• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ownage: The Average American Owns 1.7 Guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doth Togo

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000745373

Press Image of Gun Owner Not Far Off, Except for All Those Women

By E&P Staff

Published: January 04, 2005 10:00 AM ET

NEW YORK A Gallup Poll released this morning reveals that the average American owns 1.7 guns, with the average gun owner possessing 4.4 of them. The press is quick to promote stereotypes of the average gun owner as a white male, most likely Republican, living in a rural area or the South. But how well does reality match the image? The new Gallup Poll shows that the stereotype is not that far off, but with several twists.

For one thing, one out of three American women say they own a gun. That's not much below the overall mark of 40% for all American adults.

As for other elements of the stereotype: More than half (53%) of Republicans own guns, compared with 36% of political independents and 31% of Democrats. Whites are more likely than nonwhites to own (44% and 24%, respectively), according to Gallup.

Residents of the South are significantly more likely than those living in other regions to report owning a gun. More than half of those living in rural areas (56%) own a gun, compared with 40% of suburbanites and 29% of those living in urban areas.

From 1959 through 1993, an average of 47% of Americans reported having a gun in their homes. Since that time, household gun ownership has dropped to an average of 40%.

Gallup also asked those with guns in their households about the total number of guns they have. A majority of gun owners (62%) have more than one gun on their properties, including 29% who say they have five or more guns.

But do guns make you safer? “Americans are divided on the topic,” Gallup reports, with 46% saying that having a gun in the home makes it a more dangerous place to be, and 42% saying guns make households safer.

- - - - -

I'm a moderate Democrat and I own an AK47 and a 9mm. I guess I'm slightly above average. Yea, I'd say my AK makes me feel safer. I secure it and take care of it so no mistakes can happen.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
The missus and I are democrats, we own two handguns... please come visit us when we are asleep. ;)

I own two guns

guns.jpg

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
1.7 guns, eh? So one of them is like...broken or something?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Bogdan said:
And kill you while you are making a sudden movement towards your bed side table? Ok.

We keep our guns alot close than the bedside table my friend. Plus you'd have to make it all the way through our house up the steps to our bedroom without making a sound(missus is an incredibly light sleeper) I know where everything is in the house and *I* can't even do it... I've tried.... and without causing our dog to bark at you. Possibly of doing both? Slim.

Anyway that's besides the point... just chiming in to say we are part of that statistic.

u_neek

You guys are sick!

You can't even say fuck or show boobs on tv - but killing each other is okay...

Iceman

Hey, don't even think about squashing my right to kill people. What else would I do with my prosperity and unequaled freedom?

u_neek

Iceman said:
Hey, don't even think about squashing my right to kill people. What else would I do with my prosperity and unequaled freedom?

Say fuck or show boobs on tv..?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
There are better things in life than witnessing profanity and/or nudity on TV.

Such as shooting the TV, Elvis style.

xsarien

daedsiluap
u_neek said:
You guys are sick!

Well, not on standard broadcast channels. But on pay-cable, we can. It's still kind of lame, but what're you going to do when a bunch of Puritans are the ones who got the party started?

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Son of Godzilla said:
Ummm. Shouldn't this read that americans own an average of 1.7 guns, not the average american owns 1.7 guns?
both of those work just fine.

Zilch

Banned
u_neek said:
You guys are sick!

I know you're probably 13 years old or illiterate or something, but owning guns doesn't give you a license to kill people.

tedtropy

dem said:
Wow

If you sleep with guns you have problems...

Depending on where you live, you'd be asking for problems to not be sleeping with a gun. Of course it all stems from the bigger problem of living in such a place, and the problems that keep you there. Damn problems!

tedtropy

In true Master Chief fashion, I now own two guns, which I hold outright constantly while walking around my house...also naked.

i believe this, uh, report. two of my friends own a total of 11 guns, all kept in their room. it's goddamn ridiculous. to make matters worse, they can't shoot the water in their own pools with these things...

Zilch said:
I know you're probably 13 years old or illiterate or something, but owning guns doesn't give you a license to kill people.

True, but what else is a gun used for? Oh that's right, to kill or threaten death. Private gun ownership in a modern society is foolish and does more harm than good.

Atrex

I love how everyone is so anti-american....just because the spotlight is hotter here doesnt mean the same things arent going on in your own counrty. :| Maybe not as common but still its not like the overwhelming majority of us are running around shooting each other.

Teflar

True, but what else is a gun used for? Oh that's right, to kill or threaten death. Private gun ownership in a modern society is foolish and does more harm than good.

Hunting? Private display? Domestic defense?

There are good reasons to own guns, though personally I am not a fan, but to throw a blanket statement over it like that is unproductive. You argue that because guns CAN be used for violence then they WILL be. That's simply false. Also, you have the case of citizens who aquire guns through illegal means (and thus can be assumed to have violent intent, or at least unlawful) and now you have armed thugs while removing any sense of security that a private citizen may have.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Minotauro said:
Uh, he shoots guns in like 99% of every movie he's ever been in? It really isn't that big of a deal really, it just seemed somewhat ironic...
liking movies/fiction filled with guns is one thing, a lifestyle filled with guns is another.
Atrex said:
I love how everyone is so anti-american....just because the spotlight is hotter here doesnt mean the same things arent going on in your own counrty. :|
it's more anti-gun than anti-american. and i don't think any other country in the world has as many guns owned by civilians as america does. it really is kinda sad that people feel so unsafe in their own home that they believe they need a gun.

u_neek

Atrex said:
I love how everyone is so anti-american....just because the spotlight is hotter here doesnt mean the same things arent going on in your own counrty. :|

I doubt that even 1 out of 500 Europeans owns a gun...

