• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch Passes 20 Million Registered Players!

NeoRaider

OVERWATCH OFFICIALLY PASSES 20 MILLION REGISTERED PLAYERS

Activision Blizzard announced today that Overwatch has passed 20 million global players. This news comes just under five months after the game's release, and a little over two months after the developer announced the game supassed 15 million total players.

It's worth noting this means there are 20 million registered Overwatch accounts, not necessarily that the game has sold 20 million copies. While Blizzard hasn't released sales numbers for Overwatch, it was June's highest selling game, according to the NPD's numbers.

Edit:

In August, Blizzard boasted that Overwatch’s player count had passed 15 million.

Blizzard has now announced that the game has reached the 20 million player milestone. Five million new players added in two months equates to 3424 players joining the game every hour.

GOTY!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How is Overwatch doing on Twitch? Like, averagely?

I'm more interested in knowing how much it has actually sold by now. With these numbers it's got to be close to the biggest new IP ever.

Edit - VG247 seems to be assuming this is sales. I doubt that, as I expect they're bundling beta players in as well in order to inflate the numbers, which seems to be fairly standard practice when talking about registered users.

That’s 20 million people who have shelled out $60 or local equivalent to play.

TheContact

How is Overwatch doing on Twitch? Like, averagely?

Averages in top 10 I would say. There are a few players that sort of carry the game on twitch because of their fan bases, like lyrik, moon moon, but during tournaments it's usually in top 5.

It's a hard game to spectate because of how fast paced it is.

It's the only game I've been playing since it came out though. Really fun to play. And the new Halloween event blows out summer games

NeoRaider

Registered player == units sold but still those numbers are huge congrats to blizzard

No one said in the article that registered users = units sold, so...

Does this include all the people who played it during the free weekend?

I am not sure. They didn't gave that info. Game was at 15m maybe 3 months after the release and before free week happened, so i guess it doesn't include these accounts.

NeoRaider

More info:

In August, Blizzard boasted that Overwatch’s player count had passed 15 million.

Blizzard has now announced that the game has reached the 20 million player milestone. Five million new players added in two months equates to 3424 players joining the game every hour.

Registered player == units sold but still those numbers are huge congrats to blizzard

Yup, weird article. There's a huge used market, different users per console, free weekends, ...
Those numbers will all probably count.

That’s 20 million people who have shelled out $60 or local equivalent to play.

Is just false.

That said, the game is good and I don't like most multiplayer games. The Overwatch console experience is very relaxing after a workday.

But it does, you even put it there on the OP:

It’s easy to get blasé about big numbers in this era of free-to-play games with whopping player numbers, but Overwatch is a premium boxed product. That’s 20 million people who have shelled out $60 or local equivalent to play.

NeoRaider

But it does, you even put it there on the OP:

Well i was reading other article where they said that it doesn't mean that 20m registered users are 20m copies sold, and got confused. Sorry.

It's worth noting this means there are 20 million registered Overwatch accounts, not necessarily that the game has sold 20 million copies. While Blizzard hasn't released sales numbers for Overwatch, it was June's highest selling game, according to the NPD's numbers.

Confusing how some articles are saying copies sold, and some are saying different thing.

I am not sure. They didn't gave that info. Game was at 15m maybe 3 months after the release and before free week happened, so i guess it doesn't include these accounts.

They probably all count, most companies do this with their multiplayer focused games. Even Titanfall got like 10 million registered users if you count everything.

NeoRaider

^ Actually i was reading 3 articles and they all said different thing. But yeah, think what makes you feel better.

--------

I edited that line from VG247 because they are wrong. Since we all know that number of accounts is not = copies sold.

Ashtar

Lol you changed the quote friend but regardless
20 million people who have shelled out $60 or local equivalent to play.
Is a direct quote from the article which isn't true, I know they say that it's not true in the next paragraph but that doesn't change that they wrote it friend

Edit never mind I see you fixed it ✌🏾️

Santiako

I'm thinking of picking this up on ps4, is it a friendly game to beginners? Is it worth to play it if I'm not intending to use the mic?

breakfuss

I'm thinking of picking this up on ps4, is it a friendly game to beginners? Is it worth to play it if I'm not intending to use the mic?

Yes, very beginner friendly. Very laid back and easy to pickup. And hardly anyone uses a mic so you'll be in good company. My friend and I even sometimes switch over from party to in-game chat to encourage others to talk but no one ever does.

Santiako

Yes, very beginner friendly. Very laid back and easy to pickup. And hardly anyone uses a mic so you'll be in good company. My friend and I even sometimes switch over from party to in-game chat to encourage others to talk but no one ever does.

Sweet. I'll pick it up for the weekend.

KLoWn

I feel the same. It's not that I actively dislike it, but I'm not having a lot of fun with it either. I'm forcing myself to play it just to correct my opinion on it.
How about you just go play something else that you like? What you're doing doesn't seem very fun.

Jito

Banned
Regardless if its registered accounts or units sold, the game is a huge success, I think that's obviously the main take away from these numbers.

Wasn't there a thread about how big it is in East Asia. . . I really want to see sales numbers by country rather than total plus including people who are playing in those PC Bangs.

Regardless if its registered accounts or units sold, the game is a huge success, I think that's obviously the main take away from these numbers.

Of course and I'm happy it's a B2P game and not a F2P game, what most people thought it was going to be.
In this F2P era of multiplayer gaming, it's always nice to see a B2P game doing extremely well. It's just a much better feeling of paying 50 euro in my case for the PS4 version and knowing I'm going to get all the future updates for free.

Deserved, it's a brilliant game; best of the year after Uncharted 4. And pure crack as well unfortunately. It's worrying how many hours I can wile away playing Quick Play alone. It's like the concept of time is thrown out of the window.

^ Actually i was reading 3 articles and they all said different thing. But yeah, think what makes you feel better.

You don't need to get snippy. You quoted that in the OP and then myself and someone else pointed out it was a misunderstanding of the numbers, and you still said we were wrong.

Fair enough though, it was just a mistake.

rockyt

How is it on PC is it easy to get into on it. Will I be able to play for short burst gameplay and how user beginner friendly is it? I'm been on the fence on this game lately and not sure yet. I like Team Fortress and Splatoon but to be honest I do not like COD or Batterfield will this one be closer to Team Fortress and Splatoon?

Top Bottom