• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oxymoron - ScHoolboy Q |OT| "Tell Kendrick move from the throne, I came for it"

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is growing on me the more I listen to it. Its my go to car record right now. Even the songs I weren't too big on have grown on me like Los Awesome. Purge is still eh though.

I love this album, really don't understand the amount of hate it seems to be getting. Some purely score based reviews would be:

Gangsta - 9/10
Los Awesome - 6/10
Collard Greens - 9/10
What They Want - 7/10
Hoover Street - 7/10
Studio - 7/10
Prescription - 8/10
Oxymoron - 8/10
The Purge - 6/10
Blind Threats - 8/10
Hell of a Night - 6/10
Break the Bank - 9/10
Man of the Year - 9/10
His and Her Friend - 5/10
The Grooveline Pt. 2 - 6/10
Fuck LA - 6/10
Yay Yay - 8/10

Overall a solid 8/10, need to listen to Gravy, Californication and Pusha Man some more before I can really judge them.

breakfuss

Conan Live Performance (Studio)

Sounds better than the studio version (pun intended)! And hell I didn't realize BJ the Kid looked like Obie Trice. Also the continued Purge hate is hilarious. That beat is dope and if anything Q is the one who ruins it with the lethargic flow toward the middle.

I definitely don't hate it, but it's nowhere near Habits & Contradictions for me. Considering the name is Oxymoron, I was expecting a sort of thematic followup to that LP, but in terms of running themes this album is pretty limp. Lots of bang bang gangsta shit, but a lot less introspection and raw unflinching nastiness to balance it out - unless that's the ~crazy juxtaposition~ the intros with the little girl are supposed to be, in which case *fart noise*

Los Awesome fucking bangs and I really like Man of the Year. Collard Greens is good too, but the rest of the album so far feels a bit messy. There's nothing as good as Sacrilegious or Hands on the Wheel here.

Majestad

Banned
This album is very disappointing. Only two legitimately great songs: Break the Bank and Prescription/Oxymoron.

SchoolboyQ is awful with hooks and his constant switch of flows/voices/and ad-libs (uh uh uh) gets on my nerves.

What! didn't know he was getting this big this fast. He's coming to Denver day before St. Vincent. Can't decide which one to go to both are really good. Has anyone seen him live?

____

What! didn't know he was getting this big this fast. He's coming to Denver day before St. Vincent. Can't decide which one to go to both are really good. Has anyone seen him live?

Saw him last night in Miami -- the venue had the a/c broken most of the show, so it was EXTREMELY hot with how packed it was.

Q kept apologizing for not being able to perform as well as he wanted to, due to the heat, but I still enjoyed for what it was.

His openers were dope, though, Vince Staples, Isaiah Rashad and Audio Push were all amazing.

Ephemeris

Got to see Q yesterday.

So glad he mixed his best cuts off H&C with the best of Oxy. Even a few where he was the feature.

Got to meet him at the end, got my cd signed, picture taken etc. Cool dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom