• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paper Mario Color Splash announced

Aisadgh.jpg

It's pretty clear that something as adventurous with the Mario IP as Rogueport will never happen in a Mario game again.

RagnarokX

The boss battle complaint from Sticker Star is dumb. Do you have to be a psychic to know what stickers to use? No, you just have to use your head and follow context clues.

The boss fight I'm in takes place in a giant baseball stadium, and the boss pitches sections of it's body at me...I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO USE?!

I seriously had no idea this was a complaint as I always found the answer to be pretty obvious.
You have to be psychic to know what stickers you need to bring with you into battle. The boss battles are pretty much puzzles that require those special stickers and if you don't have them you're pretty much dead.

We already know it shares one problem. The resources you expend to explore the environment are the same ones you expend to battle.

But we don't know that for sure. It uses things but for all we know they addressed the issues that made things a problem in Sticker Star. As long as you don't have to backtrack and re-collect things every time you use one it should be fine. They should be in your inventory permanently and have a cost to use.

Wow, so much negativity over the game which doesn't even have a trailer...

Can we all at least agree that this game looks gorgeous?

The game looks exactly like an HD Paper Mario which I've dreamt about since the artwork for Paper Mario: Sticker Star:

It's the first Wii U game for a very long time which managed to impress me visually. I am pretty sure I haven't experienced this since E3 2014.

Kinsei

Banned
Well, it looks great but what can we expect from the gameplay?

The battle gameplay they showed looks exactly like sticker star. You collect stickers cards that have limited uses and use these limited resources in battle as your attacks. While the cards don't seem to be used on the overworld like stickers are, the paint you use to fill them in is.

You have to be psychic to know what stickers you need to bring with you into battle. The boss battles are pretty much puzzles that require those special stickers and if you don't have them you're pretty much dead.

But we don't know that for sure. It uses things but for all we know they addressed the issues that made things a problem in Sticker Star. As long as you don't have to backtrack and re-collect things every time you use one it should be fine. They should be in your inventory permanently and have a cost to use.

The trailer shows that you have to use your paint to color in the card to use it in battle, the saem paint you need to use to color in the world to progress.

Chindogg

At this point I don't know who's worse between Metroid fans crying over Federation Force or Paper Mario fans crying over this game.

Neither game's out yet. They're different from their predecessors. It's best to wait and see how they turn out before getting all huffy about it.

Geez.

Kinsei

Banned
At this point I don't know who's worse between Metroid fans crying over Federation Force or Paper Mario fans crying over this game.

Neither game's out yet. They're different from their predecessors. It's best to wait and see how they turn out before getting all huffy about it.

Geez.

This game isn't different than it's predecessor, that's the problem a lot have with it.

Yukinari

God that looks hideous (compared to the new game)

Yeah a horrible pixelated screenshot isnt a good way to represent TYD.

But lets say that the game did look hideous, it still looks like a true sequel to the 64 title just because of all the extra characters in that shot.

Pokemaniac

Geez.

Actually, this one needs to be more different from it's predecessor.

Geez.

i dont give a damn about Federation Force but we have already got 2 different paper mario games that aren't like the first two, sure super paper mario wasn't bad but i wouldn't say it was better that the first two and don't even get me started on sticker star

problem isn't people aren't letting try to be something different, they already know what something different is and they don't want it

The game looks exactly like an HD Paper Mario which I've dreamt about since the artwork for Paper Mario: Sticker Star:

It's the first Wii U game for a very long time which managed to impress me visually. I am pretty sure I haven't experienced this since E3 2014.

Actually, I don't really like the style of the game, haha. A couple of people have mentioned it before, but there's something about the design that looks like it was one of those "_____ in Unreal Engine 4" projects. I'm also not a fan of how much they lean on the paper theme. I get that things are made of paper, but I don't think they need to give everything that cardboard look. I felt the same about Tearaway. I prefer the look of the earlier games. Sorry. Could be rose-tinted glasses and such. :p

Mory Dunz

Geez.

At least Metroid is a shooter lol.

I'm...not even sure what this is.

About the graphics, it's weird. They look nice, but they almost look....too "papery". Like, the world feels kinda confined. Like that screenshot posted before. But we'll have to see more maps

Actually, I don't really like the style of the game, haha. A couple of people have mentioned it before, but there's something about the design that looks like it was one of those "_____ in Unreal Engine 4" projects. I'm also not a fan of how much they lean on the paper theme. I get that things are made of paper, but I don't think they need to give everything that cardboard look. I felt the same about Tearaway. I prefer the look of the earlier games. Sorry. Could be rose-tinted glasses and such. :p

yeah, same. TTYD and Sticker Star had a nice balance of graphics. Not too papery like tearaway (it works for tearaway though).

Hope the OST is good...

I feel like the action/adventure aspects could be fun so long as they're not too similar to Sticker Star. We'll see! I prob won't buy it but ye

udivision

Although Sticker Star is praised for this... I don't really care about the cardboard world aesthetic. I'm fine either way. You can do cool things with it, but it makes things look a bit "fake" (ha) in a series that did so much to flesh out the Mario world. But I won't dock points from Color Splash for that.

Sagittal

Banned
A typical way to end the Wii U's life, with further disappointment. Let's hope this game turns out to be more than a pretty husk. Regardless of the NXs lineup, I won't be going near Nintendo hardware for a good while, they are running out of IPs to ruin now.

Bakkus

This whole thread reads like a funeral lol.

Honestly, TTYD fans is more apropos now. Paper Mario hasn't been a proper RPG for two generations now.

I do think we'll get a TTYD sequel for NX.

This is a swan song Wii U title, so it's less ambitious.

Please, there have been tons of swan song 'end of console cycle' games before from Nintendo with lots of ambition even excluding Twilight Princess and the upcoming Zelda due to cross platform.

Geez.

It's not different than it's predecessor. It's very similar to a predecessor that was negatively received by many fans.

I don't really see why fans aren't allowed to be upset that the new game takes after the one the majority of people disliked rather than the ones that the majority of people liked. I also don't see how any negative reception to an unreleased game is now considered "whining".

RagnarokX

The battle gameplay they showed looks exactly like sticker star. You collect stickers cards that have limited uses and use these limited resources in battle as your attacks. While the cards don't seem to be used on the overworld like stickers are, the paint you use to fill them in is.

The trailer shows that you have to use your paint to color in the card to use it in battle, the saem paint you need to use to color in the world to progress.

But the problem in Sticker Star was that if you used a thing sticker the sticker would leave your inventory and you'd have to go collect the thing again and transform it into a sticker again.

If thing cards stay in your inventory and just cost x amount of paint to use then that fixes the main problem with them.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Man with half the threads after the Direct it feels like you people don't even like video games. Paper Mario "not a real Paper Mario" Metroid Federation Force "not a real Metroid" it's like Christ, there's no way a game could be fun or okay unless it fits this hyper-specific set of criteria. Ya'll gotta find a way for the announcement of a video game to not make you MISERABLE like this. This shit's supposed to be FUN.

Maybe it's not exactly what you would have liked but the anger, the disgust, is wholly uncalled for.

Geez.

I'm glad there is sanity here.

Anyhow, really liking how this looks in motion.

Trevelyan

Banned
Man with half the threads after the Direct it feels like you people don't even like video games. Paper Mario "not a real Paper Mario" Metroid Federation Force "not a real Metroid" it's like Christ, there's no way a game could be fun or okay unless it fits this hyper-specific set of criteria. Ya'll gotta find a way for the announcement of a video game to not make you MISERABLE like this. This shit's supposed to be FUN.

Maybe it's not exactly what you would have liked but the anger, the disgust, is wholly uncalled for.

I like you a lot. Couldn't have said this better myself.

:(

Man with half the threads after the Direct it feels like you people don't even like video games. Paper Mario "not a real Paper Mario" Metroid Federation Force "not a real Metroid" it's like Christ, there's no way a game could be fun or okay unless it fits this hyper-specific set of fucking criteria. Ya'll gotta find a way for the announcement of a video game to not make you MISERABLE like this. This shit's supposed to be FUN.

I don't understand why a lot of these people simply don't... expand their gaming horizons. There are TONS of modern alternatives to classic Nintendo franchises today if you own other systems.

Paper Mario -> South Park: Stick of Truth, Steven Universe iOS, etc (Mario & Luigi could even be argued :p)

Metroid -> Axiom Verge, Shantae, Toki Tori, etc

Zelda -> Dark Souls, Bloodborne, etc

F-Zero -> Wipe Out

Get out there and get a new system. I love Nintendo to death but it's becoming more and more apparent to me that outside of Zelda, there's not much for me on Nintendo consoles anymore. Once you get over this fact and expand your horizons, you will likely be a much happier gamer.

Exile20

Ye it does look really good but Paper Mario is all about the gameplay.

It'd be pretty simple and would probably shut a lot of fans up if Nintendo simply released a remake of Paper Mario 1 ala OoT 3D with these new graphics, a higher difficulty option, and maybe a few extra goodies. They already have a decent amount of work cut out for them, with all the animations for many lead characters and enemies done already.

I know I'd probably buy it.

As a counter, I don't get the "Stop being so angry," "No speculation about the game please, you've only seen a trailer", "You haven't played it yet", "You just want the old game again" type posts that are made in relation to those two games.

A lot of people aren't happy with what they're seeing, or (specifically in this game's case) played Sticker Star and really didn't like it, and are sad that the new game is seemingly just like it. Why shouldn't they be commenting negatively about it if they have a negative impression of it? Why should their negative opinions get brushed off as "just whining that the game isn't exactly like a previous game" or, as you put it, it doesn't "meet a specific criteria"? Asking people to wait for a game to be out to react to any media about a game is pretty ridiculous.

I mean, Star Fox Zero is probably a better game now than it would have been if it didn't get so much negative reception last year.

zeromcd73

Like Sticker Star and not an RPG? Eww yuck.

Hoping that this is just saw low budget low effort game just to prop up the Wii U as its final exclusive while they're actually working on a much better game for NX.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
As a counter, I don't get the "Stop being so angry," "No speculation about the game please, you've only seen a trailer", "You haven't played it yet", "You just want the old game again" type posts that are made in relation to those two games.

A lot of people aren't happy with what they're seeing, or played Sticker Star and really didn't like it, and are sad that the new game is seemingly just like it. Why shouldn't they be commenting negatively about it if they have a negative impression of it? Why should their negative opinions get brushed off as "just whining that the game isn't exactly like a previous game" or, as you put it, "meet a specific criteria".

No problem with people commenting negatively whatsoever. "Boy, I wish this had been more like TTYD, kind of a bummer." Now, "God damn gimmick. I want a normal Paper Mario," that's where people need to re-evaluate their priorities.

Top Bottom