• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pacific Rim: Jaeger Pilot shown at SDCC (Oculus/UE4, VR Experience, No Pics)

Krejlooc

Banned
pacific+rim+awesome.gif

The most bad ass thing about all this? None of what is in this gif is out of the realm of what commercial VR will be able to do by this christmas. Strap yourself into a virtuix omni, grab some Sixense STEMs or a PrioVR, and strap on an Oculus Rift DK2, and there is no reason you couldn't experience just this. Albeit much more clumsy... but likely still just as awesome.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A picture from SDCC of it being used. Doesn't look like you actually play anything..yet.

jaegar3.jpg

Sounds more like a ride than anything else. Maybe they are planning something as a theme park installation for 2017?

Full version need to be built around a jaeger cockpit - you strap yourself in to the controls and then put the OR on (the set is for immersion as you enter). Then as well as the OR recreating the cockpit view, it could move your arms and legs to follow the action too - like a fancy motion platform.

Mechazawa

A legitimately good Pacific Rim video game is the exact type of thing that would get me to invest in an Oculus.

Please be real.

Please don't suck.

Alx

Using Facebook’s brand new Oculus Rift virtual reality technology

I have no doubt Facebook's money will play a big role in the development of the OR (one just has to watch at all the big names that joined the company after they bought it), but it irks me slightly to see them already getting the merit of offering that "new virtual reality technology". Right now they just barely bought them.

A legitimately good Pacific Rim video game is the exact type of thing that would get me to invest in an Oculus.

Please be real.

Please don't suck.

this, my daughter would love something like that, and me too of course, i´ve seen the movie like six times because she loved the movie, i´ll always thought that is the perfect movie to see when you are 8- 12 years old , she is 8

duckroll

Guys, this isn't a game. I think gaming outlets are really confused about covering this, but it seems pretty obvious that this is a promotion for Pacific Rim as a franchise in general. It's just an experience thing for their booth at SDCC. 2017 is when Pacific Rim 2 has been dated for, so that's what they're getting people excited for. :p

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Guys, this isn't a game. I think gaming outlets are really confused about covering this, but it seems pretty obvious that this is a promotion for Pacific Rim as a franchise in general. It's just an experience thing for their booth at SDCC. 2017 is when Pacific Rim 2 has been dated for, so that's what they're getting people excited for. :p

Do you remember the teaser for that Abrams flick (Super 8 I think it was called?) that came with Portal 2?

This is probably something like that, which makes it a middle ground between cinema and games.

duckroll

Do you remember the teaser for that Abrams flick (Super 8 I think it was called?) that came with Portal 2?

This is probably something like that, which makes it a middle ground between cinema and games.

What I mean is, the 2017 teaser is definitely not an indication that they have some bigger game in production which will take the next 3 years. They'll probably have some tie-in stuff eventually, but the 2017 at the end of this demo is a teaser for Pacific Rim 2's planned release date, nothing more.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
What I mean is, the 2017 teaser is definitely not an indication that they have some bigger game in production which will take the next 3 years. They'll probably have some tie-in stuff eventually, but the 2017 at the end of this demo is a teaser for Pacific Rim 2's planned release date, nothing more.

Yep, just like that Super 8 teaser.

Still, 2017 is a long way off. If there's enough enthusiasm about these type of things, maybe there will be more where this came from.

Top Bottom