• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 1, 2013 - Prepare the Vita Chamber! Patient Wii U on Route!

Don't really follow PAL charts, but are these sensationalist thread titles really not frowned upon for a cold hard numbers thread? Or are the Euro threads more casual than Media Create/NPD?

Danielsan

I can't blame the general public for their lack of interest in the Wii U. It's easily the gaming purchase of 2012 that I regret the most.

Pacher NPD: "675,000 Wii U units were sold at US retail in its second month."

That is his educatede guess for the report. Not official numbers.

Also, this thread is about Europe which the NPD does not cover.

A tad off topic but if the NPD numbers are disappointing, then the Wii U threads are going to be epic for the next month.

I think you might have missed the point somewhat... how the Wii U is doing in Japan or the US is largely irrelevant in this thread.

SmokyDave

Don't really follow PAL charts, but are these sensationalist thread titles really not frowned upon for a cold hard numbers thread? Or are the Euro threads more casual than Media Create/NPD?
We still got your cold hard numbers, they're just delivered with a little personality.

PaulLFC

Pacher NPD: "675,000 Wii U units were sold at US retail in its second month."
His post was referring to this being the PAL (Europe) sales thread, and those numbers being US numbers.

Here in the UK it isn't exactly doing brilliantly. Around 60-70,000 over launch weekend and the following 2 weeks, then after that it dropped off the charts so what it sold is anyone's guess, although it certainly can't be in high numbers given the non-appearance of Nintendoland.

Software right now is abysmal, games 6-10 in the Wii U top 10 sold low 3 digit numbers (378 copies or less). Yes, 378. Nintendo needs to do something, fast.

Does anyone know if there are Australian and New Zealand numbers floating around? I ask because obviously the Wii U scenario in the UK is dire and that means that the chances of relying on Nintendo UK for local versions (and NZGameshop for importing) aren't something on which I'd bet. But I know Nintendo of Australia, to an extent, operate as their own entity. Like how they released Animal Crossing on the GameCube and DS well before the European versions.

I only need the Wii U to get Nintendo titles to make the investment worthwhile (and that's why I'm less worried about it than, say, the Vita), but I'd still like to know there is a chance of getting those titles, seeing as the thing is region-locked.

Maybe I'll have to rely on the eShop.

Fredrik

Still zero WiiU marketing where I live and no demo stations. I'm actually surprised it sells at all. Nintendo has lost it for sure, Saturo Shibata is awesome in Nintendo Direct but he alone can't sell system.

PaulLFC

Still zero WiiU marketing where I live and no demo stations. I'm actually surprised it sells at all. Nintendo has lost it for sure, Saturo Shibata is awesome in Nintendo Direct but he alone can't sell system.
I've seen two Wii U demo stations, one in GAME and one in HMV. The one in HMV was turned off, which was a brilliant way to sell the system. The one in GAME had one demo, Rayman Legends. You'd have thought they'd at least have put Nintendoland and NSMBU on the demo stations as well.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
His post was referring to this being the PAL (Europe) sales thread, and those numbers being US numbers.

Here in the UK it isn't exactly doing brilliantly. Around 60-70,000 over launch weekend and the following 2 weeks, then after that it dropped off the charts so what it sold is anyone's guess, although it certainly can't be in high numbers given the non-appearance of Nintendoland.

Software right now is abysmal, games 6-10 in the Wii U top 10 sold low 3 digit numbers (378 copies or less). Yes, 378. Nintendo needs to do something, fast.

Dunno what they can do now. Don't think advertising alone will solve it. Also I am always sceptical that software alone sells a system. Just because a new Zelda is releasing, people will not start buying the system in droves. I mean it already has a NSMB....
What it needs is a lot of good first party titles from non-Nintendo publishers to get the core audience, and something akin to Wii Sports and WiiFit to reach the casual audience.
But I don't see anything on the horizon coming right now.
Nintendo only has time till the next console releases because especially Microsoft is focusing on getting the average Joe to buy the Xbox not only for gaming but as an All-in-One entertainment center.

Frillen

Where do you live? Here in Norway I have yet to see an ad, ANYWHERE. There's pretty much zero marketing of the WiiU here in Norway.

if I do next weeks, I won't add a subtitle.
No offense intended, but hopefully dabra does it. Not because of subtitles, but because of formatting and comprehensiveness. (French chart, Nordic charts etc.)

-----

FIFA 13 Wii SKU = <3.5K i.e. all Wii U and Vita software below 3.5K.

AzaK

Does anyone know if there are Australian and New Zealand numbers floating around? I ask because obviously the Wii U scenario in the UK is dire and that means that the chances of relying on Nintendo UK for local versions (and NZGameshop for importing) aren't something on which I'd bet. But I know Nintendo of Australia, to an extent, operate as their own entity. Like how they released Animal Crossing on the GameCube and DS well before the European versions.

I only need the Wii U to get Nintendo titles to make the investment worthwhile (and that's why I'm less worried about it than, say, the Vita), but I'd still like to know there is a chance of getting those titles, seeing as the thing is region-locked.

Maybe I'll have to rely on the eShop.

I haven't seen any unfortunately. I have noticed that here in NZ however that Wii U's are cheaper than they were at launch.

If you're only worried about Nintendo games then I would be very surprised if we don't get them down here.

No offense intended, but hopefully dabra does it. Not because of subtitles, but because of formatting and comprehensiveness. (French chart, Nordic charts etc.).

I can change the format if that would help. these are haphazardly put together due to thinking that dabra would eventually come back to doing the charts.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
No offense intended, but hopefully dabra does it. Not because of subtitles, but because of formatting and comprehensiveness. (French chart, Nordic charts etc.).
By the time dabra normally posts the charts all discussion has been had in the previous thread. If a new thread can't be posted consistently when the new charts are up then maybe it is time for someone else to do it.

There's nothing to stop people posting the country charts for inclusion in the OP.

I can change the format if that would help. these are haphazardly put together due to thinking that dabra would eventually come back to doing the charts.
That would be useful. As already mentioned, for search and archival purposes a hosted screencap isn't the best of options.
By the time dabra normally posts the charts all discussion has been had in the previous thread. If a new thread can't be posted consistently when the new charts are up then maybe it is time for someone else to do it.

There's nothing to stop people posting the country charts for inclusion in the OP.
I tend to remember the thread generally came up promptly outside of the Christmas/NY period. Maybe it wasn't always dabra; I don't really have any issue with someone else posting if they use the same formatting conventions.

99%

What would happen to the Wiiu if MS and Sony did a price drop now?

I dont think Nintendo could recover from that.

What would happen to the Wiiu if MS and Sony did a price drop now?

I dont think Nintendo could recover from that.

At least in the US they pretty much did at Christmas with all the bundles, which led to the 360 demolishing the Wii U in sales. Sony also sold many more. I expected that to happen due to short supplies, but I also expected the Wii U to sell out of all the units it did ship. I was really wrong.

I wonder if Nintendo is doing any Wii U advertise in UK. NSMB U not even in the charts is a huge indication there's something VERY WRONG there.

People still complaining about the titles? Sheesh, where is the sense of humour/willingness to take pokes.

Every console gets them.

Nederlands:
1) Just Dance 4 (Wii)
2) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
3) FIFA 13 (PS3)
4) Far Cry 3 (PS3)
5) COD: Black Ops 2 (X360)
6) Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3)
7) Far Cry 3 (X360)
8) FIFA 13 (X360)
9) Skylanders Giants (Wii)
10) New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS)

http://dutchcharts.nl/game_charts.asp

France:
1) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
2) FIFA 13 (PS3)
3) Need for Speed: Most Wamted 2 (PS3)
4) COD: Black Ops 2 (X360)
5) Far Cry 3 (PS3)

http://www.sell.fr/top

madmackem

Im really not surprised at wii u not doing well here, deals on ps3 and xbox have been amazing this winter and software has been dropping price all over the shop. A more expensive console with more expensive less reduced software isnt doing them any favours too.

Sweden:
1) FIFA 13 (PS3)
2) Halo 4 (X360)
3) FIFA 13 (X360)
4) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
5) Gran Turismo 5 - Academy Edition (PS3)
6) Far Cry 3 (X360)
7) Far Cry 3 (PS3)
8) COD: Black Ops 2 (X360)
9) Assassin's Creed 3 (X360)
10) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
11) Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3)
12) NHL 13 (PS3)
13) Need for Speed: Most Wanted 2 (PS3)
14) The Sims 3: Seasons (PC)
15) Just Dance 4 (Wii)
16) Sony Online: Gametime Card (Card)
17) Far Cry 3 (PC)
18) NHL 13 (X360)
19) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (Wii)
20) WoW: Mists of Pandaria (PC)

Norway:
2) Far Cry 3 (PS3)
3) FIFA 13 (PS3)
4) PlayStation Network Voucher 200 NOK (Card)
5) Live Card NOK 400 (Card)
6) Need for Speed: Most Wanted 2 (PS3)
7) Far Cry 3 (X360)
8) Halo 4 (X360)
9) FIFA 13 (X360)
10) New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS)
11) Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3)
12) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
13) COD: Black Ops 2 (X360)
14) COD: Black Ops 2 (X360)
15) Gran Turismo 5 - Academy Edition (PS3)
16) The Sims 3: Seasons (PC)
17) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (Wii)
18) Just Dance 4 (Wii)
19) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (PS3)
20) Lego Lord of the Rings (PS3)

Finland:
2) PlayStation Network Card 20 Eur (Card)
3) NHL 13 (PS3)
4) Singstar Suomihuiput (PS3)
5) FIFA 13 (PS3)
7) Gran Turismo 5 - Academy Edition (PS3)
8) Sports Champions 2 (PS3)
9) Far Cry 3 (PS3)
10) The Sims 3: Supernatural (PC)
11) Battlefield 3 (PS3)
12) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
13) Ratchet & Clank QForce (PS3)
14) Far Cry 3 (X360)
15) Halo 4 (X360)
16) Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3)
17) The Sims 3: Seasons (PC)
18) NHL 13 (X360)
19) GTA IV (PS3)
20) PlayStation Network Card 50 Eur (Card)

