• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: Xbox 720 will launch at $99.99; have cable TV subscription

yurinka

I'd say he drinks too much. Why do you want a smart tv connected a smart tv, and to use internet there when you have it in your phone and computer?

If this actually ends up being true (by some miracle) I predict massive losses of the playerbase in the transition from 360 to '720'...

If this supersedes the cable and Live bill people already have, I definitely see this working. If it's an addition to cable and essentially, a right to play the games on my console? Then no.

But it is the next logical step to MS's partnership with comcast and verizon.

I'd say he drinks too much. Why do you want a smart tv connected a smart tv, and to use internet there when you have it in your phone and computer?
Most people don't own smart tvs...? Smart tvs don't play modern games?
People want an all-in-one package and said package has been alluded to for a very very long time.
MS has been ahead of the pack in terms of creating that plug and play all-in-one media package and I'm not gonna say it's a sure-thing that the new console will be just that, but it is very very possible. Cable tv is the missing link. Pachters been wrong before, but the cable box/console sounds about right to me. They positioned themselves to do it with a butt load of cable tv partnerships. Will they? I don't know.

Zizbuka

Banned
You'll buy a 3 year contract and a 60$ per month tv plan.

Still, if MS has the balls to do it, they will win the living room.

No chance. What about the millions of homes that don't have cable (satellite, nothing, etc.)? You think they'll switch just to own an xbox?

knitoe

Wow. I leave for a few hours and people still use the same old argument against it. If I have pay for TV cable contract...Does anyone here think Microsoft won't have X720 SKU(s) w/o contract, like their current models?

Bsigg12

How would stream to other rooms without seperate receiver boxes?

In the leaked document, they talk about using the 360 as an add-on to the 720. Essentially, the 360 will get new life out of being a media receiver with the 720 being pretty much a hub/server for the 360s you already own.

After seeing this thread, and this thread from the other day: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481827&page=5 here are my thoughts...

DVR's are not the way of the future, and I'm not sure why so much attention is being put on them. I've already seen patents where some television providers are patenting DVR service over the cloud. Instead of having a DVR with a hard drive, your DVR will be about the size of a Roku or AppleTV, and your tv shows are recorded on the cloud for playback later. DVR services are set to become, essentially, very similar to Netflix or Hulu. Apple, Electronic Arts, even Microsoft want to get rid of the need for huge hard drives and physical media. Perhaps the death of DVR service and traditional cable tv is too far out for Microsoft to worry about the cloud at this point in time... But with Hulu and Netflix...the market has *already* started moving that way. Eventually, everything will be sent over the internet, and only those who want to back up their files locally will pay for extra local storage.

Anyway, such an emphasis on DVR service seems like MS is meeting the current market demand rather than looking much toward the future, although I'm sure the 720 could be updated to operate with cloud services. No doubt, this approach might be good for sales as it would let the xbox do basically anything a home dvr/blu-ray/roku setup could do.

Another problem though is that cable tv and satellite services do not generally "play ball" very easily with secondary hardware manufacturers. It's just not something that, traditionally, they've embraced with any enthusiasm.

What did interest me is that Microsoft (I think), patented a system for recording gameplay footage on a console. So, apparently, you can record all your gameplay on your xbox and (hopefully) edit it and upload it to youtube. If I remember correctly, they've already got a patent for something similar to this.

Last, I'm not sure that Microsoft wants to bundle in the cost of a huge hard drive at launch, which is what would be required for DVR services. So, I see a 3 skus. Media streaming unit only (DVR capable, but harddrive sold separately). gaming and media streaming unit (no harddrive, but sold separately) and premium model gaming, media streaming, and DVR services with a hard drive build in.

The basic console will have some flash memory built in, but I can see MS planning to screw everybody on proprietary aftermarket hard drive prices.

Anyway, I find it puzzling that Microsoft would go through the trouble to include a bunch of DVR functionality with specialized hardware when such technology is on its way out.

I'm not too worried about the DVR taking up system resources. I don't see why it should take up much more than the current 360 OS already does when games are playing.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
I wouldn't discount as one of the many potential SKUs for 720, even though he probably has no clue what he is talking about.

Ceebs

If this is a thing, my money would be on a Comcast partnership.

It would be like the Vita + AT&T thing, only worse. You not only have to deal with a god awful telecom, you are forced into it for a reasonably priced console.

Dunlop

I 100% believe in the media hub aspect, but killing your sales outside of the US and fracturing it within (assuming it is only with one cable company, people will generally not switch their current provider over something uknown like this) does not make a lot of sense

alphaNoid

Banned
The last thing I want is a cable sub so this would be total fail for someone like me.

Good thing there would be multiple options, this being one of them. Want to pay full price for the console w/o sub? Do it, want to get it for $99 and replace your current Cable sub with the Xbox one? Do it.

Brofist

Little Jimmy 720 owner
Little Mary: Mooooooom! Jimmy won't let me watch Jersey Shore!
Little Jimmy: But mom, I was here first and was playing Halo with my clan!
Mom: Jimmy, get off the damn Xbox so your sister can watch TV!
Little Jimmy: But mom! It's my Xbox!
Mom: And it's also our cable box Jimmy so get off! I won't tell you again!!
Little Jimmy: But MOM, my clan!!!
Mom: *SMACK!!*

Little Jimmy Wii U owner
Little Mary: Moooooom! Jimmy won't let me watch Jersey Shore!
Little Jimmy: It's ok sis, I can play on my U-pad while you watch those retards.

so basically the same as now, except already being done with iPad, 3DS, iPhone, etc...

Pachter, as always, is only thinking about the US-Market for a world wide releasing console. How is this idea going to work in Bangladesh or Spain or Germany? Right it won't. The X360 is only in the US a real multimedia device.

goomba

Banned
so basically the same as now, except already being done with iPad, 3DS, iPhone, etc...

LOL you think you can switch a console game your playing on your tv to your iPad, 3DS, iPhone, etc...?

I dont have a problem with someone making predictions, what bugs me is the way hes saying "its definitely happening, I'm sure of this bla bla bla" its so arrogant and comes across as complete bullshit considering his previous prediction track record.

Scalibur

I think this is entirely possible. Similar to subsidies for mobile phones. $99 for a basic box and a 2 year cable/XBL subscription. They will probably also offer a full priced unsubsidized version for $400+

Brofist

LOL you think you can switch a console game your playing on your tv to your iPad, 3DS, iPhone, etc...?

I dont have a problem with someone making predictions, what bugs me is the way hes saying "its definitely happening, I'm sure of this bla bla bla" its so arrogant and comes across as complete bullshit considering his previous prediction track record.

No, but most people will just switch to whatever else is around.

Yagharek

So this is US only? Don't see how MS is going to dominate the 'world' by partnering with cable companies..

Pretty much. Xbox live services from third parties like Netflix etc aren't even available in many or most places outside NA.

Its not a selling point when the services aren't an option.

Meelow

Banned
If this is true, would this mean the Xbox 720 would release only in US or the US would only get the TV features?.

bill0527

I believe Pachter is right.

But he left off the other half of his analysis.

The part where Microsoft will also offer an un-subsidized box anywhere from $299-$499.

Its just patently ridiculous and absurd to think the only version of Xbox 720 you can buy will be bundled with a major cable company like Comcast.

What about the half of the country who don't have Comcast in their area? Or Time Warner if Microsoft partners with them? Does that mean half the country then can't use the Xbox if they don't have one of these major cable companies in their area? Of course not.

It will be an optional sku for them, and I think it will definitely be an option since Microsoft is already doing the $99 subsidized box with 2 years of Xbox Live. Hell, that will probably be an optional sku as well.

My gut feeling is that Microsoft may have as many as 4 skus next generation - a couple of $99 subsidized sku options which may or may not have gaming functions - just pure set top TV boxes with DVR functionality and internet options, and they'll also have the big box that has everything in it unsubsidized but at a sizable price in the $399-$499 range.

knitoe

If this is true, would this mean the Xbox 720 would release only in US or the US would only get the TV features?.

Not going to happen, but for the last freaking time, they will have subsidize contract TV SKU ($99?) and regular SKUs ($299-399). The regular SKUs will be release in all markets. And, it shouldn't take a genius to know that the TV SKU will only be release in countries that have that option available. Or, does it...

Call me an old fogey but I want a games console not a cable box.
You are still getting a game console which also can do TV. It's like how the X360 can also play music and movies. You are not force to use the features if you don't want to.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I think MS most likely will try do a sub route, but in a different way

Basic:
$399 console, $59.99 for Gold, Gold+ maybe a $4.99 fee per month

Subscription:
$199 console, $14.99 for Gold+ per month for 2 years (Gold+ being like a knock-off of PS+, 1 game a month given and discount)

Cable Provider move is moronic
I'm sorry, you would need to keep happy 10+ providers, this is not even including regional/obscure services
In OT Forum, Direct TV is having problems with Viacom, does MS really want to get involved in that shit

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
You are still getting a game console which also does TV. It's like how X360 can also play music and movies. You don't have to use the features if you don't want to.

I hear this all the time but I still don't like it, I don't want my games console hiding in a cable TV sheepskin, I was there day one queuing up to buy a 360 but with the latest dash I'm honestly put off turning the system on altogether, it just doesn't feel like a games console any more, pathetic?, maybe, but I just don't feel MS are catering to me any more.

Werhil

Another problem though is that cable tv and satellite services do not generally "play ball" very easily with secondary hardware manufacturers. It's just not something that, traditionally, they've embraced with any enthusiasm.

I work for a cable co and I agree with that. Haven't heard about any direct integration with MS like this in the pipeline either, but that doesn't mean its not possible of course.

Still, the more I think about it, it just doesn't appear likely. That is, for an Xbox to be offered and promoted directly as a full fledged 'official' cable dvr box replacement. For one it would need some not entirely insignificant resource dedicated to that purpose, and possibly 2 drives, if you expect to be gaming and recording multiple 1080i streams in the background.

Jarsonot

Seriously, the only reason TV and Cell phones sucription model work is because of the free upgrades on devices.

I haven't had cable in years, are there free upgrades for cable tv?

Also, I didn't enter into my cell plan for possible free upgrades (have never had a free upgrade), rather to subsidize the cost of my phone.

So I guess I don't agree.

There are cable companies in most European countries, there are rental services and so on. It's just that the market is so disjointed so it's hard to work out licensing deals with all of them. It can be done, however.

knitoe

All they need is America.

It'll probably launch at $499.99 and have a subscription service.

After the PS3 $499-599 launch fiasco, nobody would be dumb enough to launch at that price range let alone add a subscription on top of that. Time for 2 jobs again...

I would be shocked if the regular no contract SKUs weren't $299-399, same as X360 launch, and the Xbox TV SKU box w/contract weren't subsidize for $99-199.

mujun

I hear this all the time but I still don't like it, I don't want my games console hiding in a cable TV sheepskin, I was there day one queuing up to buy a 360 but with the latest dash I'm honestly put off turning the system on altogether, it just doesn't feel like a games console any more, pathetic?, maybe, but I just don't feel MS are catering to me any more.

Apart from the aesthetics how is the PS3 any different?

Top Bottom