• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne

I haven't been seeing a lot of Soldier at APEX which is pretty good. McCree is obviously still the king vs all the Genjis/Tracers flying about. Also seeing a healthy amount of Winston on maps with good verticality.

Maybe it's a bit anecdotal though as I haven't watched it as carefully as others.

Soldier is still picked a lot, but yeah it's not a huge spike really compared to Tracer/Genji/McCree roaming around. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at the highest pickrate for DPS but still be around the same tier as the other popular picks. The prediction that his usage rate would drop a bit with tanks getting nerfed turned out to be true.

Dude is still a solo q monster though.

This is a good chart

overview.png

http://www.omnicmeta.com/2017/02/pc-competitive-ladder-season-3-report.html

This chart is way better than mine - thank you!

Things that surprised me:
Genji gets MORE common as you get to higher levels.
Soldier 76, too.
RIPer.
Tracer only exists in very high level play - weird.
Everyone knows Bastion sucks, at all levels.
Hanzo is a LIE.
Everyone knows Reinhardt is essential.
Roadhog gets MORE common as you get higher? He's in like 100% of my games in silver.
Why is Lucio less common as you get higher? o_O

ekim

Soldier 76, too.
RIPer.
Hanzo is a LIE.
Roadhog gets MORE common as you get higher? He's in like 100% of my games in silver.

All healers are losing to Ana in higher tiers. Either the second heal is more split between Zen and Lucio then before or High tier players only use one healer (Ana)?

Woo-Fu

Banned
What's wrong with junkrat?

Too easy to kill, too hard to focus any hero that isn't standing right in front of him. His fatal flaw is that he is incapable of instantly finishing somebody almost already dead unless they're very close to him. Whereas anybody with hitscan and the range can finish people with just a click.

Junkrat is primarily spread damage and what is spread damage great for in Overwatch? Charging up the ults of your healers and making sure the enemy Zarya reaches full charge.

He also has arguably the worst ult in the game.

I mean I love playing Junkrat and I think he can fit in to some comps on some sides but in general there is usually/always a better hero to pick.

About the only buff I'd give him is perhaps a tiny bit of shield. His problem isn't really a matter of balance as it is utility and applicability to how the primary modes of this game are played. He's a square peg.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Soldier 76, too.
RIPer.
Hanzo is a LIE.

Genji is very high skill-cap and when you hit that skill cap you have perhaps the best ult in the game for wiping the enemy team, plus it combos very well with Ana's Nanoboost. That is why he is so common at the highest tier.

Soldier brings the most utility and the most "stickyness" of any of the DPS heroes and has a pretty good ult while not being near as hard to play effectively as any of the other DPS classes.

Lucio is less common because a Zen at that tier gets more done, particularly in a tank-heavy meta and because Ana is practically mandatory. Ana + Zen simply kills tanks faster thanks to discord orb and Zenyatta behing half dps class himself. Transcendence isn't quite as good Lucio's ult but is good enough. All that leaves for Lucio is speed boost, which while useful rarely is the keystone.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm finally getting into Winston. Did a couple of QP games yesterday where people raged in chat and told me to stop focusing them.

When you get the hang of it Winston is suuuuuuper fun to play.

He's very good in QP too since people pick widow all the fucking time.

I do find he's one of the characters that gets obliterated by a good amount of counter characters though to the point where it forces a swap. Like even if it's just someone on bastion, NOPE.

Nimby

Banned
Renegades vs Complexity was TERRIBLE. Renegades literally threw the game multiple times. They should have one that 3-0, but Complexity got the reverse sweep.

- Not getting on the point, on Dorado they would have held NO QUESTION (this happened 3 times)
- Sypeh at one point, tried to get a Lucio off the cart by firing Zarya right-clicks around like a maniac, ended up doing most of the damage to himself and died to Lucio, and Joemeister solo pushed the cart in with 3 members of Renegades still up (HILARIOUS)
- Jer switched off Symmetra with 80% charge on tele because Nicholas attempted to spawn camp him as Widow, but he got pressured by the rest of RNG and backed out anyway
- Mangachu letting the "Hard carry DPS" go to his head, somehow thinks he can fly around as Pharah and take his Mercy on an adventure going back into spawns and killing Ana and the other Pharah to win the match, but in reality the rest of his team loses the fight on the ground because Mercy wasn't there to heal the others
- Running quad DPS and no tank LUL, that's even worse than running quad tank. Just looks like an uncoordinated mess, I have no idea why that's better than having Juvenile run Winston and going standard dive.

I really like Winston, but my experience with him in QP is something like this:
-Team is disorganized and scattered, so leaping in is suicide.
-Can't do anything from range while waiting for people to get it together.
-Damage is low when I do get in, so it takes a long time to kill the target. If it gets heals, I die.

Woo-Fu

Banned
-Damage is low when I do get in, so it takes a long time to kill the target. If it gets heals, I die.

On the low damage thing you need to make sure you land your pounce on or very near to the target so you get that initial 50. 5 meter radius according to the wiki.

On the low damage thing you need to make sure you land your pounce on or very near to the target so you get that initial 50. 5 meter radius according to the wiki.

I keep forgetting about this (I only really play him when he shows up in Mystery Heroes). Thanks!

Does his "Splashdown" voice line indicate that the damage was successful?

When you get the hang of it Winston is suuuuuuper fun to play.

He's very good in QP too since people pick widow all the fucking time.

I do find he's one of the characters that gets obliterated by a good amount of counter characters though to the point where it forces a swap. Like even if it's just someone on bastion, NOPE.

Love me some Winston but it does feel like he has more hard and soft counters than he should.
Heck even the squishy fellows you're supposed to be picking on can jam you out, nothing like tickling a Hanzo for like a good 6 seconds and then getting one ridiculously high damaging scatter arrow to ruin everything.

We're not going to get a new Hero today.
Is Season 4 delayed or is that a rumour going round?

I don't expect being able to play it today but I did think it would be announced today. It will likely still be announced later today though, or Blizzard would really be dragging this out longer than they should be.

LordofPwn

I've been having the worst luck with matchmaking past couple of weeks. I just want to get my 9 wins out of the way but these teams man... smdh...

Nimby

Banned
C5wp88MWMAEbQp0.jpg:large

Didn't notice the Axiom logo.

Continuity-wise, I don't see why Efi would create that omnic. The events are happening in present day in Overwatch (I assume?) and this omnic is either a mascot for Axiom or an omnic fashion model.

I think it can still be possible, but it looks kinda dim at this point. Shame, because I really like that design too, hopefully if that omnic is like Shrike for Ana we get a skin resembling that.

PlayOverwatch twitter account is in overdrive right now. Nothing really juicy except that it's definitely coming at 4pst and there will be an update along with it. Didn't say no to there being different rewards this season either (didn't say 'yes' though.)

Ambient80

She's using the Axiom voice processor, so I assume that the Axiom robot is part of her inspiration.

Don't think it's that exact omnic though. She wouldn't build a copy of an existing fashion robot.

I do wonder how much that particular robot was modeled after a night or blood elf from WoW. The head and ear shape just really look quite similar. Even the way he's standing, even though I can't see his legs is making me think of a NE or BE.

Plesiades

I do wonder how much that particular robot was modeled after a night or blood elf from WoW. The head and ear shape just really look quite similar. Even the way he's standing, even though I can't see his legs is making me think of a NE or BE.

Someone forgot to remodel a dwarf and we got Torbjorn ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jellie

PlayOverwatch twitter account is in overdrive right now. Nothing really juicy except that it's definitely coming at 4pst and there will be an update along with it. Didn't say no to there being different rewards this season either (didn't say 'yes' though.)

I just spent my CP at the end of season 3 :( welp. Sounds like there might be new ones then.

Horizon is a really cool new game. I was very impressed in my few hours last night. But here I am the next day refreshing an OT and a twitter account for a game that came out almost a year ago, just because a new season of comp is starting.

This game won't let go. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom