• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 19, 2016

Sony had all of the DOOM marketing here in the UK. I saw quite a few commercials with the PS4 bumpers.

Also, Sony's next release is No Man's Sky. I know it's not first-party, but they're publishing it and it's going to do really well.

Watch this space.

barit

[Week 19, 2016] DOOM (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) < 75,000 / NEW (less than Wolfenstein: The New Order)

PlayStation 4 (56%)
Xbox One (38%)
PC (5%)

Ouch. MS losing all their advantages left and right. Even the beloved Bethesda marketing deals do nothing for them anymore. Funny sidenote: here in Germany the ads for DOOM were sponsored by Playstation so it can vary depending on region. And Bethesda went All-in with DOOM marketing. They had almost the same presence as Uncharted 4. Saw trailers for both at Civil War, saw a big booth at Saturn, saw TV ads as much as UC4. We'll see if it helped

Edit: Apparently the same for UK. Strange. Thought MS had the marketing deals for DOOM. Maybe only for NA?

Taker34

Banned
Ouch. MS losing all their advances left and right. Even the beloved Bethesda marketing deals don't do nothing anymore for them. Funny sidenote: here in Germany the ads for DOOM were sponsored by Playstation so it can vary depending on region. And Bethesda went All-in with DOOM marketing. They had almost the same presence as Uncharted 4. Saw trailers for both at Civil War, saw a big booth at Saturn, saw TV ads as much as UC4. We'll see if it helped

Edit: Apparently the same for UK. Strange. Thought MS had the marketing deals for DOOM. Maybe only for NA?

Yup that was so odd, seeing DOOM being marketed for Xbox One everywhere but in Germany it has PlayStation marketing. On the other hand it doesn't make sense to advertise a game for XO in Sonyland...

Kyonashi

Yup that was so odd, seeing DOOM being marketed for Xbox One everywhere but in Germany it has PlayStation marketing. On the other hand it doesn't make sense to advertise a game for XO in Sonyland...

Sony branding in the UK - this is London Underground:

nxnYl6D.png

Hasney

Knack!

I don't know actually. I think sales of Killzone, Driveclub, Infamous and Bloodborne are in the same vicinity. At this point, it could be R&C as well.

Nah, it has to be Knack. It still pops up in the charts when Game bundles it to get rid of even more stock.

Very surprised by the Doom split. With U4 out, PS4 buyers still bought more Doom copies by a large split.

And Ratchet continues to impress, despite a few key releases not harming it too dramatically.

So what's Sony's next big retail release, first-party wise? U4 will rake it in obviously, but looking to the future there appears to be a bit of a void in their release schedule.

Well, they are publishing No Man's Sky next month. Then I think the rest of their stuff should be later on in the year, such as Gravity Rush 2, Horizon, TLG if they're all not delayed, etc.

Chobel

[Week 19, 2016] DOOM (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS) < 75,000 / NEW (less than Wolfenstein: The New Order)

PlayStation 4 (56%)
Xbox One (38%)

PC (5%)

Note: 75,000 is just the upper limit based on Doom having a worse debut than Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Wow wow wow! An FPS game selling way better on PS4? I didn't see this one coming. What the hell happened?

Wow wow wow! An FPS game selling way better on PS4? I didn't see this one coming. What the hell happened?

What FPS don't sell better on PS4 nowadays?

I think the last shooter that did better on Xbox was PVZGW2, but not a FPS as such.

Titanfall 2 will for sure do better on XBone but BF1 and CoDIW will all sell better on PS4. Maybe not the gap of Doom however.

It looks like most 3rd party publishers choosing Sony for marketing partnership in EU nowadays

At this point its not even a choice for 3rd parties now (outwith UK). Not sure if this is happening already but I could see 3rd parties signing marketing rights in the US with MS but still marketing the rest of the world with Sony.

Bruno MB

Uncharted 4 = Halo 5 + Rise of the Tomb Raider

[Week 19, 2016] UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END (SONY COMPUTER ENT.) - 192,000 / NEW

[Week 44, 2015] HALO 5: GUARDIANS (MICROSOFT) - 150,000
[Week 46, 2015] RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE) - 42,000 / NEW

[Week 45, 2012] HALO 4 (MICROSOFT) - 336,000
[Week 10, 2013] TOMB RAIDER (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE) - 186,000 / NEW

What FPS don't sell better on PS4 nowadays?

I think the last shooter that did better on Xbox was PVZGW2, but not a FPS as such.

Titanfall 2 will for sure do better on XBone but BF1 and CoDIW will all sell better on PS4. Maybe not the gap of Doom however.

I will take that bet, UK and Worldwide Titanfall 2 will sell better on PS4. PS4 is the mulitplat console of choice. The only way I could see T2 sell more on Xbox One in the UK is if they had timed DLC or exclusive maps.

Rymuth

I wouldn't be so quick to make that bet. I expected DOOM to sell better on XBO but it didn't. Witcher 3 is also a franchise with its previous entry on Xbox and that surprised us as well.

EGM1966

It looks like most 3rd party publishers choosing Sony for marketing partnership in EU nowadays
Realistically anything else doesn't make sense. MS might pay more but ultimately they're just hurting their own IP.

With the region (including UK although by far less of a margin) buying more on PS and more recocognotion by association on PS in PAL for publishers IP it's really the only sensible choice.

Raist

Banned
Almost 200K for U4 huh? Not bad.

France Week 18

01 (01) 3DS YO-KAI WATCH
02 (02) PS4 RATCHET & CLANK
03 (NE) PS4 BATTLEBORN
04 (04) PS4 GRAND THEFT AUTO V
05 (03) PS4 CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS III

Chobel

I'm not sarcastic: "selling better" is not the surprising part, It's "selling way better" that is surprising.

56% vs 38%, PS4 sold 47% more. Usually it's less than 20%

Titanfall XB1 will outsell PS4 version. MS will get marketing rights and make it look exclusive again.

Are you talking about UK or worldwide? Worldwide will not even be close due to the PS4s console lead. UK will be closer, but a good case could be made that PS4 owners who had no access to the first game, will be more excited to try the series.

EGM1966

Titanfall XB1 will outsell PS4 version. MS will get marketing rights and make it look exclusive again.
I don't think MS getting rights is a given - at least in PAL (US sure I could see that).

I do think it will sell more on Xbox but only due to EA/Respawn making first exclusive (which was a bad choice in hindsight).

Of course the way trends are going I wouldn't be that shocked if we got a surprise come launch time.

I don't think MS getting rights is a given - at least in PAL (US sure I could see that).

I do think it will sell more on Xbox but only due to EA/Respawn making first exclusive (which was a bad choice in hindsight).

Of course the way trends are going I wouldn't be that shocked if we got a surprise come launch time.

It absolutely will be Xbox, its the Peter Moore effect, Xbox gets all of the big marketing from EA because of the relationship between them and EA.

All the biggest EA games - Battlefield 4/1, Fifa, Madden get Xbox marketing even through the PS4 sells more, they even get all the smaller ones - Dragon age, Mirrors edge, sony gets scraps from EA, no doubt Xbox will get the Mass Effect Marketing as well.

The only reason Sony got the Star Wars marketing from EA is because Disney are in charge of the marketing of Star Wars, and Sony have a big relationship with Disney.

Absolutely, i'm not sure why people think otherwise, on all accounts.

Because by the time Titanfall 2 releases the PS4 will have increased its market share over the Xbox One and all FPS (all games) sell better on PS4.

As I said in a previous post unless TF2 has exclusive maps or DLC first on Xbox One, TF2 will easily sell better in the UK on PS4.

Chris1

Are you talking about UK or worldwide? Worldwide will not even be close due to the PS4s console lead. UK will be closer, but a good case could be made that PS4 owners who had no access to the first game, will be more excited to try the series.
UK and NPD for sure. Worldwide is a maybe, not committing to that :p

That would be a gigantic fuck up if MS don't get marketing rights. MS has the money to secure it, and for a game in Titanfall's situation it makes more sense than any other game due to the exclusivity of the first one.

Plus EA and MS are buddy buddy these days.

Is this a good number for Doom?
It seems that reviews won't be great, but I hope word of mouth works for Doom. It's one of the best FPS games of these years and we need more games like that.

Is this a good number for Doom?
It seems that reviews won't be great, but I hope word of mouth works for Doom. It's one of the best FPS games of these years and we need more games like that.

It did less than TNO, so it's not a good debut. The word of mouth seems solid for DOOM, so it could have legs.

What is the 2nd best selling exclusive for Sony this gen?

In the UK, it looks like it'd be between Last of Us, Uncharted Collection and Driveclub. I don't have exact numbers but it looks like they have a similar lifetime sales. All bundled titles I believe.

I imagine that UC Collection will get a bump off the back of UC4

I predicted 185K for UC4. Really nice growth.

It is Ratchet and Clank still holding so well that needs a shoutout though.

Yep Ratchet is doing much better than anyone thought possible.

Sony are having a great year for exclusives already. With No Man's Sky they'll likely have three no1 games in the first half of the year.

Chris1

Worldwide is not a maybe, no multiplats sell better worldwide on the Xbox One. Even if TF2 got free maps only on Xbox One, it would not get close to PS4 sales.
How can you compare any current multiplat to Titanfall? completely different situations..

Of course every multiplat sells better on PS4 worldwide, they outsell the XB1 version in the only markets the XB1 is relevant too outside of a select few games.

If Sony doesn't step in with a bunch of cash, an EA game is going to have a little bit of Xbox marketing by default because of the EA Access early access feature. The Battlefield 1 trailer has that short "play early on Xbox One with EA Access" bit.

Marketing doesn't mean that it will outsell though. Older Assassin's Creeds always sold better on 360 in US/UK even though they all had PS3 exclusive features.

Top Bottom