Atrex

Well counties like Switzerland where almost everyone has a gun, would beg to differ, and although gun ownership is a little less of a concrete example of what i am talking about....in a more general sense the above statement is true.

Thaedolus

Is owning a gun a bad thing? I've safely used them for many years now. I also know many people who own multiple guns and use them safely. Several guys I know teach their kids how to use them safely

There's nothing wrong with guns, it's the people who use them. A car is just as deadly a weapon, in many cases, yet we let kids get behind the wheel at 16, 15...hell even 14 in Idaho. Bitch about that or something. I've lost more friends and family to car accidents than gun deaths (ZERO!)

NLB2

Banned
Thaedolus said:
Is owning a gun a bad thing? I've safely used them for many years now. I also know many people who own multiple guns and use them safely. Several guys I know teach their kids how to use them safely

There's nothing wrong with guns, it's the people who use them. A car is just as deadly a weapon, in many cases, yet we let kids get behind the wheel at 16, 15...hell even 14 in Idaho. Bitch about that or something. I've lost more friends and family to car accidents than gun deaths (ZERO!)
Yes, and the argument that there are more cars than guns thus more deaths by car iss obviously unsound with this news of 1.7 guns per person.

Teflar said:
Hunting? Private display? Domestic defense?
There are good reasons to own guns
, though personally I am not a fan, but to throw a blanket statement over it like that is unproductive. You argue that because guns CAN be used for violence then they WILL be. That's simply false.

Private display? :lol

A gun is designed for the SOLE PURPOSE of KILLING living things, most notably, people. Guns have advanced from simple one shot weapons to rapid-fire weapons to do what exactly? Enhance private display capabilities? Shoot deer/rabbits/ducks more effectively? Oh that's right I forgot it's to KILL PEOPLE FASTER AND MORE EFFECTIVELY.

GUNS ARE ALWAYS USED FOR VIOLENCE. HELLO!!!!

Brandishing a weapon in a display of aggression to initiate or ward off a threat of violence, even if said weapon is not used, is STILL AN ACT OF VIOLENCE.

Atrex

thats just a rediculous statement, automatic weapons arent even legal at least where i am from.... and i know numerous people who have gun collections that are a part of a hobby they are involved in. A lot of those gun collections contain weapons that dont even work and havnt for years....please tell me how owning a gun that doesnt work is an act of violence in any logical sense? You act like everyone walks around 'packing heat' the large majority of those guns are locked up in gun cabinets and taken up once a year to provide food for a family, and adjust the large game population to an acceptable level for the environments capacity.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
It's interesting. In my lifetime, I've held a sawed-off shotgun, an AK, and a Magnum, but never pulled the trigger on any of them, even when my boys would go to the roof for target practice. Just isn't me. My bro used to keep shit stashed (the sawed-off my dad found) but he was always into beef when he was young (that and he used to be a stick-up kid all over Bushwick back then). But I have no desire for a gun, at all, even w/ my 2 children. It's principle, but it's also the fact that I have a bad temper. Impulse shootings are no fun for anyone.

Thaedolus

DJ Demon J said:

A gun is designed for the SOLE PURPOSE of KILLING living things, most notably, people. Guns have advanced from simple one shot weapons to rapid-fire weapons to do what exactly? Enhance private display capabilities? Shoot deer/rabbits/ducks more effectively? Oh that's right I forgot it's to KILL PEOPLE FASTER AND MORE EFFECTIVELY.

Brandishing a weapon in a display of aggression to initiate or ward off a threat of violence, even if said weapon is not used, is STILL AN ACT OF VIOLENCE.

I've shot thousands of rounds over my lifetime, and I can honestly say I've only once targeted a living creature: a pesky armadillo at my grandmother's house.

Teflar

DJ Demon J said:

First, yes. Private display. There are people who collect things. If I collect midieval swords, it does not mean that I am about to go out removing other people's limbs.

I agree with you that it is getting out of control, but if I may continue to play devil's advocate here...

DJ Demon J said:

This is what is wrong with your argument. Guns are not always used for violence. Unless the act of owning a gun is an act of violence. I suppose you could argue that the act of firing a gun could be a violent act, but what about target shooting? If I own a gun and never use it ouside of the firing range, am I a violent person?

DJ Demon J said:

Ok, I'll give you that. My question would be: If, by brandishing said gun, you were to scare away an intruder coming with the express intent of harming you, is that wrong? Sure you acted violently, but the situation demanded a violent response. You could attempt to talk your way out of the situation or you could try to physically restain your attacker without the use of a firearm...

The use of violence is not necessarily evil, especially when you begin to start talking about violence that doesn't cause injury (brandishing a weapon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom