• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Luckey to appear on HTC Vive stage at TGS

modsbox

Could this guy be any more of a douche if he tried? Wow.

As a PS VR owner in theory I should be ambivalent, but since I love VR there’s no way this is a good thing for its part of the industry. This guy has singlehandedly ruined the potential for one and now possibly two of only 3 real players for VR. Ugh.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
How much is Japan aware of our current problems?

Japan (and probably the rest of the world) don’t really care about US current problems.

So did HTC hire him, or is he just presenting a game he is self-funding?

Also, wtf, yosp followed Alex Jones?!

He’s just one of the guest speakers which includes Tetsuya Mizuguchi and other developers/CEO.

onanie

Japan (and probably the rest of the world) don't really care about US current problems.

He's just one of the guest speakers which includes Tetsuya Mizuguchi and other developers/CEO.

Usually, a public entity would not publicly host a figure that harbors socially undesirable views it disagrees with, unless it is a specific event to address those views.

CHC

The only intersting thing he could do on stage would be to catch a beer bottle with the center of his forehead at this point.

Dude's been an unapologetic asshole since his company took off, and has pretty much managed to merge the worst traits of a sad internet troll with those of a greedy walled-garden-minded tech CEO.

Mr. F

Banned
is it some kind of loophole that he's not violating terms of his ousting? I seriously doubt a company as big as facebook would let someone go without some kind of insane noncompete clause

zashga

Seems pointless, but he's famous and I guess probably won't be booed in Japan. Would be funny if this promoted Valve to make a statement disavowing involvement with Palmer Luckey, but Valve doesn't do anything without a lawsuit, so that probably won't happen.

ArtHands

Usually, a public entity would not publicly host a figure that harbors socially undesirable views it disagrees with, unless it is a specific event to address those views.

I dont think Japan care about what view he is having. Even YOSP is retweeting his visit to a VR arcade in Japan that uses HTC Vive

In fact Jpn devs has been getting him to try their vr stuffs. He’s a mini celebrity there

ArtHands

That's not really true, Trump gets a ton of coverage in Japan.

Having lots of coverage doesnt necessary mean the common citizens are caring though. They have bigger stuffs to care. Like North Korea, who just launched 2 missiles over Hokkaido recently. And in fact Trump just threatened to take action against North Korea. If they care, they are probably backing his stance against North Korea.

They will only care about how Trump’s actions will affect their country. Not what Trump is doing to the US. They probably dont even know or care much about Palmer Luckey’s political stance.

onanie

I dont think Japan care about what view he is having. Even YOSP is retweeting his visit to a VR arcade in Japan that uses HTC Vive

In fact Jpn devs has been getting him to try their vr stuffs. He’s a mini celebrity there

Regardless of what Japan cares about, HTC's choice for endorsement is interesting.

HTC is a Taiwanese company, they don't care. Or at least don't until the (backfire)fire is burning their door, which sadly isn't likely to happen in Asia.

NandoGip

be7.jpg

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
He's also doing some ironic normie otaku adult VR stuff at a renowned JAV pool. I need to try to make him a pariah in Japan so I can stop coming across these stupid ass photos of him.

farting

Banned
welp! time to boycott HTC now! i was going to buy a vive because i'd already boycotted oculus but now what do I buy?

I'm sure all those people who said they wouldn't support anything Oculus related because of their association with him will be along any minute to say they're selling their Vives. Any minute now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
He was tweeting earlier in the month about buying the Vive division from HTC.

That wouldn't make much sense. Valve owns the underlying tech, not HTC. While HTC owns the Vive name and the product itself, it's basically just a manufacturing and distribution partner. Luckey would find himself with a good brand but a product he couldn't ship and no path forward as Valve would take the revised technology to an actual manufacturer with actual manufacturing ability and an actual distribution network.

Top Bottom