• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
and remember that "a game" (as long as people don't leave and fuck it up) consists of one team on attack, THEN that team on defense.

what sucks about pub games in Overwatch is getting stuck on a shit team, and leaving.. it's frustrating, yeah. But a big part of Quick Play (and presumably competitive) is staying in the same game. It should go:

Game 1: Map A, Team A = attack, Team B = defend
Game 2: Map A, Team A = defend, Team B = attack
shuffle players to new Team A and B
Game 3: Control Map B
shuffle players to new Team A and B
Game 4: Map C, New Team A = attack, New Team B = defend
Game 5: Map C, New Team A = defend, New Team B = attack

or at least something close to that...

A game on quick queue is one round attack or defence and it's Blizzard's design that all maps should have approx 50% chance of winning either way.

But when you get to comp their rules are that you should play a map both ways and a win either way is one point. The problem here is that comp players believe that the 2 capture point bases should almost always end up in a victory for the attacker so playing them is a waste of time when it comes to finding a winner.

The idea of stopwatch matches comes in and roughly says that if both complete the attack then the fastest team wins. Blizzard don't support this rule in any way in game design and would not allow it in official tournaments.

There's been a lot of discussion recently about the console controls for this game being trash. The link below offers a good review.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4lu9re/for_ps4_players_of_overwatch_can_we_please_talk/

I'm inclined to agree, anyone here have any thoughts on this? For me, the game's control options are great, but the feel of moving the analogue stick around just doesn't quite feel natural. Call of Duty, Destiny, Rainbow Six Siege, Halo, these games all feel better to control.

Also, the aim assist on PS4 really irritates me. It doesn't feel like it's helpful, as it never feels like slow across my target in any way when sweeping the cursor (as you do in Call of Duty, etc) however it is significant enough to drag my aim off my target when aiming at turrets or stationary targets like snipers. It's extremely irritating, and I suppose you can turn it off but then you place yourself at a disadvantage in certain scenarios, I'm sure.

They really need a rework in my opinion, both the aim assist and analogue responsiveness (specifically in regards to deadzones).

I agree it doesn't feel good on console.. I couldn't believe how bad I was at sniping compared to destiny

I almost want to buy a pc just for this game lol

Ardenyal

i don't think anyone outside of blizzard can speak to the intricacies of their matchmaking algorithm. you're going to have some bad games but that's an unavoidable reality, and "forced 50%" will always be a stupid myth.

Obviously a good matchmaking system would create matches that are close and they would end up being close to 50%. The problem with OW matchmaking is how players perceive the matches they win or lose. They rarely feel close matches with equally skilled players. Most of the time one team gets steamrolled and it diminishes the feeling of accomplishment of wins and increases frustration when losing as there isn't much one player can contribute when matched with bad team mates.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Would it break Mercy too much to put her gun on L2/LT on consoles? I hate that I have to take my thumb off the left analog stick, and stop moving, to press right on the d-pad when I need to switch to it. I mean, when you're in a situation with Mercy where you need the gun, most of the time the last thing you want to do is stop moving.

(Note that I'm just assuming that this isn't a problem on PC, but I don't actually know the PC controls, so I could be wrong.)

Blizzard needs to add a mechanic to help defenders after the first point is taken, just to stop the steamroll. I think this means something like instant respawn time for 3-5 seconds for defense right after point A is taken. That might give defenders in pubs a bigger shot for avoided losing on the spot.

That mechanic is the payload or more capture points but I guess they could just put unlocking the second capture point on a timer.

Ardenyal

Would it break Mercy too much to put her gun on L2/LT on consoles? I hate that I have to take my thumb off the left analog stick, and stop moving, to press right on the d-pad when I need to switch to it. I mean, when you're in a situation with Mercy where you need the gun, most of the time the last thing you want to do is stop moving.

(Note that I'm just assuming that this isn't a problem on PC, but I don't actually know the PC controls, so I could be wrong.)

