• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 16, 2008

iceatcs said:
Yeah I hope we will get the number of total download for PSN from Sony. Maybe Gamers Day?
Sony will want to keep that card close to their chest. Remember retail won't be happy if it sold better on PSN. They'll be asking for an even bigger cut on first party games.
 
Raist said:
Ask and you shall receive.
Not really different from last week tho.


Honestly this chart is kind of useless, I doubt even the bottom 20 games all together will have outsold Mario Kart Wii. Uncharted lingered around there forever yet still hasn't broke 200k despite passing 100k along time ago. On the other hand Mario Kart has sold somewhere not all that shy of 200k this past week.
 

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
These european Wii sales are incredible.
I'm so glad to see PES being a hit there. It pretty much guarantees a sequel, and the thought of an enhanced version of this amazing game just makes me happy.
 

farnham

Banned
marc^o^ said:
These european Wii sales are incredible.
I'm so glad to see PES being a hit there. It pretty much guarantees a sequel, and the thought of an enhanced version of this amazing game just makes me happy.
plus that means that we will get cheap PES games the whole generation.. :D :D :D
 
Very good for GT5 Prologue considering the PSN release. Would it be crazy to assume retail sales account for roughly 60-70% of total sales? I guess there's no way to tell until Sony releases some numbers.
 

andthebeatgoeson

Junior Member
brain_stew said:
Honestly this chart is kind of useless, I doubt even the bottom 20 games all together will have outsold Mario Kart Wii. Uncharted lingered around there forever yet still hasn't broke 200k despite passing 100k along time ago. On the other hand Mario Kart has sold somewhere not all that shy of 200k this past week.
Any data is useless in the wrong context.

The UK videogames industry has recorded an all time high for first quarter software sales, with retailers selling 17.89 million units and earning GBP 418.4 million.

The figures, provided by analysts Chart-Track, show an increase of nearly a third on the results from December 30 to March 29 last year, when 15.62 million units were sold and GBP 317 million earned.

"We are thrilled to see the industry continue to grow at such a rapid rate and videogame sales continuing to rise," said Paul Jackson, director general of ELSPA.

The figures also revealed that Nintendo benefitted the most from the sales by securing 37 per cent of all units sold. This was helped by Sega's DS and Wii title Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, which sold the most units over the period.

"This period has seen more innovative and family-friendly titles doing well and it is clear that consumers of all ages have been lining up to buy them," Jackson added.

Chart-Track's findings come after those of North America's NPD group, which show that Nintendo sold the most Wii consoles ever this March, outside of the holiday months of November and December, selling 720,000 units.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/uk-retail-sells-17-89-million-games-in-q1
No real numbers to analyze how everyone is doing in relation to each other, except everyone else is below 37%. It all needs context.
 

Raist

Banned
brain_stew said:
Honestly this chart is kind of useless, I doubt even the bottom 20 games all together will have outsold Mario Kart Wii. Uncharted lingered around there forever yet still hasn't broke 200k despite passing 100k along time ago. On the other hand Mario Kart has sold somewhere not all that shy of 200k this past week.

This chart is not about actual sales numbers, but the relative importance of the games according to their position in the charts.
 
Wii Play has been out for 16 months, and it JUST. WON'T. DIE.

What's with that? It's a wonder they haven't done a "Wii Play Too".
 

Raist

Banned
Android18a said:
Wii Play has been out for 16 months, and it JUST. WON'T. DIE.

What's with that? It's a wonder they haven't done a "Wii Play Too".


Why would they bother ? People buy it because it's a cheap game that comes with an additionnal controller. They don't need a sequel.
 

iceatcs

Junior Member
Android18a said:
Wii Play has been out for 16 months, and it JUST. WON'T. DIE.

What's with that? It's a wonder they haven't done a "Wii Play Too".

Main reason I bought it because Wiimote. I think they are many other doing the same.
 
Android18a said:
Wii Play has been out for 16 months, and it JUST. WON'T. DIE.

What's with that? It's a wonder they haven't done a "Wii Play Too".

For most people, it's a second controller for their new system plus a bundle of little minigames to sweeten the deal. As long as the system is selling as well as it is, I expect Wii Play to carry on hovering around the charts.
 
Pai Pai Master said:
Very good for GT5 Prologue considering the PSN release. Would it be crazy to assume retail sales account for roughly 60-70% of total sales? I guess there's no way to tell until Sony releases some numbers.
There really is no way to estimate an actual breakdown between the retail and PSN version, but I would guess the PSN version didn't play a big role in GT5Ps sales, since its the exact same price as the boxed retail product and online purchases with credit card-only don't reach that many europeans.
 
Raist said:
Why would they bother ? People buy it because it's a cheap game that comes with an additionnal controller. They don't need a sequel.

True, but if it was designed with 2-4 players in mind, instead of the 2-players of the original, they'd still be able to pack it with a remote and it'd be sure to fly off the shelves.

It WOULD sell. People are buying Game Party and Carnival Games because they want MORE stuff like Wii Play. If only 20% of Wii Play owners went for a "Volume 2", it'd be worth it for Nintendo.
 

VonGak!

Banned
h3ro said:
Wow, GT5:p keeping up there... I thought everyone who wanted it would have gotten it at launch...

Same here, it must have a strong "word of mouth" (people seeing it being played at their friends).
 

f@luS

More than a member.
pswii60 said:
Shit, if people have any common sense. Which many don't. So, probably quite good.
i think the japanese game sold quite well through PSN , like 1/3....i may be wrong
 

Sharp

Member
brain_stew said:
Honestly this chart is kind of useless, I doubt even the bottom 20 games all together will have outsold Mario Kart Wii. Uncharted lingered around there forever yet still hasn't broke 200k despite passing 100k along time ago. On the other hand Mario Kart has sold somewhere not all that shy of 200k this past week.
The chart is weighted to help mitigate this problem, of course.
 

Arde5643

Member
Segata Sanshiro said:
SEGA continues its obscene domination.

Europe is SEGA-WII-land.

Fixed.

There's a host of ironies here that Sega is most successful on the most non-hardcore Ninty console.



Back to topic:
I'm glad to see that PES2008 keeps on charting - hopefully it will continue to have legs.
 

later

Member
Glad to see that they have restocked mario kart fast, and not had the typical drought they usually have.
 
I spotted an error, GT5P shows up at 2nd place in the charts, yet...

"The All Formats Top 5 consists of games by 4 different Japanese publishers (Nintendo, Sega, Sony and Konami) and with the exception of ‘Gran Turismo 5: Prologue’, down one place to No3, they are all selling the strongest on Nintendo Wii."

Wich one is it, 2nd or 3rd place for GT?
 

iceatcs

Junior Member
Copycat_Wannabe said:
Wich one is it, 2nd or 3rd place for GT?

"The All Formats Top 5 consists of games by 4 different Japanese publishers (Nintendo, Sega, Sony and Konami) and with the exception of ‘Gran Turismo 5: Prologue’, down one place to No3, they are all selling the strongest on Nintendo Wii."
 

kottila

Member
Copycat_Wannabe said:
I spotted an error, GT5P shows up at 2nd place in the charts, yet...

"The All Formats Top 5 consists of games by 4 different Japanese publishers (Nintendo, Sega, Sony and Konami) and with the exception of ‘Gran Turismo 5: Prologue’, down one place to No3, they are all selling the strongest on Nintendo Wii."

Wich one is it, 2nd or 3rd place for GT?

Both...Read from post 43 and onwards
 

DarkMehm

Member
Copycat_Wannabe said:
I spotted an error, GT5P shows up at 2nd place in the charts, yet...

"The All Formats Top 5 consists of games by 4 different Japanese publishers (Nintendo, Sega, Sony and Konami) and with the exception of ‘Gran Turismo 5: Prologue’, down one place to No3, they are all selling the strongest on Nintendo Wii."

Wich one is it, 2nd or 3rd place for GT?

That's the All Formats Chartreview. The two Mario & Sonic games are combined and thus are higher than GT5
 
HK-47 said:

I dunno, but it started falling from the charts quite a while ago, it seemed to have some awful supply problems for a while, it's never been bundled AFAIK and - unlike Sonic and the Secret Rings and others - it is still stuck in the higher price bracket for Wii titles. Perhaps that's just enough to stop it from exhibiting the bounce of other games that are hovering around the charts?
 
f@luS said:
i think the japanese game sold quite well through PSN , like 1/3....i may be wrong
We don't have any information. You probably think about Sony's expectations.

skinnyrattler said:
Any data is useless in the wrong context.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/uk-retail-sells-17-89-million-games-in-q1
No real numbers to analyze how everyone is doing in relation to each other, except everyone else is below 37%. It all needs context.
Well we do have some context. It's strange though. The 37% figure may only apply to full price software? Because otherwise Nintendo should be over 37%.

January:
Code:
FULL PRICE FORMAT SHARE (units) Nintendo: 37.1%
[U]1. Wii (21.2%)[/U]
2. PC (18.6%)
3. Xbox 360 (16.0%)
[U]4. DS (15.9%)[/U]
5. PS3 (14.9%)
6. PS2 (8.0%)
7. PSP (5.2%)
8. Mac (0.3%)

BUDGET FORMAT SHARE (units) Nintendo: 38.3%
[U]1. DS (28.7%)[/U]
2. PC (24.2%)
3. PS2 (16.9%)
4. Wii (10.1%)[/U]
5. Xbox 360 (9.3%)
6. PSP (9.1%)
7. Xbox (0.4%)
8. GBA (0.3%)

February:
Code:
FULL PRICE FORMAT SHARE (units) Nintendo: 41.1%
[U]Wii - 21.3%[/U]
[U]DS - 19.8%[/U]
Xbox 360 - 18.4%
PS3 - 17.1%
PC - 15.2%
PS2 - 4.1%
PSP - 3.8%
Mac - 0.3%

BUDGET FORMAT SHARE (units) Nintendo: 46.3%
[U]DS - 30.1%[/U]
PC - 23.7%
[U]Wii - 16.2%[/U]
PS2 - 13.0%
PSP - 8.9%
Xbox 360 - 6.9%
Xbox - 0.3%
GBA - 0.1%

March:
Code:
FULL PRICE FORMAT SHARE (units) Nintendo: 35.2%
Xbox 360 - 23.1%
[U]Wii - 18.5%[/U]
PC - 17.1%
[U]DS - 16.7%[/U]
PS3 - 16.4%
PSP - 4.2%
PS2 - 3.8%
Apple Mac - 0.2%

BUDGET FORMAT SHARE (units) Nintendo: 47.3%
[U]DS - 30.6%[/U]
PC - 21%
[U]Wii - 16.7%[/U]
PS2 - 12.3%
PSP - 7.3%
Xbox 360 - 6.2%
PS3 - 5.6%
Others - 0.3%
 

ziran

Member
Wii is absolutely dominating, in sw and hw in the UK and most of Europe (according to these and other recent reports)! Astounding numbers for MKWii, and I have to say it really does deserve the sales, and more, it's an amazing title!

As many keep saying, seeing Nintendo hold the UK home market, one they've never had anything close to even a competitive share in, is just incredible, and great to see :D
 

nli10

Member
marc^o^ said:
A friend saw a riot at a store this week-end, 2 couples fighting for the last Mario Kart copy. Crazy.

But this is even crazier: someone bought a copy at 101€ (=$160) today on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Mario-Kart-Wii-v...yZ148484QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Knowing most of the Mario Kart with the wheel are selling at over $100 on ebay.

Nintendo has been successful so far, but I'm starting to believe it was only the beginning.

Seeing as the game has been restocked in game stores with every Nintendo Shipment in the UK I think that people love to overreact... Unless the casuals are scared of games stores and Woolworths has run out?...

I'm still in shock that the game appears to have achieved Platinum status in 2 chart weeks (9 days) where as no Game Cube games ever reached that level (SMS and MK: DD got Gold). That's a bit of a turnaround.

For perspective, if it reduces by a doubly large amount next week it will have sold around 400k and be beating motorstorm and possibly even resistance. (presuming 180k,140k,80k) We'll only know when it reaches double platinum though...

Still, nice to celebrate this before GTA X360 destroys it! (Still not sure that Wii Fit stock can possibly beat Mario Kart).
 
Raist said:
This chart is not about actual sales numbers, but the relative importance of the games according to their position in the charts.

I know what the chart represents and the logic behind it. I just feel it doesn't give the top tier titles enough significance and that without sales numbers there's not much point even beginning to try and analyse the "data".
 
nli10 said:
Seeing as the game has been restocked in game stores with every Nintendo Shipment in the UK I think that people love to overreact... Unless the casuals are scared of games stores and Woolworths has run out?...

I'm still in shock that the game appears to have achieved Platinum status in 2 chart weeks (9 days) where as no Game Cube games ever reached that level (SMS and MK: DD got Gold). That's a bit of a turnaround.

For perspective, if it reduces by a doubly large amount next week it will have sold around 400k and be beating motorstorm and possibly even resistance. (presuming 180k,140k,80k) We'll only know when it reaches double platinum though...

Still, nice to celebrate this before GTA X360 destroys it! (Still not sure that Wii Fit stock can possibly beat Mario Kart).

wiifit is a shoe-in for next weeks number 1 though i'd expect mkwii to be number 2, wether wiifit sells more than mk did last week just depends how many copies ninty shoves out
 

Raist

Banned
brain_stew said:
I know what the chart represents and the logic behind it. I just feel it doesn't give the top tier titles enough significance and that without sales numbers there's not much point even beginning to try and analyse the "data".

For big titles' release week it's probably off, sure. But for "normal" weeks I think it should be quite representative. It's still an arbitrary thing, but it's all we have. I'm not convinced either that it's accurate, but it's still a way to give more weight to the top 5 titles.
 

Neomoto

Member
...I think we've long past the "Rise to Heaven" fase.. hotdamn. It's unreal how incredibly well Nintendo is doing this generation.
 

nli10

Member
frankie_baby said:
wiifit is a shoe-in for next weeks number 1 though i'd expect mkwii to be number 2, wether wiifit sells more than mk did last week just depends how many copies ninty shoves out

My point exactly. Of the games retailers I have dealings with none of them are expecting as many copies as they a) want and b) got of Mario Kart, but it'll be not only Number 1 but will generate UK wide headlines to boot.

I'm expecting lots of annoyed people on the message boards where I work shocked that they can't get it day 1 from their local supermarket, although that said other posters have reminded me that JP stock was focused on the family friendly stores so maybe they DO have more than 200k for launch, but it's distributed differently.

Either-way I'm sure the lovely folks at Chart Track will tip us off as to which had the higher launch week.
 

donny2112

Member
brain_stew said:
Honestly this chart is kind of useless, I doubt even the bottom 20 games all together will have outsold Mario Kart Wii.

The chart isn't trying to say "these are the sales numbers from last week." It is trying to say "here's a better representation of the amount of software sold per console last week in the Top 40 than just looking at the number of games that charted in the Top 40 and assuming they are all equal."

Raist said:
This chart is not about actual sales numbers, but the relative importance of the games according to their position in the charts.

Yeah, that. :)

brain_stew said:
I know what the chart represents and the logic behind it. I just feel it doesn't give the top tier titles enough significance and that without sales numbers there's not much point even beginning to try and analyse the "data".

Sometimes it'll give too much significance to the top titles and sometimes it'll give too little. It's only trying to be "closer" to reality, not match it. We can't match it without real numbers. :/
 
Top Bottom