• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paging Dr. Farnsgoth

GreyHorace

Life of Brian was highly controversial at the time of its release and caused quite a stir, especially amongst religious Christians calling it blasphemous. They protested it and wanted the movie banned. Outrage culture is nothing new, it just comes in different forms, such as the rise of social media making it more prevalent.
I did mention the controversy the movie faced on it's release. I just wanted to point out that it would be hated by people on the other hand of the political spectrum. Hell, the movie made fun of revolutionaries at a time (the 70's) when it was fashionable, and that pointed satire could just as easily be applied today. Part of the brilliance of the Pythons was that they skewered both liberals and conservatives without remorse.

I'll say again, this is what happens when mods give users too much freedom to post.
TALK THAT SHIT, KING!
Tc2dX.gif

$$$$$$$

shit needs to be as sterile as possible to generate dat ca$$$$$h

wear a smile AT ALL TIMES

show your audience that you care!

a good reputation is everything

but of course outside of a business "locker room talk" will always exist (which makes for exciting headlines, provided the right people say the wrong things!)

Hinedorf

Banned
As a gay man I truly don't know how society ended up being bigger faggots than myself sometimes.

One of my favorite jokes my friend told me would never be able to be said again was "Laser_Printer, if I didn't already you know we're Gay listening to Coldplay would've given it away."

Still best friend's to this day.

As a straight dude I was actually going to defend listening to Coldplay as I like a few of their songs but in even considering defending that I recognize I'm pretty gay after all.

Fuz

Banned
I feel the same about Tropic Thunder, so many things wrong with that movie they'd likely not allow

oPViOoG.gif
And it would be a shame because it's an awesome movie.
And by the way, they're making fun of whitewashing in the movie, not of black people. How retarded have you to be to find it offensive?

Thinking about it, how many awesome things are we missing right now because of this obsessive PC culture?

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
And by the way, they're making fun of whitewashing in the movie, not of black people. How retarded have you to be to find it offensive?

Is that intended to be a dig against whitewashing though? I feel like it was just intended to be a caricature of method actors, simply taking it to an absurd logical conclusion. The very fact blackface was used says something about the state of the race wars at the time, I don't remember any significant outrage about that at all. I don't think whitewashing was even on people's radars yet.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Remember the Hangover? It came out just over 10 years ago. That’s not that long ago.

I remember how popular this movie was and how everyone and their dog was repeating the line “paging Dr. Faggot” without a single spilled tendie. Everyone knew that the butt of the joke was not homosexuals and that the word was being used in the way that South Park used it to describe obnoxiously loud bikers.

Now look where we are. If a movie producer dared include a line like this, it’d be the end of the world. In fact, I’m surprised that Twitter hasn’t tried to retroactively cancel Todd Phillips who directed the Hangover.

What do you reckon, gaffots? How did culture change so drastically in a little over 10 years?
Weak minded people who get their feelings hurt over everything started to be catered to and now that the precedent has been set everyone is afraid to be the one who draws the line in the sand and say enough.

Fuz

Banned
Is that intended to be a dig against whitewashing though? I feel like it was just intended to be a caricature of method actors, simply taking it to an absurd logical conclusion. The very fact blackface was used says something about the state of the race wars at the time, I don't remember any significant outrage about that at all. I don't think whitewashing was even on people's radars yet.
I remember (part of) the black community pissed because they chose a white actor to play a black role, prior to the movie release.

Nymphae

Banned
I remember (part of) the black community pissed because they chose a white actor to play a black role, prior to the movie release.

Yeah they should have hired a black guy to be a guy pretending to be black I guess :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I wonder how different the reception would be for a black method actor going white. Couldn't do the "you people" joke then.

People can’t joke about anything currently cause everything suddenly is offensive. As for me I don’t give a shit, if one can’t take a joke no matter what kind it is then they can fuck off

Everything now is abusive and offensive. Nobody is allowed to joke or have fun especially when they sound like it but no, cancel culture are so butt hurt that they can’t take anything but a dick in the ass.
Imagine trying to release Blazing Saddles in Current Year....

killatopak

Gold Member
Tons of movies and shows can’t fly today.

I’m just glad they released the English dub of Ghost Stories before everything became offensive.

Nymphae

Banned
I said it in other thread, In Seinfeld, they made jokes about gay, fat people, ugly baby, immigrants, and people were able to just laugh it off, because it's just that, a joke

Look at where we are now, we're fucking regressing

Did they really make fun of gays though? One of the more famous episodes is the "not that there's anything wrong with that" one, one of the first big cultural steps in the "oh god I hope people don't think I'm not down for the cause" thing.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
I said it in other thread, In Seinfeld, they made jokes about gay, fat people, ugly baby, immigrants, and people were able to just laugh it off, because it's just that, a joke

Look at where we are now, we're fucking regressing
Did they really make fun of gays though? One of the more famous episodes is the "not that there's anything wrong with that" one, one of the first big cultural steps in the "oh god I hope people don't think I'm not down for the cause" thing.
Where's the jew jokes?

Top Bottom