Switch weapon change to triangle and ult to dpad? L2 is hover for mercy.

Not a problem on PC. Just mousewheel up/down to weapon change between staff/gun

aeolist

Banned
Obviously a good matchmaking system would create matches that are close and they would end up being close to 50%. The problem with OW matchmaking is how players perceive the matches they win or lose. They rarely feel close matches with equally skilled players. Most of the time one team gets steamrolled and it diminishes the feeling of accomplishment of wins and increases frustration when losing as there isn't much one player can contribute when matched with bad team mates.

that's subjective and anecdotal, i personally feel like i get more close games than stomps. also my percentage of stompy games is roughly in line with other online shooters i play.

hydruxo

who's a fun support to play as?

so far i got the hang of at least one character in every class but support

Lucio is a lot of fun. Wallriding, switching between healing & movement buff when you want, passive heals so you can still do damage and heal simultaneously. He's really the only support I use.

Dunlop

Branching into DPS toons and loving Genji.

But back when I was bellyaching about Bastion, Genji was often thrown out as a counter..is this the case?

I've jumped a foot infront of a Bastion going full auto and deflected and the end result was his bar being mostly full (pretty sure there was even still armor) and me a blood puddle

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

They are all pretty fun but symmetra is probably the most niche one and also the one that takes the most getting used to.

I really like lucio for generally any match up because playing him is fast, fun and relaxing.

Playing mercy is an exercise is learning how to control your rage at useless teammates and zenyatta is kind of an offensive character that can heal friends.

eek5

But back when I was bellyaching about Bastion, Genji was often thrown out as a counter..is this the case?

I've jumped a foot infront of a Bastion going full auto and deflected and the end result was his bar being mostly full (pretty sure there was even still armor) and me a blood puddle

Are you aiming your deflect at him?

That mechanic is the payload or more capture points but I guess they could just put unlocking the second capture point on a timer.

I considered that as well, but I think if they get on the point the same as they are right now, it's just a matter of camping the spawn exits and it would just lead to the same result anyway. I think the defense team needs to be on the point before the charge to even have a chance, at least in pub games.

Good Mercy play is deceptively difficult. Knowing when to dive, when to hold back, when to heal and when to shoot and when to damage buff... so much fun. I've put 15 hours in as Mercy and I'm still learning and getting better.

Dunlop

Are you aiming your deflect at him?
Jumped down from a rooftop and was square on him

Just wondering if that should have killed him and I was in a game with lag or something or if would never be the case so I do not try that tactic again

redhot_

There's been a lot of discussion recently about the console controls for this game being trash. The link below offers a good review.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4lu9re/for_ps4_players_of_overwatch_can_we_please_talk/

I'm inclined to agree, anyone here have any thoughts on this? For me, the game's control options are great, but the feel of moving the analogue stick around just doesn't quite feel natural. Call of Duty, Destiny, Rainbow Six Siege, Halo, these games all feel better to control.

Also, the aim assist on PS4 really irritates me. It doesn't feel like it's helpful, as it never feels like slow across my target in any way when sweeping the cursor (as you do in Call of Duty, etc) however it is significant enough to drag my aim off my target when aiming at turrets or stationary targets like snipers. It's extremely irritating, and I suppose you can turn it off but then you place yourself at a disadvantage in certain scenarios, I'm sure.

They really need a rework in my opinion, both the aim assist and analogue responsiveness (specifically in regards to deadzones).

The less aim assist the better imo. Practice and get better or use the variety of heros that have splash damage, shotguns or auto targeting weapons till you feel comfortable.

Adjusting your X and Y sensitivity to something slower might help also.

aeolist

Banned
haha they're always talking on the podcast about how hard it is to play games and talk for quicklooks but the giantbomb guys just kinda suck anyway

abundant

haha they're always talking on the podcast about how hard it is to play games and talk for quicklooks but the giantbomb guys just kinda suck anyway

I had to stop watching, they were so bad. Last thing I saw, while playing on Lijiang Tower, was Brad as a Bastion camping out along with a Reinhardt and a Mercy (who wasn't boosting damage BTW) while the other team were at 80%.

I considered that as well, but I think if they get on the point the same as they are right now, it's just a matter of camping the spawn exits and it would just lead to the same result anyway. I think the defense team needs to be on the point before the charge to even have a chance, at least in pub games.

I think you are right but backdoor protection and spawn protection are two separate issues. The only solid answer to both is to have a hard wall between the two points that falls to start the second half.

cHinzo

Playing tanks is shit if you are the only one pushing the payload. Great to have 5 people trying to flank the enemy team lol.

R0ckman

You would think after a while people would understand that its better to sacrifice yourself for overtime so the group can arrive. Starting to hate payload.

Ardenyal

J3JLSVU.gif

Rotating the stick in a circle and the aim draws almost a square shape on the wall. The control mapping for aim is incredibly bad with the input lag and bad diagonals.

Brandwin

Any controller changes people have made on console or most of you rolling default?

Still messing with sensitivity. I am at 50 horizontal and 25 vertical right now.

R0ckman

Actually had someone nicely plead with our team to get on the payload, towards the end of the match he finally snapped and was like "GET ON THE ****ING PAYLOAD AND STAY ON IT!"

Hahaha my sentiments exactly.

Any controller changes people have made on console or most of you rolling default?

Still messing with sensitivity. I am at 50 horizontal and 25 vertical right now.

I've lowered it for zarya and mcree

I find her beam and fan the hammer unwieldy at high sensitivity

for tracer I increased it but I don't play her much

I should increase for Winston since it doesn't require aiming now I think about it

T.O.P

Banned
Can't even play two matches that I get dced, my connection got fucked up by a storm and haven't be able to play decently for 4 days now

I'm sad :(

Grisby

Default (always leave stuff on default actually), but I admit that the controls have been getting to me a bit.

It's not as tight as something like Halo 5 or any other recent shooter. It's good enough, and I'm not missing out on kills or anything, but I am starting to notice it creep up more.

LiK

Default (always leave stuff on default actually), but I admit that the controls have been getting to me a bit.

It's not as tight as something like Halo 5 or any other recent shooter. It's good enough, and I'm not missing out on kills or anything, but I am starting to notice it creep up more.
There's an annoying dead zone they need to fix. The aiming could be better.

Animator

Playing tanks is shit if you are the only one pushing the payload. Great to have 5 people trying to flank the enemy team lol.

Yea we stopped playing with people who do that. Nothing is more rage inducing in this game than a teammate that refuses to switch characters or doesn't contest the point in overtime because "they might die".

Actually had someone nicely plead with our team to get on the payload, towards the end of the match he finally snapped and was like "GET ON THE ****ING PAYLOAD AND STAY ON IT!"

Hahaha my sentiments exactly.
I turn my mic off with pubs because I can't contain myself otherwise lol

Lucio's probably the most "fun" but all four supports have their own strengths and weaknesses. I like all four but play with Symmetra the most because I love hiding turrets everywhere.

scoobs

Lucio's probably the most "fun" but all four supports have their own strengths and weaknesses. I like all four but play with Symmetra the most because I love hiding turrets everywhere.

I'd say Mercy is the most fun, flying around all over the place is a good time

Symbiotx

I don't think the console controlling is bad, I'm surprised that other people are unhappy with it.

I did re-map some buttons to make things more comfortable for me, but I think it feels good to control.

Things I changed:
R3 to jump
X to next weapon

I don't think the console controlling is bad, I'm surprised that other people are unhappy with it.

I did re-map some buttons to make things more comfortable for me, but I think it feels good to control.

Things I changed:
R3 to jump
X to next weapon
Changing sensitivity makes a big difference with some heroes as well.

Nimby

Banned

Genji is a pretty good counter. Sometimes a Bastion is wise and stops shooting when you deflect, but even then you can floor him easy if he's turreting someone else. He's also good against Torbjorn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom