• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pacific Rim: Jaeger Pilot shown at SDCC (Oculus/UE4, VR Experience, No Pics)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm not 100% clear on what this is, but "combat simulator" sounds close enough to a game to put in Gaming for now.

IGN said:
Legendary arrived at San Diego Comic-Con in a big, bad way, presenting a killer booth experience that includes Pacific Rim: Jaeger Pilot -- a new virtual reality attraction that incorporates Oculus Rift to put the user inside the Gypsy Danger Conn-Pod -- and a gallery display featuring props from Guillermo del Toro's upcoming horror film, Crimson Peak.

On Wednesday, IGN got a chance step into the fully-realized Jaeger combat simulator and experience what it feels like to pilot a 250-story robot. Fans lucky enough to test the demo will immediately recognize the setting, which recreates the movie's opening scene featuring pilot brothers Raleigh and Yancy.

Created with original film assets from ILM and developed within Unreal Engine 4, Pacific Rim: Jaeger Pilot provides a thrilling first-person battle between Gipsy Danger and the kaiju codenamed "Knifehead." Needless to say Del Toro's vision for kaijus vs. robots has never felt so real as it does in Oculus Rift. After the climactic battle has ended, the simulation goes black and flashes a UI header: "Enrollment begins in 2017."

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07...veals-pacific-rim-vr-and-crimson-peak-gallery

It doesn't quite seem to be a game in its current form, though with a 2017 release, that might not be the final intention.

Sentient said:
Here's a quote about it. For now, it's just a video using the Oculus to immerse yourself into it but with the 2017 enroll year I imagine they might be doing something else with this.

Using Facebook’s brand new Oculus Rift virtual reality technology, Legendary Pictures invites fans to join the fight and take control of the 250-foot Jaeger, in a combat simulator – with no drift connection required. During the experience star Charlie Hunnam acts as your co-pilot and guide, while the goggle headset allows you to look in all directions at the interior of the Jaeger and, of course, the approaching kaiju. Built using the same assets Industrial Light & Magic worked with for the movie, it’s seriously intense!

A picture from SDCC of it being used. Doesn't look like you actually play anything..yet.

jaegar3.jpg

A picture from SDCC of it being used. Doesn't look like you actually play anything..yet.

jaegar3.jpg

When I saw thread title I was going to make a joke about it being Kinect controlled... but really, where are the controllers?

edit:
Here's a quote about it. For now, it's just a video using the Oculus to immerse yourself into it but with the 2017 enroll year I imagine they might be doing something else with this.
oic

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

jaegar3.jpg

Yeah whatever they showed at SDCC doesn't seem to be a game yet.

I'm just not 100% sure if it's because it's a teaser for something coming in 2017 or if that's the final intended form.

Using Facebook’s brand new Oculus Rift virtual reality technology, Legendary Pictures invites fans to join the fight and take control of the 250-foot Jaeger, in a combat simulator – with no drift connection required. During the experience star Charlie Hunnam acts as your co-pilot and guide, while the goggle headset allows you to look in all directions at the interior of the Jaeger and, of course, the approaching kaiju. Built using the same assets Industrial Light & Magic worked with for the movie, it’s seriously intense!

Krejlooc

Banned
Yeah whatever they showed at SDCC doesn't seem to be a game yet.

I'm just not 100% sure if it's because it's a teaser for something coming in 2017 or if that's the final intended form.

I don't think this is going to become a game. Del Toro talked about interactive experiences. We lack the term for this sort of entertainment right now. Think Senza Peso. Like a VR ride or something, for better term.

Essentially, a lot of people see this as the future of film.

Hopefully this actually sees the light of day unlike that other Del Toro related project Insane. I remember them announcing that game like 3 years in advance as well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think this is going to become a game. Del Toro talked about interactive experiences. We lack the term for this sort of entertainment right now. Think Senza Peso. Like a VR ride or something, for better term.

Essentially, a lot of people see this as the future of film.

Yeah, it is very possible I put this in the wrong forum.

Krejlooc

Banned
Should also mention: Fox is prepping a companion piece to Night at the Museum for VR, and James Cameron is talking about using VR in some function for Avatar 2 and/or Avatar 3.

Oh, and David Attenborough is filming a documentary about marine life using omnidirectional cameras for VR viewing.

Suddenly, this Samsung Galaxy Gear VR viewer stuff makes sense, no?

Yeah, it is very possible I put this in the wrong forum.

FWIW, as someone working in VR, I feel this should go in the gaming forum because it's really built off of video game technology. I really don't know what this stuff is going to all end up being known as - interactive entertainment maybe? But right now, the line between it and developing video games are very blurred.

Such an incredibly interesting time for technology :)

Stark

Banned
This is really neat. Whether it turns out to be how Pacific Rim 2 is watched or an actual game, I'm hyped.

YuShtink

These kinds of experiences are going to be so fucking cool with the Rift. Using assets SRAIGHT out of the film, my goodness it must be incredible inside there.

Game4life

Banned
Damn this sounds so awesome! I hope we get full feature length action movies someday that is made from the ground up with Rift in mind. This will add a whole new layer of immersion. Cannot wait for the VR revolution.

I would literally buy an Occulus Rift for full blown Jaeger vs. Kaiju combat simulator. I've been wanting something like that ever since I was a kid watching Godzilla and Gamera films! =3

Top Bottom