Denmark:
1) FIFA 13 (PS3)
2) Far Cry 3 (PS3)
3) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
4) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (Wii)
5) Need for Speed: Most Wanted 2 (PS3)
6) Just Dance 4 (Wii)
7) Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3)
8) Hitman Absolution (PS3)
9) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
10) Far Cry 3 (PC)
11) COD: Black Ops 2 - Nuketown 2025 (X360)
12) Far Cry 3 (X360)
13) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (PS3)
14) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
15) Gran Turismo 5 - Academy Edition (PS3)
16) The Sims 3: Årstider - Limited Edition (PC)
17) FIFA 13 (X360)
18) PlayStation Network Card 200 KR (Card)
19) Football Manager 2013 (PC)
20) COD: Black Ops 2 (X360)

http://www.gfkhitlist.com/game.aspx

Yep. New PES at launch. And not the usual cheap multiplatform shit.

Brand might be a problem but we know the Football market is fucking demanding, they go after quality first and foremost. PES 13/14 need to bring it or they'll continue to be mostly ignored.

FIFA just became too good, probably the success story this gen we should all be happy about.
PES meanwhile basically for one year 'stopped' then never started again. It was really weird, it had such momentum behind it too.

I know what you are getting at here, but it is a little ludicrous to say the market go after quality first and foremost. Fifa ALWAYS sold better, even when it was an atrocious mess of a game and PES was the second coming. The football market always go after licenses and presentation, and that combination coupled with the now high quality gameplay has been the death knell for PES.

Just because PES doesn't sell as well as Fifa doesn't mean it hasn't been profitable for Konami. I remember reading a post that it has shipped a million + in Europe.

It's like saying if any fps series doesn't match Call of Duty numbers it should be killed.

Just because PES doesn't sell as well as Fifa doesn't mean it hasn't been profitable for Konami. I remember reading a post that it has shipped a million + in Europe.

It's like saying if any fps series doesn't match Call of Duty numbers it should be killed.

Good point. I imagine the budget is comparatively much lower (at least I sure hope so), so their targets are likely completely different now to EA's.

I keep seeing your posts and can I ask why you leave Wii U out of the top sellers lists? It's not a nice thing to do to the poor machine. It'll get insecurities.

LOL

New Scandinavian charts.. those previous was week 52, these are week 1.

Sweden:
1) FIFA 13 (PS3)
2) FIFA 13 (X360)
3) Halo 4 (X360)
4) Just Dance 4 (Wii)
5) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
6) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
7) Far Cry 3 (X360)
8) Far Cry 3 (PS3)
9) Assassin's Creed 3 (X360)
10) NHL 13 (PS3)
11) Gran Turismo 5: Academy Edition (PS3)
12) Just Dance 4 (Wii)
13) Need for Speed: Most Wanted 2 (PS3)
14) Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3)
15) COD: Black Ops 2 (X360)
16) Far Cry 3 (PC)
17) The Sims 3: Supernatural (PC)
18) NHL 13 (X360)
19) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (Wii)
20) PlayStation Network Voucher 200 SEK (Card)

Finland:
1) NHL 13 (PS3)
2) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
3) PlayStation Network Card 20 Eur (Card)
4) Singstar Suomihuiput (PS3)
5) FIFA 13 (PS3)
7) Gran Turismo 5: Academy Edition (PS3)
8) Battlefield 3 (PS3)
9) Sports Champions (PS3)
10) Far Cry 3 (PS3)
11) The Sims 3: Supernatural (PC)
12) Halo 4 (X360)
13) Ratchet & Clank: QForce (PS3)
14) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
15) NHL 13 (X360)
16) Angry Birds Star Wars (PC)
17) GTA IV (PS3)
18) Lego Lord of the Rings (PS3)
19) World Rally Championship 3 (PS3)
20) The Sims 3: Seasons (PC)

Denmark:
1) FIFA 13 (PS3)
2) Just Dance 4 (Wii)
3) Just Dance 4 (Wii)
4) Far Cry 3 (PS3)
5) Need for Speed: Most Wanted 2 (PS3)
6) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
7) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (Wii)
8) Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3)
9) Gran Turismo 5: Academy Edition (PS3)
10) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
11) PlayStation Network Card 200 KR (Card)
12) Medal of Honor: Warfighter (PS3)
13) COD: Black Ops 2 - Nuketown 2025 (PS3)
14) Hitman: Absolution (PS3)
15) New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS)
16) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
17) Football Manager 2013 (PC)
18) FIFA 13 (X360)
19) Far Cry 3 (X360)
20) Far Cry 3 (PC)

http://www.gfkhitlist.com/game.aspx

Not that I don't think the subtitled sale thread titles are funny, but will we start getting NPD subtitles too now? Anyway, does someone have a link to the pachter 675k US because that would actually be higher than I expected.

Top Bottom