• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT6| Boop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

The problem is same range but way higher RoF means she can melt big targets even from range. Doesn't really make sense.

She also has a larger mag than S76.

That wont happen. Large bullet spread and weapon reaching that large spread fast makes it next to impossible melt targets from long range. You can burst fire, but what is the point most of the time?

eek5

Games just become shit shows at low 2000s in comp.

2100-2200 area is really bad too. I think I only dipped under 2100 for a little bit. It's brutal down there. You really get coin flip teammates that have no idea what they are doing. Some games are stomps other games you can't even get out of spawn. Pretty frustrating for sure.

That wont happen. Large bullet spread and weapon reaching that large spread fast makes it next to impossible melt targets from long range. You can burst fire, but what is the point most of the time?

Just going based on the gameplay I saw. She was destroying rein's shield/rein and melting winston who is supposed to somewhat counter her at mid range.

No limit on hacked health packs, and they stay hacked for a minute. Hack takes a few seconds to channel and has a 12s cooldown, though.

Somehow this part just went past me. 1 minute seems nice, not as annoying as I was making it to be.

Range is similar, but spread on Sombra's SMG is huge. Optimal range is quite similar to Tracer, tad longer.

That's good. With her abilities, it really doesn't make much sense to fight at long range.

Can you imagine some of the current characters being released now?

Introducing McCree!
-Can Roll
-Can Stun

Say hello to Bastion!
-Has turret mode
-Can self heal

Sombra
-Hack opponents, so they can't use abilities, able to see ultimate charge on hacked enemies
-Hack health kits, unusable by enemies, recharge three times faster for teammates
-Go invisible
-Move very fast while invisible
-Can teleport in and out of battle
-See's all enemies below 50% health through walls, also sees if these enemies have ult.

Ana had a ton of utility as well. I think spending so much time on just one character makes them fall in love with them a bit too much.
"Damn, that sounds awesome, let's find a way to fit it into her kit"

Sombra would be perfectly fine without the invisibility, or if she could only hack health packs, OR enemies, or hell, both of those changes.

I can't fucking wait to use her, and she seems like an insane amount of fun. I'm also extremely confident that she would completely break the game in her current state.

Tovarisc

Just going based on the gameplay I saw. She was destroying rein's shield/rein and melting winston who is supposed to somewhat counter her at mid range.

Winston is mid-range hero? Then short range in OW is like from 0m to 3m :D How I took it when dev talked about Winston being good against Sombra was that he can break cloak easily with somewhat AoE lightning gun.

ramyeon

2100-2200 area is really bad too. I think I only dipped under 2100 for a little bit. It's brutal down there. You really get coin flip teammates that have no idea what they are doing. Some games are stomps other games you can't even get out of spawn. Pretty frustrating for sure.
Yeah I'm in that zone right now. It's really hard to climb out of. You can have one good game but it'll be followed by 4 horrible ones where it seems like everyone is playing for the first time.

I can't believe I have to ask for healers and tanks still at this point.

Doesn't help that only 1 in every 10 people communicates.

Moonkeis

I feel like it'a deja vu everytime a match starts:

"2-2-2?"
"1 more healer, why are you on Widow?"

and then of course when the match starts, if we are losing

"Why do I have 3 golds?"
"Player B, didn't switch, it's your fault!"

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah I'm in that zone right now. It's really hard to climb out of. You can have one good game but it'll be followed by 4 horrible ones where it seems like everyone is playing for the first time.

I can't believe I have to ask for healers and tanks still at this point.

Doesn't help that only 1 in every 10 people communicates.
Play Zarya hardcore for next 7 days and solocarry
No I mean from mid-range sombra was destroying winston even before he could close the gap.
Agreed.
Winston can break her Stealth but she doesn't need stealth and will always have a grenade up on a healthkit out of line of sight.
She does Solder levels of damage with a larger magazine, Winston is ult fodder with his hitbox and headshot hitbox ROFL

People thinking of how to counter her invis are missing the point.

eek5

Winston is mid-range hero? Then short range in OW is like from 0m to 3m :D How I took it when dev talked about Winston being good against Sombra was that he can break cloak easily with somewhat AoE lightning gun.

No I mean from mid-range sombra was destroying winston even before he could close the gap. It's the whole mccree thing all over again. Is her role supposed to be to melt tanks because it looks like she can out-dps reaper against tanks right now from further out.

exYle

Introducing McCree!
-Can Roll
-Can Stun

Say hello to Bastion!
-Has turret mode
-Can self heal

Sombra
-Hack opponents, so they can't use abilities, able to see ultimate charge on hacked enemies
-Hack health kits, unusable by enemies, recharge three times faster for teammates
-Go invisible
-See's all enemies below 50% health through walls, also sees if these enemies have ult.

Ana had a ton of utility as well. I think spending so much time on just one character makes them fall in love with them a bit too much.

Sombra would be perfectly fine without the invisibility, or if she could only hack health packs, OR enemies, or hell, both of those changes.

I can't fucking wait to use her, and she seems like an insane amount of fun. I'm also extremely confident that she would completely break the game in her current state.

I feel like every (or almost every) archetype, whether it be stylistic or gameplay class, has already been covered by the Overwatch roster, so new characters from this point forward have to be really well thought out. Like how Eichenwalde has so much more design in it than other maps.

when can us from consoles expect the arcade modes?

It'll be on PTR next week, probably will be on there for 2 weeks. So by the end of November.

I feel like every (or almost every) archetype, whether it be stylistic or gameplay class, has already been covered by the Overwatch roster, so new characters from this point forward have to be really well thought out. Like how Eichenwalde has so much more design in it than other maps.

There's a lot of archetypes we don't have yet. I can easily come up with like at least 10 character archetypes that aren't yet in Overwatch. The thing is, it's also hard to realize those archetypes into proper playable characters.

eek5

Heh, nope. It was the second win in a row, but hardly a streak.

Huh, interesting. I've only noticed getting significantly more than 20 SR on a win if I'm deep into a win streak. Still don't really understand how that gets calculated

I do really like when characters can do so many different things, but the balance is an issue.

Like why does Sombra have all these hacking abilities and passives and still deal out similar damage to Tracer? Just make her an all utility character with a 'save my ass in a rough spot' gun. Or why does Ana have the best dps of any main healer, but also the best single target healing (by an absurd amount)? To go along with a 'shut down any ult' CC?

I don't want to be complain guy. But I do care about balance, and she just seems insane, like 'pros would go 6 Sombras if they could' type insane.

Where's Anne?! We need opinions!

AbaFadi

Banned
Huh, interesting. I've only noticed getting significantly more than 20 SR on a win if I'm deep into a win streak. Still don't really understand how that gets calculated

If you were the underdogs of the game by 100+ points you get a lot more than usual.

Introducing McCree!
-Can Roll
-Can Stun

Say hello to Bastion!
-Has turret mode
-Can self heal

Sombra
-Go invisible

Yeah, they definitely went overboard with this character. You can cut some stuff from there while still maintaining her really good.

Tovarisc

Agreed.
Winston can break her Stealth but she doesn't need stealth and will always have a grenade up on a healthkit out of line of sight.
She does Solder levels of damage with a larger magazine, Winston is ult fodder with his hitbox and headshot hitbox ROFL

People thinking of how to counter her invis are missing the point.
No I mean from mid-range sombra was destroying winston even before he could close the gap. It's the whole mccree thing all over again. Is her role supposed to be to melt tanks because it looks like she can out-dps reaper against tanks right now from further out.

Winston and Roadhog are ult batteries for quite a few heroes. Hitboxes on them are so generous. Will be interesting to see how high mobility Winston [read: well played, none of this BlizzCon scrubbery] does against Sombra. Making Sombra's cone of fire tad larger could be in order tho if she starts to creep into Reaper territory too much while doing it from range.

exYle

It'll be on PTR next week, probably will be on there for 2 weeks. So by the end of November.

There's a lot of archetypes we don't have yet. I can easily come up with like at least 10 character archetypes that aren't yet in Overwatch. The thing is, it's also hard to realize those archetypes into proper playable characters.

Would you care to share some ideas? I'm always down for theoretical heroes

kuppy

So given that Blizzard requires standard skins for the Overwatch World Cup. Is it fair to say that Blizzard rather wants Overwatch to grow as an esport rather than sell more loot boxes?

Tovarisc

So given that Blizzard requires standard skins for the Overwatch Open. Is it fair to say that Blizzard rather wants Overwatch to grow as an esport rather than sell more loot boxes?

What?

Having players use default skins makes it easier for casters and viewers to tell what hero is where by glance. Those are maybe best known skins after all and makes game fast to read for everyone.

Moonkeis

So given that Blizzard requires standard skins for the Overwatch World Cup. Is it fair to say that Blizzard rather wants Overwatch to grow as an esport rather than sell more loot boxes?

I'd assume they need additional ways to generate revenue for the game.

kuppy

What?

Having players use default skins makes it easier for casters and viewers to tell what hero is where by glance. Those are maybe best known skins after all and makes game fast to read for everyone.
Yes. But Dota for example doesn't require it and makes many people see skins that they later drop a coin on.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Winston and Roadhog are ult batteries for quite a few heroes. Hitboxes on them are so generous. Will be interesting to see how high mobility Winston [read: well played, none of this BlizzCon scrubbery] does against Sombra. Making Sombra's cone of fire tad larger could be in order tho if she starts to creep into Reaper territory too much while doing it from range.
Why would a good Winston matter?
Sombra just instantly recalls out of line of sight.

If your Winston is babysitting your squishes he's not doing anything like disrupting the backline. And Sombra most importantly only engages with stealth when playing safely. Basically opopop

darklin0

Banned
What?

Each characters silhouettes are very unique and skins do not make it harder to tell who is who.

Would you care to share some ideas? I'm always down for theoretical heroes

Certainly.
For instance, I've been thinking about what character would fit the map of Ilios, and my first thought was a grizzled sailor/pirate (cause Greece and boats go well together), but I've come to the conclusion that the best fit for Ilios would be an Indiana Jones/Lara Croft type archeologist/treasure hunter. Perhaps using a whip to restrain enemies and such.

The upcoming map already makes me crave scientist characters, and there's very many things you can do with. There's the mad evil scientist, there's the regal, scholarly professor, or the eccentric tinkerer.

Some other archetypes - kooky elderly lady (you know, the auntie inviting you over for tea and knitting you socks for christmas :p); or the Duke Nukem/Serious Sam kinda guy - badass dude built like a brick and wielding a massive gun. Benevolent/assisting AI type (Athena!). Special agent/spy kind of guy ala James Bond.

And there's a lot of villain concepts that haven't been explored yet, either. Religious extremist, evil AI/Omnic who wants to destroy all of the fleshbags, Bond-villain corporate/criminal kingpin (preferably with en eyepatch), and so on.

Tovarisc

Why would a good Winston matter?
Sombra just instantly recalls out of line of sight.

If your Winston is babysitting your squishes he's not doing anything like disrupting the backline. And Sombra most importantly only engages with stealth when playing safely. Basically opopop

We were talking about range of Sombra's SMG, but in fact we were talking about her cloak + transponder combo use?

Tracer, Sombra, Reaper... all heroes that chase and harass squishes, all to which many say Winston to be counter. All are heroes he usually can't 1on1, but can't force them to retreat. If Winston isn't sitting target, but uses his leap well then range of Sombra's SMG may be smaller issue.

Sombra's cloak to transponder combo is its own discussion and balance question.

Does someone know the results of the France v Russia and Spain v Finland games, please?

Also, Kryw was using skins earlier, but he was the only one.

exYle

Certainly.
For instance, I've been thinking about what character would fit the map of Ilios, and my first thought was a grizzled sailor/pirate (cause Greece and boats go well together), but I've come to the conclusion that the best fit for Ilios would be an Indiana Jones/Lara Croft type archeologist/treasure hunter. Perhaps using a whip to restrain enemies and such.

The upcoming map already makes me crave scientist characters, and there's very many things you can do with. There's the mad evil scientist, there's the regal, scholarly professor, or the eccentric tinkerer.

Some other archetypes - kooky elderly lady (you know, the auntie inviting you over for tea and knitting you socks for christmas :p); or the Duke Nukem/Serious Sam kinda guy - badass dude built like a brick and wielding a massive gun. Benevolent/assisting AI type (Athena!). Special agent/spy kind of guy ala James Bond.

And there's a lot of villain concepts that haven't been explored yet, either. Religious extremist, evil AI/Omnic who wants to destroy all of the fleshbags, Bond-villain corporate/criminal kingpin (preferably with en eyepatch), and so on.

Well, you could say Ana and Reinhardt already take a few of those archetypes, but yeah, those are cool. An adventuring type who traversed using a whip like Spiderman's webs would be super cool. But yeah, the gameplay utility is the challenge.

Russia and Finland won.

Thank you. Shame about Spain, they were doing so damn well.

Well, you could say Ana and Reinhardt already take a few of those archetypes, but yeah, those are cool. An adventuring type who traversed using a whip like Spiderman's webs would be super cool. But yeah, the gameplay utility is the challenge.

Reinhardt is built like a brick, but he isn't the oneliner-spewing massive pumpgun-wielding guy who just mows everything down and wears shades while doing it. :p
And Ana is sassy badass granny, not the Dolores Umbridge kind of character I had in my mind.

Satch

Banned
i was thinking about it a bit and after watching some of the gameplay i dont see her as being that tracer destroying hero that i assumed she'd be right out of the gate

her hack ability provides a silence and locks tracer's abilities, but it takes time to do and has a tether that im sure tracer can break by blinking away from before the animation completes. her biggest problem with dealing with sombra will be the EMP, but its an ultimate that has to be charged first, so tracer probably wont have to deal with it too often. and sombra doesnt have any damage abilities that will just randomly kill tracer out of nowhere like hanzo and mei etc have

on the other hand, sombra's ability to stifle tracer's use of health packs is a pretty big deal because of how dependent she is on those. i actually dont expect her ability to hack health packs to make it out of ptr unchanged. theyll almost certainly reduce it to 20-30 seconds as opposed to a full minute. 60 seconds is a long fucking time to not be able to heal in a game like this, and it makes the health packs respawn faster for her team. heroes like genji, tracer, winston, and dva are hugely affected by that.

another thing with the hacking ability is that we'll probably continue to see mercy stay on the sidelines of the game because it absolutely wrecks her ability to escape flankers with her guardian angel, but this also gives more of a reason for blizzard to give mercy an ability that lets her purge or purify herself (or teammates) that cant be disabled by other heroes.

there's an ability like that in dota 2 on Ursa that allows you to purge off the effect of a stun while you are currently stunned but not while you are currently silenced. i think it'd be fine for mercy to have the similar ability to cast a purge to remove yourself of silences but not stuns. but if youve used it ahead of time and sombra catches you off guard, then tough shit. no rez noob mercy

also im full of shit i think but we'll see

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom