• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

Chance

What do you guys do when no one on the other team is dying? Had a couple of games last night in which I switched off of tank or healer to play dps because we either only had flankers who died immediately before teamfights and I wasn't able to do anything about it, or because we just weren't finishing anyone off. Even going Roadhog or Tracer and getting 1-2 picks doesn't get the job done sometimes.

When that happens I tend to lose.

Often what I'll switch to depends less on my team's comp than the reds. If the problem is shields, Junkrat is often the solution. Too many supports or snipers? Winston. A Mercy who won't die, and thus her team is unkillable? Tracer.

Sometimes the answer is to tailor your play to better-enable your team, of course - but it's hard to know which will be more valuable in the moment. I go with my gut.

It is... unreliable.

Chance

Tracer has good skins too but Pharah's design lets her get more creative skin which have ended up looking better than a lot of other characters.

Call me when Tracer gets a mecha skin!

Look, we all agree the blue gundam skin and anubis are awesome. No one's arguing that. But...

-Slipstream
-Sporty
-Posh
-T. Racer
-Sprinter
-Jingle
-Cadet Oxton

and the piece de resistance...

-Rose

Most heroes have some awesome skins. Tracer drowns in them. She opens her closet and weeps, for words fail her.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Way more hype for dance emotes than skins. Those are hot.

"guys wtf why is no one getting on the point??"

https://track3.mixtape.moe/yuxlsl.webm

Look, we all agree the blue gundam skin and anubis are awesome. No one's arguing that. But...

-Sporty
-Posh
-T. Racer
-Sprinter
-Jingle
-Cadet Oxton

-Rose

Most heroes have some awesome skins. Tracer drowns in them. She opens her closet and weeps, for words fail her.

I don't play either character, just have a back-rocket fetish! You're right though, Tracer is also in the pool of "many great and zero absolute bad" skins. Winston might also be in that pool.

Zarya skin is the best of those but I'm skeptical on the blue hair. Need to get a Rein/Mercy skin though. I'm going to hold res until Mercy gets another legendary.

Maybe they will have an alt with different colors.

Now you have an excuse for when you die with rez. Mercy is gonna get a swimsuit skin in the summer games, you will just have to hold on until then.

Hey, y'all, bronze player here who is slowly climbing up towards Silver.

Looking at my player stats for Competitive, it looks like my "mains" are mostly memes.

I have positive win rates with Mei in both QP and Comp, and have spent the most time playing as her. My win rates with Symmetra are similarly high.

My win rate with Mercy is slowly climbing and is up to 44% in Comp and 49% in QP. D. Va, another character I feel comfortable with has a highish WR in QP, but a dismal one in Comp.

Winston is fun, but I don't really have enough time on him to justify playing him in Comp. Also, Bastion is EVERYWHERE in Bronze and it makes it really hard to play him, especially when you dive and your team doesn't follow up. Sombra is another character I like and have a positive record with her in QP, but a dismal one in Comp.

So, what do you do when you're still in bronze and your "mains" are mostly memes? I've like / am most comfortable with

1) Mei
2) D. Va
3) Mercy
4) Sombra
5) Sym

I'm "OK" with Zen, but don't really have good enough aim.
I like Winston and Orisa, but the former keeps dying to Bastion and Orisa's gun is hard to aim (though strong in its present form).

Should I just keep playing that list in Comp and try to improve at all of them--switching to match the needs of the team?
I don't know what "characters are memed" means. But I can't really think of a worse pool of heroes to climb out of Bronze and Silver with so if you think you don't belong there you should pick up a carry hero or two.

-Sporty
-Posh
-T. Racer
-Sprinter
-Jingle
-Cadet Oxton

-Rose

<3
Im glad you know that Rose is the best one

And she'll probably get another on Tuesday

<3 <3 <3

-Sporty
-Posh
-T. Racer
-Sprinter
-Jingle
-Cadet Oxton

-Rose

Ultraviolet is better than a chunk of those, cadet especially

6C0F51F5C8C9B132F254C0AA1F2C05A8CBD97932

this aint right

This always cracked me up when I played. Made up by the 200 or so voice lines she has in that game though.

I still think the best skins in the game are Lone Wolf/Okami, but that's been there since launch.

Those really are the best. I do like Summer Games Mercy and Genji an awful lot though. Chinese New Year Zen and Winston are fire, as well. I think all of Sombra's skins look really nice, that Tron-meets-Day-of-the-Dead aesthetic works for me for some reason.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Sanzang owns (and I don't have it ;_; ) but some of his original skins are ugly I think. Those fucking eagle masks.

KuroNeeko

Sanzang owns (and I don't have it ;_; ) but some of his original skins are ugly I think. Those fucking eagle masks.

How can you not like the Ra skin?

I don't know what "characters are memed" means. But I can't really think of a worse pool of heroes to climb out of Bronze and Silver with so if you think you don't belong there you should pick up a carry hero or two.

My "mains are memes" means, I know that they're not popular or optimal picks--especially Sym and Mei, but over the course of my time with the game, those are the characters I've grown attached to. I guess if I look for a common thread, they all have abilities that don't require a lot of aim? I actually just like disruption, I guess, and Sombre / Mei excel at both.

I probably belong in Bronze and Silver. I've been playing since probably launch, but never consistently. I usually warm up with 3-5 Quick Play games, then play 3 or so Competitive a night. The advice I most often see (in lower ranks) is to play what you're most familiar with, but since I realize my most familiar characters are...niche (meme) characters, I came here to ask.

Thanks for the advice! ^^

Ra is probably my favorite in-game. I do prefer the looks of Djinn/Ifrit but those bracelets are way too big.

Sanzang looks freaking cool with the uprsing highlight intro though, antitrop showed me the way with his gifs.

KuroNeeko

Sanzang looks awesome, but personally I like the Nutcracker one more. ^^

I have Djinn, but would trade it in a second for Ra or Sunyatta.

My girl Zarya finally gets a skin and it looks like one of those knockoff action figures China you get off a sketchy website. What the hell Blizzard I want a redo. Just in general I don't have a clue what the theme for these skins are. They look they took their early concept art designs and brought them to life.

Also Sombra is a highly underrated pick for best skins.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I wish they'd be a bit more playful with the silhouettes for the skins. Characters like D.Va and Bastion have so much opportunity for uniqute looking skins but are limited to basically recolours with some minor accents.

I don't see the point of those "spikes" pharah has on her feet.

Zarya's one of my best tanks now. Right after D.Va. if someone else can play DPS, I got this.

Do it.

I've got Junkrat covered, so you don't have to worry about that. Played him today on eichenwalde first point, kept R2 pressed during the whole game on defense aiming at the choke and the skulls kept popping out, all according to keikaku ( &#865;° &#860;&#662; &#865;°)

My girl Zarya finally gets a skin and it looks like one of those knockoff action figures China you get off a sketchy website. What the hell Blizzard I want a redo. Just in general I don't have a clue what the theme for these skins are. They look they took their early concept art designs and brought them to life.

Her recolors are cute. I still rock peppermint.

The Ummah

Banned
Would love to go back and quote my old post in here when I was sad...

Playing solo comp the past couple days with randoms on PS4, and I'm almost at platinum. This is a complete 180 from when I dipped to the 1900s, bounced back and surpassed my season high with 2400 now. Been grouping up with players who do great call-outs, and even doing well with people who communicate without a mic. Hope I didn't jinx myself by posting this, but I'm having a good time. Would love to reach platinum tonight.

I just started playing about a month ago, so this is my first season.

Edit: Any GAF groups playing tonight?

antitrop

I wish I recorded it or it was a highlight, but I mid-air slept a nanoboosted Reaper that was jumping off the top main doors of Hanamura A to Death Blossom, then nano'd our Rein as he charged the poor sap.

It was the most beautiful thing I've ever done as Ana.

Wtf is this? Ra is incredible.

Ra is my skin on my alt (a Zen main), but only because I didn't get the Chinese New Year skin for it, just for my main. Ra skin is life.

OT PS aside: I had a guy turn to me, while I was playing Rein in his Chinese New Year skin,- in a very brief moment between attacks, no less- and say, "No offense big guy, you're putting in work, but we cannot be friends. That skin freaks me the fuck out." and then we went on to hold on King's Row. People are weird. And true to his word, no Friend Request after.

You know what? I'm wondering if the long-rumored "Gladiator Mode" isn't coming. And looking at those skins, it might be happening in Junkertown, where mech-ish combatants fight to the finish.

Also agreed on Sombra. Top-to-bottom, I'd say she's the best for skins. I would wear literally any of her skins and not feel self-conscious. I think she's the only one that's true of.

Top Bottom