• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Panasonic Exhibits Prototype of First Next Generation Blu-ray Disc Player At CES 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the point in bringing out a "new" Blu Ray format when the price of current Blu Ray is still so high that DVD is still what most people are buying. By most people I mean joe public, not enthusiasts.

Current BR needs to crash in price, it's been too expensive for too long.

New Blu Rays are overpriced but I can get semi-new movies at Amazon or in the sale bin in the supermarket for like $8.

Is there a site or something that compares BR to say 1080p Netflix? I'd like the see the difference in quality here

Blu-ray vs. Netflix

Netflix did even worse than Amazon on Demand. The audio was much less dynamic than with either of the other two services, and the image contained even less detail. Overall, the picture quality was less like HD and more like a DVD upscaled to HD by your TV, while audio quality was DVD-level or worse.

Another streamed title I compared with its Blu-ray version was Amélie, which is available through Amazon on Demand. There was no comparison between the streamed version from Amazon and the Amelie disc. Fine textures in a child’s jacket looked clear and distinct on the Blu-ray, while I could barely see the textures on the same jacket with the streamed version. A shot of a concrete curb was flat, dull, and lacking fine detail on the Amazon version, while I could see textures and tiny cracks in the Blu-ray one.

Worse yet, the 2.35:1 aspect ratio image seen on the Amélie Blu-ray has been reformatted to 16:9 for streaming via Amazon. This meant that not only were the black bars gone, but picture content had been cropped from the sides of the image.

Theonik

I would like to see this. I wonder if 100GB is enough. I hope so.

EDIT: Well, if they only start off with 50GB then I'd be much more concerned about the potential hit to image quality. 100GB would be a lot safer. I suppose we'll have to wait and see for now.
100GB is enough for 137 minutes of content at the maximum rate of 100mbps as described here. A 50GB BD can fit 171 minutes of content at its maximum rate of 40mbps. The smaller variants of each format can fit 68.5 and 85 minutes respectively.
The effects of this remain to be seen, and it should be noted that this is just a prototype and the spec is not really set in stone at all.

The market is rushing to 4K way too quickly. I'm sure 50% of the world doesn't even regularly get 1080p programming
They didn't have much choice. The 1080p market was siniking and displays would be generally be sold at a loss. This is why they tried to revive it with 3D and when that failed they threw UHD out there. By the end of 2015 we should start getting some good use from these displays though and already there is benefit.

I'm glad as I've been watching 1080p content for almost a decade now. I'm ready to move on.
You will be stuck in 1080p content for a while still these won't start coming till the end of 2015 and I doubt 4K disks will hit that fast after that (though 4K is already common in digital masters so they will roll them much faster than 1080p was but I don't see them flooding the market, so a decent catalogue by 2016 maybe if the market doesn't tank again.)

By far the best quality media available so yes, those of us that buy big expensive TVs care.
It's not even just big expensive TVs. I can tell a huge difference in video quality even on cheap $300 TVs. The quality of streaming is nowhere close. I mean seriously... There are reports that Netflix 4K barely matches 1080p Blu-Ray.

It's amazing what levels of mediocrity people are willing to accept for a cheaper price or convenience.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
You will be stuck in 1080p content for a while still these won't start coming till the end of 2015 and I doubt 4K disks will hit that fast after that (though 4K is already common in digital masters so they will roll them much faster than 1080p was but I don't see them flooding the market, so a decent catalogue by 2016 maybe if the market doesn't tank again.)

Yup, so the faster the better.

My 4K TV is 55", and I notice a difference.

Omigosh ... do I have SUPERPOWERS???
Did I say you couldn't see a difference? If no one is going to read what I actually write, then I'm not needed here, and you guys can carry on arguing with things you wish I'd said.

People still care about Blu Ray?

People still care about quality and physical ownership?

Did I say you couldn't see a difference? If no one is going to read what I actually write, then I'm not needed here, and you guys can carry on arguing with things you wish I'd said.

Maybe start writing something instead of staying ambiguous then. If it makes a difference then you can consider it needed.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Then why make a post that implies you need large tvs to enjoy 4k content?

Jeff-DSA

Like this one?

resolution_chart.jpg

Amazing. Do people really believe this?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This is definitely going to be a niche product.

Everyone is moving to streaming. Convenience always trumps quality. I wonder if there will even be enough demand for studios to publish movies in this format.

Physical media is too much of a pain in the ass.

jmdajr

This is definitely going to be a niche product.

Everyone is moving to streaming. Convenience always trumps quality. I wonder if there will even be enough demand for studios to publish movies in this format.

Physical media is too much of a pain in the ass.

That works.

Oersted

It's not even just big expensive TVs. I can tell a huge difference in video quality even on cheap $300 TVs. The quality of streaming is nowhere close. I mean seriously... There are reports that Netflix 4K barely matches 1080p Blu-Ray.

It's amazing what levels of mediocrity people are willing to accept for a cheaper price or convenience.

People hear mp3 files on their Beats. Don't expect too much.

People hear mp3 files on their Beats. Don't expect too much.

Thank God.

Everytime I see these format wars arguments and streaming is the end all be all... My audiophile head always goes to this argument.

There is a place for blu-ray no matter how niche it is... It will stick around. And junkies and hardcore purists will purchase mass amounts of updated works in blu-ray just because thats their thing.

Vashetti

Banned
I wonder how many of our favourite movies will never see a 4K Blu-ray release?

Movies like Star Wars Episode 2+3 were only ever filmed in 1080p, so a 4K Blu-ray release would literally just be an upscale.

I wonder how many of our favourite movies will never see a 4K Blu-ray release?

Movies like Star Wars Episode 2+3 were only ever filmed in 1080p, so a 4K Blu-ray release would literally just be an upscale.

Well, with upscales probably more than we would like. Even our favorite movies like Episode 2 + 3.

I don't think too many, but I don't really mind.

Vyer

....yeah, I think I might almost be done with buying more physical media formats after Blu Ray. DVD --> BR saw a drop in titles I bought, and I'm sure that drop will be even more significant with whatever comes next. there are a few titles I'll always want physical media of, but that list feels like it's going to get even smaller.

Streaming is at the point where it's more than acceptable for me and I have such a wealth of options now as well. I think it's time to step off the hamster wheel whenever ULTRA HD MEGA BLU RAY comes around.

I've got 500 blu rays and I'm perfectly ok with blu ray. I don't see a reason to upgrade, unlike when blu ray came out and dvd wasn't cutting it.
Maybe if the next batch of consoles include 4k I might jump in. Meh.

I'm amazed people would actually pay the same or more than an actual disc to give up their rights of owning a physical copy just to have it digital at lower quality. I've been watching 1080p since 2006, so I am ready for an upgrade to 4K. The film industry has gotten pretty obnoxious with ads and warnings before movies on disc though.

CDX

10-bit gradation
Previous Blu-ray Discs displayed the color signals (Y, Cb, Cr) in 8-bit gradation each (256 gradations). By expanding this to 10-bit gradation each (1,024 gradations), even minute signals can be faithfully reproduced to realize richly textured video.

BT.2020 wide color gamut
Compliant with the ITU-R BT.2020 wide color gamut signal formulated for 4K/8K broadcasting. Enables vividly rich coloration not previously possible on Blu-ray discs (BT.709 standard).

These 2 things have me more excited for the format than the resolution increase.

But before getting this new bluray format, I'll wait until TVs are made that can actually display the extra BT.2020 colors.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
One time some rich dude I met who couldn't keep his mouth shut said they were working on some digital-only box back in 08. I wonder what ever came of that?

The 4K Player Sony has had out for 1-2 years?

What is the point in bringing out a "new" Blu Ray format when the price of current Blu Ray is still so high that DVD is still what most people are buying. By most people I mean joe public, not enthusiasts.

Current BR needs to crash in price, it's been too expensive for too long.

What are you talking about? I regularly can and will buy BluRay movies that are well below 10 dollars.

MaxDOL

Is 10bit color the same as Anime scene 10bit encode.
If yes then it mean we got hardware that can play latest fansub encode.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Is there a site or something that compares BR to say 1080p Netflix? I'd like the see the difference in quality here

Netflix Picture and Audio Quality is actually pretty terrible. So much compression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom