• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 38, 2013

iceatcs

Huh, didn't expect PS3 share to fall from 4 to 5. Effect of digital sales?

Could be, but it's more likely 360 over PS3 the install base.

Think about it, if it was near every week that 360 has sold more therefore the between gap got bigger than before.

It was said at E3. Here's a link to GS reporting that fact.

Man, I really wish he'd never said that. It's brought nothing but negativity from many people.

Well the fact that he claims the average Vita owner purchased more than 10 games could mean tons of things. Either the Vita software sales actually are amazingly well (in terms of Tie Ratio) or they are doing some kind of creative maths there. I'm pretty sure that no system ever had a tie ratio that was even remotely close to 10 after just being on the market for a bit more than a year.
Is there free and or really content on PSN for Vita?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Harvest Moon UK recent history

Harvest Moon DS - April 13th, 2007 - out of Overall top 40, 13th in DS specific chart
Harvest Moon DS: Island of Happiness - December 12th, 2008 - out of DS specific top 50
Harvest Moon DS: Sunshine Islands - December 3rd, 2010 - out of DS specific top 40
Harvest Moon DS: Grand Bazaar - September 30th, 2011 - 25th in DS specific top 40
Harvest Moon: The Tale of Two Towns - June 29th, 2012 - 26th in DS specific top 40 / 7th in 3DS specific top 10

Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning - 16th in the Individual top 40, 1st in the 3DS specific top 10

This is by far the biggest debut in the last 6 years for an Harvest Moon title in UK, by far.
What's even better for PQube is that the game far outdid their expectations: it went sold out the same day it released, while peaking at 49.99 Pounds of price (its regular price on Amazon is 22.99), and now there are just three copies available, at 39.99. Before that, it was impossible to buy, not even from third party sellers.

This is why, in the other thread, I said that crap can do wonders for your products XD

SmokyDave

Well the fact that he claims the average Vita owner purchased more than 10 games could mean tons of things. Either the Vita software sales actually are amazingly well (in terms of Tie Ratio) or they are doing some kind of creative maths there. I'm pretty sure that no system ever had a tie ratio that was even remotely close to 10 after just being on the market for a bit more than a year.
It's a hardcore system with a very enthusiastic userbase. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the tie ratio is totally legit. I have 60 Vita games and I'm probably not even in the top 20 for the Vita thread. We're never going to know though, so make your own assumptions.

Edit: Just for the double whammy, each and every one of my games was purchased through the PSN store with the sole exception of Senran Kagura.

Harvest Moon UK recent history

Harvest Moon DS - April 13th, 2007 - out of Overall top 40, 13th in DS specific chart
Harvest Moon DS: Island of Happiness - December 12th, 2008 - out of DS specific top 50
Harvest Moon DS: Sunshine Islands - December 3rd, 2010 - out of DS specific top 40
Harvest Moon DS: Grand Bazaar - September 30th, 2011 - 25th in DS specific top 40
Harvest Moon: The Tale of Two Towns - June 29th, 2012 - 26th in DS specific top 40 / 7th in 3DS specific top 10

Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning - 16th in the Individual top 40, 1st in the 3DS specific top 10

This is by far the biggest debut in the last 6 years for an Harvest Moon title in UK, by far.
What's even better for PQube is that the game far outdid their expectations: it went sold out the same day it released, while peaking at 49.99 Pounds of price (its regular price on Amazon is 22.99), and now there are just three copies available, at 39.99. Before that, it was impossible to buy, not even from third party sellers.

This is why, in the other thread, I said that crap can do wonders for your products XD

I'm mildly pleased for Harvest Moon but it's still annoying how long we have to wait for these games to come over. Feels like one the franchises still stock in the SNES/PS1 era of EU localisations.

For Rayman Wii U is again the best selling SKU (32%) and Vita is having also a good share - 12%. Splinter Cell's Wii U share is above the usual 1% and also NFSWU had a bump (and a great share for Vita too).

Still nothing spectacular, though.

Good news for Rayman. Surprised to see Splinter Cell U above 1%, same with NSFU, although not great, much better then they have been previously performing.

It's a hardcore system with a very enthusiastic userbase. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the tie ratio is totally legit. I have 60 Vita games and I'm probably not even in the top 20 for the Vita thread. We're never going to know though, so make your own assumptions.

Pretty sure that every hardware has its hardcore users, but I just don't see why Vita would be a "real" hardcore system. I'd also say it's not unsuccessful enough for the hardcore crowd to really influence the tie ratio enough (it has sold already.. dunno 5 millions worldwide maybe?).

Serenity

Edit: Just for the double whammy, each and every one of my games was purchased through the PSN store with the sole exception of Senran Kagura.

Same here I have like 20 vita games and only 3 retail. People like to call vita niche and failure so wouldn't that mean only the hardest of the hardcore own one thus a high attach rate doesn't seem far fetched. But some just can't stand any positive metrics for their rivals lol.

Nunchucks

Banned
Vita just seems to have a good amount of niche titles that appeal to certain people and they buy the games. Every Vita user I've met (including myself) has 10+ games for it. I have like, 4 games for my 3DS, for comparison.

$h@d0w

Vita GAF had a spreadsheet of PSN IDs that also had a running total of average games owned - what ever happened to that?

I know it's not representative of the wider audience but it will be an interesting statistic nevertheless.

I have 40+ Vita games.

The Vita hasn't proven a high digital sales rate for titles also available at retail.

It did when Ubisoft went out of their way to highlight high digital sales of Assassin's Creed Liberation during their conference call earlier this year. I believe they said it was something like 30% digital of the 600 000+ copies of the game sold at the time. It might not be most, but that's a big slice of the pie.

or the Wii U

then again everyone seems to forget that

They do. Nintendo should probably advertise it more.

Ty4on

PSPlus maybe, software is cheap and the (small) userbase buys a lot of games. There are tons of 5-15$ PSP/PS1 games on the store.

Systems can have amazing tie ins when buying games is cheap and easy. Just look at mobile.

It did when Ubisoft went out of their way to highlight high digital sales of Assassin's Creed Liberation during their conference call earlier this year. I believe they said it was something like 30% digital of the 600 000+ copies of the game sold at the time. It might not be most, but that's a big slice of the pie.

They do. Nintendo should probably advertise it more.

20% i believe

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I for one am not surprised at the high amount of games sold pr. Vita. It's a niche machine for fans, at least for the time being, with tons of affordable stuff in the psn store.

Nintendo also went out of their way to highlight the high digital software sales for Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem. That doesn't mean it suddenly makes sense to extrapolate from that and use it for every other release.

PSPlus maybe, software is cheap and the (small) userbase buys a lot of games. There are tons of 5-15$ PSP/PS1 games on the store.

Systems can have amazing tie ins when buying games is cheap and easy. Just look at mobile.
Exactly.

No not exactly. AC3L sold over a 100K on PSN around of 20% of all total sales. But keep saying useless crap that you can´t prove so you could feel better.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the one making up crap here. I said I'd be very surprised if Vita games with a retail version sold more digitally (as that nebulous 60% figure of Tretton is being used by people in this thread to suggest as the case), and that AC3L percentage you provided certainly adds evidence to the pile that I am right in my stance. 20% of AC3L is still significantly less copies sold than at retail.

Wynnebeck

Banned
All of you poo-pooing digital sales better not take a step in the Media Create threads and suggest anything else seeing as how MH4 made up a significant portion of sales from just the eShop sales. Digital sales are legit. Get over it.

Tizoc

Because someone deemed it to be relevant, unaware of the shit-storm that inevitably follows.

Do you mind explaining why it'd cause such an issue if digital sales were discussed at least in a thread such the PAL Charts or Media Create please?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
All of you poo-pooing digital sales better not take a step in the Media Create threads and suggest anything else seeing as how MH4 made up a significant portion of sales from just the eShop sales. Digital sales are legit. Get over it.

13% digital sales with more than half of these being from download cards is trully significant

And even in that case the retail version sold significantly more. Digital sales matter of course, but they do not matter enough to be valid excuses for poor retail sales data atm. This is the argument I'm addressing, straw man will get you nowhere.

It's not a matter of poo-pooing digital sales - if by that you mean pretending they don't exist.
They exist. The presence of digital has obviously affected retail.

But they and their impact are generally unquantifiable.

And unless there's actually some sort of data to draw from for actual titles (and no Jack Tretton's nebulous statement isn't that), they really shouldn't be brought up as if they mitigate abysmal sales of any given title or for any platform's software in general.

Spiegel

None.

It's pretty obvious that Tretton was saying 60% of total Vita software sales are digital downloads.

Vita software includes retail games and PSN games, not PS/PSP classics.

And it's not that surprising, considering there probably have been more PSN-only games than retail games released

SmokyDave

Do you mind explaining why it'd cause such an issue if digital sales were discussed at least in a thread such the PAL Charts or Media Create please?
Because there are no concrete numbers, so it's just seen as baseless speculation.

because they render NPD, PAL, etc sales threads increasingly useless.
Indeed. It'll be interesting to see what happens if / when digital overtakes retail, assuming trackers can't / won't provide any data. The top 20 may not actually be the top 20.

QaaQer

It's not a matter of poo-pooing digital sales - if by that you mean pretending they don't exist.
They exist. The presence of digital has obviously affected retail.

But they and their impact are generally unquantifiable.

And unless there's actually some sort of data to draw from for actual titles (and no Jack Tretton's nebulous statement isn't that), they really shouldn't be brought up as if they mitigate abysmal sales of any given title or for any platform's software in general.

but they do mitigate, hence they are brought up. It does make shitting on platforms and laughing at game sales harder, but that is no reason to ignore them.

None.

It's pretty obvious that Tretton was saying 60% of total Vita software sales are digital downloads.

Vita software includes retail games and PSN games, not PS/PSP classics.

while you could be right it doesn't say he's excluding psp/ps1 games so you could be wrong

Tizoc

Because there are no concrete numbers, so it's just seen as baseless speculation.
...but then how can some devs that release games on Steam, etc. be able to track how much their titles sold?
Surely there's a way to track how much digital copies a game has sold, if retail can be counted up to the actual last digit.

but they do mitigate, hence they are brought up. It does make shitting on platforms and laughing at game sales harder, but that is no reason to ignore them.
If someone can actually point to something for a particular title to show that digital sales mitigate poor software sales at physical retail, more power to them. More info is always welcome.

And is there a broad acceptance that digital sales have diminished physical retail, sure. And do people acknowledge that platforms these days likely make a reasonable portion of their software sales on digital storefronts, sure.

But the thread is about physical retail.

And if one is simply bringing up unquantifiable "digital sales" without anything substantive to accompany it, then I don't really see what exactly that adds.

"Well I bought the Wonderful 101 on the eShop, I bet tons of people did. It probably did way better than people think."
"Sure the Vita's only sold 240K software this year through August in the UK at retail, but really that's more like 500K because of digital and Jack Tretton."
"Well, the 360 version of GTA may have sold better in stores, but we don't know when you factor in digital. The PS3 might be the better selling SKU."

Road

...but then how can some devs that release games on Steam, etc. be able to track how much their titles sold?
Surely there's a way to track how much digital copies a game has sold, if retail can be counted up to the actual last digit.

We, silly people on internet forums, don't have numbers.

Developers, publishers, vendors and hardware makers obviously have the numbers for digital sales.

QaaQer

All that info exists and is proprietary and valuable. Why would they release that publicly? So forum-types like us can argue about it?

RalchAC

Pretty sure that every hardware has its hardcore users, but I just don't see why Vita would be a "real" hardcore system. I'd also say it's not unsuccessful enough for the hardcore crowd to really influence the tie ratio enough (it has sold already.. dunno 5 millions worldwide maybe?).

Simple. Smaller install base, the proportion casual/hardcore is inclined towards the later. More sales = more casuals. And they evidently dilute the average.

France - First Week
GTA IV (2008) - 320K

GTA V (2013) - 1.1M

PS3 - 850K (77%)

360 - 250K (23%)

gta-5-les-chiffres-en-france-ME3050183404_1.jpg

FDC1

PS3 is king in France and all the advertising has been done for the PS3 version only. It's like the 360 version didn't exist.

GTAV Sales UK+FR
All - 3.35M
PS3 - 1.82M
360 - 1.53M

French attach rates (based on HW LTD through June):
PS3 - 18.6%
360 - 8.0%

Almost 1 in 5 PS3 owners bought GTAV in its first week on sale.

Top Bottom