• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch Passes 20 Million Registered Players!

antitrop

It's my new favorite multiplayer game ever and I didn't even give the least of a shit about it until the open beta.

Absolute lock for my GOTY.

Ridygo

Aynone know how to find this wallpaper?

https://twitter.com/lucyjamesgames/status/786166105463291906

CukF5YbW8AACam2.jpg:large

Menitta

Man, I wish I played it more. I played it everyday a month after launch and just stopped. I haven't even touched Ana.

nynt9

How is it on PC is it easy to get into on it. Will I be able to play for short burst gameplay and how user beginner friendly is it? I'm been on the fence on this game lately and not sure yet. I like Team Fortress and Splatoon but to be honest I do not like COD or Batterfield will this one be closer to Team Fortress and Splatoon?

It's pretty close to Team Fortress. If you like that then yeah, this should be up your alley.

I'm one of those 20million but I really regret dropping the cash on this game. Over-designed and simplistic mechanically. Very little to master if you're coming from a background like Quake or TF2.

Winning a match is satisfying but losing a match is literally one of the most anti-fun gaming experiences I've ever had, and I play MOBAs so unfun losing experiences are nothing new to me.

Gave it up after about a week.

antitrop

Very little to master if you're coming from a background like Quake or TF2.
Meh, ive been playing online shooters since since Duke3D and Quake. I put thousands of hours into HL1 Counter-Strike and hundreds into TFC. Overwatch is a game where the more I play it, the more I realize how much I still have left to learn. People who think they've got it all figured out after a dozen hours gives me a gut laugh.

Lupercal

Banned
Great game, lost interest after they started gutting all interesting features and everything getting nerfed so you only see the same 8 characters. :/

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Great game, lost interest after they started gutting all interesting features and everything getting nerfed so you only see the same 8 characters. :/

Well that and the lack of maps. There's only so many times I can play these 4-5 maps before I get tired of them. They aren't Arica Harbor or Port Valadez level of "OMG I can play on these" replay-ability. Game being matchmaking only (and taking longer and longer and longer every update) also doesn't help.

nbraun80

gutting what interesting features? and maybe you see the same 8-10 in the pro play or masters/High-diamond but below that you can play most things and win if you're good with the hero.
*edit: actually just watching a little korean league now, but I've seen 15 of the 22 heroes used in a couple games depending on the situation, so I don't even think diversity is too big of an issue. The biggest category not see is defensive heroes, with Mei being the only one used and you see plenty of junkrat, honzo, widow, bastion in normal games.
Well that and the lack of maps. There's only so many times I can play these 4-5 maps before I get tired of them. They aren't Arica Harbor or Port Valadez level of "OMG I can play on these" replay-ability. Game being matchmaking only (and taking longer and longer and longer every update) also doesn't help.
really haven't noticed a big upspike is matchmaking, it's a bit longer in competitive, but that should be expected for any game trying to match skill rating closely, QP should still be pretty quick. Also there's 13 maps currently so not sure where your 4-5 are from.

Lucifon

I'm more interested in hearing how many of those players are regularly active (outside of promotional events like the Halloween one going on now). I don't know of anyone still playing the game regularly. It's fun, but it gets old fairly quick as far as MP shooters go.

Played it for a week, then went back to TF2. I've tried watching the competitive scene, but the Overwatch Open bored me to tears, so I'm probably done with that.

It's a shame, because it's so close to being perfect. Still, glad to see it's doing well.

Ibuki

Banned
Can someone explain why people playing in LAN cafes would count as more than one registered user per machine? That's not possible is it?

Can someone explain why people playing in LAN cafes would count as more than one registered user per machine? That's not possible is it?

No that would mean a number of battle.net accounts played the game via the free promotion in Korean PC bangs. Blizzard can obviously track that.

With almost 10 millions players that registered for the open beta, that could mean that it sold minimum 10 millions copies. Not bad huh.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The reason they're reporting registered players is that, in the last fiscal call, they said half of Overwatch's 15 million registered players came from Asia, and a lot of places there use alternative business models.

This is generally separate from things like the beta or the free weekend, and more about things like PC Bangs.

Ploid 3.0

I'm saving my account for the events. This Halloween I got the Mercy Witch so instead of trying to get other Halloween skins I'll wait til Xmas to try my luck and stay at level 0 for easier loot crates. I wish the PS4 version could transfer account unlocks over the the PC version if I eventually get that when the price become dirt cheap.

gypsygib

This is likely the minority opinion but a full priced MP-only FPS shooter game that's not THAT innovative winning GOTY would upset me and only further support my fears that the death of the SP focused FPS is well on its way and publishers have little incentive to make MP only games launch at lower prices.

I'm saving my account for the events. This Halloween I got the Mercy Witch so instead of trying to get other Halloween skins I'll wait til Xmas to try my luck and stay at level 0 for easier loot crates. I wish the PS4 version could transfer account unlocks over the the PC version if I eventually get that when the price become dirt cheap.

You only play the game a couple of times a year so you can get skins?

Sounds like you're playing for skins, not for the gameplay. This is weird to me.

Welfare

There was a free weekend last month, so wouldn't that boost these numbers? Would I be counted in that since a played it but never bought it?

Spacebar

It's the perfect multiplayer game for me. No unlocking perks or guns, plenty of variety in play styles, and runs smooth as butter. I own on PC and PS4. I hope they announce some toys like the huge city events they had at launch.

Congrats and well deserved. I can't imagine how much they are making off of Loot Boxes. This games profit margins must be crazy

Ploid 3.0

You only play the game a couple of times a year so you can get skins?

Sounds like you're playing for skins, not for the gameplay. This is weird to me.

I'm not a fps person. The other person likes Overwatch, and the characters. I might help unlock things this event, but my PSN account is hardly ever used because I mainly play games on PC.

There was a free weekend last month, so wouldn't that boost these numbers? Would I be counted in that since a played it but never bought it?

Interesting point. It probably does, when we got the game after the free weekend, stuff we unlocked during the event was still unlocked after. I don't know if it count though, but I don't see why it wouldn't. So a weekend of F2P numbers on a already popular game.

Edit: It seems this is all based on sold copies.

khaaan

So does that mean they're including people who joined in for the free weekend or open beta in this count?

Could you not just set the screenshot res to a multiple of your current resolution and take a screenshot of the main menu screen?

Link to a link to a 4K shot

Link to Animated desktop background version

Malice215

I had no plans on picking the game up until I saw that Witch Mercy skin yesterday. Bought a copy this morning to add to the 20M players.

Lawwwwwd!

Top Bottom