for example. in the end it's a game and you want people to feel good too by playing and progressing, not everything has to be hard reality that you suck and stuck at 48 forever.

So I hate competitive(PS4).

First two games were a steamroll which were then followed by four straight losing games of Hanzo/Widowmaker insta-lock no change players who did fuck all while the rest of us struggled.

Losing streak was only broken by the fact in the 7th game nearly half the other team left allowing us an easy win.

DrArchon

Jesus Christ. I can't stop losing. Just lost 5 matchs in a row and went down like 2 ranks. There are a lot of just god-awful players in this game. I know I'm pretty bad, but at least I can get more than 1 kill with a Junkrat ult. At least I know how to use Mei's alt fire to kill a frozen target. At least I know which characters not to pick in which modes. At least I know that Zarya can shield allies.

Fuck me this game just wants me to lose. I don't get it. I get paired with the dumbest motherfuckers in the universe apparently.

Zemm

What?! Doesn't sudden death payload favour the defense team massively?

Nope since you only need the first point, can't remember what the stats were but it was massively attack favoured and judging from all the games I've played that's still true.

Auctopus

Guessing it's like Hearthstone where your season high is what counts at the end of the season?

Nope since you only need the first point, can't remember what the stats were but it was massively attack favoured and judging from all the games I've played that's still true.

Ah okay, that seems a little fairer. Still quite a tight time limit.

So having just started playing competitive on ps4 last night, looking at my friend's list I noticed that their levels no longer have a grey/silver color to them but every one is a bronze color.

Does this indicate their rank? Or is it the color of "the season"?

I hope that's clear, I've been awake too long.

Went 5-5 in placement, 42 rank.

Hmm, yea not playing competitive. that side of the ranking will be a shit show with people who are Widowmakers who get blown up by a Bastion in a corner, Hanzo who never leave their perch and Reinharts that charge at anything near them.

konjak

It feels like somewhat of a worry that introducing ranked introduced more resentment rather than more fun gaming. But it may just be gaming communities that give me that impression. Personally though, the game feels different and less carefree (and I don't mean I wanna see bad play when I say that).

Veelk

Banned
How can it possibly be that I get two Widowmaker legendary skins and both of them are those fugly tutu outfit and not the awesome royal looking ones

I would happily trade those in for coins if I could. :/

Question about Overwatch running on low end laptop:
I plan to buy this game but my fear is that it may not run well (60fps stable) on my laptop (core i5-4200U 1.60GHz, RAM 6GB, Geforce GT 750M). Anyone here playing this on low end laptop can confirm this.

Hey man, when I play Hanzo I still try to play on the objective.
That maybe true but you're overshadowed by a sea of Hanzos that are two miles back sniping while never bother to even touch the point or not getting anywhere near the point/payload during overtime.

I see a Hanzo/Widow and automatically assume a loss for my team.

Rad-

First round the enemy steamrolls us. Second round I pretty much dominate the enemy team by myself with Zarya and we win. 41-4 with 4 gold medals and shit. Then sudden death time comes and I feel hype as fuck as we still have a chance... We get attack and 2 of my allies choose Toblerone. Yep I'm not kidding, the fucking turret guy. I'm shouting please change to something else. Nope. They didn't change. Not even one of them. I guess you can guess the outcome. Bye rank.

I don't understand what it is about Hanzo that attracts so many worthless team players.

I'm in the 50s and have played a good amount of Hanzo. But I'm pretty good with Hanzo. Just gotta be useful. Standing way in the fucking back isn't the best way to play Hanzo. Gotta use your ability to create just enough space vertically and hit your arrows. But I played TF2 for almost a decade and the bow & arrow variant of Sniper for quite a bit. Maybe that's why I usually float around 40-50% arrow accuracy and lead the team in damage.

edit: yea, 8-3 averaging 22 elims with Hanzo. I'mma keep right on picking him when the moment calls for it.

ymmv.

ramyeon

Anyone noticing way more frame rate stutters on PS4 Post patch? Especially on the character select screen and the Hero Gallery. Performance seems to have gotten slightly worse?

Man, the quality of quick play has declined rapidly since comp was brought in.

People really don't give a single fuck any more. I guess it was expected.
I assume comp will be the only place to get any decent games now, since most of the people with a brain will be there.
I don't understand what it is about Hanzo that attracts so many worthless team players.
Seagull did this to us.

I really enjoy watching him play, but I wish all the twelve year olds would stop trying to copy him...
Who is this seagull guy? Just a famous overwatch player, oor does he play other games aswell?
Seagull was a good HL2:DM and TF2 player, but most people here probably got their introduction to him because of Overwatch.

You know, fine, I get that they don't want to encourage teams to force their weakest links out.

But I don't understand how they thought their leaving penalties were remotely fair to the people left behind.

Get left by some jackass but still pull of an epic 4/5 v 6 matchup and win? Still penalized in level gain. On the other side, play so well that you force another team to ragequit? Still penalized in level gain. The losing team shouldn't be able to penalize you out of spite.

Some bullshit man.

Finished my placements matches, ranked lvl 52, we won 7 matches lost 3, I found myself playing the characters needed more than the ones I like to play.
I really don't care for golden weapons and the other rank rewards are a given once you finish your placement matches, it looks like quality of matches don't really improve in ranked mode either by reading the posts here.
So maybe I going back to quick matches, were I still can get stuck with shitty players but with no serious consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom