• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 2, 2013

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I honestly can't see why, personally. Because it seems odd, perhaps? The same way it was odd to think of SEGA going third party?

Nintendo are having a torrid time as a console-making company in recent times, and I think it's very fair for people to start imaging them having a better time as a games-only maker.

Nintendo are in nowhere near the same position. They are entering this gen with two massive successes under their belt - the DS and the Wii.

Azuardo

Nintendo are in nowhere near the same position. They are entering this gen with two massive successes under their belt - the DS and the Wii.

Yeah, that's fine. I'm not here to argue and try and prove a point that Nintendo going third party is the most logical thing to do. They could happily and easily carry on as a hardware developer for quite some time to come.

It's just my own personal feelings in regards to being very unimpressed with what Nintendo has been offering the last couple of gens.

QaaQer

It's just my own personal feelings in regards to being very unimpressed with what Nintendo has been offering the last couple of gens.

I think thats where confusion is coming from, people not understanding that from a personal POV, Nintendo going third party would be great. And the reason is simple: if someone isn't going to buy Nintendo hardware, they only way they are going to get to play the games is if Nintendo releases them on other platforms. And like Cheesecake bobby wrote, that also would be the only way we'd ever get to see Nintendo games on cutting edge consumer hardware.

So yeah, personally I'd like to see Nintendo go third party.

jrDev

I'm guessing Nintendo has a backup plan for Europe lol...

Damn, Nintendo is going to go third party because of Europe? :-O

Hammer24

Banned
Well I wasn't going to say anything, but honestly imo having ridiculous subtitles for sales threads already starts them off in a bad way. It seems like sales threads at least should try an attempt to create civil and reasonable dicussion. Just my opinion. Its worked for a long time with NPD, Media Create, and these threads so I don't see why it should suddenly change.

Seconded!
Cheap sensationalism only drags the fanboys into otherwise fine sales age threads.

m.i.s.

Banned
I don't think a WiiHD would have done any good. That would've muddied the brand into an iterative model

I do think a DS lite to DSi type transition would have worked for the Wii also. A Wii+ perhaps - replacing the original Wii which Nintendo could rapidly EOL as stocks dwindle. Bear in mind, the original Wii - even with a moribund software schedule - still sells several hundred thousand units during November and December as families get together for the holidays. All Nintendo needed to do was re-ignite interest with the enthusiasts for the period outside of the holidays with HD Nintendo titles, 3rd party downports and key 2nd party titles.

Road

Hmm, re: home consoles, the total number is similar isn't it?

PS2 was 10m x 22m (UK x Japan). GC was like 1.5m x 4m. PS1 was ~7m x 19m.

Have no idea about the hardware sales this generation, I guess the Wii is at 8 million x 13 million??? PS3 5m x 9m???

UK market grew a lot, but hardware sales are still considerably lower (63 million people against 127 million after all).

AOC83

Banned
PS2 was 10m x 22m (UK x Japan). GC was like 1.5m x 4m. PS1 was ~7m x 19m.

Have no idea about the hardware sales this generation, I guess the Wii is at 8 million x 13 million??? PS3 5m x 9m???

UK market grew a lot, but hardware sales are still considerably lower (63 million people against 127 million after all).

UK has very high 360 sales and high console sales (probably higher than Japan if you add all platforms) in general. Japan has the handhelds though.

Add in the 360 and the overall total is close to equal.

Road

UK has very high 360 sales and high console sales (probably higher than Japan if you add all platforms) in general. Japan has the handhelds though.

Add in the 360 and the overall total is close to equal.

The total is close this generation probably, but I was talking mostly on a system by system basis. The Xboxes are the obvious exceptions as they actually sell much more in the UK than in Japan (I think the Mega Drive/Genesis is another exception).

PaulLFC

I'd be surprised if it was close to 100k yet given its sales the last 3 weeks or so where Nintendoland hasn't even been in the charts. Considering this week you could reach 16th place selling only 4,500 units, it's a fair assumption that it wouldn't take many sales to reach 40th place on the top 40. Nintendoland didn't do that, and the Premium is, or at least was, the best-selling SKU by quite some distance.

AzaK

Is there any one here actually kind of pleased to see the Wii U failing here?

Hear me out.

I've been a lifelong Nintendo gamer. Grew up on the things. Loved my SNES and was pretty much a fanboy through my teens, getting the N64 and GC when they came out.

But I've been completely dissatisfied with the direction they've taken with these Wii consoles and it's simply not what I wanted from a personal standpoint. I've always had other consoles, too, like PS1, PS2 and Dreamcast, but Nintendo was where it was always at for me. But since the release of the Wii, I've become completely dependent on my PS3 for the last 3-4 years. For me, it offers exactly what I want in terms of gaming.

I can't speak for everyone, and I suppose it's also a case of "why should Nintendo do what I want them to do?"... but for a guy that's grown up on Nintendo and was a fanboy for years, to now be in this case where I am sick of the poor direction they have gone with the Wii and Wii U, it's a real shame. I sort of want the Wii U to become a disaster in the hope that it might just give Nintendo a real kick up the bloody arse and get their act together. Again, I can't speak for all Nintendo fans, but I personally wish they would deliver like they used to. As it is, they've turned me, once a huge fan of Nintendo, completely away from them, and instead gets game time from their competitors. It almost feels like they don't give a shit about their older fans who grew up on them these days.

Does that make sense to any one? I know it sounds selfish. Just because I don't like the direction they've gone, why should they listen to me? But all I know is that they've turned a once-huge Nintendo fan away from them and will have a very hard time winning me over. There must be other once-Nintendo fans that feels similar?

And apologies if this has slightly gone off-topic. I will edit if I need to. Just wanted to get my frustration out.
I'm similar. While the Wii generation gave me some great gaming experience like Zelda, Metroid and Zack and Wiki it really was just a 'sometimes' machine. The lack of games I wanted had me get a PS3. The Wii U is looking like it might be similar. A Nintendo machine with the odd 1 or two games that I like from others. I want the chance to play GTA V, Tomb Raider and then Watch_Dogs and other next gen titles but the Western third party state is looking shameful. Essentially it might end up with me getting another next gen system and spending my money there.

Graphical power doesn't bother me too much but shit like tying games to your console is just unforgivable. There is no acceptable reason to do that. Selling my machine and someone else gets the games is just shit.

I do also have a problem with Nintendos attitude to those with older receivers with optical. They should have included it because lots of receivers are still like that. They are not something people replace often.

So yes I would be happy to see them fail miserably and maybe it'd teach them a few lessons and they'd change their approach a bit.

I honestly don't have any issues with Nintendo's approach to graphical fidelity. On the other hand, they deserve to fail miserably for their poorly all around attempt at an account system, abandoning the Wii and its gamers who bought it into the idea, and their refusal to come up with a universal emulator for old games forcing people to buy things over and over and over. So I hope they fix their issues soon. Otherwise I'm indifferent to Wii U's failings.

The total is close this generation probably, but I was talking mostly on a system by system basis. The Xboxes are the obvious exceptions as they actually sell much more in the UK than in Japan (I think the Mega Drive/Genesis is another exception).

Thats a pretty poor way of looking at things i think, taking out such a large portion of the UK markets hardware sales doesn't seem to be a good way of comparing market to market.

The home console market, the one the WiiU is releasing in and doing terribly in, should be looked at as a whole.

Should we compare UK vita sales to the Japanese handheld market but exclude the 3ds from the equation to make things look better for sony?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Anticipation from Gamona: Only Console German Top 10 for Week 2

01./01.[PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (Activision)
02./02.[PS3] FIFA 13 (Electronic Arts)
03./04.[PS3] Far Cry 3 (Ubisoft)
04./03.[Wii] Just Dance 4 (Ubisoft)
05./07.[3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo)
06./06.[360] Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (Activision)
07./05.[PS3] Assassin's Creed 3 Bonus Edition (Ubisoft)
08./RE.[Wii] New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo)
09./RE.[3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo)
10./RE.[360] Halo 4 (Microsoft)

Bumhead

Banned
Wanting Nintendo to go third party is stupid, sorry but it is.
There's no justification for that unless you hate them.

There's plenty of justification for it. For example, I'd absolutely love to be able to play Nintendo games on a high end PC, and I know people who would like to play a handful of Nintendo games but absolutely won't buy new hardware to do it. It'd be nice for everybody to be able to play Nintendo games without that hardware barrier of entry in the way.

I'm only playing devil's advocate, mind. I don't actually expect or anticipate Nintendo going third party. But whining and crying about people who do hating Nintendo is absolutely hysterical.

Yet in recent history the last 2-3 years of the Wii have been pretty bad, the Wii U is not looking good, and the 3DS is only doing "okay" imo, in the West. Nintendo has not had any gangbusters hardware in the last 2-3 years now which is a long time.

Not that I really have a opinion on Nintendo as third party. I'm convinced it ruined Sega so I dont expect it to work out.

lherre

Accurate
Well I don't know where to put this (maybe in the week 1 thread).

If you remember I spoke about the situation here in Spain and the comments that some friends told me about wiiu sales (2-3 k week).

I have more data about ther first January week (the biggest week here in Spain because "reyes magos" celebration). This data comes from GFK.

- Mario Wii U and Hardware number is around 6700 units. In Spain that week there were a promotion by nintendo, you can pick a wii u and get Mario U adding only 10 more euros. So it's reasonable to think that the hardware number is almost that number in the better case.

- The second highest was Just Dance 4 with something around 1700 units (the problem here is that a big number of this purchases were returned to the shops because people thought that the game was for Wii, this is verified with some shops).

- Next game was around 700 units (no data about the name).

The second highest was Just Dance 4 with something around 1700 units (the problem here is that a big number of this purchases were returned to the shops because people thought that the game was for Wii, this is verified with some shops).

Yikes. Isn't there a JD4 Wii? I assumed that would be cheaper.

How big is the spain market?
Total annual HW is around 2M units, or was in 2010 and 2011 at least. Total SW was ~15M. Has probably seen declines though.

So on average 35-40K hardware per week. Maybe 250-280K software (EDIT: oh, I think that includes PC software too). Although lherre indicated this was a particularly strong week for the year.

Total annual HW is around 2M units, or was in 2010 and 2011 at least. Total SW was ~15M. Has probably seen declines though.

So on average 35-40K hardware per week. Maybe 250-280K software (EDIT: oh, I think that includes PC software too). Although lherre indicated this was a particularly strong week for the year.

Yikes!!

evangd007

There's plenty of justification for it. For example, I'd absolutely love to be able to play Nintendo games on a high end PC, and I know people who would like to play a handful of Nintendo games but absolutely won't buy new hardware to do it. It'd be nice for everybody to be able to play Nintendo games without that hardware barrier of entry in the way.

I'm only playing devil's advocate, mind. I don't actually expect or anticipate Nintendo going third party. But whining and crying about people who do hating Nintendo is absolutely hysterical.

Thing is most people who want Nintendo to go third party don't want that so they can play Nintendo games on other hardware. They don't care a lick about Nintendo's software. They just want them "out of the way" in the hardware race.

Sweden:
1) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
2) FIFA 13 (PS3)
3) FIFA 13 (X360)
4) The Sims 3: Seasons (PC)
5) Just Dance 4 (Wii)
6) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
7) Far Cry 3 (PS3)
8) PlayStation Network Voucher 200 SEK (Card)
9) Assassin's Creed 3 (X360)
10) Halo 4 (X360)
11) NHL 13 (PS3)
12) Gran Turismo 5: Academy Edition (PS3)
13) Need for Speed: Most Wanted 2 (PS3)
14) NHL 13 (X360)
15) Sony Online: Gametime Card (Card)
16) COD: Black Ops 2 (X360)
17) Just Dance 4 (Wii)
18) Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3)
19) Max Payne 3: Nordic Edition (PS3)
20) Far Cry 3 (X360)

Norway:
1) PlayStation Network Voucher 200 NOK (Card)
2) Live Card NOK 400 (Card)
3) FIFA 13 (PS3)
4) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
5) Need for Speed: Most Wanted 2 (PS3)
6) Far Cry 3 (PS3)
7) FIFA 13 (X360)
8) New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS)
9) PlayStation Network Voucher 200 NOK (Card)
10) Far Cry 3 (X360)
11) Lego Lord of the Rings (PS3)
12) Halo 4 (X360)
13) Battlefield 3 (PS3)
14) Gran Turismo 5: Academy Edition (PS3)
15) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
16) Farming Simulator 2013 (PC)
17) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (PS3)
18) Just Dance (Wii)
19) Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3)
20) Hitman: Absolution (PS3)

Finland:
1) NHL 13 (PS3)
2) PlayStation Network Voucher 20 EUR (Card)
3) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
4) Singstar Suomihuiput (PS3)
5) Gran Turismo 5: Academy Edition (PS3)
6) FIFA 13 (PS3)
7) Need for Speed: Most Wanted 2 (PS3)
8) Far Cry 3 (PS3)
9) Sports Champions 2 (PS3)
10) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
11) Max Payne 3 - Nordic Edition (PS3)
12) NHL 13 (X360)
13) Battlefield 3 (PS3)
14) PlayStation Network Voucher 50 EUR (Card)
15) Ratchet & Clank QForce (PS3)
16) Angry Birds Star Wars (PC)
17) Halo 4 (X360)
18) FIFA 13 (X360)
19) The Sims 3: Supernatural (PC)
20) Far Cry 3 (X360)

Denmark:
1) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
2) FIFA 13 (PS3)
3) Just Dance 4 (Wii)
4) Far Cry 3 (PS3)
5) PlayStation Network Voucher 200 KR (Card)
6) Just Dance 4 (Wii)
7) WoW Game Card 60 Days (Card)
8) Need for Speed: Most Wanted 2 (PS3)
9) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (Wii)
10) COD: Black Ops 2 - Nuketown 2025 (PS3)
11) COD: Black Ops 2 (X360)
12) Assassin's Creed 3 (PS3)
13) Far Cry 3 (PC)
14) Gran Turismo 5: Academy Edition (PS3)
15) Skylanders Giants - Starter Pack (PS3)
16) The Sims 3: Monte Vista (PC)
17) FIFA 13 (X360)
18) Hitman: Absolution (PS3)
19) COD: Black Ops 2 (PS3)
20) The Sims 3: Supernatural (PS3)

http://www.gfkhitlist.com/game.aspx

Hah. We are even buying Sports Champions 2 here in Finland. Damn we really are PlayStation country (weirdly enough most of my friends have X360 instead of PS3 lol)

Brazilian sales charts for 2012

Confira os games mais vendidos para Xbox 360 em 2012:
1- "Pro Evolution Soccer 2012";
2- "Pro Evolution Soccer 2013";
3- "FIFA 13";
4 - "Kinect Sports: Season Two";
5 - "Call of Duty: Black Ops II";
6 - "Gears of War 3";
7 - "Dance Central 2";
8 - "Dance Central";
9 - "Assassin's Creed";
10 - "Kinect Star Wars".

Confira os jogos mais vendidos para o PlayStation 3 em 2012:
1 - "Pro Evolution Soccer 2013";
2 - "Pro Evolution Soccer 2012";
3 - "FIFA 13";
4 - "Call of Duty: Black Ops II";
5 - "FIFA 12";
6 - "God of War: Collection" ;
7 - "Grand Theft Auto IV";
8 - "God of War III";
9 - "Assassin's Creed";
10 - "Assassin's Creed II".

Confira os jogos mais vendidos para o Wii em 2012:
1 - "Just Dance 3";
2 - "Pro Evolution Soccer 2012";
3 - "Just Dance 4";
4 - "Donkey Kong Country Returns";
5 - "New Super Mario Bros Wii";
6 - "Mario Party 9";
7 - "Wii Sports";
8 - "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess";
9 - "Super Mario Galaxy 2";
10 - "Mario Kart Wii (Jogo + Volante)".

Ar least PES is still selling somewhere lol.

Miles X

I believe, that's actually turned into a bad thing for Nintendo. 3DS and especially WiiU are nowhere near as exotic and fresh as they would have been without Wii and DS existing.

Wii and DS didn't acquire a user base that would naturally progress and stay in video gamers. They were essentially a quick fix and a total abandonment of video gamers meaning they're going to have to start from scratch. (After WiiU I mean) 3DS to a lesser extent in all of this.

Burai

shitonmychest57
Thing is most people who want Nintendo to go third party don't want that so they can play Nintendo games on other hardware. They don't care a lick about Nintendo's software. They just want them "out of the way" in the hardware race.

That's just not true at all. I didn't mind so much with the Wii cos it was cheap, launched with Zelda and no-one else was doing anything like the Wiimote at the time.

But the Wii U is £300, has no compelling control gimmick, no compelling launch games, little software on the horizon, no announced games that really justify the expensive Gamepad, no third party support and a trickle of Nintendo games.

It's the first time where I can look at a Nintendo console and struggle to justify its existence. And I'm someone who bought their last three consoles at launch.

jvm

Gamasutra.
UK

Week ending 12 January 2013: £10.7mm, 488,033 units.

Full year results:

Software: £1.05B
Hardware: £454mm
Accessories: £418mm

Rank in software units sold: Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PC, NDS, 3DS, Vita, Wii U
Rank in software value sold: Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PC, 3DS, NDS, Vita, Wii U

Software marketshare by units: EA, Activision-Blizzard, Ubisoft, Nintendo, Microsoft, Sega, Warner Bros, Take-Two, THQ, Square-Enix
Software marketshare by value: EA, Activision-Blizzard, Ubisoft, Nintendo, Microsoft, Take-Two, Sega, Warner Bros, Square-Enix, THQ

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
UK

Week ending 12 January 2013: £10.7mm, 488,033 units.

Full year results:

Software: £1.05B
Hardware: £454mm
Accessories: £418mm

Rank in software units sold: Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PC, NDS, 3DS, Vita, Wii U
Rank in software value sold: Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PC, 3DS, NDS, Vita, Wii U

Software marketshare by units: EA, Activision-Blizzard, Ubisoft, Nintendo, Microsoft, Sega, Warner Bros, Take-Two, THQ, Square-Enix
Software marketshare by value: EA, Activision-Blizzard, Ubisoft, Nintendo, Microsoft, Take-Two, Sega, Warner Bros, Square-Enix, THQ
Wii U in full-on beast mode!

Top Bottom